Simple Ideas

Comments

• Being able to do KATA STUDY BLAH X-Y to make forms with multiple levels with a single command would be nice. If you can already, then I'm a derp.
  • Mamoru said:
    Being able to do KATA STUDY BLAH X-Y to make forms with multiple levels with a single command would be nice. If you can already, then I'm a derp.
    Think I've suggested something similar in the past. Still not possible. You could alias it though if you are making a lot of forms at once.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Two family related ideas please.

1, Can we have it so family members in ministerial positions also gain honour, similar to elected positions? They are all important jobs which require trust.

2, Can we have some process in family honour where we can message divine, or contact them in an IC manner, to put special mentions/honour gains on family logs? For example, Haezon is of the Nightshade family, which is cultured, and geared towards culture.

Haezon has also just held a contest for the entire commune which generated a lot of interest, power, and activity. It would be nice to have it recognised, even if it's not a major grab, in the logs and help give more points. It would obviously be judged by the Family's Patron, or something, on what exactly is deserving, or even if it's not, but the possibility being there will, I'm sure, inspire a lot of others. Blood families could gain extra honour for winning arena fights or hosting them, and lettered houses could ask for recognition from book related events or accomplishments.
    Retired.
  • Iytha said:
    Please no for the first one. It will only lead to people wanting to stack unqualified family members in ministry slots.

Arent you being a little pessimistic?
    Retired.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Haezon said:
    Iytha said:
    Please no for the first one. It will only lead to people wanting to stack unqualified family members in ministry slots.

She's being quite realistic. Seconded on the no.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Elanorwen said:
    Haezon said:
    Iytha said:

Sadly so. The running gag of people grabbing positions for family honour and promptly vanishing from the game for most of the time has its roots somewhere. Seen it happen in all orgs. Drawback of the system. Then again I think even without family rewards it would still happen.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Elanorwen said:
    Haezon said:
    Iytha said:

Those methods are because of people's incompetence. If you think your organisation is so terrible it is that easy for people to take advantage of, maybe you should try making it better, instead of giving up in the face of these people, not to mention that there is hardly a difference between ministerial positions and elected positions in this regard. Ruling councils decide on ministers, so either you trust yours or you don't to make the right one.

I think it's a good idea, because it will help build up various family's honour, and they are important positions to be held. Trust is required, especially in positions like Steward and trade. If you can be trusted to handle the money of an entire organisation, or some other aspect of it, you deserve to have some of that recognition and achievement reflected in your family honour, which the system is meant to be about.
    Retired.
  • Haezon said:
    Iytha said:

Any great family worthy of being called a great family will engage in nepotism.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing though.
  • So now that we have a gaggle of new colours, could it be possible to make the prompt make use of them to more gradually change from green to yellow to red? Or would that be annoying for bashers?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I hold two ministry positions. If you want to throw more family honour my way....

Honestly there are other things I'd rather see earn honour first - like having books and plays published is worth no honour unless you win prestige. More work goes in to those than into being treasurer, I promise you.

• edited November 2014
    EDIT: Wrong thread! Sorry!
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited November 2014
    Lavinya said:
    I hold two ministry positions. If you want to throw more family honour my way....

Honestly there are other things I'd rather see earn honour first - like having books and plays published is worth no honour unless you win prestige. More work goes in to those than into being treasurer, I promise you.

Publishing a book does give honour, actually. There's no mention of it in the help files, but it shows up in the family's logs. Pretty sure that plays don't give honor without a prestige win, though. Kind of an odd disparity.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Portius said:
    Lavinya said:

Publishing a book does give honour, actually. There's no mention of it in the help files, but it shows up in the family's logs. Pretty sure that plays don't give honor without a prestige win, though. Kind of an odd disparity.
    Well not really because Library submissions and stage submissions are different. If a book is accepted, that is good. Multiple can be submitted in one year. However, the stage allows only 1 play to be submitted every other year. And if the play is submitted, but doesn't win, then it just means the Divine watched it, which isn't exactly something stellar.

