Let's talk about Glomdoring.

SazSaz
edited March 2019 in Common Grounds
Glomdoring has the hands-down best mechanical synergy in the game for a long while now.

This is a bold claim, (Unintended pun, sorry.) but here goes its reasoning. Assuming you're a complete novice with IRE Combat, first thing you are going to learn is that it's a race versus curing. If you can put in more afflictions and/or damage than a person can cure at a time, they stack and that person eventually dies. Either swiftly, because of vital pressure. Or in a helpless state without being able to do anything, because of the afflictions those are piled on top of each other.

So what does Glomdoring have, that we should discuss them seperately from the other organizations in the game? Let's start with their designed synergy points. Poisons and Bleeding.

So what are the synergy points for other organizations in the game, you might ask?

Hallifax has timewarps.
Gaudiguch has temporary insanity.
Celest, correct me if I'm wrong, has no org-wide synergy focus that every single class can contribute to.
Neither does Magnagora.
And neither does Serenwilde.

So Hallifax, Gaudiguch and Glomdoring are already at an advantage with an overly simplified logic. Let's compare timewarps, temporary insanity and bleeding&poisons with each other.

What's TimeWarp? From AFF INFO TIMEWARP within the game.
<div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;When warped in time, you will find the quicksilver defence slower to rise and your</div><div>equilibrium slower to return if disrupted. This effect has a scaling effect depending on how warped&nbsp;</div><div>in time you are.</div>

It's nice, negligible mostly, but not terrible? Well it's something at least, some orgs have nothing at all. What's not written in those lines is that Timewarps when stacked at very high levels allow for Hallifax Guardians to instantly kill their targets. Or that in the presence of a Hallifax Bard, They cause little to heavy damage every time their songs tick. So, synergy it is. Every Hallifax class, can little or more apply timewarps in some way. No one outside of Hallifax can do that. And what timewarp doesn't do is this, they do not really synergize with anything outside of Hallifax. Someone being punished heavily by massive timewarp has little to no use for a Shofangi monk for example. That's how niche it is.

What's TemporaryInsanity? AFF INFO TEMPORARYINSANITY
<div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;When temporarily insane, you will find yourself acting as if you were touched by Astral</div><div>Insanity, albeit to a lesser degree, based on how insane you are.</div>

It's a command failure, offensive and defensive both. So, it's better than TimeWarp in my opinion and does cause more ruckus for the target if it was being targeted by anything non-Gaudiguch as well. While it's pretty good, I don't find it that overwhelming to be honest. Very much like Timewarps, Gaudiguch Guardians can instantly kill massively TemporaryInsanity stacked targets and their bards drain more ego&mana with higher insanity levels. Different vitals, yet a mirror match-up to Hallifax.

Now, Bleeding&Poisons.

Bleeding. HELP BLEEDING
<div>When you are hit by a cutting weapon in Lusternia, you will usually begin to bleed. After you begin<br></div><div>bleeding, you'll continue to bleed health points every so often. Your body will gradually clot the&nbsp;</div><div>blood, but this will take time.</div>
What the help file is missing is that clotting consumes mana as well. But as you can see, bleeding is by no means a mechanic that's limited to Glomdoring. Every warrior, every druid, every monk in the game can make you bleed. It's just that whenever you bleed around Glomdoring, you bleed more and consequences are even more dire. So this is already a problematic design flaw, as you can see. Not only Bleeding is a vital pressure that is never useless to have on your target. It also can enable for anyone and anything to kill your target faster, by design. And losing mana to clotting is still very beneficial to Glomdoring as they have the powerhouse of Shadowdancers that can instantly kill anyone below %50 of their mana pool with Toadcurse.

Let's take a quick look at Harbingers' Shadowbeat skillset, bard archetype from Glomdoring.

