Simple Ideas

Comments

• I seem to remember that part of the reason they don't do it is the glut of items in the game, especially with shops being so much more open availability (credit cost or not) here. Also part of the reason why they limited the basic shop stockroom capacity so severely. It was causing a very severe lag issue quite some years ago, and they don't like to tempt (the) fate(s).
  • edited February 2017
    The Great Esteem Needle Purge. Lo, the wailing cries and gnashing of teeth of Shopkeepers as their stockrooms shrank. Woe. Though the burden of Lag upon the server was lessened, and it was Good.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • Well, and I know I keep mentioning Aetolia...but they've come up with solutions to similar problems, so I don't think it's bad to look to other IREs for ideas, especially considering how unique the codebase is (and thus what is and isn't possible) compared to other MUDs.

Anyways, in Aetolia they have crafting from shop rifts, so I bet that helps a lot as the max stockroom there is either 1k or 750. Eg, you do PRICE DESIGN # and it sets a design template you have access to for sale. Then you just put stuff in the rift and when someone buys it those comms are used. Only time it has issues is if your comms are items which aren't riftable and can't be stored in the shop itself (eg things like corpses), which I guess is a lot of designs here :/
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ayisdra said:
    Breandryn said:
    Sorry for triple post. Editing via phone is hard.

This may be a big case of culture clash - is new design templates and additonal nouns something not done here? I'm used to them being added very frequently but I'm starting to see that it seems a Big Deal here for crafting in particular and that confuses me. Is it coded different here so such things are harder to do? In Aet it was literally a matter of asking and if it wasn't weird usually seeing a new version fairly soon. Their version of the Charites would even ask us every now and then for more ideas to expand out crafting templates.

In general is that not how it works here? If things are entirely different I won't suggest more as I have noticed how rare new options are.
    While only the admin can comment on the code aspect of how hard something is or not, generally new design patterns are a rare thing. I want to say the last new design, before the recent notepads, was the generic origami (instead of set shapes, which took a few a while to get as well)  which was a few RL years ago. Although there might have been another design between generic origami and notepads...

Edit: it looks like the Tailoring 'sash' was added after generic origami back in 2015 (trademaster post 478-479), where it won a vote against 3 other possible pattern additions.
    Wasn't it actually those hats that won? Fascinators or something?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited February 2017
    Shaddus said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Breandryn said:
    Sorry for triple post. Editing via phone is hard.

This may be a big case of culture clash - is new design templates and additonal nouns something not done here? I'm used to them being added very frequently but I'm starting to see that it seems a Big Deal here for crafting in particular and that confuses me. Is it coded different here so such things are harder to do? In Aet it was literally a matter of asking and if it wasn't weird usually seeing a new version fairly soon. Their version of the Charites would even ask us every now and then for more ideas to expand out crafting templates.

In general is that not how it works here? If things are entirely different I won't suggest more as I have noticed how rare new options are.
    While only the admin can comment on the code aspect of how hard something is or not, generally new design patterns are a rare thing. I want to say the last new design, before the recent notepads, was the generic origami (instead of set shapes, which took a few a while to get as well)  which was a few RL years ago. Although there might have been another design between generic origami and notepads...

Edit: it looks like the Tailoring 'sash' was added after generic origami back in 2015 (trademaster post 478-479), where it won a vote against 3 other possible pattern additions.
    Wasn't it actually those hats that won? Fascinators or something?
    Nope. post 479 has the votes between the four things that were offered (sash, jacket, beret, bonnet): "In the final countdown the Sash wins with 12 votes to the Jacket's 9. The Beret earned 2 votes while the misunderstood Bonnet only 1 vote."
  • So, could Celestines and Nihilists be able to summon a less powerful companion once they have learned the more powerful one? LIke, leave the default as summons the most power companion, but for RP/fun purposes it might be nice to summon an imp/cherub.
    So, I think, the syntax would go From:
    STARCALL COMPANION
    DARKCALL THRALL
    TO:
    STARCALL COMPANION [TYPE]
    DARKCALL THRALL [TYPE]

