Lusternian AMA

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Mboagn said:

Speaking of nagasith, since they're a subset of mugwumps, can they interbreed even without the aid of human bonking magic? Or are the two races too different now?
    Nagasith (the player race) can't breed at all, they aren't from our timeline.  The nagas left in the caverns now seem like a completely different race at this point, but it is an interesting question...
    I was going to compare nagas:mugwumps as orcs:orclach, but I'm not actually sure if orcs / orclach can intermingle either (for some reason "no" is stuck in my mind but the helpfile definitely doesn't close the door on that since it calls them a sub-race).
  • wait...what the heckity...:O 
    It's pronounced "Maggy'!

Explorer (80%), Achiever (53%), Socializer (53%), Killer (13%)
    Bartle Taxonomy
    (test yourself)

• edited November 2020
    Terentia said:
    Reclaiming my Quizmaster crown as I remain away(ish) while continuing my exam preparations.

1.) Out of all the movies, books, and TV shows in the world, what character of figure in that wide world best matches or captures the essence of your character? 
    2.) What is one fact that few people have caught on about your character?
    3.) What is your favorite IG literary book?
    4.) What is your favorite IG scholarly book? 
    5.) How do you perceive scale in Lusternia? How do you imagine how big is the Inner Sea? How do you reconcile there being only 10 firefly squid in the ocean (this isn't true, but this is an example)? This is a theoretical kind of question, I think. 
    6.) Do you prefer longform emotes or predetermined/overridden emotes?
    7.) What are some of your questions about... mugwumps? (This is a @Mboagn bone of a question, but you can offer other questions about Lusternian peoples; NB, this does not mean I, or any admin, will necessarily answer them).
    8.) I know you all like Divine interaction, but I really wonder, what exactly constitutes that? Is me interacting with you in-person enough? Fulcrux? Through Order-related denizens? 
    9.) How do you imagine how you relate to the Gods (especially those of you in Orders)? 
    10.) How do you best communicate to others (players, perhaps even Godmin) the story beats or plots that you want to engage or participate in? What do you think would be a good way if there is not a "best" way? 

1)Dunno. I like to think some mashup between the self-doubt and discomfort about nobility of Rand al'Thor mixed with Sam Axe. But I feel like not really? I used https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/characters/ to get an idea of potential characters that fit his personality.
    2) He keeps a list.
    3/4) None, as of yet. Finally got demigod, and so gonna stop and smell the roses, as it were, and enjoy some of the cultural stuff in Lusternia.
    5) I mean, a day = an hour. So one hour = two and a half minutes. One minute = ~2.4 seconds. So, given how quickly we're able to move around, I'd say the scale works as far as time and travel goes. Ish. Enough that I can reconcile it okay. Distances, number of mobs, etc., I liken to playing Dungeons and Dragons. DM doesn't explicitly detail EVERY citizen in a city, just the important ones/ones you interact with. I look at say, the beggars in Mag the same way. They're the ones that we take notice of, if we want to.
    6) Either. I tend to adapt to whomever I'm rping with.
    7) Baked, fried, or grilled?
    8) I mean, I asked an imp a question, and got answers. That was pretty awesome. I tend to avoid events/divine stuff, since it's always a flood of people and emoting, and I tend to not have anything to add to the chaos. I've been playing Lusternia (sometimes really actively) for a long time off and on, and I think I've appeared in a event post ever.
    9) Indifferent, but curious.
    10) Depends, really. For stuff that can easily be pushed in an IC fashion, that's my preference. But I have no problem shooting someone a message with the ol' //.

• Terentia said:
    Reclaiming my Quizmaster crown as I remain away(ish) while continuing my exam preparations.

1.) Out of all the movies, books, and TV shows in the world, what character of figure in that wide world best matches or captures the essence of your character? 
    2.) What is one fact that few people have caught on about your character?
    3.) What is your favorite IG literary book?
    4.) What is your favorite IG scholarly book? 
    5.) How do you perceive scale in Lusternia? How do you imagine how big is the Inner Sea? How do you reconcile there being only 10 firefly squid in the ocean (this isn't true, but this is an example)? This is a theoretical kind of question, I think. 
    6.) Do you prefer longform emotes or predetermined/overridden emotes?
    7.) What are some of your questions about... mugwumps? (This is a @Mboagn bone of a question, but you can offer other questions about Lusternian peoples; NB, this does not mean I, or any admin, will necessarily answer them).
    8.) I know you all like Divine interaction, but I really wonder, what exactly constitutes that? Is me interacting with you in-person enough? Fulcrux? Through Order-related denizens? 
    9.) How do you imagine how you relate to the Gods (especially those of you in Orders)? 
    10.) How do you best communicate to others (players, perhaps even Godmin) the story beats or plots that you want to engage or participate in? What do you think would be a good way if there is not a "best" way? 

