Player Retention and Growth

ShaddusShaddus , the Leper MessiahOutside your window.
Lusternia as a whole has had a bit of a population decline as of late. While this poll obviously can't display all options, which of these is most important to you and would work to keep you around longer/more often?

If you don't agree with any of these, feel free to state your own issues. Please be polite in all responses.
Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

Comments

• I have to say I am torn between several of these options. There's several that I would like to vote for at the same time, however I chose what I chose because it was the 'most' important one for me to choose from. However, I'd like to see several of these options come to fruition (with the exception of the last choice of course).
  • For me, I stopped cause I really didn't have anything to do in game other than bash, which is just mind-numbingly boring for an activity that can comprise the majority of play time for some people.

In the games that I've shifted to, however, I still mostly just PvE.
    The main difference is that they have more interesting systems compared to basically just putting "kill <target>" into your stratagem and set it to repeat.
    Similarly, there's a reason to engage repeatedly with content such as dungeons, where honours quests here are pretty much a single time thing.

At the end of the day, providing content that's likely to be engaging in general to the playerbase will hopefully get people logging on and actually sticking around, which then means the social interactions can happen that encourage newer people to stick around.
  • I got introduced to Stardew Valley recently when it had been under my radar before, that's all I got really.
  • edited September 2018
    I personally feel that the game really limits pk experience especially if you aren't able to buy certain artifacts/wonderitems or change to other classes. I still play Lusternia for a couple of hours a week but it's mainly me just sitting around waiting for pk. Other things that people enjoy like hunting or even questing seems more like a chore or pain than it is enjoyable. Hunting has also gone to point where if you don't have certain buffs or artifacts there's no point in doing so after demigod mainly because you won't be efficient enough. This entire response is just me saying how Lusternia has become a game where if you don't have RL money to spend on it you won't enjoy it after a certain amount of RL years. So, at this point, there really isn't much you can work on or do to attract players if the game is favouring people who spend more RL money.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    For me personally, I don't play as much as I used to because I got creation fatigue. A lot of work went into helping design the new guilds, and I was super pleased with the results of the guild I chose, but once it came out, I'd put so much energy in that I burned myself out. Brand new guilds need a lot of work when they're released to build momentum and develop on their own, and I just didn't have the energy anymore. So the guild's been pretty stagnant ever since, because no one's had the energy to dive into it and make things happen; and thus, I don't have much energy when I log in.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • We have a lot of Divine who code and plan big special events, which is tremendous. At the same time I feel that the occasional nudge from important Divine and mortal NPCs thruout each city/commune could go an incredibly long way towards supporting the growth of even more roleplaying opportunities and debates and shifting alliances between players. When an xp mechanic has become rote, good rp can keep quality players sticking around. I also think it's a big shame the artisanal/bardic contests are gone. I remember that always motivated me to be creative and come up with Lusternia stories, and I met new people that way.

I also strongly support bashing becoming more complicated. Esp since I can now just config autocuring on pve feels a lot more repetitive and unchallenging. That's a shame bc all the custom attack messages are really cool.
    Arix said:
    Tzaraziko died for your spins
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I also voted for Divine Visibility and Interaction.

There is only so much that players can do; having people able to spend some time keeping the game world itself feeling vibrant and alive is important to the game's health too.

Players can do a bit, but there are limits!  The best thing is cooperative stuff where players play off of what the Divine do and vice versa, so players are actively impacting the world's direction and feeling like they are part of the story.

There are a lot of other things that can be done as far as game "improvements / reworks" go, but they're not (in my mind) the most important part of what makes Lusternia fun.  It's an online interactive game, so interactions are the core part of what makes it attractive.  Draw people in, keep them in.

We've built all kinds of mechanical "wouldn't this be cool" systems over the years, most of them end up just kind of sitting around (gestalts, for example).  They are actually pretty neat, but they don't address core gameplay.

If I had to choose priority I'd go: Bugfixes (because these things are just really, really jarring and when things are broken it can be offputting) -> Interaction / RP / having fun -> New projects that are not incredibly resource intensive or that don't detract from: -> working on / tweaking / improving existing bits of the game that could be made more fun -> New complex and involved projects that require "all hands on deck".  We've had a lot of those latter ones to this point.