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tylwyth said:
    So, could Celestines and Nihilists be able to summon a less powerful companion once they have learned the more powerful one? LIke, leave the default as summons the most power companion, but for RP/fun purposes it might be nice to summon an imp/cherub.
    STARCALL COMPANION
    DARKCALL THRALL
    TO:
    DARKCALL THRALL [TYPE]

Could maybe cost less power also.
  • Tylwyth said:
    So, could Celestines and Nihilists be able to summon a less powerful companion once they have learned the more powerful one? LIke, leave the default as summons the most power companion, but for RP/fun purposes it might be nice to summon an imp/cherub.
    STARCALL COMPANION
    DARKCALL THRALL
    TO:
    DARKCALL THRALL [TYPE]

REPORT 1612

• For cooking -

I know that when you cook something you can preserve it at the same time, but for cuisine and gourmet recipes, would it be possible to stick on constitution / speed?

So

COOK < # > [PRESERVE] [CONSTITUTION]
    COOK < # > [PRESERVE] [SPEED]
  • Anita said:
    For cooking -

I know that when you cook something you can preserve it at the same time, but for cuisine and gourmet recipes, would it be possible to stick on constitution / speed?

So

I think the syntax for this is COOK <recipe #> [PRESERVE] [FORTIFY] [INFUSE CONSTITUTION/SPEED]. However, I haven't tried it in a while, so please correct me if I've got the infuse part wrong. This ability was added in late 2016 (along with a huge slew of other updates), I think, if you want to try and hunt down the specific changelog or announce that discusses this.
    Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.
  • Irillia said:
    Anita said:
    For cooking -

So

I think the syntax for this is COOK <recipe #> [PRESERVE] [FORTIFY] [INFUSE CONSTITUTION/SPEED]. However, I haven't tried it in a while, so please correct me if I've got the infuse part wrong. This ability was added in late 2016 (along with a huge slew of other updates), I think, if you want to try and hunt down the specific changelog or announce that discusses this.
    I'll give it a try when I log back in later, only within the last few months did I learn about the preserve part, so I would have missed anything else too.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I can confirm that it's COOK THING FORTIFY PRESERVE INFUSE CONSTITUTION for a recent example. Remember that it will eat up a dose per item produced, and if any of the optionals fails for one item in the batch it fails for all of them.
  • Luce said:
    I can confirm that it's COOK THING FORTIFY PRESERVE INFUSE CONSTITUTION for a recent example. Remember that it will eat up a dose per item produced, and if any of the optionals fails for one item in the batch it fails for all of them.
    That's ok, I had that happen with the colewort earlier. But now this makes life 100 times quicker I can do everything at once! WOO!!
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    I don't know if it's all the curio cuties or just the calico, but that calico is constantly doing things whenever I move. Could we like... reduce that somehow?
  • Selenity said:
    I don't know if it's all the curio cuties or just the calico, but that calico is constantly doing things whenever I move. Could we like... reduce that somehow?
    Can you BUG this and describe in more detail? What do you see each time you move? Is it the power or the kitten doing kitten things?
    Isune said:
    Selenity said:
    Can you BUG this and describe in more detail? What do you see each time you move? Is it the power or the kitten doing kitten things?
    Bugged it, here's an example also: https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/bMI934VY
  • Looks like it is doing as advertised - telling you that you are surrounded by traps. Which you are.
    Ejderha said:
    Looks like it is doing as advertised - telling you that you are surrounded by traps. Which you are.
    On all the roads too?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Selenity said:
    Ejderha said:
    Looks like it is doing as advertised - telling you that you are surrounded by traps. Which you are.
    On all the roads too?
    Yep.

The majority of rooms in the game have traps in them.
    Xenthos said:
    Selenity said:
    Ejderha said:
    On all the roads too?
    Yep.

A way to shut up the kitten would be nice then. Calico you are cute but if I'm just walking around minding my business it shouldn't be going off!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Selenity said:
    Xenthos said:
    Selenity said:
    Ejderha said:
    On all the roads too?
    Yep.

