Simple Ideas

Comments

• I think critique visibility is at the whim of the gods at present, looking at Poisoned Waters. Or maybe just the first one is always eaten? I dunno. I do like the idea of a special critiqued marker though.
  • Arcanis said:
    Everiine said:
    Kalnid said:
    (Viscanti don't have a language)
    Really? Oops... and I can't think of what race primarily occupied Magnagora before the Fall.
    As to which race occupied Magnagora, I cant say for certain, but we can eliminate several. Aslaran and Krokani are showed to have lived around the moors even during the Taint wars time. Loboshigaru was said to have lived as nomadic tribes, so they're out too. Dwarves lived in the dwarven kingdoms. Igasho were said to live up in the mountains and rarely seen. Taurian were said to generally avoid groups, such as in cities, and also lived on plains. Elfen, Furrikin and Tae'dae had forests, Dracnari had Gaudiguch, Merian had celest, Lucidian & Trill in Hallifax.

That leaves Orclach and Mugwumps. Orclach were mostly associated with the Ur'guard that were the vanguard of the Empire, but they never mentioned where exactly they were stationed. I suppose we could say Shallach. Mugwumps are the most likely guess i'd say, since they were living in Balach before the soulforge experiment went crazy. I'd have to say Magnagora most likely had a large population of them and orclachs, and a diversity of everything else.
    :-?
  • Further about rejected books, it seems as the editor I could edit it before it was unsealed again. That seems off too? I'm not sure if it is a bug or if I misunderstood it, but I had to read the critique help scroll before I found out I should have actually first unsealed it, then made the edits, and then sealed it again so it goes back to publishing. If it's a bug I will report that, if not then maybe that could be made more intuitive so future newbie librarians like me know what to do instantly?
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Rialorm said:
    Further about rejected books, it seems as the editor I could edit it before it was unsealed again. That seems off too? I'm not sure if it is a bug or if I misunderstood it, but I had to read the critique help scroll before I found out I should have actually first unsealed it, then made the edits, and then sealed it again so it goes back to publishing. If it's a bug I will report that, if not then maybe that could be made more intuitive so future newbie librarians like me know what to do instantly?
    I feel bad (Sometimes) that for Culture Minister, my job to submit is to watch plays, eat popcorn and have fun, then choose the one I think is the best, while the Librarians have to go through all this.

Sometimes.
    Retired.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie

Rialorm said:
    Further about rejected books, it seems as the editor I could edit it before it was unsealed again. That seems off too? I'm not sure if it is a bug or if I misunderstood it, but I had to read the critique help scroll before I found out I should have actually first unsealed it, then made the edits, and then sealed it again so it goes back to publishing. If it's a bug I will report that, if not then maybe that could be made more intuitive so future newbie librarians like me know what to do instantly?
    My working hypothesis for this is that getting rejected automatically unseals the book. This might be wrong, and it could very well be a bug. The library documentation isn't that great and the whole system is basically black magic, so it's hard to tell if some things are bugs or features.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Yeah, the Magnagoran population was mostly mugwumps and orclach, then Other Stuff(TM) before the Taint.

• :-? :-? :-?

That's all I'm going to say! The clues are out there.
  • But there isn't any logic that I can see that makes it so anything other than - ahhghg, this is the wrong thread for this nonsense.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Having never actually played in Magnagora, I'd like to suggest that it had a respectable trill population. The viscanti race description mentions trill specifically as a source of winged viscanti, which seriously implies that there were at least some trill in Magnagora back then. Beyond that, it provides an explanation for viscanti not having their own language. Faelings inherited a racial language from the elfen, despite being a hybrid race. It'd be reasonable to presume that the viscanti could inherit a language from their progenitors the same way, but they didn't. This is odd, unless the languageless trill were the major contributors to the viscanti bloodline. There's also a nonnative source of trill to the viscanti population in any survivors from the research team sent by Hallifax to examine the taint (Chronicles of the Holy Celestine Empire, Part 5.)

Plus, @Drocilla seems to have ruled out any of the really likely ones, which forces us to go for the weirder ideas.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Portius said:
    Having never actually played in Magnagora, I'd like to suggest that it had a respectable trill population. The viscanti race description mentions trill specifically as a source of winged viscanti, which seriously implies that there were at least some trill in Magnagora back then. Beyond that, it provides an explanation for viscanti not having their own language. Faelings inherited a racial language from the elfen, despite being a hybrid race. It'd be reasonable to presume that the viscanti could inherit a language from their progenitors the same way, but they didn't. This is odd, unless the languageless trill were the major contributors to the viscanti bloodline. There's also a nonnative source of trill to the viscanti population in any survivors from the research team sent by Hallifax to examine the taint (Chronicles of the Holy Celestine Empire, Part 5.)

Plus, @Drocilla seems to have ruled out any of the really likely ones, which forces us to go for the weirder ideas.
    Trill and elfen are both mentioned.