1. Estral from the Green Rider Series is probably the closest I can think of without putting great thought into it. It's not intentional, but there's a lot of parallels in Alexandria's thought processes, the music that underlies everything, and particularly in how she views herself.
    2. She's got a wicked sense of humour, but only around very few characters, none of whom are active presently.
    3/4. Pass.
    5. It gets the 'I'm magical' suspension of disbelief. If I can basically blink through rooms at incredible speed, and fly on wings made of crystal, and jump off the edge of a magical cliff that is both up and down and land safely at the other end. Once you accept these things, the specific amount of items/critters in an area is less of a workaround and more of a given. (Would still love more honeycomb though.)
    6. I prefer a steady mixture of both. If I am with someone who tends towards longform, I will gravitate towards it as well. Otherwise, I am just as happy using both in tandem.
    7. Pass.
    8. All of it. Never once did I feel like it wasn't special when Czixi's NPCs spoke to Alexandria. Allie's relationship with the Order was predominantly with the NPCs over Czixi herself, because that's how it worked best when Czixi was still about frequently. I will treasure every minute of it, and trying to alt and be in another Order still feels like a betrayal of what I had and loved dearly.
    9. Very complicated in regards to Allie/Czixi. Allie was very, very secure in feeling like she mattered until the day one of the NPCs said something that came off as "you'll always be second to <spoilers>". After that day, it became less a given to Allie and more... I don't know. It's hard to describe. It was a hard transition, because it was both happiness and deep insecurity, and I had insight into that other relationship that made it both better and worse. I have mostly been burned by gods going inactive before - Auseklis early on, when I was one of the first (maybe first) to join. Isune, when she moved to Hallifax and dissolved the Order - after Kiarlea had been following her for A Very Long Time. Another one (who I think has moved one) really, really burned me with preferential treatment to someone else who I had been working alongside. Honestly, me the player is starting to feel like none of them really want me around them, and while I know it's my anxiety speaking, it's a hard feeling to shake after so long playing this game.
    10. Nelras and I frequently communicated about stuff - especially the less pleasant parts - OOCly on discord, mostly to keep things from becoming too awkward. Often we would share snippets the other might not see - thoughts or tells, etc - but we never let it affect the story from carrying on, even when it goes unexpected ways. In-character? I just... aim the RP that way and blunder in however my character would, if it's awkward. Allie, when it's important, will usually write long, rambling letters. Other characters will just speak to directly to the person. I tailor it to suit the character when it's strictly in-character - if it's something that requires cooperation from another that I'm not 100% sure they will be okay with, I'll usually obtain consent in an OOC format. 

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!

• Another day, another round of questions from a procrastinating Divine.

1. As a player, how do you like to celebrate in-game events to make them special?
    2. When has Lusternia genuinely surprised you? Whether it's lore, or an event, or a player interaction that took a direction you didn't expect.
    3. What is your favorite RP log you have and why?
    4. Who was your character's first friend in Lusternia?
    5. Any especially good Ironbeard gifts you'd like to brag about? Tis the Season!
    Avatar by Sam Smith. You can follow her on Twitter here.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Lantra said:
    Another day, another round of questions from a procrastinating Divine.

1. As a player, how do you like to celebrate in-game events to make them special?
    2. When has Lusternia genuinely surprised you? Whether it's lore, or an event, or a player interaction that took a direction you didn't expect.
    5. Any especially good Ironbeard gifts you'd like to brag about? Tis the Season!

1) I guess I don't, really.

2) During the dreamweaving event (I think), Ev and a few others were looking for information and of course, Ev goes to talk to Tokota. While there, Tokota started to get sleepy (a sign that he was under attack by whatever big bad we had). Someone went to get Adushoc and brought her there, and she did some stuff to try and help Tokota. That was really when the relationship between Adushoc and Tokota deepened, leading to their current blissful state.

We found out later that entire thing was off-the-cuff by the admin who was possessing Tokota at the time, as there was no plan for Tokota or Adushoc for anything in that event. Up until then, I had assumed that everything that happened in events was planned or scripted. To find out that something like that, that led to a major story shift for these two NPCs, was completely made up and unplanned on the spot was pretty neat.

3) To no one's surprise, it's one of the old Serenguard Vision Quest logs, specifcally, this log featuring Ev, Turnus, and Adasser. Those vision quests, every single one, brought out the best RP in people. I LOVED guiding people through them, since the only directions were basically, "You'll meet an animal spirit and ask them some questions." Yet the RP that people came up with, all unplanned, all on the spot, was always superb.

4) I think his name was Elmund. He was the first Serenguard Ev met when I started playing, and acted a bit like a mentor to him.

