Simple Ideas

Comments

• Lerad said:
    I think a clean-up of tailoring and clothing/jewelry layers code and a helpfile explaining them will be very nice. Even today, I sometimes get confused about what jewelry goes where, gets hidden by what clothing, and how many jewelry slots for a certain body part I have left. And don't ask me what clothing goes on top of what clothing, because I have zero idea.
    There's been a couple outstanding bugs with them for RL years now, but nobody has wanted to touch it because (at least according to Iosai) the clothing code is a nightmare to mess with.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Report #1007
    Skillset: Enchantment          Skill: None
       Guild: Blacktalon          Status: Approved Dec 2012

Problem: Necklaces / pendants / coats / cloaks / capes all interact *very weirdly* with one another.  For example: I am currently wearing a coat, cape, and cloak.  If I try to wear a pendant, it does not work.  If I remove the cloak, then I can wear one pendant, but not the second.  If I remove the pendant and the cape, then I can wear two pendants, then wear the cape, then the cloak and it all works- I get the prestige bonus for wearing the clothing.  Problem is that now if I try to rub an enchantment on the worn necklace or powerful mind on the pendant, it says: A tribal wyrden battle cape is preventing you from using a golden heart-shaped pendant.  So I have to keep dressing and undressing every time I want to rub the thing

Solution #1: Remove pendants / necklaces from interacting with clothing- let you wear clothing, and then wear pendants / necklaces separately.  Wearing and removing the first will not check if the second is "preventing" the action and vice versa.

Furies' Decision:
    We will look into clothing layers.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It would be nice to explain... what the difference between ephemeral and supernumerary powers is.
    Uh...
    1) Ephemeral = inactive.
    2) Supernumerary = active.

If it's ephemeral you can't use it (but can make it active for a 10% cost), if it's supernumerary you can.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited April 2013
    Slap that in a help file, done!

EDIT: I am fully aware of the difference and how these powers work, and so is Rivius (Afaik). That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a help file of some sort, somewhere for people who are new or who don't know.
    If you put it in a help file, what need would there be for me?

I like answering questions. :(
  • I'd like there to be music cases. They work exactly like frogges and sheathes, are made for the same cost at the same skill level, with the sole exception that they contain instruments rather than weapons.
    edited April 2013
    Make it so that losing a psychodrama match doesn't actually lose you points, only give points to the winner.

It's already set up so you can't keep re-challenging the same person over and over, which is (to me, at least) one of the main purposes for losing points (to act as a disincentive to challenging over and over).

Psychodrama is very RNG-based, and sometimes the matches end up revolving around one single toss of the dice.  There's no particular reason for a disincentive to the tournament matches imo; encourage people to play each other more!  More people playing and more points out there is just all for the better.

As-is, there's little reason to want to challenge someone with a better set of ikons, because if you win... you gain 1 point.  If you lose, you lose 1 point.  And the odds are more likely that you'll lose your point and be bumped out of the rankings.  So, it is better to just get one point and sit on it.
  • Add a third-party message when a mob breaks its own shield, due to attacking, etc.
  • A DESIGN CATALOGUE command that shows you everything that you have ever successfully designed, regardless of what tradeskills you have.
  • Make defenses stay up for a full ten minutes disconnected from the MUD, so that if someone DCs uncontrollably, they don't have to put up all their defenses again and waste power.
  • Cadfael said:
    Make defenses stay up for a full ten minutes disconnected from the MUD, so that if someone DCs uncontrollably, they don't have to put up all their defenses again and waste power.
    Not likely to happen. This have come up a few times and is always shot down. It's one of those things that seems like it would be simple but is actually quite complicated.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Llandros said:
    Cadfael said:
    Make defenses stay up for a full ten minutes disconnected from the MUD, so that if someone DCs uncontrollably, they don't have to put up all their defenses again and waste power.
    Not likely to happen. This have come up a few times and is always shot down. It's one of those things that seems like it would be simple but is actually quite complicated.
    Not quite certain how complicated it should be. Certain defenses that you lose on death stay through a disconnect. Defenses that you don't lose on death vanish. Some enchantments (mercy, kingdom, etc) stay while others (waterwalk, levitate) don't. What I've noticed, though, is that defenses that cost power universally go poof on disconnect.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    I'm considering suggesting that changes be made to ENCHANT STATUE to allow certain actions like being able to talk over the aetherwaves, currently enchanting a single statue takes 7 minutes 30 seconds, during which time things like talking over aetherwaves disrupts the process, meaning that if something comes up, unless you try to get around it by sending a direct TELL to someone, you either need to wait until the process finishes, or start over again from scratch (and it is particularly annoying if it slips your mind and you respond to something 6 minutes in and need to start over from scratch)