Since the Minister decides which play gets submitted and watched, now that is an easy system to abuse (Not that I ever have. Nope). :-\"

TL;DR, stage does less work than the library when stuff is submitted.
    Retired.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited November 2014
    Not exactly. There's no admin oversight on plays. They only watch plays if they want to and they don't determine the prestige winners. A set of arcane formulas crunch the numbers you see in BACKSTAGE STATUS to determine the winner from among a given year's prestige submissions. Sorry @Haezon. You're not forcing any admins to watch your plays just by submitting them for prestige. That lack of oversight is probably why there's no family honor associated with just recording a play, @Portius. It's tantamount to archiving a book. 

But plays submitted for prestige do become publicly accessible just like published books. I don't see a problem with families getting a small honor boost for prestige submission, and a larger one for a win. I don't know if it's already the case, but I should hope the families of all the cast and crew get some of the honor.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Hmm well...I have never received family honour for the (yes it's only one, I am bad at finishing my books) scroll I see in the library that's listed as published. Do books submitted for prestige receive family honour, then? I know prestige winners get a great honour bonus.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    You got honor from publishing books and winning prestige, but not for having a book submitted for prestige.

@Daraius I thought that when you recorded any play, you got culture points under stage activity as a function of how many people were viewing it? That'd make recording analogous to publishing for scoring, except that the admin never have to check over stage things.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • It would be too easy to just have the family sit around the stage recording and then throwing away as many fake plays full of nonsense as you like to gain as much honor as you had time to grind if that was enough. But submitting it to the World Stage is analogous to publishing in that at least now there's a record, and if you're overtly gaming the system by recording Ren and Stimpy monologues all day, people have the chance to catch you at it. It's analogous to how you can bookbind and write fifty thousand scrolls with the lyrics of "Call Me Maybe" on them and get nothing, but once you publish you get something, because once you publish, other players (and not just your own family) has some chance to catch you at it.

(I do wish family honor for writing and theater hadn't been implemented just after the last of the Starfalls went dormant, though. The legacy of the family didn't cease to exist. Ah, well, suppose no one still around cares.)
  • Haezon said:
    Those methods are because of people's incompetence. If you think your organisation is so terrible it is that easy for people to take advantage of, maybe you should try making it better, instead of giving up in the face of these people, not to mention that there is hardly a difference between ministerial positions and elected positions in this regard. Ruling councils decide on ministers, so either you trust yours or you don't to make the right one.
    Being a Guildmaster is an elected position and requires exclusively social skills like leadership, delegation and good listening. Your job there is to represent your guild and to aggregate their wishes into some sort of organizational policy. The sole qualification for being Guildmaster is that your guild agree that you properly represent their wishes. Being GM doesn't require technical skills like being able to navigate the power logs, knowing how the culture system works, critiquing or your city's shop tax law. All is requires is that they know what people want and be active enough to make votes on time.

Being a Minister does require technical skills. Even if a minister knows what is expected of them and have every intention of completing their duties, the process of doing so is more complicated than simply entering a vote. There's potential for error, for the minister not to be able to complete their duties in a way that there isn't for leadership positions. This works itself out since Minister is an appointed position and the leadership can just pick whoever is most skilled. If you make it a family consideration instead, it effectively becomes an elected office: You vote for what family you has best collection of potential ministers. And that would be awful, because none of those potential ministers are on the ballots.
  • edited November 2014
    I don't mean to do it like that (Do not bring families into it at all), but then that means if you are elected as a Minister you are deserving of some honour, if not more, than an elected position. I can see what you mean, and that's some interesting insight into the whole politics process I will remember for later. However, it still sounds to me like being a Minister deserves to be recognised.

Now, I'm not saying just being appointed as one gives a major boost, but every year/month there is a little bit contributed. This person is in their position, they must be doing something right. Even if they are a default selection, it is available to the other court members to temporarily take it over.
    Retired.
  • So families that monopoly a city will, in theory, get a huuuuge boost?
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I don't like the idea, because then it discourages giving newer members a chance to get in, when a family can just stick a trusted, been around awhile, not likely to disappear, member a ministry position for the honour boost rather than some up and coming guy that could use the responsibility to help build his credibility etc within an org. 

