What are the rules for posting RP logs?

ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
I was told today that if someone tells you not to post something from a log, you can't post it. I wasn't aware of such rule.

Are there other rules on the forums for posting logs I, or anyone, should be aware of?

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I don't know that that's a formal rule, but if someone doesn't want logs made public and they ask you not to post it, common courtesy would say you don't make it public. I know I have some logs I would love to share but there are IC secrets in them that might be spoiled, so I hold them to myself.

• ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    I'm not aware of any set of hard rules, but these are the guidelines that I generally follow:
    • If it's sensitive IG information (related to city, guild, order, family, etc.) that can potentially be abused by metagamers, better not to post it.
    • In-depth information about your god/goddess that they reveal to only a select few, better not to post it. E.g. information revealed from order quests.
    • If it's defaming a character or might make someone upset to see it, better not to post it.
    • If it's more fun for someone to find out about IG (like phruit), please don't post it!
    • If it's a personal RP log between you and someone else, ask them for permission to be safe!
    • If someone asks you not to post something, don't post it! It may upset them and hurt their trust in you.
    • Also no posting issues.

If in doubt, ask permission!

• I get really sad because I have -lots- of things that are really awesome.  Especially things between Kio and Nihta, Kio and the Shadowdancers, and Kio and Tacita.  However, I won't ever post them because they could ruin the experience of interacting with Kio!

Just like Lavinya said - if there are IC secrets, it's generally a good idea to keep it like a treasured gem.  If I know I'm RPing with someone who posts logs, I try to always explicitly tell them whether or not I'm comfortable sharing it (just like I told you half through the RP).  However, if someone asks you not to post something because they're in it, it's polite not to.

It's kind of like you and a group of friends talking about something you don't think is that important, so when you get home, you post it on facebook or twitter.  Suddenly, everyone everywhere knows it's a thing, and something that doesn't mean much to you might mean a whooooooole lot to them!
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    edited July 2013
    Kio said:
    I get really sad because I have -lots- of things that are really awesome.  Especially things between Kio and Nihta, Kio and the Shadowdancers, and Kio and Tacita.  However, I won't ever post them because they could ruin the experience of interacting with Kio!

Just like Lavinya said - if there are IC secrets, it's generally a good idea to keep it like a treasured gem.  If I know I'm RPing with someone who posts logs, I try to always explicitly tell them whether or not I'm comfortable sharing it (just like I told you half through the RP).  However, if someone asks you not to post something because they're in it, it's polite not to.

It's kind of like you and a group of friends talking about something you don't think is that important, so when you get home, you post it on facebook or twitter.  Suddenly, everyone everywhere knows it's a thing, and something that doesn't mean much to you might mean a whooooooole lot to them!
    Sort of feel like I'd understand this analogy better if I had one. But I do see your point.

Zyphora said:
    I'm not aware of any set of hard rules, but these are the guidelines that I generally follow:
    • If it's sensitive IG information (related to city, guild, order, family, etc.) that can potentially be abused by metagamers, better not to post it.
    • In-depth information about your god/goddess that they reveal to only a select few, better not to post it. E.g. information revealed from order quests.
    • If it's defaming a character or might make someone upset to see it, better not to post it.
    • If it's more fun for someone to find out about IG (like phruit), please don't post it!
    • If it's a personal RP log between you and someone else, ask them for permission to be safe!
    • If someone asks you not to post something, don't post it! It may upset them and hurt their trust in you.
    • Also no posting issues.

If in doubt, ask permission!
    This list could stand to be stickied to the Event Logs subforum. As someone coming from chat-RPs and forum-RPs, there was no such thing as "don't share the RP logs", really. Edit: If you didn't want to share with someone outside of the forum, it was as simple as not linking them, as for the chats you just didn't say it, it was understood that if it hits a public viewing place (the chatroom, the boards) that it wasn't unsharable.

Edit edit: Forum formatting gave up on life for quotes, on me. :(
  • Zyphora said:
    This is something I don't understand.  How do you metagame RP?

Also, I struggled a bit with this before Kio started interacting with Gabriella.  Their interactions didn't start until after I read the logs of the Nocht/Shikari stuff happening to Gabriella IG.  I wrestled with even starting what I wanted to do for a couple of RL days before deciding to go through with it, with the reasoning being that Kio doesn't know this stuff ICly and wanted to talk to Gabriella because of her shout during the whole Maylea getting injured for all the Basin to see thing.  Honestly, I worry a little bit that, if everything develops the way I'm hoping it does (and is so far), that it may be perceived as being related when, in fact, it's just an IC coincidence.
  • 1. No posting confidential information. Confidential information includes but is not limited to any type of non-public documentation including, but not limited to, non-disclosure agreements and private Iron Realms employee or volunteer contact information. Also, do not post alternative characters of any other player without their strict permission.

Also restricted is in-character information of a sensitive sort, the posting of which may prejudice in game behaviour, such as confidential order/guild/city information in the form of channel transcripts, help files, private posts, member lists, or similar.

• ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::

Kio said:
    Zyphora said:

Also, I struggled a bit with this before Kio started interacting with Gabriella.  Their interactions didn't start until after I read the logs of the Nocht/Shikari stuff happening to Gabriella IG.  I wrestled with even starting what I wanted to do for a couple of RL days before deciding to go through with it, with the reasoning being that Kio doesn't know this stuff ICly and wanted to talk to Gabriella because of her shout during the whole Maylea getting injured for all the Basin to see thing.  Honestly, I worry a little bit that, if everything develops the way I'm hoping it does (and is so far), that it may be perceived as being related when, in fact, it's just an IC coincidence.

Sometimes RP may involve something like talking about the breaking of/forging of IG alliances among organizations. If someone outside that RP session got hold of that information, they might influence things to turn out differently than they would have if they hadn't had that information.

What if Celest and Glomdoring were negotiating an alliance, and Serenwilde (already allied with Celest) were not aware? Perhaps Celest and Glomdoring are plotting to kill the Avatars while Serenwilde doesn't have any viable allies. If Serenwilde caught wind of this secret alliance, they'd quickly ally themselves with, say, Magnagora, and have more force to repel the attack than if they were alone.

That's the example that comes to mind.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Kio said:
    Zyphora said:

It's always harder to pretend your character doesn't know something when you do. Certainly not impossible! But hard and even tempting. Some people may well take the information and use it - maybe a log will show a Celestian making friends with a viscanti. No one in the game might even suspect, but someone could read the log, go AHA GOING TO BUST THEM and then make a point of catching them out and punishing them or something, but without the log, they'd have no clue about it, and their character would have no motives to snoop or suspect anything. That's just a random (and probably poor) example, but it shows how some people might metagame from logs.

That being said, I really enjoy getting to read logs from people I would otherwise never get to rp with. I can enjoy them from afar! (And be inspired to alt :-\" )