Position of the sun

Is there ever a direction given to where the sun rises/sets/zeniths/anything? I've been looking through the ambients over an hour, but haven't seen anything of note, really, but there might be other cases (quests etc) that I don't know of.

Best Answer

Answers

• edited August 2013
    Or, for that matter, the position of planets/the moon/astrological signs?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord

Ssaliss said:
    Or, for that matter, the position of plants/the moon/astrological signs?
    Well, I know at least one of these!  The plants are underfoot, excepting for mistletoe which likes to vine around overhead in the tree branches.
  • Wiseguy :P
    Given that the Basin is large enough for distinct differences in temperature (the southern Basin is far warmer than the north), I'm not sure it's possible for the sun to sit "directly" overhead everywhere.  I think that's more of a flavour thing than something you can actually rely on for the purposes of this discussion.
  • Hmm. The "sits directly overhead" is one I didn't know about! I suppose that does prove that Lusternia rotates around its own axis, which was what I was kinda curious about. Doesn't say if it rotates east-to-west or west-to-east though, but yeah, might as well go with west-to-east in that case.
  • Xenthos said:
    Given that the Basin is large enough for distinct differences in temperature (the southern Basin is far warmer than the north), I'm not sure it's possible for the sun to sit "directly" overhead everywhere.  I think that's more of a flavour thing than something you can actually rely on for the purposes of this discussion.
    Clearly, that is just caused by global warming created by Magnagora.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Hmm. The "sits directly overhead" is one I didn't know about! I suppose that does prove that Lusternia rotates around its own axis, which was what I was kinda curious about. Doesn't say if it rotates east-to-west or west-to-east though, but yeah, might as well go with west-to-east in that case.
    North to south!

Xenthos said:
    I'd say that really depends on the sun's distance from the surface. Plus, I'm not sure you can assume that seasons are caused strictly by the sun's location.
    I am not really talking about seasons; even in the summer, Serenwilde is generally cooler than Glomdoring. This has always left me with the impression that the Basin is situated rather like the United States. A small chunk of the overall planetary surface, but large enough to sprawl across entirely a huge swathe of different biomes (from the border with Mexico to an area roughly equivalent to southern Canada). The permanently snowy places tend to be up in the mountainous regions (snow valley, Rikenfriez, etc). Glomdoring pretty much never sees snow (ala Texas / Florida).

To me, this lends credence to an east-west or a west-east movement of the sun (because I am sure that there are messages about it spreading its "life-giving warmth," indicating that it is the main source of heat in this world too).
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited August 2013
    You're saying that it takes us three weeks longer than everyone else to decide who won an election?

This then also makes me wonder on where the geographical location of the Basin is, while clearly not as far north as Icewynd (hello Canada) it's definitely northern Hemisphere.

Also has me wondering whereabouts Dio and Lirangsha are in relation to the Basin.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Dio could be anywhere, really.

I feel like Icewynd's pretty close to the arctic circle region of the planet.  It never really thaws at all, even in the "low" parts.
  • I'm fairly sure the length of day doesn't change with the seasons at least in terms of game mechanics (when the ambients happen, when you can do night and day things, etc.).

I had thought the Book of Aslarn shed some light on the path of sun and moon in the sky, but it doesn't seem to suggest directions either.

The other thing that informs the seasons is the way Etherwilde is arranged.  When I was in Her order I once asked Lisaera to shed some light on where the seasons come from and She got all pissy at me for asking, awakening some painful memory.  Always hoped that meant that there was going to eventually be a canon answer, perhaps in the Elder Wars which were still being written at the time, but if one ever came, I didn't hear about it.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Lendren said:

When I was in Her order I once asked Lisaera to shed some light on where the seasons come from and She got all pissy at me for asking, awakening some painful memory.  Always hoped that meant that there was going to eventually be a canon answer, perhaps in the Elder Wars which were still being written at the time, but if one ever came, I didn't hear about it.

That likely just meant she didn't want to have to make something up on the fly that would end up being non-canon in the end :(
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    The sun is a LIE. There is only the Night.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Shaddus said:
    When I was in Her order I once asked Lisaera to shed some light on where the seasons come from and She got all pissy at me for asking, awakening some painful memory.  Always hoped that meant that there was going to eventually be a canon answer, perhaps in the Elder Wars which were still being written at the time, but if one ever came, I didn't hear about it.
    That likely just meant she didn't want to have to make something up on the fly that would end up being non-canon in the end :( 
    Yeah, but it did make me hope something would eventually come of it, but nothing ever did.  If no one's ever explained the seasons or why they're separated in time on Prime but in space on Ethereal by now, seems likely they never will.  Just feels like an interesting exploration of Lusternia history and spiritualism that got left dangling and unused.