Expanding upon the Paths of Nihilism/Celestialism

edited October 2013 in Ideas
Recently in a discussion concerning changes to the mechanics of lusternia, I had mentioned the idea of broadening the flavor of the Nihilism and Celestialism kits in order to bring them more on par with Transmology and Harmonics (in terms of flavors and general fun).

These are in no ways 'buffs', but merely ideas and concepts to further enhance the flavor and RP associated with a priest/guardian devoting themselves to a particular 'Super Being'.

Angels/Demons:

As it currently stands, every Celestine and Nihilist summon the same minion in accordance with their skill level in their respected skills. (I will be mainly focusing upon Nihilists in these examples as it makes it easier to simply get my point across). Concerning Nihilists, they summon an Imp < fiend < demon < and finally Archdemon. It is my idea that we could perhaps exemplify the 'bond' a Nihilist has with their Demon-Lord by making the final demon summoned change its appearance depending on the Demon they are bonded to.

Examples:

Bonded to Baalphegar: Summon a Demonic Spider to do your biding.
Bonded to Nifilhema:  Summon a Torturous Flayer to do your bidding.
Bonded to Gorgulu: Summon a Ravenous Monstrosity to do your bidding.
Bonded to Ashtorath: Summon an Raging Enforcer to do your bidding.
Bonded to Luciphage: Summon an Imperial Archdemon to do your bidding. (I left him with the Archdemon)

Bashing Attack:

This can be further enhanced by adjusting the Nihilist's second 'bashing' skill to exemplify their 'devotion'. Currently the second ability is Demonweb, an ability which makes the nihilist shoot strings of webbing at their target and burns the victim from the poisons embedded within. This is very Baalphegar-esque, and so my idea was to change it accordingly:

Bonded to Baalphegar: Stays as is

Bonded to Nifilhema:  Changes to Festering Lash

Grasping their symbol, <nihilist> makes a slashing movement towards <target>. An ethereal red lash bursts from the symbol and speeds towards you, flaying away exposed flesh and leaving behind a pulsing wound dripping with ichor.

Bonded to Gorgulu: Changes to Devour

Grasping the symbol of Gorgulu, <nihilist> turns towards you and chants several unholy phrases. Demonic tendrils suddenly burst from their chest, flaying about with a mind of their own. The tendrils suddenly race towards you, latching onto your limps and body as tiny mouths appear upon the tendril's surface and begin biting and rending your flesh. Pushing them back with what will you can muster, the tendrils eventually retreat and curl back into the body of <nihilist>.

Bonded to Ashtorath: Changes to Enraged Scream.

The symbol of Ashtorath briefly appears above <nihilist's> forehead as he turns to face you, eyes almost burning from the hate held within. <nihilist> opens their mouth and releases an earth-shattering bellow towards you. Your flesh suddenly begins to bubble from an intense unknown heat, as if you are burning alive, yet you are not exposed to any. What feels like an eternity, the alien shout consumes your every sense, until it finally subsides and leaves your flesh burnt and bruised.

Bonded to Luciphage: Changes to Master's Control.

Pointing the symbol of Luciphage at you, <nihilist> speaks several harsh phrases and a dark light begins to emit from it. Your mind suddenly reels as you feel an alien presence take ahold of you. The image of a large demonic being enters your mind, staring down upon you as dark unholy flames encircle you, consuming you whole and damaging your mind. Fighting the strange power, you eventually free yourself from its grasp, the last thing hearing is its sadistic laugh before the vision finally ends.

I hope you like the general idea, and (as I had stated) it can obviously be expanded to Supernals and Celestines. Enjoy.

Comments

• Generally the idea I've heard in this vein was for changing each existing thrall to be special in some way. I guess this's distinct in being purely RP-focused, though. In general, I definitely like it. Two concerns: First, shifting damage types based on pact. I know admins in the past have been reluctant to add damage types shifting over time, although given the nature of deepbonding that might not be a concern here. Unless these all would hit with psychic/poison, of course, but that doesn't really align with the attack messages.

Second, and this is me being kind of pedantic, the current demonweb comes fully from the symbol. I can't speak for the celestian version, but there might be some desire to keep that sort of stuff coming from the symbol instead of the caster's body like they do with Gorgulu and Ashtorath. That's an easy fix, though.

Concerning demonic spiders: click at your own risk, it'll ruin your life.

Oh, there's also the potential issue of inserting and removing abilities to and from an existing skillset, but wiccans seem to manage it well enough and I'm all for one-time quests for ability unlocks.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I wrote this report up a long time ago and never put it up as a pending since wasn't quite sure how it would fit. Your post just reminded me of what I was working on before because I had a somewhat similar idea in expanding more on the deep pacts you create with a Demon Lord and providing a little bit more connection to the guild's roleplay, while also trying to fix investments/thralls in general (since, investing shackles/vapors >>>>>>>>>>>anything else in the long term, which makes it dreadfully boring).

Problem: Although the previous report addressed the issue of the longetivity of scourge/wrath in making it power effective, it failed to address the problem of being more then anything other then setting it up long before combat as a defense and timing it precisely to hit. This report seeks to address that problem and provide more variety to other then using the same old thing (shackles/vapors). Also, its aimed at providing more connection with the Lords/Supernals.

Solution #1: Change Scourge/Wrath to when you scourge the demon, you
    choose darkcall scourge luciphage, or scourge nifilhema, and etc.
    Details to follow.

Luciphage: When scourging Luciphage, normal double attack like how
    scourge is.

Nifilhema: Sensitivity and bleeding on every hit for 10 attacks, only 1
    attack per.

Gorgulu: 1 attack per, always afflicts with one contagion. Has a chance
    to afflict with another contagion 2 or 4 seconds after.

Baalphegar: Completely hidden, provides just a generic line. One attack
    per.

Ashtorath: Both enraged options only one attack: 50% chance to be raged when scourging, when raged, does damage increasing per attacks left. When unraged, provides short balance loss and breaks a limb with each attack.

Elohora: double attack like normal.

Methrenton: sensitivity and bleeding hit, one attack per

Raziela: Always hidden, one attack per.

Japhiel: One attack per, does divinus damage to health and a mana drain

Shakiniel: Not sure, maybe passive shield and something else?
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.