5) Nope!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited December 2020
    Lantra said:

1. I'm very weird when it comes to events. I love to hear about them and gather first-hand accounts after the fact, but being there for things gives me extreme performance anxiety. Should I say something? Is it proper to throw out an emote here? Do I look like I'm begging for attention when I just want to contribute? For the most part I prefer the backseat if only to keep my poor heart from crumbling under the pressure.

2. There was an old Mysrai event that radically changed my perception of how I as a player should be prepared to deal with godly influence over events, in a positive and character-building way. Long story short, Mysrai willed it that one of Their Order mobs ceased existing! Any mention of the name was met with godmotes of your brain getting foggy, of reality shuddering weirdly, effectively censoring whatever you were talking about - we had no choice but to accept this, at least until I found a clever way around it. The real surprise came when I wasn't punished for finding my way around it, but rather charged with keeping the secret for Them - it was so cool!

3. One particular log that's been lost to the ages, much to my chagrin, stands out. Before Mysrai's egregores were available as mounts, They pulled me into a super secret (and super "if you're here you're about to die") room, and the first one of them jumped out of my throat! Super spooky, super cool. It also set the tone for my role as Their Speaker of the Thousand Ways, which was a theme that continued for RL years beyond, up to the formation of my cult. Nothing has compared since!

4. As I've probably mentioned like fifteen times, @Xypher was Eri's first real friend, mentor and father figure. The two of them are still really tight even after all the centuries and life changes :)

5. Nope.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Lantra said:

2. When has Lusternia genuinely surprised you? Whether it's lore, or an event, or a player interaction thT

1: Not really sure how to answer this one. I'm not sure I get the context, sorry :(

2. Many of the divine have surprised me in so many ways, often showing the smiling, encouraging face of their player hiding behind the frowning, forboding faces of their characters. You play this game and labor under the notion that some people think poorly of you, and you find out that they think highly of you instead; some gods go out of their way to really encourage you and try to keep you around. Lyreth making Pesukaru His avatar, for instance, when Pesu was bordering on leaving the order because he didn't understand it, and didn't feel like he fit in. Fain taking Shaddus around His temple and showing him many of the hidden things. Crumkane 1.0 really spending a lot of time to make Subotai's time in His order special, and showing me that I can make a difference. Mysrai going out of their way to roleplay with {data redacted}, and not always giving me my way. The short time we had Ein, and the roleplay he had with all of us. Each of these and many more divine have went out of their way to give me a reason to stick around, and help me feel special.

I'm going to give a special shout-out to Terentia going out of Her way to give Parhelion the time of day, and even roleplaying with him. I really never expected anything to come from interacting with her, because I've never really had any sort of real rapport with older Terentia characters. 

3. There are too many to name, and I wish I could find where I've lost them: Eamna giving a gift to Parhelion, Czixi asking Shaddus about Thax's wellbeing, Thax speaking to Shaddus about joining His order, Shaddus being ordained in Fain's order (not for the faint of heart, I assure you), and more.

4. Too many to count!

5. I can't say I remember any specific Ironbeard gifts, but when the Vaults came out last year, Parhelion managed to win a torus and Boots of Shanth within like 3 keys of each other. That counts, right?
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • edited June 2021
    Lantra said:

I understand this thread hasn't been replied to in a good while, but I thought it'd be fun!

1. I generally don't 'celebrate' in-game events in general (unless you mean player-run ones...? Then I usually recognize whoever ran the event.)
    2. It, and the player base (admin included in this), being so open and welcoming. I remember being really nervous to come out to people on Lusternia, being well aware that most of them were older than me, and expecting most, if not all, to refuse to or be unable to understand or accept my gender identity, much less gender me appropriately, even though Esei (at the time) was unable to be non-binary.
    3. There's way too many, but... if I had to pick? All the ones with Lief, or the ones with Nocht.
    4. Gurashi.
    5. I legitimately don't remember. Probably something, though!

pronouns: they/them
  • Haven't bumped this in awhile! Forgive any repeats, but below is inspired by recent Discord conversations:
    1. Poof, Ascension still works like it did for Ayridion! When your character ascends and becomes a proper Vernal Divine, what are they like?
    2. Who would you cast as a voice actor for your character?
    3. What would your character's "fall from grace" story arc be? If you're already a nefarious villain, what would your "redemption" arc look like?
    4. What's your favorite lore "conspiracy theory" you have, or personal headcanon?
    5. What is your favorite god relationship? (Can be romantic, friendship, rivalry, random ridiculous pairing -- whatever!)
    Avatar by Sam Smith. You can follow her on Twitter here.
  • edited June 2021

Poof, Ascension still works like it did for Ayridion! When your character ascends and becomes a proper Vernal Divine, what are they like?
    Oh geeze. Not entirely sure, but probably something suitably wyrden (whatever that would entail). Most likely some sort of trickster, though.
    Edit: they also would probably not have an order, or anything. Still incredibly devoted to the Wyrd, and this is just one 'step' up to spread the Wyrd's glory, see?