This means whenever you clot, you lose double the mana or whenever a Shadowdancer uses twists, you lose double the mana.)<h2>BloodyCaps</h2>Any enemy who hears this sound will begin to bleed profusely.<br><h2>Shadowpulse</h2>Personal enemies who hear this haunting tune will find their heartrate increased dramatically, causing additional bleeding damage. In addition, those who bleed profusely will find the melody freeze their blood, causing paralysis.<br><h2>SlaughFest</h2>Barghests, redcaps and slaugh who hear this music will be driven into a frenzy and attack faster than they normally would.<br><h2>NightshadeBlues</h2>Those enemies who hear this sad melody will find that most things that causes their mana to go down will cost twice as much. (
Glomdoring Bards, have 2 songs that directly buff the bleeding damage and amount and another one to increase the mana drain that can potentially come from clotting to enable Shadowdancers. And another one to directly increase the manadrain a Shadowdancer's ents are doing. And if you didn't know how bards function, those songs can be used together, and they actually stack on top of each other. Although I am not sure if they stack with different Harbinger bards, I think they probably do not though. Okay comparing those 4 songs to Hallifax. We've one song, that adds one stack of Timewarp and does little to heavy damage, it scales. And Gaudiguch also has a single song that only does mana and ego damage, which also scales. There're already 3 songs worth difference for us to enable our Guardian archetypes. And that's between the three orgs that thematically have synergies. It's even worse for the rest on that regard.

And Glomdoring monks, Nekotai does have stances to cause more bleeding, et cetera. I do not wish to bore you to death with details, but I want to paint a clear picture where this parity can be observed easily.

Now Poisons for Glomdoring. This will be short. Remember the IRE Combat code. Yeah, Bleeding was feeding the vitals end, now Poison synergy is feeding the affliction stacking end. Now maybe in the past it wasn't actually a huge deal, I do not know. But I feel like, with the new monks potentially throwing off 10 afflictions in one balance. I think every single extra affliction on your target matters. If a Nekotai monk, A Blacktalon druid and a Harbinger fights a Shofangi monk, a Hartstone druid and a Spiritsinger bard. The Glomdoring group can do 3 extra afflictions, without even spending anything, just passively, to their targets. And that's because of the extra passive affliction capability that comes from poison synergy each of those classes have in their skillsets in opposition to their counterparts. And yes, it does actually matter. It matters so very much, if it doesn't, then ask the current high-tier monks why they are using their Beasts to spit, or why do Ascendant monks benefit more from two affliction spitting at once beasts more. This is a very clear cut, offensive advantage that stacks just too well. Yes, Serenwilde at the same time has access to pathtwist, stagtotem in that scenario. But eh... Their usefulness are a bit niche, just utility advantage, if not blatantly useless in today's combat.

So, these are just synergies. But there're other certain advantages to combat tools that Glomdoring has. To my game knowledge, Glomdoring skillsets have the two most fool-proof, least effort-most success aliases coded in the game. In other words, easier to get into combat skills, just spam this forever and you win abilities.

One of them being twist. You just spam a single alias, it drains vitals, is one of the strongest hinders in the game and it progresses towards your kill method. All in one pack. Just earlier today, while I was reading Aetolia Forums for their class balance (because I'm kind of pondering where to go), and I saw someone stating this:
S Tier -&nbsp;Luminary, your hinder is your kill path.
Okay now that does remind of an ability! Albeit, Toad is the actual kill method, twist is still the path to that ender. And it does everything else that's possible to do, as well.

The other skill is Noose, for wyrdenwoods. We've all been novices at one point or another and people kindly adviced to us that we should just have an entangling enchantment so we could spam it on their targets. Or using our bashing attacks on them to help out with the damage. We chose one way and then went with it right? Well! Glomdoring Wyrdenwood novices did not, I assure you! And that's not even the full extend of what Noose is capable of.

