Helping Us Help Newbies!

Comments

• Have seen the above in other IRE's.  Is a nice feature.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited April 2013
    Ideas: 

Make the Portals room heal a newbie to full h/m/e stats/no afflictions when they enter it. (Iosai: Done!)

Make the Portals room give newbies a temp 5% h/m/e boost for five minutes after entering.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, I think its been kinda touched on, but I miss the old intro, it may have taken a little longer, but it did a much better job of explain most of the basics to true newbies. I find the current intro teaches almost nothing about the basic game functions. Personally I thought the old Intro was better thought out and interesting, the current one, well to me it just doesn't seem to really fit together, now it seems like stuff that is just thrown together to get you through the zone as fast as possible without any real thought on your part.
  • edited April 2013

Not sure how easy this would be to do, but maybe having a novice start with lessons put into their primary up to their actual hunting skill, and when they go through the intro, it teaches them to actually use that skill, rather than kick/punch.  Kick/punch would also be available for people who start without a guild.  Not sure what warriors/monks do for bashing, so maybe this would present a problem as well.

It would be really cool if there were separate intros for each city, honestly, and keep the current one for non-aligned novices, but this may be a bit too much.

For Gaudi, you would suddenly be swept up into a riot by the people of the city, and get lost in an alley somewhere along the way. (This area would be separate from the city, but still have the look/feel of Gaudiguch). Then the fates would come and find you, and direct you towards the usual things (how to move, finding a shop that sells things, buying things, picking up your pack which dropped along the way, putting on clothes from the pack (which would be awesome if they were customized by city), and then hunting with your guild's primary hunting skill.)  May even throw in a bit about the atmosphere of the city in it.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I had tried out the new intro some time ago due to someone having mentioned it being changed. It's definitely not what it used to be, and I would actually like to see us go back to the old one or something of similar quality. I only have vague memories of the old intro, but I remember there was a little more walking around and we had to find an old man who taught us a few basic lessons in environment. I think the intro is a very good time to catch people and immerse them right into Lusternia. Try to throw more lore and environment into there and make it not feel like "a standard intro", while not drowning the newbie either, and providing them with a bit more of the basics. It's a little too bare bones right now. 

I also think Lachesis does not mention that inside the pack she gives you is a bit of clothes and one of each vial. I think most novices I encounter do not know this, so they often forgo them until someone notices and mentions it to them. Also, I feel like perhaps a little more bashing than the standard shadow could help or even in that same fight with the shadow, you could introduce sipping vials of healing, mana and bromides.

At first I was a bit intrigued about the change to make novices not die and consume vials when they first started off, however, I do think this is a bad idea now. I think they should get introduced to the idea of death as early as possible and the perils of Lusternia. It can be a bit of a rough learning curve for someone truly new to Lusternia and mudding, but I think it's not something we should get rid of and can ultimately only help enrich their experience earlier.

I went through the entirety of Newton not using vials, so I honestly would recommend just allowing them to be consumed. A very good idea is to add a dispenser (like an unlimited keg) that they can use to buy refills from (with appropriate tips) in the main Newton lounge. This would teach them how to get refills, make them appreciate that when hunting they'll need to spend a small amount of upkeep gold, and also serve to keep them unspoiled. It's my experience that when you spoil novices too much, they rarely stick around. Keeping them involved is what keeps them.

I've seen novices give up innocence far too early, and am not sure why that is. Perhaps a good idea would be to make it so that you cannot reject innocence until level 11 or so just to be safe. They should also perhaps be better informed of why it exists and what risks they are taking by rejecting it too early.

Finally, this is more outside of the scope of this thread, but I was wondering if novices really had good places to hunt at the really early levels. I generally don't have amazing advice to give when asked where to hunt, but it feels like when they come out, everything is either too easy or too difficult for quite a while.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Rivius said:
    It's my experience that when you spoil novices too much, they rarely stick around. Keeping them involved is what keeps them.

I can't agree with this enough.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Rivius said:

I've seen novices give up innocence far too early, and am not sure why that is. Perhaps a good idea would be to make it so that you cannot reject innocence until level 11 or so just to be safe. They should also perhaps be better informed of why it exists and what risks they are taking by rejecting it too early.

I don't have an issue with this, but it would be cool if novices in a squad still gained xp from non-innocence things, like rockeaters, orcs, and whatnot.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Anita said:
    Sidira said:

Another point that confuses me is the way AB's are limited to your character's skill level. I am not certain what this limitation contributes to the gameplay and it certainly does not make it easier for newbies/lowbies. Right now there is no ingame way to make a solid decision where to invest your lessons as you have no idea what will come next in the respective skillset. Sure, you can go and ask around or find the (partly outdated) Wiki. But why do I have to do that?

Access to the full view (including the AB <skillset> <skill>) will improve the understanding of the skill set's mechanics and help immensely with the lesseon distribution/planning. It will also add some motivation and excitement to the gold/credit grind when you know there is a really nice/powerful/useful skill just a few day's work ahead.

Colors could be used to mark the difference between skills already learned and the rest to avoid confusion.

I think some guilds have books in their own guild libraries of the whole skill (those that are available to the guild, at least). I know the Moondancers have such a book, it's a little outdated (one of my many many to-do things), but we do have one! 

