UK meet!

edited March 2014 in Meet and Greet
So, UK meets have failed to happen in the past. It may take an Aussie to get you poms into action.

I'm in the UK between mid-April (~12th) to mid-May (~12th). 

Two questions:
  1. North, south, east, west -- which city suits you best (and which are 'possible' for you)?
  2. What days (probably weekends) in that time period work for you?
I wish to meet you alllllll! I will bring vegemite! No really, I will bring tiny gifts, sweet ones, not savoury. Please meet me ;_;

Comments

• TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    With sufficient enough notice I'm willing to travel anywhere - basically if it's far enough in advance that I can get a really cheap train  ticket.

I'm busy the first two weekends that you're here/I'm back, but am free the 26th/27th, the 3rd/4th (these are the best days for me since they're -after- my essay deadline!) and the 10th. I can also do weekdays depending on work.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I've a christening during May but other than that I'm free pretty much whenever.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Now, I really want to come over. It's in the main phase of my thesis since the deadline is around the 20th May, but a weekend in the UK will certainly serve as a good motivation :)

Date-wise, I would like May better because till then, I'll hopefully be almost finished. I do not have a preferred city though somewhere near an airport would be nice.
  • London please, so I can take the Eurostar. Friday to Sunday would work for me. No date preference, though if May there is more chance the tickets are cheaper and the weather is better. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Bit too swamped to make the trip over. Enjoy and hope it goes well!
  • I can be there, preferably towards the south, but I'm nothing if not flexible! I can't do 18th-21st April, and May 9th-11th, but most other points (I think) are good.
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
    edited March 2014
    Small update: I'm unavailable the first Sunday in May, everything else I'm good.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Rialorm said:
    London please, so I can take the Eurostar. Friday to Sunday would work for me. No date preference, though if May there is more chance the tickets are cheaper and the weather is better. 
    Yeah, London would be nice. I found a bus company that drives from Cologne (how I'll get there is another story) to Victoria Coach Station for around 50€ including return. 
  • I would be absolutely -terrified- of attending a meet, and yet at the same time I really want to.
  • So I'm hearing London.

April Fri 25 - Sun 27 works for Taci, Mork, Laysus, maybe Aerdiya, maybe Rialorm, maybe Chade (guys, can you confirm?)
    May Fri 9 - Sun 11 works for Taci, Mork, Aerdiya, Rialorm, Chade... not Laysus (is that 100% Laysus?)

First weekend I'm there doesn't seem good, first weekend of May seems iffy, too.

Any other lurkers out there?
  • Khydan said:
    I would be absolutely -terrified- of attending a meet, and yet at the same time I really want to.
    It'll be totally fine! I'm terrified of interacting with most people in the game, let alone in real life ;) I'm sure after a few drinks we'll be the best of friends.

Coooooome!
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I'm not free on the evening of the 11th but that's not a huge problem. If it's in London then it's even easier for me :)
  • Svorai said:
    So I'm hearing London.

April Fri 25 - Sun 27 works for Taci, Mork, Laysus, maybe Aerdiya, maybe Rialorm, maybe Chade (guys, can you confirm?)
    May Fri 9 - Sun 11 works for Taci, Mork, Aerdiya, Rialorm, Chade... not Laysus (is that 100% Laysus?)

First weekend I'm there doesn't seem good, first weekend of May seems iffy, too.

I checked, the first date I actually can't unless I move what I have scheduled for that day, but would need to know real soon. The second date works for sure.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • edited March 2014
    I could probably make both dates, though the second one would definitely be better. But don't hinge it on me. I still need to see how my papers and thesis will be, until I finally know if I can go. On the bright side, I found a flight including return for 40€,,,,downside, it's with Ryanair and my parents don't allow me to fly with them (even though I am the one paying...).
    Ryanair are fine, just don't get suckered into any extras and live out of a backpack for a weekend.

I've used them a couple of times, cheap? Yes, but they get you from A-B.