As an alternate suggestion, personally I'd like to see the time it takes to enchant a statue cut down, if you need to enchant 5 statues, that is almost 40 minutes of your personal time that you need to blow just sitting around doing nothing, unless there happens to be another enchanter awake that can assist in the process.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Elanorwen said:
    Llandros said:
    Cadfael said:
    Not quite certain how complicated it should be. Certain defenses that you lose on death stay through a disconnect. Defenses that you don't lose on death vanish. Some enchantments (mercy, kingdom, etc) stay while others (waterwalk, levitate) don't. What I've noticed, though, is that defenses that cost power universally go poof on disconnect.
    This has been discussed again and again and again. As far as I've understood it, defenses are stored in two ways: Either character-based or connection-based. Connection-based defenses go poof if you disconnect/reconnect, while character-based defenses are kept. Not sure exactly why it is this way, but it is how it is. I assume that if it was as simple as just changing a line or two in the code it would've been done already.
  • edited February 2014

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited April 2013
    So I'm going to beg again!

Let's make heartpierce have the deathsight message:

X has been stabbed through the heart and Y is to blame.

Iosai: Done!
  • Please make it so that PLANT <herb> works while mounted on a wiccan broom. If I can harvest from on top of my broom, I should be able to plant as well.
    You can't plant while on a broom?

What's the message?  I can plant while mounted on a beast.
  • plant galingale
    You cannot do that while mounted.
    1465h, 1473m, 1473e, 1p, 5345en, 6035w mBelrx-
    dismount
    You step down off of a wiccan broom.
    1465h, 1473m, 1473e, 1p, 5295en, 6035w Belrx-
    plant galingale
    You reach down and dig a small hole for a stem of galingale. Putting it in the hole, you then cover it with dirt.
    A sedge of galingale pops up, making itself known.
    Bug it.

-plant galingale

You reach down and dig a small hole for a stem of galingale. Putting it in the hole, you then cover it with dirt.
    8501h, 6093m, 6617e, 10p, 26660en, 25135w mBelrk<>-

Because clearly one can do it while mounted.
  • Hrm, do you have AdvancedRiding? That affects planting while mounted according to the AB.
    Oh, neat.  I did not recall that stuff being added to the AB.

BEASTMASTERY - ADVANCEDRIDING

Your skills in riding mounted beasts have improved to the extent where
    you are capable of the following skills:

Syntax: VAULT <beast>
    Instead of mounting a beast trained in riding, you can vault onto it,
    cutting your balance time by two-thirds.

Syntax: GET <item>
    Your ease of being upon your steed is so great that you can easily scoop
    up items that lay on the ground while still mounted.

Passive:
    o Trackers can now lay traps while mounted.
    o Enchanters can enchant while mounted.
    o Herbalists can plant while mounted.
    o Alchemists can amalgamate while mounted.
    o Blacksmiths can forge while mounted.
    o Anyone can dig while mounted.

I have some forging stuff that I still have to dismount for, and it's irritated me; I think I'm going to have to bug that next time I run into it!
  • I'll put that on my To-Learn list, then.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Can we limit some of the messages that fire when someone moves from room to room? Especially at the nexus, it can be 2-3 lines of custom movement message + 2-3 lines of custom pet movement messages + up to 2 guard response messages + (in Serenwilde's case) a possible moon maiden greeting. The pet messages could be cut if the person is riding it and only one guard message need ever fire at a time, for example.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Cutting the pet message doesn't necessarily work.  For example, I never use Spiritbond Night, but I got a shroud of shadows from a present and so I kind of feel obligated to wear it.

At the same time, I don't usually camouflage Ilistala, but I'm always riding her.

People know I'm around based on Ilistala entering / leaving the room at present (and I kind of like having that as an option).

However, making it so that multiple guards don't speak at once on entry / exit would be nice.  That's just taking one-two lines out, though.  The most lengthy part of it is the custom movement message, and speaking for myself, I kind of like those messages.  They add a little bit of flavour and spice to the game, when their owners are not hiding away shrouded.
    Some of them are a bit over the top--even the Serenguard one. Especially with so many demigods around now, it seems like there's this constant barrage of extravagant messages taking up space.

With the pet message, what I meant was that I didn't see a reason to have the person's long exit message end with "riding on <pet>" followed by a 2-3 line "<pet> bounds off to the __ doing __ while looking like __." I already know that, I saw the person ride off on it.

Though it could be worse... everyone could have an Eventru entrance message.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    I made triggers to trim down most entrance/exit messages to just let me know who and what direction, though I didn't have a lot of the newer ones listed.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    Why was something as useful as learning how to SURVEY removed from the intro? Can we have it back?