I'm sure other people would have slightly different views on ordering of that.  New projects (like new areas that mostly burn up mortal builder resources) are great!  And they help keep the world growing, too.  But, for example, a new complex minigame probably just isn't worth it right now vs. fixing the family system, or reviewing the library system, or any of a number of other monumentally difficult tasks that would make players very, very happy.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.

2) Developing more "Themepark" style content.
    Dungeon style things that reward you with rare materials, for example, that let you access harder PvE content, which opens up new options, which lets you go higher. 
    You could tie this back to demigod as a way to fan your spark further and further. Have it function as a gate to certain abilities, etc.

if you mean instanced type dungeons,  I'm all for this.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    It was hard to pick one. Right now I really am in the 'log in to do your daily stuff and then idle' boat. But divine interaction is absolutely something I have always loved. Really it's RP in general that seems down and I absolutely admit I'm not doing anything myself to fix it. I'm bored, I guess! 

• edited September 2018
    Shaddus said:

2) Developing more "Themepark" style content.
    Dungeon style things that reward you with rare materials, for example, that let you access harder PvE content, which opens up new options, which lets you go higher. 
    You could tie this back to demigod as a way to fan your spark further and further. Have it function as a gate to certain abilities, etc.

if you mean instanced type dungeons,  I'm all for this.
    Yup.

Since dropping off I've mainly played XIV and GW2, along with a smattering of Black Desert Online and a few other random attempts at stuff.

BDO is realistically the closest to Lusternia cause it's a massive sandbox, but the features that are appealing to me and that I see others talk about is the great combat system. It's just fun to play with, mastering combos can see you wiping out armies of mobs in seconds. But I feel like Lusternia would be more likely able to develop instances rather than something like that.

Aside from dungeons, you could also do stuff like Trials from XIV or Fractals from GW2 potentially.
  • Just to separate the points.

I think the other side of this is also that getting players back is also important. 

The downward spiral where people leave cause there's not enough people to play with, which leads to people leaving for the same reason, in theory can be broken by providing a significant enough reason for large group people to come back at the same point in time.

Realistically, something you can put in the newsletters and spam all over facebook/twitter to be like "check it out, SHINY!" is likely going to be a new system or a significant overhaul. (Like the final archetype or the melder overhaul)

At the same time, a campaign to reach out to the players that have left (even  those whose activity has gone to basically nothing but are still logging in) to actively gather data about the cause of this is probably the only thing that's really going to give decent guidance on what to focus on.

• Less power creep. There always seems to be a new shiny thing to buy.

To add onto this, the power creep seems to be real right now - lots of wonderitems not a lot of affordable artifacts/ "poor man's" artifacts to counter these new items. I guess balancing these would be better, but I would like to see something 'shiny' that isn't just artifacts or wonderpromos. 
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
  • edited September 2018
    More events and activities to take part in.

Bashing events and pvp events mainly. As a game, compared to most other IRE games atm, Lusternia is really short on both. Especially pvp.

The biggest decline I've noticed recently myself is in the past few months is where raiding has basically stopped. Raiding being the few forms of pvp most people can take part in, without set people forcing the raiding its really caused a noticeable drop in players staying logged on in a number of orgs.

• Think the general answer from looking over everyones answer is "moar stuff" to do. Whether thats more divine actually playing and talking to people, more bashing achievments or more pvp battlegrounds.

Just anything happening would be a big boost to player retention.
  • For me, it is less about "moar stuff," and more about there being people to do stuff with. As someone with a less favourable timezone, I often wake up and find myself to be the only person online in my org and one of only a few online at all. It also, in my own experience at least, feels as if the remaining people have been condensing themselves into fewer orgs, leaving those unable/unwilling to do so feeling as if they have even less company. That is not a rant about people who have moved, only an observation. Where previously there was Gaudi/Glom/Celest vs Halli/Seren/Mag, it feels like pvp is Glom vs Mag now for the most part. I would certainly be interested in knowing if anyone from Gaudiguch or Celest feels the same way or if I am just letting IC biases affect my experience of the game.

As for raiding, I do know a number of people who were getting worn down by the seemingly constant raiding at one point. I say seemingly because people can only judge by when they play. What might feel to one person like, for an example, an hour when they can reliably know that people on the other side are online can feel constant if that is the majority of your time online or it is the only time you can interact with certain people. Add to that a perception of balance issues (Not even going to open that can of worms here, what matters is the perception of it), and you get people quitting. Once a sufficient number of pvpers on one side quit, raiding becomes less enjoyable for both sides due to the imbalance.