• Confirming Ryanair are great, not sure why your parents are objecting. They are cheap not because they skimp on security but because they are smart. They fly from low-cost airports, they strip the frivolities out of flights, they don't do elaborate customer service and so on. Basically all that extra stuff that 90% of people can do without gets scrapped in favor of attracting loads of people by making it affordable for them to fly and thus tapping into a pool that otherwise wouldn't be one. It's really quite clever and it is a technique used in other industries as well (ultra-cheap phone carriers for example). Basically, people are dumb, and the big airlines exploit that by charging people huge amounts and everyone thinks it should cost that much. 

Also, statistically, you are far likely to die on a bus than on a plane. Just saying ;)
    And they rip you off with shit tons of duty free jewellery on their flights, that's how they make the money.

• Yeah, they're like 'Oh, it can't be safe if it's so cheap.' But it would be perfect for me. 42€ with return sounds like a bargain. I only have to find out how big the backpacks for hand luggage can be. 
    You get like a 10kg weight limit, and it has to fit inside a box of certain dimensions, tbh most backpacks fit, I've a giant alienware one from my old 19inch laptop that fits in comfortably.

As long as you're not carrying anything excessively bulky, you should be good.

• edited March 2014
    I've got a big Jack Wolfskin hiking backpack. Though maybe, I can try to squeeze it into the box and only take light stuff with me. I gotta stock up my UK food shelf. Ran out of Horlicks and instant gravy... 
  • I'm up in northern Spain, I could totally fly over to London for a meet.  I'd just need some warning in order to buy tickets in advance and save the moneys.  Also, I'd need somewhere to crash (maybe couchsurfing can cover that).

Also -- Ushaaraaaaa cooooome
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Will mull it over bit more maybe. Definitive date would help decide.

Just keep in mind with Ryanair that their airports are a bit more awkward to get to/from than Heathrow. If the difference between flying Ryanair or a more expensive alternate airline that lands into Heathrow is ~30 quid, I'd say go for Heathrow for the convenience of just hopping straight onto the Tube. There is a shuttle bus of course from the other airports, but making it to your early morning pickup point with a pounding head on the return leg can be harrowing!
  • edited March 2014
    Svorai said:
    So I'm hearing London.

Can confirm, can definitely do the weekend of the 25th-27th april, can 100% absolutely solidly completely totally definitely not do the 9th-11th, going to be off LARPing. 
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • edited March 2014
    Hokay, people. 

May 9th-11th is a go (and potentially some days before or after that to catch those who can't be there that weekend).

I haven't booked my accommodation or anything, but I'm committing to being in London on those dates. 

Anyone who can make it, please do! I really want to meet as many as possible of you. Even if I've never interacted with you in the game before -- I'm sure we will at one point! And I'm nice, I promise. At least in real life. >.>

If people are coming in from different cities (or countries!), please let me know. We might try to stay close by, or maybe book out a multi-room apartment?
  • I'm not making any promises, but I may make an appearance from the 9th-11th May in London.

(Time to convince my parents it's ok, you're not craycray, and that it's not as far as Texas)
  • Awesome, I'll definitely be in London that weekend as I'm running the Ealing 10k on Sunday 11th. Will be getting in lateish on the 9th.
  • Anita said:
    I'm not making any promises, but I may make an appearance from the 9th-11th May in London.

(Time to convince my parents it's ok, you're not craycray, and that it's not as far as Texas)
    Tell them that I'll be there. I have a calming effect on parents :) When I was in high school, my friends' parents usually went like "Oh, if Aerdiya (not my real name of course) is there, you can go as well."

Hmm...a 10k sounds nice. If I manage to get my spring training done, I might try that as well. Is it still open for applications?
  • They said yes.
  • We are going to have SO much fun! 

We're making plans off this board. Send me a PM if you are interested in joining in our share accommodation -- looks like we'll be staying out of the city itself.
    Wait wait, so Sunday's entertainment is standing at the side of a road yelling motivational crap at Chade?

Awesome.