Some ministries (Power ministry notably here) are really good to help some lesser known people feel more involved and important, generating better feels and stuff to stick around and help an org charge on.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited November 2014
    Synkarin said:
    I don't like the idea, because then it discourages giving newer members a chance to get in, when a family can just stick a trusted, been around awhile, not likely to disappear, member a ministry position for the honour boost rather than some up and coming guy that could use the responsibility to help build his credibility etc within an org. 

Some ministries (Power ministry notably here) are really good to help some lesser known people feel more involved and important, generating better feels and stuff to stick around and help an org charge on.
    What you are describing here, is exactly how large famous families operate in the real world!  I'm not seeing the downside...  (The goal would be for families to try to attract the up and coming young people)
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    but in the Real World, you don't really have a choice as to who your family is, and in Lusternia, you very much do. 

Families are already trying to attract up and coming young people, (some take anything that walks through the portal) so there's no change in that goal. 

What it does do is detriment those that choose not to join the 'family in charge' rather than give them a chance to still participate. There's already going to be a nepotism component when it comes to Ministry positions anyway, this change will just make anyone not in the family have no chance. Basically just increasing the 'gaming' portion of what people are complaining about. 

Of course, this is all assuming that a single family (or banner family group) is in control of a city.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited November 2014
    I literally am begging for this ability:

The ability to glance up or down a mountain-side, but showing all the rooms up or down (squint would be optimal here but it doesnt show what exits are in the room, which is important for hidden entrances in mountains). Please dont make us have to climb each mountain room 7 times trying to find the entrance to hidden areas as painful as it is. Just please, the ability to MOUNTAIN GLANCE UP/DOWN added to mountaineering. Please *weep*.

• edited November 2014
    Could we also somehow gain the ability to see the different 'keywords' that a mob can be targetted/interacted with? Im wondering if perhaps with the Analyze or Probe ability, we can get a note below stating:

He/She can be interacted with by: - Human, Man, Villager, etc.

Reason why I ask this is because sometimes with hunting, it isnt very clear what an easy key term can be. For example, the eaf'(whatevers), if someone was to try and hunt there, they would find several different types. By probing, perhaps they can see (Can be interacted with by: Eaf, mutation, etc.).

Let's say some new guy is, quite unfortunately, attempting to raid nil. Rather then thinking to target each demon with imp, fiend, etc,, they could see they can target them all with Demon.

Just a thought.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Arcanis said:
    Could we also somehow gain the ability to see the different 'keywords' that a mob can be targetted/interacted with? Im wondering if perhaps with the Analyze or Probe ability, we can get a note below stating:

Reason why I ask this is because sometimes with hunting, it isnt very clear what an easy key term can be. For example, the eaf'(whatevers), if someone was to try and hunt there, they would find several different types. By probing, perhaps they can see (Can be interacted with by: Eaf, mutation, etc.).

Let's say some new guy is, quite unfortunately, attempting to raid nil. Rather then thinking to target each demon with imp, fiend, etc,, they could see they can target them all with Demon.

Just a thought.
    Adding to this, I'd love for the creatures on Elemental Planes to be targettable with a single noun, even if it's airbeast, firemob, earththing, whatever.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Arcanis said:

Just a thought.
    Adding to this, I'd love for the creatures on Elemental Planes to be targettable with a single noun, even if it's airbeast, firemob, earththing, whatever.
    That's exactly why I wrote a bit of code to target stuff automatically. Add it to my target list, set my target to auto, and slaughter everything.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited November 2014
    Suggested by Tyskel,

I think some brief summary help scrolls for all of the Nine Vernals wouldn't be amiss.

HELP URLACH, HELP D'VARSHA, HELP VESTERA etc.

• Maligorn said:
    Suggested by Tyskel,

I think some brief summary help scrolls for all of the Nine Vernals wouldn't be amiss.

HELP URLACH, HELP D'VARSHA, HELP VESTERA etc.
    I rather like this. Admittedly the website does already speak of each, but I wouldnt mind some 'in-game references and scrolls' that we can have.