Through years of interbreeding, they have become recognized as a race unto themselves. Generally, they are of a demonic appearance though some viscanti retain vestigial characteristics of other races, such as wings of trills (though bat-like and ineffective for flying) or pointed ears of the elfen.
  • Oh, my comment is not a ruling out of any of the mentioned theories, rather I am suggesting there is more to it and everyone thus far is a little bit correct. But @Marcella is right in pointing out that this isn't the correct thread for this discussion, neither is any other really because it makes for an awesome research prokject IG! /hinthint /truthisoutthere
  • Make the Great Rune of Enchantment attachable to all things that can be enchanted (for instance, scrolls).
  • Also, can we make scrubbing a bit more efficient when it comes to stinking? Having to scrub 20 times before cleaning up is... yeah.
  • I bought the soap more for its one-time-stink-buster effect than for its combat advantages, I think.

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    I am reviving @Akyaevin 's suggestion/idea. Could we get a hug thing for comments, alongside like and agree? We need a hug.
  • edited November 2014

^ Example of the above is why my previous hope for an aethercraft ability that would negate the spawning of aetherbeasts, in sacrifice for speed, was suggested. It would be used by pilots going through tight squeezes or reaching their destination (such as a trade ship) where they may hover peacefully.
  • you can't outrun that?
  • edited November 2014
    I ran through that kind of stuff all the time when mapping aetherspace... It shouldn't be that hard.

EDIT: And if they do hit you, just dock up and regenerate the modules before launching again.
  • edited November 2014
    Daganev said:
    you can't outrun that?
    I can, but having to shake them, or being in a panic state when I have alot of turns and afraid to do a wrong command, shouldnt have to exist imo. Why does a pilot have to try and move around with silent-run to push beasts away from their hover location or ship trade (note with ship trading, the pilot will generally have to move a few more times as the gnome ship randomly does, meaning more chances of spawn), when the entire problem could be negated with a simple function?
  • Yeah, well, I'd prefer it if there was a toggle that made it impossible for people to attack me, but there isn't.
  • Ah you can't fast travel cause the destination keeps shifting?
    Was asking mainly because of what I was reading that it's "easy to outrun" aetherbeasts.

Sounds like something the cloaking feature should do, no?
  • Ssaliss said:
    Yeah, well, I'd prefer it if there was a toggle that made it impossible for people to attack me, but there isn't.
    That...doesnt even correspond to the suggestion. I didnt ask for a permanent cloak to beasts (which frankly forcefield already doesnt more than enough), I asked for a mechanic that would allow a pilot that is about to reach their destination to negate spawn so they can actually stand at their destination without having to do loop-de-loops to shake the newly spawned beast off. If you dont like the idea, you can say so, no need to be passive aggressive.

Daganev said:
    Ah you can't fast travel cause the destination keeps shifting?
    Was asking mainly because of what I was reading that it's "easy to outrun" aetherbeasts.

Sounds like something the cloaking feature should do, no?

I wouldnt mind if the cloaking feature did so. It currently costs 500 credits to buy a cloaking cube as is, so I can see it being added there.
  • Arcanis said:
    Ssaliss said:
    Yeah, well, I'd prefer it if there was a toggle that made it impossible for people to attack me, but there isn't.
    That...doesnt even correspond to the suggestion. I didnt ask for a permanent cloak to beasts (which frankly forcefield already doesnt more than enough), I asked for a mechanic that would allow a pilot that is about to reach their destination to negate spawn so they can actually stand at their destination without having to do loop-de-loops to shake the newly spawned beast off. If you dont like the idea, you can say so, no need to be passive aggressive.

Actually, it kinda does. You want a feature that removes all the dangers of traversing aetherspace. I'd like a feature that removes all the dangers of walking around on Prime. Beasts are a part of aetherspace; that's just the way it is, just like aggro stuff and the dangers of being jumped is part of walking around normally. We already have an excellent defense against them in the shape of forcefields (which didn't even exist when aetherspace was created); that's more than enough to fly around in most situations, and in the rest of the situations, well, perhaps you simply shouldn't do those alone.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Arcanis said:
    Ssaliss said:

Actually, it kinda does. You want a feature that removes all the dangers of traversing aetherspace. I'd like a feature that removes all the dangers of walking around on Prime. Beasts are a part of aetherspace; that's just the way it is, just like aggro stuff and the dangers of being jumped is part of walking around normally. We already have an excellent defense against them in the shape of forcefields (which didn't even exist when aetherspace was created); that's more than enough to fly around in most situations, and in the rest of the situations, well, perhaps you simply shouldn't do those alone.

I dont wish to negate the feature of aetherbeasts in aether travel, if anything utilizing my suggestion of a cloak mechanism would make it agonizing to try and transverse large spaces with the cloak up. My suggestion is to allow pilots to place a negating effect to spawn when they are about to reach their destination -or- to hover in a certain space. My idea of the cloak is for the end-result of aethercrafting, not for the entire journey.
  • invoke serpent doesn't work anymore?
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I'm with @Ssaliss‌, this isn't needed. There isn't a situation out there where you can't outrun aetherbeasts easily, even in tight passages.

This seems like another "I don't want to figure it out, so give me another option" idea

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Aetherbeasts won't chase you if they don't have Line of Sight, so you can get away from the ones in your example with just a couple of moves.

Also: Instead of using commands, map your numpad to do pilot steer when you're piloting a ship.  Then you can move around much more easily.  Don't even need to enter the command, just press a single button and you're away from the beasties.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    And you can already 'hover' in one space without ever spawning anything.

???
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Can... can...

...can goat beasts have their targetting changed to 'wargoat' rather than 'goat'?