Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited April 2016
    Bonds is defensive. I'm not sure you can argue that. There's no such thing as 'utility' combat skills. It's either protecting from something, or it's negatively affecting your enemies. There isn't really any wiggle room in there.

Edit: I've certainly called for someone to lay down bonds as a defensive measure. Lots of times.

edit2: It's amusing that now a certain someone isn't able to abuse refresh mechanics to constantly meldbomb, they are OP and need to be nerfed.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited April 2016
    Right. Let's play spot the difference between say, hallowedground, holybeing, or moondance light and bonds. 
    One is disabling(?). The others give you the ability to tank half a staff cast or cure off some auxiliary affliction (of which there are many between the offensive roomwide counterparts to the skills listed above) every 10 seconds.

Edit: It's more like a quarter to a fifth of a staffcast. Pretty much all passive cures are in the 5% max health ballpark.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited April 2016
    de·bil·i·tat·ing
    dəˈbiləˌtādiNG/
    adjective
    adjective: debilitating
         (of a disease or condition) making someone very weak and infirm.
             "debilitating back pain"

I do not know why this amuses me so, but it does.  :D  (Yes, I'm sure you're using it in the "to weaken something sense," but... every defensive ability does that, Trueheal is similarly debilitating to a person's
        entire offense, not just a single portion of it)
  • Right. Trueheal is 10 power though and only works on one person. For the same 10 power you could serpent.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Unrelated to the above discussion. Some people make this game more complicated than it needs to be.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    is @Yarith agreeing that bonds is a defensive skill?

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I mean, Healer SDs could be like Institute in that they get to have their cake and eat it too as far as offense and defense goes, but that puts them in a different category, in my mind, than the defensive that comprises most of the North.

Are there other exceptions? Sure. Harmony monks > Stealth monks all the way. But by and large, you have people that are essentially hindered by the defensive skills tacked onto their skillset, because it makes their offense weak in the name of balance, instead of going one way fully or the other.

• Ahaha.

The broad strokes in this thread are broad.

Defensive skills can be used offensively, and offensive skills can be used defensively. See: Heartstone, serpent, trueheal for offensive applications of charging, rushing, getting past barriers. See: paralysis, blindness, entangles and hinders in general for using offensive skills to buy time to heal up.

Skillsets in general have a healthy mix of both defensive and offensive options - some skillsets have unique options for either defensive or offensive intent, and which do their parts way better than their rivals in other skillsets. See: fullmoon for a supercharged green (or cheap trueheal, depending on your perspective), bonds for a supercharged monolith etc.

As a result of these unique modifiers, each org's skillset composition is... well, unique. The sheer strength of some combinations will end up being elevated to being the most obvious, and because they are useful, the most often used abilities of that org. It becomes easy to say "Serenwilde is defensive, Glomdoring is offensive" - but that doesn't mean offensive options are not available to Serenwilde, nor that defensive options are not available to Glomdoring.

Protip: It's not just the SDs and the Institute that has both offensive and defensive options simultaneously. Celest/Serenwilde have arguably the best salve stacks in their monks (the Shofangi prone-lock, pre-nerf, was literally a prone-lock. You could not stay unprone when fighting them) amongst the best def-stripping, lockdown abilities (moon dark and inquisition both remain amongst the most despised, complained about, and frustrating abilities in the game) and, prior to Gaudi/Halli, the best group-splitters in the game (there was no equivalent to pathtwist and currents outside of celest/seren). All of these are abilities that can be used both defensively and offensively, and sometimes, simultaneously both - disabling and hindering the target while building toward a kill or goal.

Mag and Glom also have defensive options that I bet many people in Celest/Seren would pay an arm and a leg to get their hands on. Lichseed, anybody? Not only is it a free self-rezz for everyone in your org, it also brings you back stronger than you were. Night drink and flight, when used properly, can make an SD super tanky. Nowhere near as good a get-out-of-jail-free card as fullmoon, but nothing to scoff at either.

To say that entire orgs are "defensive orientated" and therefore lack options when compared to "offensively orientated" orgs is simply a misunderstanding of how certain abilities become the "identity" of an org. MDs are known as defensive not because they have no offense (you can bet your bippies they have offense), but simply because they choose to use their defensive options so often that it becomes their identity: because that defensive option is itself so efficient that it can be used in so many applications - in both offensive and defensive ways. Just like how the illuminati are known as hinder gods, because, well, they hinder better than anybody. Do they actually lack healing and defensive options? Let's see... customisable resistances, a number of customisable choices between illusion detection, summon resistance, leaping, blindness protection (!), vomiting (aff) protection, health leech, sip enhancer (!!), regeneration or reactive strikes etc...

