Learning and Lessons

edited May 2013 in Common Grounds
In an effort to make things easier, we are contemplating revising how learning skills work. Currently, you need to find a tutor and put 1-15 lessons towards learning a skill, which takes about 30 seconds to run through a dialogue with the tutor. Some things we can do:

We could remove needing to find a tutor; rather, you could increase your skill from wherever you want.

Change the number of lessons you can put into a skill in a learning session, possibly 1-100 lessons (or more?).

We could remove the dialogue while learning. The learning texts are interesting but get repetitive and don't usually give extra information on how to use the skill that's not found in the AB files.

Of course, making it super easy may detract from RP so the question is how much RP is really necessary for learning your skills. Thoughts?

Comments

• TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    This doesn't really answer any of your questions but...something that would be helpful (for novices) would be giving the learner a message when they gain a new ability, and advising them to look at the AB. For example:

Your skill in Elementalism has risen to Novice.
    You have gained the ability of Dig! To find out how to use it, see AB ELEMENTALISM DIG.

I've bumped into a lot of novices who didn't realise they could get more information about their skills that way - or even notice that they'd gained new abilities!
  • Hmm. I really think having a tutor is good, from an RP perspective. After all, you have to learn from someone, right? Plus, it also encourages people to join guilds or orgs, not only to choose their skills but in order to be able to keep learning them. So for that purpose, I'd say keep tutors.

I have no real opinion about the number of lessons used for one set; learning is a tedium, period. With skillflexing, it's not even needed from a balance perspective; you learn your skills once, and then you can keep them and flex into them with relative ease.

Keep the dialogue while learning. Sure, it's only read once, but it does provide a fair bit of atmosphere nontheless. While they don't mention things that aren't found in ABs, keep in mind that people aren't always trans; newbies will want to see what to expect further on in the skill! One thing I'd love to see happening is to have the messages vary depending on how far along in the skill you are; it doesn't make much sense that you get the exact same lesson when inept that you do when you're nearly trans, although that would be a rather major undertaking.
  • Tacita said:
    This doesn't really answer any of your questions but...something that would be helpful (for novices) would be giving the learner a message when they gain a new ability, and advising them to look at the AB. For example:

Your skill in Elementalism has risen to Novice.
    You have gained the ability of Dig! To find out how to use it, see AB ELEMENTALISM DIG.

I've bumped into a lot of novices who didn't realise they could get more information about their skills that way - or even notice that they'd gained new abilities!
    Great idea!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    100 lessons at a time would be great. You still get to see the teaching messages which are interesting for new players but without the hour long learning sessions.
  • I support learning more lessons per dialogue session. Switched classes a few times this year and honestly, I'm not rich enough to keep guild skills I might or might not use again. So skillflexing for non-tradeskills is out of the question for me. Learning back to trans takes way too long in my opinion and shortening it wouldn't take away from anything.

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• Honestly, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to learn as many lessons as possible in a single go. LEARN 1715 DRAMATICS FROM EURYTUS. Boom, you're Trans'd. Doesn't detract anything from the experience, IMO. I do however agree that the tutors and flavor text for learning add some nice RP atmosphere. Besides, if this change is made, how often would that stuff really get repeated to you?
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I'd like to learn more than 15 lessons at a time, that should solve most of the problems along with Tacita's suggestion.

Old school people can keep learning 15 a time, while everyone else can trans quickly.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited May 2013
    Cadfael said:
    Honestly, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to learn as many lessons as possible in a single go. LEARN 1715 DRAMATICS FROM EURYTUS. Boom, you're Trans'd. Doesn't detract anything from the experience, IMO. I do however agree that the tutors and flavor text for learning add some nice RP atmosphere. Besides, if this change is made, how often would that stuff really get repeated to you?
    I disagree a little with this - allowing someone to learn all the way to trans in a single session detracts somewhat, granted in a MUD or other fantasy game there has to be some suspension of disbelief, but being able to go from inept to transcendent in a single session is pushing things just a little IMHO.  I agree with allowing up to 100 lessons in a single session though.  Allows a novice to learn all their lessons in a much shorter time and get into action a bit faster.

EDIT: Idea that just hit me - Have denizen trainers remain at a maximum of 15 lessons (or maybe increase denizens to 30-50 lessons maximum at a time) but increase the amount of lessons that one can learn from their mentor to a maximum of 100 lessons at a time - gives an added incentive to find a mentor and interact with other people nice and early.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • However much you increase how many lessons you can learn at a time, it may still help to have your mentor able to teach you more. That's always seemed somewhat effective as a means to encourage that particular relationship, IMO.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Oh, uh, wow! That's awesome!
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Iosai said:
    Tacita's suggestion is now in!
    Yet more proof that Iosai is very quick off the mark!
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Cadfael said:
    Honestly, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to learn as many lessons as possible in a single go. LEARN 1715 DRAMATICS FROM EURYTUS. Boom, you're Trans'd. Doesn't detract anything from the experience, IMO. I do however agree that the tutors and flavor text for learning add some nice RP atmosphere. Besides, if this change is made, how often would that stuff really get repeated to you?
    I think going this far seriously detracts from RP.  I agree that we should be able to learn faster, since sitting down to trans a skill from start to finish is a major pain in the butt.  However, how often in real life do you reach mastery of something quickly?  Or ever, for the matter?

For 15 lessons a go, it takes about 50 minutes to trans a skill.  That's a little under an IG day.  So even though the concept of spending your life, or just your youth, to learn the arts of your guild or craft doesn't really translate in time, it's still something that should be translated somewhat.