So Noose: A regular 2.5s to 3s balance attack, if I recall correct. That entangles your target, while doing a moderate (Roughly 1.2k to 1.5k) %50 cutting, %50 asphyxiation health damage. )Very much like a bashing attack) That costs no power at all, that has no cooldown at all. It also does Bleeding, obviously since Wyrdenwoods are in Glomdoring, duh. And the best part is here... They can also throw either one Rune (Either an affliction or %25 of your maximum mana (Haegl), or Rad Rune) or two Runes for the cost of very cheap 1 power only. OR even better! If the Wyrdenwood is a Dreamweaver that can attach a Blackout mote and the Wyrdenwood can spam a Blackout+Entangle+Health Damage+A bit bleeding for no power cost at all! Note that simply applying blackout on someone costs 3 power for Shofangi. But that's noose for you, grab a novice by hand if they are on entangle spamming duty and tell them that "They can do so much more." Do it today. As a former Glomdoring Envoy has stated once:

(https://forums.lusternia.com/discussion/comment/183650#Comment_183650)

January, 2018 - Moi said:
I'm planning to ask for a Noose nerf when the Mage/Chemwood Special report comes around. Entangle + runes/motes + damage + bleed is obviously bonkers.

So I do not know what happened to Noose, or if there were truly an effort to change it. But there it is. 

So the numbers, the situation. Thank you for reading this far, honestly. But I think this isn't where it ends with Glomdoring. No, and I'm afraid this might be where it gets a bit more personal. If these were the problems, and they mechanically are, in my opinion. These could be fixed. Very easily too. The question is, why aren't they resolved? We're in 2019 for God's sake? Why have all the people given up trying to touch your skillset?. I've read it multiple times from Xenthos' own words. That he believes the players using the skillsets should have more of a say in what happens to their skillsets. Yes, I understand that. And they should. But why didn't the players using those skillsets do something about their own abilities? Why is the game still in this place? Is this seriously not an indicator that something is obviously wrong that most people you've played against are gone? The ones those are still playing against you are slowly but surely getting jaded? And it's completely unimaginable for me to grasp the logic that Veyils advocates,"The game is fun, you guys aren't trying enough and being negative to each other. That's the only problem." Well to that argument, I honestly have no words against. Throw everything out of the window and everyone should retire to Starmourn.

The last argument will be that Admins have a Glomdoring bias, some people share. I just very recently read a comment:
Anaklusmos said:
The bias towards Glomdoring has been present for years, in every instance that I've managed to convince myself to try Lusternia again (and again, and again). It's going to continue to be present, and its presence will continue to be denied.
I don't want to believe this is true. And this is honestly very hard to accept as a player, to state that's what they truly believe about a game they're invested in. But I did feel and I still occassionally feel sympathetic to this idea. Despite I don't know who they are, and that I've never interacted with this person not even once. The thing is it's like, I've a long memory of events that were left for administrators to decide, and they... Well, let's just say they were decided in Glom-favor. But I've also grown an administrator allergy in this game with some very good reasons as well, I am very sensitive about when and how I get scolded. Because it happened so many times, whereas certain individuals got away with everything they've done in the game and out of it. I'm sorry @Orael for backlashing at you like that in a passive-aggressive manner in that other thread. But I just can not overlook how much de-rail Veyils can do and get away with it and only when I finally respond and call him out on that, it's that point we're being reminded we're going off-topic. Deepdown I truly hope I'm just being immature, and over-sensitive, but yeah, there's that too.

Who am I?
Hi, I'm the player of Saz. I haven't played the game for a minimum of 6 months at least, despite I still login, I can not say that I still play nor that I am up-to-date with the most recent developments. My character had always been on the receiving end of Glomdoring, going back to days when he was in Serenwilde. Countless hours of raids, practically always an antagonist to my protagonist during my entire time in Lusternia. Which wasn't "always" a bad thing since I used to enjoy combat, it was just getting tiresome after a while. So yes, I'm potentially (highly) biased about your org. But guess what? I think I'm well within my rights to call myself experienced about you guys and your arsenal as well. But I will try to limit it to numbers and objective facts so this post, if not this thread, can be more understandable for casual reader and therefore more people can realize the situation with Glomdoring.

"Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I have never, ever been a top tier combatant. I'm a decent bard, I'm an ok melder. I am, in layman's terms, "a dirty casual". I don't micromanage, I don't min-max, and I'm barely a coder. Keep this all in mind in the following post.

At one point a year or three ago, I rolled a character in Glomdoring named Kraw, a Nekotai. I invested a middling amount of credits into him and used him mostly for hunting therapy, IE bashing to relieve stress. 

I approached an older member of Glomdoring (who was a really good Nekotai in the past)  via Discord and asked if he could put together some pvp forms for me. After looking at the skills which had changed while he wasn't playing, he gave me five forms, as well as the form for the instakill. For the next several months, I used only those forms, pretty much pvping by hitting k1-k2-k3-k4-k5, and probably 95% of the time,  the person bled to death/got instakilled, or ran away. During that time, I won pretty much any 1v1 aside from a few players who were known to be top tier.  Not artifacted, not omnitrans, just a good skillset that works well with the others around it.

It got boring. Serenwilde and whoever their allies were automatically focused me in fights, people would constantly try to jump me (and fail) during hunting, and I pretty much did what I wanted. I ended up retiring him because I didn't want to have such an easy button. Everything I did fed other people's kills, and vice versa. 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Mag has very good group synergy with plague affs, dust aff stacking and deathmark building. If you do a similar review of mag skills you'll see that.
  • edited March 2019
    Celest probally has the worst synergy in the game for sure.

Mags got great synergy with deathmark building and dust stacking. Lots of their classes do good dust and plauge affs whichs builds into their crux kill and their bards damage. Building this also results in more mana drain to feed into other kills.

Kraw was a monk pre monk overhaul and before monks got a damage nerf. People generally considered all monks fairly op at that time.

EDIT: If you want to go into a detailed review of how an org synergy works and how they can get great kills send me a PM and I'll walk you though the various classes Shaddus.  Saz you've also made a few points on abilities that have been changed since. You may need to go and review the skillsets before you assess them like this.
  • edited March 2019
    Truly? We have synergy? Please tell me how I, a Geomancer, ur'Guard, and Ninjakari can help towards deathmark building? Please also tell me how a Cacophony builds towards deathmarks? We have no synergy. Oh, @Saz you forgot to mention the amazingness that is Nightsweats and how ridiculous that makes their synergy even further.
  • edited March 2019
    Lycidas said:
    Truly? We have synergy? Please tell me how I, a Geomancer, ur'Guard, and Ninjakari can help towards deathmark building? Please also tell me how a Cacophony builds towards deathmarks? We have no synergy. Oh, @Saz you forgot to mention the amazingness that is Nightsweats and how ridiculous that makes their synergy even further.

That's an easy one to answer. You stack dust afflictions. Stacking dust causes deathmark to cure slower. I'm always happy to give combat advice to people.

• Lycidas said:
    Yes, I did. That's on me. Meanwhile Hallifax's cloudberry tea has a really nice flavour instead. You should check it out sometime. 
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • Orael said:
    This thread is about Glomdoring, not Magnagora. If you want to discuss Mag and it's strategies, please make a new thread

One of the major points in the thread was comparing the synergy of the orgs. It seems prudent to correct the errors the original poster has posted in regards to that and how they failed to notice synergy in the other orgs.
  • edited March 2019
    Not at all but nothing stands in a vacuum. If you are looking at how good somethings synergy is and you compare it to another org and they have very similar synergy then its a good way to see the game standard.

As to it being a major point the poster bolds synergy and spends a paragraph giving a summary of other orgs.

If the original poster wants to bring up other orgs to compare then it stands to reason what we should be able to point out the errors in his post when he talks about other orgs
  • longishpoast incoming.
  • @Deichtine

Me thinks it doesn't work the way you think it does. Necromancy attacks build deathmark, not dust afflictions. So ur'Guard that choose Necromancy and Nihilists get a 'combo' via sharing a skillset, amazing.
    edited March 2019
    You can't really say that an org has the best synergy as opposed to other orgs and not be expected to mention the other orgs. Orael has a point as do you. 