I would also argue that daily quests do not help. Whereas before I might log in, see no one around and hunt astral for a bit, which led to interaction with the game and with other players as well on more than one occasion, now it is a case of doing the daily quest and then logging off or hiding in a manse if no one is online. The issue here is that one of those options carries with it a chance of interaction while the other doesn't.

So really, I think that a number of the options apply. I do think that the answer lies somewhere in the game itself however, rather than in small shiny things being waved in front of us constantly for a month and then forgotten about - be they wonderitems, daily quests or collectables. I am not sure of the effectiveness of those from a business standpoint - presumably they are or they wouldn't keep happening, but I do not believe that they alone would lead to increased player retention or players coming back. There may well be figures showing that I am wrong there though.

• I've just recently discovered all the games in Lusternia. I'd love to see more around those. And more reasons to get folks playing them. I'm not a PvPer, and it seems like PvP is the only thing that gets people motivated. There's only ever 4 or 5 names in the Ikon battle ranks each season. And compared to the other games, that's a lot, sadly.
  • Bairloch said:
    I've just recently discovered all the games in Lusternia. I'd love to see more around those. And more reasons to get folks playing them. I'm not a PvPer, and it seems like PvP is the only thing that gets people motivated. There's only ever 4 or 5 names in the Ikon battle ranks each season. And compared to the other games, that's a lot, sadly.
    Ikon battles are not really anything complex. it is really a simple game that you really only use a single type of gestalt. There is no real strategy to the game itself. Most ikons are probably used for their influence buff more than anything else.

• Just for a pov that does tend to miss out on stuff.

Events and divine interaction wouldn't really help my desire to play because they typically happen when I'm at work or asleep irl. Which in turn means that it's something you feel like you're missing out on.
    Unless the admin go on a hiring spree to get coverage across the time zones, focusing on this over other stuff that could engage people regardless of their play time would be frustrating for me and presumably others who only get see the logs of the awesome stuff that happens when we're not around.
  • SazSaz
    edited September 2018
    Hi, I don't play this game anymore. It's just a placeholder for my retirement value and I casually login to talk to some friends in OOC media. But I'll leave a spoiler box just like Vatul did, for those curious about why I don't find the game appealing anymore.

Roleplay: I think that's the core of this genre and while Lusternia has an immensely rich lore with beautiful writers both in players and admins, the game lacks casual-impromptu roleplay. Getting events, interactions with divines, those are all nice. But there's just no catch for me, unless you can 'feel' that you are building a role, in depth relationships, a plan that is in place, and the progress. Even when doing all this earns your character a bad reputation such as "Pushing for an agenda", or "Forming cliques". Unfortunately, while it's possible to get a grasp of such an experience, Lusternia or more specifically some of its orgs seem to be heavily moderated by the administration. It's not really alluring to be really good at everything there's possible to do in the game and sit prettily at a corner whereas your character could do so much more. Create and influence so many more. I felt so heavily discouraged by those interventions I actually stopped roleplaying altogether, despite the fact that my character switched orgs. So it was a huge negative on my end.

Freshness: I think it's admirable the people filling the god roles are trying to be innovative and engaging for all of the playerbase. The events, new quests, casual interactions, even the feeling when your Divine favors your character for stating something clever on CT. Those are all brilliant. Then again, there's a serious problem with trying to satisfy a playerbase that isn't very self-satisfactory on its own (Which I think is heavily connected to the lack of player-driven RP, but I digress). And that problem is when they fail to meet our expectations, despite all the good intentions. Re: PvP Monk Rework. Players were anticipating this for a long time, so you give them that. But the tests weren't done yet, some instakills were wonky. People got worn out by the related bugs and the simple unbalanced nature of the skillsets back then, it really put a lot of people on the edge. Could it be better balanced in the test server with more time? Probably. Re: Chaos Event Megathread. With all the best intentions to spice up something stagnant, things got out of hand really quick. A quick look in the thread can give you an idea. Re: Last Final Ascension Event. I actually just heard about it, because I was already set with my mind to avoid it. Re: Last Year's Wheel Promo. A promotion that obviously got released without thinking much about the numbers and with limited availability to the playerbase, so it caused a lot of strife. My point is, it's usually better to not rush coming up with "more new stuff" just because there's an endless quench for it from the playerbase.