If we could learn up to 100 lessons a go, that takes the rounds required of learning from 115 (1715/15) to 18 (1715/100).  That'd be just shy of ten minutes to trans a skill from start to finish.  Considering you'll trans 3-5 skills when switching a guild (Three guild skills, a trade skill, and low/high magic), that's still under an hour.  I think that's MORE than reasonable, considering the situation, while still not feeling overbearing.
  • Kagato said:
    EDIT: Idea that just hit me - Have denizen trainers remain at a maximum of 15 lessons (or maybe increase denizens to 30-50 lessons maximum at a time) but increase the amount of lessons that one can learn from their mentor to a maximum of 100 lessons at a time - gives an added incentive to find a mentor and interact with other people nice and early.

Not all of us have mentors. Well, I have one, but she has been inactive for over 4 years. Why should a newbie get to learn faster than me simply because my mentor doesn't play anymore? How does that even make sense?

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• Yeah; bump the amount they can learn from mentors, but bump it from normal tutors as well. Like 100 for non-mentors and 150 for mentors or some such.
  • I personally dislike the pressure to find a mentor, especially when you're just starting out. I want to take the time to find someone I actually like and will do mentor stuff with me, not just pick whoever makes for a convenient lessons-robot. And I'd especially hate turning down someone I'd otherwise really like as my mentor because they have a different tertiary/secondary/trade skill from me and can't teach what I want to learn. Please don't make the extra lesson learning based having a mentor.

I like the new message for when you get a new ability.

I think 100 lessons at a time is plenty.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Can we consider including the exact number of lessons needed to reach the next skill rank when asking the tutor? ie instead of "you are 35% of the way to the next skill level" or whatever it actually is, meaning you have to go to your wiki of choice, calculate how much you must have learned and how much you have to go, can the answer be "You are 68 lessons away from being a master of Dramatics" for example?

• I support just changing the number of lessons learnt in a session to 100. 100 is a nice round number that means most novices are able to learn everything they want to learn in a skill without having to repeat.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited May 2013
    Please no to the 1715 at a time idea. 1-100, I can see that.

EDIT: Maybe 1-25 at a time from a denizen, 1-50 from another person, 1-100 from your mentor?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    We can keep the messages, they really add flavor to learning. Plus they're awesome. It's one of the things I've always loved about Lusternia. For those who do not want to get the messages though, I suppose an CONFIG LEARNINGMESSAGE ON/OFF option can be created.
    Iosai said:
    Tacita's suggestion is now in!
    And Iosai, you're very quick!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited May 2013
    Why would you need to turn the learning messages off if you can learn 100 lessons at a time?  At most you'll get it 18 times in a row in one setting, and it's better than just sitting there for 30s waiting for it to finish.  It gives a sense of pacing.

A config option seems like unnecessary extra work in this case.  The best fix is the simplest fix in this instance; up to 100 lessons learned at a time, not much else needs to be done! :)

Edit: Though seeing how many lessons to the next skill rank would also be a nice change and hopefully not too difficult.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    100 lessons per session max is perfectly fine.

Someone somewhere suggested that all skills under a given skillset should be viewable, but highlighted in a different colour if you haven't actually learned them yet (maybe red?). This would make it a lot easier for new players to at least preview what is ahead for them, without having to be directed to a wiki or the like.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Some IRE games do that.  It would be helpful for newbies to be able to see the skills without having to go out-of-game to read a wiki.  Helps with lesson planning, somewhat.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Comparing the 3 IRE games I have more than an hours knowledge of, Aetolia handles their learning/lessons the best.
    Can check how many lessons to get a new skill, how many lessons invested total, able to see the full skill abs no matter what, and they can learn up to 60 lessons at a time(though requires a city upgrade), and a few other things I've forgotten. 
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Yeah, 100 would be more than enough to kill the tedium. I just don't see that waiting for multiple run throughs of the flavor text to complete = any RP approximation of the RL time and effort required to learn complex skills. But whatev. Your mileage may vary.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I don't understand why people are against being able to learn more than 100 at a time. 

You still get the RP lessons, do you need them more than once? 100 is definitely a good step, and obviously better than what it is now, but I wouldn't be opposed to learning as much as you wanted.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Neos said:
    Comparing the 3 IRE games I have more than an hours knowledge of, Aetolia handles their learning/lessons the best.
    Can check how many lessons to get a new skill, how many lessons invested total, able to see the full skill abs no matter what, and they can learn up to 60 lessons at a time(though requires a city upgrade), and a few other things I've forgotten. 
    Yes, this. All of this information is already available across the internet, so there's really very little reason not to let everyone do AB [any skill] FULL to see all the abilities color coded by whether or not they've been acquired, and AB [any skill] [any ability] to find out detailed information on it.

It's essential for healthy combat to be able to understand what your opponent's skills do, and for envoys to submit informed reports and comments that do not rely on third party websites with AB files that can be wildly out of date.

Also, definitely standing alongside the people who have mentioned that their learning 'RP' amounts to 30 seconds writing a trigger and going away to watch a movie while it does its thing for a few hours. The few times I have RPed learning a skill, we actually only mechanically did one or two sets of lessons, because the repetitive learning messages kinda got in the way of what the teacher was actually emoting. Maybe make it so tutors have the messages (since I too do like reading them all at least once), but make learning from other players use a different system entirely?

If you wanted to encourage RP, I could see something like allowing the tutee to specify any number of lessons they want to learn from the other player, then every few seconds have a handful of lessons move into the skill with an unobtrusive message like "As you discuss [skill] with [tutor], you feel your understanding grow." until the lessons learned hits the total they specified. This way, the two players are able to RP the learning process freely, and as they go through their RP the learner will find their skill increasing over time automatically.