Mag has synergy. It's just not as deeply rooted as yours is, and the fact that it does have synergy doesn't make yours any less potent or viable. It also hasn't had that synergy for as long as Glomdoring has, nor as much time to build up competent players relying on that synergy.

-------

A common bard tactic is using m6 to drain mana/ego under manabarbs/egovice. No other org in the game benefits from this as much as Glomdoring does, because Glomdoring's array of skillsets are based on draining mana/bleeding for the most part.

--------

No other druid/wood besides Glomdoring's feeds into their other classes' skillsets, either.  Unless it's been changed, blacktalon skills (mostly Crow, but melding as well) and wyrdenwood skills all cause heavy bleeding, and wyrdenwood even heal off of local bleeding,  further enhancing their survivability.

Meanwhile, Geomancer melds prone and blind which I suppose helps monks and warrior. Geochems have a fume that drains a minor amount of health, three other fumes which cause paranoia/pox/asthma, and bombs which do commonly resisted damage types, and their trans skill hurts people holding their breath :/

Very little synergy in the last set. At one point, Magnagora's thing was large amounts of damage. With the introduction of "everyone gets illself and vitality", it's just not viable anymore, and any time we try to buff it, people point back at what Mag used to be and tell us that we don't need buffs.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • But whether something is underpowered or overpowered is a statement of its relation to other skills... so.. Ok. Anyways, what would you like to see added to other orgs to increase synergy? Specifically Serenwilde and Celest seem to be the odd man out, just looking at mechanics. I can agree that Glom has some NOICE synergy. Though admittedly the bleeding mechanic is a bit too heavily played into the dark and brooding theme, would much prefer to swap with the plague affs of Mag. 
  • Lycidas said:
    @Deichtine

Me thinks it doesn't work the way you think it does. Necromancy attacks build deathmark, not dust afflictions. So ur'Guard that choose Necromancy and Nihilists get a 'combo' via sharing a skillset, amazing.
    What cures deathmark stacks?
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • You guys are going to seriously insinuate that is our synergy? To set up at best two classes? That's like saying our synergy is just to keep stupidity as an affliction, we should just spam lucidity affs, totes legit.
  • Shaddus said:
    You can't really say that an org has the best synergy as opposed to other orgs and not be expected to mention the other orgs. Orael has a point as do you. 

Mag has synergy. It's just not as deeply rooted as yours is, and the fact that it does have synergy doesn't make yours any less potent or viable.

I was pointing out to Saz he was incorrect about Mag not having synergy at all. His quote was

```Celest, correct me if I'm wrong, has no org-wide synergy focus that every single class can contribute to.
    Neither does Magnagora.```

I agreed with his assessment on Celest not having any synergy. But its clearly wrong that Mag has no synergy. They have had a special report to update their classes and to give them synergy, possible this happend after Saz quit playing.

The second major point he's incorrect about is twist. It doesn't work as he described it. Again theres been a special report on it since Saz quit playing.

He's making numerous points that are incorrect and its necessary to point them out.

• I was attempting to explain the thought process behind the mentioning of dust affliction stacking and deathmark. But by all means, continue to be hostile toward someone who has largely stayed out of these Glomdoring conversations. That have gone on all day. I'm out. Enjoy the echo chamber.
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Deichtine said:
    Shaddus said:

Mag has synergy. It's just not as deeply rooted as yours is, and the fact that it does have synergy doesn't make yours any less potent or viable.

I was pointing out to Saz he was incorrect about Mag not having synergy at all. His quote was

```Celest, correct me if I'm wrong, has no org-wide synergy focus that every single class can contribute to.

I agreed with his assessment on Celest not having any synergy. But its clearly wrong that Mag has no synergy. They have had a special report to update their classes and to give them synergy, possible this happend after Saz quit playing.

The second major point he's incorrect about is twist. It doesn't work as he described it. Again theres been a special report on it since Saz quit playing.