Who would you cast as a voice actor for your character?
    Tom Hiddleston for masc Esei, Sophie Turner for fem Esei, most likely.

What would your character's "fall from grace" story arc be? If you're already a nefarious villain, what would your "redemption" arc look like?
    This is genuinely hard to envision for me, just because Esei embraces a lot of the 'darkness' that exists in me IRL. If those 'dark' parts of me were suddenly gone, I wouldn't really be 'me' anymore. But, if they absolutely had to, they'd probably get affected with ~morals~ and be dragged kicking and screaming (and crying) out of Glomdoring.
    Alternatively, as a sadder version, in the cast of Glomdoring's sudden combustion: being lost in a fugue for months/years before being pulled by whatever closest ties they have left. (Which makes me wonder about the Shee-Slaugh if that ever happened...)

What's your favorite lore "conspiracy theory" you have, or personal headcanon?
    Joke answer, either that Mysrai is made of bees, or that Darvellan is actually a Goloth in a lucidian racehat disguised as an Elder who is working with the Goloths.
    Serious answer, probably that Wyrden Maylea will happen at some point, even as a 'fake gods' plot line a la Xynthin.

What is your favorite god relationship? (Can be romantic, friendship, rivalry, random ridiculous pairing -- whatever!)
    Joke answer, Terentia/Viravain, aka Warcrimes.
    Serious answer, whatever the hell Nocht and Viravain have going on.

pronouns: they/them
  • Lantra said:
    Haven't bumped this in awhile! Forgive any repeats, but below is inspired by recent Discord conversations:
    1. Poof, Ascension still works like it did for Ayridion! When your character ascends and becomes a proper Vernal Divine, what are they like?
    3. What would your character's "fall from grace" story arc be? If you're already a nefarious villain, what would your "redemption" arc look like?
    4. What's your favorite lore "conspiracy theory" you have, or personal headcanon?
    5. What is your favorite god relationship? (Can be romantic, friendship, rivalry, random ridiculous pairing -- whatever!)
    1. I like something like the Kiakoda concept, a dissolution of self leading to existence as a spirit entwined with the wilde. A being of instinct that manifests avatars that engage in the cycles of nature, not quite on the level of the White Hart being connected to deer but like... playing the role of a deer, or a wolf, or hare. Perhaps one fragment spends time growing as a tree, etc.

2. Maybe Peter Capaldi but with a lighter accent.

3. Giving up on Nature basically. Losing the hope that Serenwilde can succeed leading to depression and apathy that it doesn't really matter so why not have some fun with X before the world burns.

4. Related to recent Seren things. Basala'oren Seren has been used all around the forest as a greeting, rallying cry, etc but the translation (awaken the shelter) doesn't always... make sense in those contexts. But since the vibrant spirit and particularly with what's just happened, my headcanon is that its a subconscious memory of past lives that we've latched onto because we're telling ourselves what we need to do.

5. I kinda liked the ending of Lisaera and Charune because it was just like "it was a thing, now it's over, and that's okay"
  • Terentia said:

(Whatever it is I didn't do it I swear)

• Xiran said:
    1. I wanna see Lisaera and Carakhan interaction (Moon and Ocean forces!), with Terentia commentary. 

(Just kidding! I would be glad to add commentary  ;) )
    Forum avatar by @Gurashi!
  • Lantra said:
    Haven't bumped this in awhile! Forgive any repeats, but below is inspired by recent Discord conversations:
      Lean into the Prince of Frost vibes. Death to all autonomous agents so that Wyrd/Nature can continue uninterrupted, maybe some Soulless sympathy.
      Mark Hamill. Ability to flip from normal or chill vibes to maniacal on a dime.
      Synl would fall by being somehow sealed/resurrected in a suit of armor in service to Thax. Maybe trying to reestablish his soul by studying Necromancy, maybe trying to reestablish autonomy by studying Nihilism.
      Vira can't float outside of Wyrd, she has to walk and doing so only reminds her of how much she hates everything not-Wyrd.
      I don't interact with divine enough to have a favorite. I'd love to know more about how Manteekan fit into Glomdoring pantheon, seeing as how he's allowed to have an order and everything in an org where he's technically a prisoner?

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Lantra said:
    1. As a character, Eri has enough disdain for the gods that he would never want to become one, so pass!

2. Tilda Swinton

3. Eri has already fallen from grace after some fashion plenty of times :tongue:

4. Ashtariel is still alive in Iklara, and Zvoltz's unwillingness to admit it or work to free Her speaks to some great evils of His that She would otherwise reveal.

5. I've always had a soft spot for the siblingness of Shikari and Viravain, but the tension between Kalikai and Terentia gets me all aflutter.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."