Let's just say, nope. They aren't exactly lacking in defensive options anymore than Celest/Serenwilde are lacking in offensive options.

• Idea: artifact that reduces balance times on defs.
    Idea: upgraded artifact that eliminates balance times on defs

Caveat: requires oversight regarding which defs should be affected

Neat trick: Tam + upgraded def-up arti = instant class change mid-combat.

• Also, I thought we want to get out of the meta of meld dependency.
    See you in Sapience.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Sylandra said:
    Unrelated to the above discussion. Some people make this game more complicated than it needs to be.
    The story of many a guild advancement system I've seen over the years.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Who is Celina talking about? I don't see Nienla in this thread.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • "Muscles knit together and attach to your skeleton as your body continues to reform.
    Flames lick around you - you are on fire!
    Your flesh is charred, and you receive fourth degree burn"

Oh wow, not sure if funeral pyre, or being born from the flames, or just a scary cycle of hell where you regenerate and get burned at the same time!

I still bugged it,  
  • Secret Pyro power. I don't just kill you, I send you to hell.
    Pleasantly pleased with the fight today.

I know it doesn't seem like you guys made progress, but you certainly did. Broke the meld up a few times, took over the domoth etc. Just gotta stick to it, learn from your mistakes (stay together, stay shielded) and you'll improve as time goes by. It was a good fight all around I think.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Highlight of the fight: breaking Cyndarin's meld in the first time I went up, especially after getting a snarky "thanks" after (accidentally) illusoryterraining a burned room.

• edited April 2016
    :-/ Don't tweets have a maximum character limit?  Find another thread for this malarkey!

edit: The last few were lovely, and I second the appreciation of the absolve fight. That's what I get for leaving a draft in this thread of crankiness :)
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Crap! I keep forgetting to log my Tokota / Adushoc RPs :( . @Enadonella you'd be so proud of what you started.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    It was a good day to come back! I sniped 3 kills, huzzah. You better all be shaking in your boots now. SO SCARY.

• Lavinya said:
    It was a good day to come back! I sniped 3 kills, huzzah. You better all be shaking in your boots now. SO SCARY.
    WHen I first read this, I read "boots" as "boob" hahahahaah! 
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Everiine said:
    Crap! I keep forgetting to log my Tokota / Adushoc RPs :( . @Enadonella you'd be so proud of what you started.
    I'm super proud. But, I am also super sad I can't continue with it. I'm happy and impressed that you have found joy in the RP though and kept it going this long, it has been well over a year! Keen to see the logs. <3
  • Whenever I open tweets, I end up feeling glad that I never bothered to really get into combat.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited April 2016
    Designing this for the Nihilists:

- an oily, gleaming olive latex catsuit ornamented with a triangle of darkened, void crystals;
    - an oily, blood-splattered latex catsuit adorned with a blossoming amaranth;
    - an exposing, half-charred latex catsuit scaled with molten bell fragments;
    - a gleaming black latex catsuit ornamented with an obsidian tome bound in grey silk threads;
    - a heavily fastened, midnight leather catsuit adorned with a spiked throne of the damned.

Hail the Bondage Rangers.

Edit : Seriously, I watched Sin City recently and I had its black, white, red graphics in mind when I started to make them.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited April 2016
    Yehn said:
    Is anyone else reeeaaaally amused by imagining people wearing very serious, fancy clothes... and then a ridiculous pig nose?

Falmiis accurately guessed that if Daraius ever had one, he would politely excuse himself to a private room before using it.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I'm already having a terrible day. And now I'm dreading logging in because the exact same drama I already dealt with like at least twice now has reared its head.

Here is a tip. If you want to run a ministry, ask to be the head of that ministry. Don't continually do things as aide that the Minister has politely asked you not to do.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    I'm already having a terrible day. And now I'm dreading logging in because the exact same drama I already dealt with like at least twice now has reared its head.

Here is a tip. If you want to run a ministry, ask to be the head of that ministry. Don't continually do things as aide that the Minister has politely asked you not to do.

I feel your pain. I have an almost the same, not quite the same, drama brewing situation as well. Something that should have taken a week and a half has taken over a month and is still going on and despite my attempts to remedy the situation or push it to conclusion nothing happens... then to top it off the person causing the issue wants to be rewarded with one of, IMHO, the highest rewards said position could attain, for not doing said person's job.
  • Dreamweavers.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Dylara said:
    Dreamweavers.
    To add to this, I just love being attacked non-stop in my home territory, violetting non-stop and still not being able to do anything because I'm the only one around right now who can.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

This discussion has been closed.