A way to shut up the kitten would be nice then. Calico you are cute but if I'm just walking around minding my business it shouldn't be going off!
    PUSH KITTEN HERE to get it back up in your arms, and then it seems to turn off.  That seems to be the only way (drop = on, held = off).
    Xenthos said:
    Selenity said:
    Xenthos said:
    Selenity said:
    Ejderha said:
    On all the roads too?
    Yep.

PUSH KITTEN HERE to get it back up in your arms, and then it seems to turn off.  That seems to be the only way (drop = on, held = off).
    Thanks. :D
  • Your always surrounded.....
  • Racehats for gnomes, finks, centaurs, that race Selenity talked about
    The deep, rumbling voice of Weiwae says from within your heart, "I am so happy to hear of your progress, and I thank you for bringing my influence over more shards of My Brother Tae."
  • Probably not so simple, but could we see extra information on BODYSCAN for other scaled/weighted things like:
    • prestige, 
    • warmth, 
    • rooting, 
    • illusion detection, and 
    • movement speed? 
    For example (assuming prestige isn't on the weighting system):

- BODYSCAN PRESTIGE FULL
    ***************************[ Bodyscan - Prestige  ]****************************
    Stat                  Effect                                     Value      Max
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Empower               Gestalt                                       20
    Empower               Performance                                   50        
    Empower               Jewelry (#28274)                               2        
    Empower               Jewelry (#23944)                               2
    Empower               Clothing (#29484)                              4
    Empower               Clothing (#24728)                              2
    Empower               Artifact                                   -9999
                            Total (including universal)                  0

*******************************************************************************<br>

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Zyphora said:
    1. Can newbies get a portal exit from the Ring of Portals to the Portal of Fate so that they can reincarnate easily at any time during their newbiehood? It is quite the trek even from the Aetherplex.

2. Can the newbie area give out more gold for corpses and quests? Prices for the things that newbies need for advancement are still pretty high. Currently the output is around 20 gold per corpse. I think the big quests that take an hour or so give 500 gold. A friend of mine trying the game out hadn't hit even 2k gold after an hour of bashing/running around. They are an experienced player in another IRE game, so I can't imagine how challenging it would be for a true blue newbie.
    Two points of interest which might be good to point out, regardless of what the admins change. Teleport (the basic one) has Teleport Aetherplex as an option. I think you don't need to invest any lessons to have access so much as know you have it, so while it wouldn't be as convenient as the instantaneous Portals, it is still there.

For gold output in Newton, the corpses still matter. The lowest level of Newton gives less gold than the warriors/knights on Smoke Mountain, which are either 40 or 45 gold per corpse (can't quite recall). The admin have also adjusted these already so more of them spawn and they spawn a bit more often. If a newbie has already done the quests and just wants optimal farming, you should direct them to stay at the summit.

Finally, everyone, please stop telling newbies to ditch their claymores asap. Newbie claymore OP now. You can take out rockeaters in two hits with that claymore, whereas PPK-ata and non-maetsro minorsecond are sooooo much slower. I actually don't like this since I think it makes it jarring when you lose the claymore, but at least the claymore can last for up to several weeks (so ideally by that point someone would attain a similar scaling on their bashing by primary skill advancement).

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight

Finally, everyone, please stop telling newbies to ditch their claymores asap. Newbie claymore OP now. You can take out rockeaters in two hits with that claymore, whereas PPK-ata and non-maetsro minorsecond are sooooo much slower. I actually don't like this since I think it makes it jarring when you lose the claymore, but at least the claymore can last for up to several weeks (so ideally by that point someone would attain a similar scaling on their bashing by primary skill advancement).

I sometimes feel that some of those 'I am new' / 'lowlevel' bashing abilities would need a rebalancing look. Some are really underwhelming wheras others are really quite massively powerful ( am looking at you cosmic fire ). Could probably some balancing across the board. While the newbie claymore is nice because everyone starts at the same, I personally always found it offputting to be forced to rely on a claymore and having the 'newbie' bashing variant of of your chosen class to very underwhelming in comparison. Mage/guardian swinging a two handed claymore feels... odd to me.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.