But generally, I think it's a good idea that the whole of the skill should be viewable, but maybe BOLD WHITE denotes the abilities you HAVE learnt in a skill, and maybe grey/lesser white could be used to represent the abilities you CAN learn in the skill. (Pretty sure there's another Mud (not sure if it's one of the IRE ones or not) that has this feature) 

Edit: Not sure how easy something like that would be able to do, but, yeah. It'd be a help all around, for newbies and others that are sitting there going *What shall I learn now*

I just made a guild scroll with all the skills in it and a more detailed explanation of what they do and how they work. The descriptions are not always clear and certainly don't suggest how they can best be used.

• Please make Shallamar and the rest of the Realm of the Fates not have weather, or always have non-harmful weather. Thanks in advance.
  • Not sure how much this would help, or if true novices would even use it, but stratagems being lower in combat may help a bit.

It's a very useful skill, one which I use for a number of things on Morshoth.  Playing with an alt, I've missed it greatly, and can see much use for it early on.  I could set up a queue to attack things and influence things, pick up their loot, amongst a number of other uses.

I'm sure guilds could promote using it if it was lowered in the skill, as it is quite handy.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Marcella said:
    Please slow down the wind in Shallamar, @Elanorwen.
    Gimme about 300 creds to flex Shamanism and sure. :D

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited April 2013
    Make novices immune to weather effects up till a certain level. I know it's part of roleplay if we're diving blindly around in a blizzard, with no map and trying to find a hidden exit (It's realistic and immersive, except when you mess up a quest because of it. Then it sucks sometimes). However, I think it would be too frustrating for a novice who is exploring to blindly move about and have to wait ages for the blizzard to clear.

Same for massive rainstorms. It's like, 'advanced playing' to tackle these extreme weathers.
    A masked taurian exclaims, "Sugoi! Gorlois-kun is kawaii, uguu~!"
    Do novices need to be made immune to everything? Really?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Nobody has yet suggested making novices immune to Shaddus.

Of course, we might then suffer from a dearth of novices...
  • edited April 2013
    I remember finding the weather pretty cool, actually. Admittedly it was a while before I ran into my first blizzard, maybe other orgs actually have them with greater frequency, and freezing in the mountains was annoying, but bearable. Personally, I think I'd feel annoyed if I got too much Lusternia Lite as a newbie. The weather is something that can deepen immersion.

Also, nowhere I -had- to go as a novice was blizzarding ever that I can remember. And if a novice does get caught in a blizzard, they can either portal out, or by the time they don't have portals anymore, they can probably teleport.  Or, you know, ask for help on newbie, ct, cgt, gnt, gt. Yay interaction. (I can't remember if landmarks work in a blizzard.)

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Morshoth said:

Not sure how much this would help, or if true novices would even use it, but stratagems being lower in combat may help a bit.

It's a very useful skill, one which I use for a number of things on Morshoth.  Playing with an alt, I've missed it greatly, and can see much use for it early on.  I could set up a queue to attack things and influence things, pick up their loot, amongst a number of other uses.

I'm sure guilds could promote using it if it was lowered in the skill, as it is quite handy.

I've never used stratagems :I
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Eritheyl said:
    Morshoth said:

Not sure how much this would help, or if true novices would even use it, but stratagems being lower in combat may help a bit.

I've never used stratagems :I

I lurv them!
  • Iytha said:
    Please make Shallamar and the rest of the Realm of the Fates not have weather, or always have non-harmful weather. Thanks in advance.
    I don't see any weather in Shallamar. Are you sure it has some?
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Iosai said:
    Iytha said:
    Please make Shallamar and the rest of the Realm of the Fates not have weather, or always have non-harmful weather. Thanks in advance.
    I don't see any weather in Shallamar. Are you sure it has some?
    There was someone complaining on newbie about finding a shaman that would make the wind in Shallamar stop or some-such.... then I got accused of being a shaman and the newbie proceeded to ask me to stop the wind for the next hour or so... all in all, fun times. Not sure what that's about... is there some place where they are stopped from progressing by wind, making it not apparent that they need to do something?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited April 2013
    It may be that they were trying to fly, and it's not allowed there? IIRC, the "you can't fly here, but you're outside" message involves wind. 
  • It's more about we don't want to make novices frustrated before they get acclimatized.
    A masked taurian exclaims, "Sugoi! Gorlois-kun is kawaii, uguu~!"
    Sounds like someone was either just mistaken, or doing something outlandish and encountering a strange message.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Enyalida said:
    It may be that they were trying to fly, and it's not allowed there? IIRC, the "you can't fly here, but you're outside" message involves wind. 
    Never seen that before. Do you mean high windspeeds?
    I think said novice was just having issues staying connected.

Also, <3 Iosai for her change that I suggested.
    *person* tells you, "Please read CGHELP WELCOME and CGHELP *guild*."
    [Hint]: You can reply to this person using TELL *person* <message>.

This was kind of cool, right out of the Portal with the first tell I received.

• And another Shaddus alt is born.
    Yeah, my name is Dyss, and I'm gonna be a pyromancer.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Shaddus said:
    Yeah, my name is Dyss, and I'm gonna be a pyromancer.
    Dyss is an Ysav'rai of the Glomdoring.

So says Vengeance.  Hssst!
  • I would love some information on the ways of my commune, the Glomdoring, and on the gameworld in general.  There have been a few people who've been very helpful, but I'm still left feeling like a bewildered idiot most of the time.  I've completed the Collegium tasks and passed out of Newton, but I still don't know how the planes work. I know how to give power to the Master Ravenwood, but have no clue as to how to get power for myself.  HELP POWER and HELP DROSS POWER don't give any syntax. There are guild files that tell about village revolts, but I don't even know if I'm supposed to be helping with things like that. If this is important work, I reckon there ought to be more information available about it.