Core Skills!

edited November 2018 in Common Grounds

Starting immediately, we have added a new skillset category called "Core" skillsets which are basically 9 previously "Common" skillsets as follows:

Core Skills    Pool

-------------  ------------

Combat         Melee

Discernment    Intellect

Low/Highmagic  Arcana

Planar         Mysticism

Discipline     Willpower

Environment    Communion

Influence      Magnetism

Dramatics      Performance

Arts           Finearts

Core skillsets are maxed out at the Fabled skill rank. The number of skills remains the same, the only difference is that the skill rank system for core skills have been adjusted to:

1) Inept   (0 lessons, 8 to the next rank)

2) Novice  (8 lessons, 10 to the next rank)

3) Capable (18 lessons, 76 to the next rank)

4) Master  (94 lessons, 130 to the next rank)

5) Gifted  (224 lessons, 259 to the next rank)

6) Expert  (483 lessons, 427 to the next rank)

7) Fabled  (910 lessons, maximum possible rank)

Of course, this also means that anyone who currently has a skillrank over Fabled will be getting a lesson rebate--which may be quite massive if you've maxed out all the common skills! If a skillset is currently below Fabled, it will be adjusted as if it was learned under the new system.

The reason for this change is we have heard your concerns about the number of lessons needed because of our many skillsets, and hope this will go some way towards offering some relief in that regard.

Enjoy!

Comments

• edited November 2018
    Just a quick note for Ministers of Education and other such people - you're probably going to need to update your city/commune and guild helpfiles for newbies to account for the new way core skills work, as the numbers will be about half as much (each core lesson is worth ~1.9 normal lessons).

If you find anything on our end that could do with clarifying in terms of helpfiles, just HELPBUG it and we'll look into it ASAP.

Thank you!
  • Really sorry here...but just because you gave us one thing does not mean I'm not going to immediately ask for something else!  B)

So first off, I think this is a good move and will help characters who aren't Steingrim. So round of applause all around for the change.

As to the ask. Something, something to do with lessons. Let's start with people being able to buy languages with lessons (with a really strong caution to not spend lessons on languages until one has learned all the skills they ever wish to).

Additionally, I'd like to see ideas for other things people can spend lessons on? Perhaps mini-trade skills like candle making, fireworks, etc?
  • I don't mind ideas for new use for lessons, but not languages (sorry!).
  • In case anyone is curious and doesn't feel like doing math, if you have all the core skills transed, you get back 7380 lessons, enough for a bit over 4 trans skills.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Sylphas said:
    In case anyone is curious and doesn't feel like doing math, if you have all the core skills transed, you get back 7380 lessons, enough for a bit over 4 trans skills.
    ?  I got 8200 lessons back with all the core skills transed.
  • Brilliant, thanks!

It looks a solid help for newer players, 35% fewer lessons to trans all core skills plus 3 class skills.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Well, people should turn lessons into curios and put them on the market >.>
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Lessons for czigany coins
  • I picked up Cavalier, Athletics, and Forging, because I can never find someone to enhance my aethersuit. :-/ Saving the rest in case something gets implemented, otherwise likely dumping them into curios.
  • edited November 2018
    Rancoura said:
    Steingrim said:
    Let's start with people being able to buy languages with lessons (with a really strong caution to not spend lessons on languages until one has learned all the skills they ever wish to).
    Putting lessons into Bookbinding to learn the Language skills is kind of this, no?

On another note, thank you Estarra and admin team! This is a much appreciated change.
    You cap out on number of languages you can learn.

Also, there is already an artifact to learn languages, which makes not being able to use lessons and having to buy artifacts a bit of  a slap in the face. Would be nice to have something to spend them on (curios were diluted to the point that they're more bummers than winners).

So what ideas do you have Rancoura? That's not facetious, but if people don't speak up we're asking for nothing for 5 more years.
  • I love the idea of mini skillsets. Though I believe it takes a lot of coding, and maybe its better to fix the existing skillsets first.

Buying czigany coins or racetrack tickets, same way as curios now, sounds like a good idea. Maybe allow to turn them back to (bound) credits?
  • edited November 2018
    Elarin said:
    I love the idea of mini skillsets. Though I believe it takes a lot of coding, and maybe its better to fix the existing skillsets first.

Buying czigany coins or racetrack tickets, same way as curios now, sounds like a good idea. Maybe allow to turn them back to (bound) credits?

That is likely only the case if implemented within the skill system. Consider as an alternative lessons for curios. In case of curios, the lessons are used more as a currency. The downside of a swap like that is you can lose completely the value of the lessons (though systems could be implemented to track it).

Achaea had miniskills (mostly resistances ages ago) I believe they were removed ages ago (maybe a dozen years?). That being the case and given the recent introduction of core skills it seems doable.

I suspect the implementation of  skills as in what would they do, coding, and flavour text would be the more difficult part, as conceivably mini-trades access could (not saying should) but, could, be like pumpkin carving, but where you spend lessons to learn the techniques and gain access.

I know I'm a bit out on a limb speculating here, but usually you can draw from the existing to have a sense of the possible. You mostly get painted into coding corners when you try to implement things within an existing system which is both brittle and not designed to accommodate those changes. Some aspects of the game are part of the core IRE systems and those traditionally are harder to improve. With legacy systems you're traditionally better off keeping the systems apart except with bits that require friction.

-- edit. It used to be the case you could gamble lessons in blackjack and roulette. I forget why it was changed. Perhaps, because it was due to people who serial rolled up characters until they got lucky and won a few k lessons or maybe it was the loss of players who could not resist destroying characters betting for a lucky payout?
  • I heard tell that another part of the issue (and the serial-alts thing was definitely going on) was that Matt was tired of getting rageemails from people with gambling problems, alcohol-and-gambling problems, or just poor judgment when they'd blown hundreds of RL dollars on the tables. Pretty sure that's why the blackjack dealer in Achaea (cannot remember the name. I wanna say Merindia?) was p much turned into a supermob. She spent a whole lot of time putting people's asses up on deathsight, along with the scantily-dressed prostitute.
  • Very minor discrepancy in the numbers. The announce/this post say that:

But when I test it out, I get:

1) Inept   (0 lessons, 9 to the next rank)

2) Novice  (9 lessons, 9 to the next rank)

This adds up to 18 so everything after this is good. As I say, very minor, but as I update scrolls, which is correct?

• High/Lowmagic updated on the wiki.
  • Eliron said:
    Very minor discrepancy in the numbers. The announce/this post say that:

But when I test it out, I get:

1) Inept   (0 lessons, 9 to the next rank)

2) Novice  (9 lessons, 9 to the next rank)

This adds up to 18 so everything after this is good. As I say, very minor, but as I update scrolls, which is correct?

I've adjusted the helpfile. There's potential to be off by one or two lessons elsewhere as well. We'll adjust it as needed.