: Over time, a number of changes have occurred with how demigod and ascendant powers are acquired and maintained and how much power can be generated by an organization, making it worthwhile to review how Vernal Ascendants are raised and maintained by an organization. Currently, it costs an org 2 million power to raise their first 2 ascendants, the cost doubling for each ascendant thereafter. In addition, any player below demigod who is raised is immediately promoted the requisite number of levels to 101 and demigods lose 2/3 of their essence upon becoming a Vernal. However, this was when both the Ascendant and demigod skills were static and not customizeable. It is my belief (correct me if I am wrong) that the original system intended for Ascendants to be raised of many flavours (exceptional combatants, diplomats, storytellers, researchers, etc) but what we have in the modern environment is a system where combatants (particularly those whom enjoy holding domoths) hold the lion's share of Ascendant spots compared to those who excel in other areas, to this I feel the system falls short of the original intent. In addition, it is a tremendous, often stifling, responsibility to an organization to continually hold domoths and otherwise carry the weight of an organization on one's shoulders...not for a day, month, or year but for as long as one holds the title of Vernal Ascendant. This can easily lead to player discontent and burnout as the implied and explicit responsibility takes enjoyment out of what otherwise should be an entirely voluntary activity: enjoying the game when and how one wants.
: In place of the current system, consider the following -
- Allow each organization Vernal Ascendant "slots", the first of which is free. Subsequent slots cost 2 million power, doubling thereafter. Any Vernal Demigod may occupy this slot and be raised to a Vernal Ascendant, gaining access to any Ascendant powers as is available currently.
- Instead of the current system of raising individuals straight to Vernal Ascendants, instead change it to raising Vernal Demigods from normal Demigods for 1 million power each. Individuals below the level of Demigod would no longer be able to be raised by this method.
- If an organization has an Ascendant "slot" free, they may raise any current Vernal Demigod to an Ascendant at the cost of 250k power. If no slot is free, a current Ascendant must either step down or be descended to free up the slot - this process would no longer refund power to the organization. The process of going from Vernal Demigod -> Vernal Ascendant or Vernal Ascendant -> Vernal Demigod is limited to once per game year.
- Remove the 2/3 essence loss incurred by individuals who go from Demigod to Ascendant.
- As is the case currently, Ascendant powers in excess of the first free one go dormant once one becomes a Vernal Demigod along with the other perks available to Ascendants.
- Current Vernal Ascendants would be grandfathered under these changes, however, an organization with more active Ascendants than the current number of slots available would have to descend individuals or increase the number of slots until one is free.
Let's say it's a fresh start under this system and Magnagora wants two Vernal Ascendants. Since Thalkros is already a Vernal Ascendant, he would be grandfathered and remain a VA. Then let's say, Thoros would want to be a VA again and the city approves. Since in this situation, Magnagora only has one slot, they would first have to spend 2 million power to free a second slot. As Thoros is already a Vernal Demigod, it would take an additional 250k power to raise him to VA.
Now let's say Thalkros wants to take a break and instead of punishing his org for the inactivity, decides to ask to be descended to a Vernal Demigod. The Iron Council does this and makes him a Vernal Demigod, essentially causing all except one of his ascendant abilities to go dormant. They then can raise another individual to VA at the cost of 1 million power to make that individual a Vernal Demigod, then spend an additional 250k power to make this individual a Vernal Ascendant for a total of 1.25m power. A year goes by and things are (tainted!) peaches and cream but Thoros and Thalkros want to switch spots. The Council mutterrs and groans but allow it...thereby descending Thoros (for 0 net power) and ascending Thalkros (for a 250k power cost), once again activating Thalkros' ascendant skills.
The purpose behind this change is to allow more flexibility for an organization to choose whom to ascend without the severe punishment in power cost for making such changes while still limiting the amount of Vernal Ascendants available at any given time by essentially time-sharing the slot. In addition, an organization is more free to acknowledge the accomplishments of individuals with Vernal-hood without the overburdening thought about whether said individual will increase the combative (damn you domoths!) strength of the organization as a whole as this should maintain a small pool of Vernal Ascendants with a larger pool of Vernal Demigods.