PvP: So here we are... I relegated myself to a pvp-only guy sometime last year and while it is, or it was actually fun, I did feel the powercreep pretty heavily (but only towards the end) and I'm saying that as a guy that actually had no problem while playing with no transcended skillsets and no artifacts for at least 6 months, that didn't even know how most skills worked. But I felt useful, I felt impactful despite all that. Even after that I enjoyed combat at the minimum possible investment level for the remainder of it. In my last few months it felt like the dynamism in PvP was gone because of pseudolocks, a new curio that hard counters mobility and countless getoutofjailforfree cards with wonderitems. Regardless of the reasons, it just didn't feel fun. Lack of raids were never a concern for me, I think I'm well within my rights to say as someone that probably defended over 300 hours of raids they weren't even that healthy to begin with. I've seen a lot of my friends worn out by those and simply became too sensitive to anything negative afterwards because of the physical exhaustion (Because back in the day a raid was only a raid if it lasted for 4-5 real life hours minimum, I'm pretty sure I've seen one that lasted for 10 hours too). Surely the instigator might be thinking that's what the game needs. They can't get their PvP now, give them that. But then again, they need to take a break and think about why their worthy opposition decided against playing a game with them. If someone is unfun to play with that's for them to realize, not for anyone else. Not for administration to come up with something shinier or something more fun to make up for it, even if those players are paying the bills of the game. So were the ones that were driven away by that attitude.

Conclusion
    Thank you for actually making this far into my criticisms and thoughts about the game. It might not have been easy, but I hope you can appreciate my honesty if nothing else. Typing this post took me back to the ebb&flow of numbers in org populations. Some orgs casually rise, some orgs casually fall, right? Some players go then some players come. Such is the nature of things. But that line of thinking overlooks that there're reasons for all of these to happen. I think, if this was my game, I'd be more interested in knowing those reasons. Not just trying to understand why the new players are not preferring it over alternatives, but also why the players that actually know the game and liked the game are deciding not to play it anymore. If it's boredom or simply lacking time to play it, that's fine. That can happen to anyone in any game. But I think I know enough players to counter argue that most people I know that left the game had experienced game-related issues over simply losing interest in Lusternia.

"Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • Just cause discord discussions.

Customer service stuff is a big one, almost all encompassing one.

* People complain about stuff they don't like, resolutions don't happen, they don't like the game so they leave. 
    * Other people with the same complaint also leave cause that's what people do. (The vast majority of customers leave without complaining when they're unhappy)
    * Repeat for long enough and it creates the expectation that when people complain stuff doesn't happen, so why bother complaining, just leave, which then leads to less complaints.

While they've been resolved, the years between people first starting to ask for a guild overhaul or a fix to totems are examples here. But it took sooo long and like... what do you expect happens when peoples complaints aren't resolved or at the least addressed in a reasonable time frame?

That's before you even get to stuff like when there's a negative experience around a complaint/issue, such as a forum thread or not even an acknowledgement from the admin (either in email, forum, or message).
  • Eh, I don't think that's been true for a long time now, as far as "customer service" type concerns go and not "i'm not satisfied with this game system" type stuff.
  • I can't pick any of the options as it's family, work & need for sleep that limit my play time to about 20 hrs/week (still quite a lot!) and I'd happily play more if I could. I like questing and uncovering lore so I've always got a big list of things to do that are catered for by the game, even before interacting with people.
  • Dys said:
    I can't pick any of the options as it's family, work & need for sleep that limit my play time to about 20 hrs/week (still quite a lot!) and I'd happily play more if I could. I like questing and uncovering lore so I've always got a big list of things to do that are catered for by the game, even before interacting with people.
    And that wedding of course......
  • Has anyone looked at the type of player drifting away? For me PvP seems to have almost disappeared from the game - and it is not something I look for but is noticeable by its absence. I go up to Domoths and Wildnodes now not really expecting more than a token fight.

I am loathe to say more divine interaction - people need to learn to make their own entertainment.

I would say more group activities - being part of a group will make people stay around longer

Perhaps look at why the cities are so unbalanced in terms of numbers? Maybe lose one or two to make the game seem busier?