He's making numerous points that are incorrect and its necessary to point them out.

I think the big point is the bolded bit.

• edited March 2019
    It's like no-one read the other thread about why people are so turned off on Glomdoring.

Continuing to point out how they are wrong and they just need to 'git gud' is exactly the issue people are complaining about in the 'Why are people leaving' thread. That's exactly what you're doing by discussing Magnagora synergy rather than Glomdoring synergy.

I'm trying to direct the conversation to something productive rather than just continuing down the same path with the same result.

I don't think that's too much to ask here.
  • Lavinya said:
    Deichtine said:
    Shaddus said:

I think the big point is the bolded bit.

Bards, mages, warriors, monks and guardians can all contribute to mags group synergy. 
  • You can read it as being hostile and treat it that way, but we know it isn't. I'm not swearing at people, I'm not insulting them, I'm not even belittling. The attempt was made, absolutely, but deathmark isn't even a kill strategy, it just reduces power costs for Necromancy abilities...that only two classes can even use. We do not have any kind of synergy relatable to Halli, Gaudi, or Glom. If plague affs are our 'big theme' and synergy, why do we have zero kill methods to utilize it? Nihilist is either crucify or demonmark, Geomancer is EternalSleep, ur'Guard is attrition, Ninjakari have their monk insta, and Cacophony have their universal bard stuff. Nothing these classes do outright aide each other except by affliction stacking, which is pretty much just vanilla combat.
  • Lycidas said:
    You can read it as being hostile and treat it that way, but we know it isn't. I'm not swearing at people, I'm not insulting them, I'm not even belittling. The attempt was made, absolutely, but deathmark isn't even a kill strategy, it just reduces power costs for Necromancy abilities...that only two classes can even use. We do not have any kind of synergy relatable to Halli, Gaudi, or Glom. If plague affs are our 'big theme' and synergy, why do we have zero kill methods to utilize it? Nihilist is either crucify or demonmark, Geomancer is EternalSleep, ur'Guard is attrition, Ninjakari have their monk insta, and Cacophony have their universal bard stuff. Nothing these classes do outright aide each other except by affliction stacking, which is pretty much just vanilla combat.

Deathmark is a kill strategy because it facilitates crux/sac.
    Huzzah, Magnagora is fixed! Our synergy is simply "make people eat a lot of dust until they run out!"
  • How many dust affs do I have to stack to kill someone?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited March 2019
    Deichtine said:
    Lycidas said:
    You can read it as being hostile and treat it that way, but we know it isn't. I'm not swearing at people, I'm not insulting them, I'm not even belittling. The attempt was made, absolutely, but deathmark isn't even a kill strategy, it just reduces power costs for Necromancy abilities...that only two classes can even use. We do not have any kind of synergy relatable to Halli, Gaudi, or Glom. If plague affs are our 'big theme' and synergy, why do we have zero kill methods to utilize it? Nihilist is either crucify or demonmark, Geomancer is EternalSleep, ur'Guard is attrition, Ninjakari have their monk insta, and Cacophony have their universal bard stuff. Nothing these classes do outright aide each other except by affliction stacking, which is pretty much just vanilla combat.

Deathmark is a kill strategy because it facilitates crux/sac.
    Which only two classes can use, and seems to have become the requirement for our warriors to have as their tertiary. 

Where's the synergy if we have a monk, bard and geo? If that's the argument.

Anyway as Orael said, this sort of thing really doesn't help, at all. 'We're not OP because you have X' I think everyone is pretty universally fed up with it.

• edited March 2019
    Kalnid said:
    How many dust affs do I have to stack to kill someone?

Enough to build to 20 dmark.
    Deichtine said:
    Kalnid said:
    How many dust affs do I have to stack to kill someone?

Enough to build to 20 dmark.
    So pretty much all of Mag besides necromancers are support, got it.
  • Which dust aff builds deathmarks? Is it asthma? What about vomiting or pox, do those build deathmarks?
This discussion has been closed.