Simple Ideas

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    ITEMLIST INVENTORY.
  • Ooh, didn't know about that one. Or rather, didn't think about it, since I use ITEMLIST all the time.

I just wish it were expanded to fit our preferredwidth though, but eh, lots of things are like that.
  • Synkarin said:
    The tempest brooch allows you to fly in high winds, with a longer balance time. Anyway, I think weather slowdown effects are pretty dumb and would love more ways to overcome them. Especially wind. It doesn't really help shamans, so very little combat impact, and really just a general pain in the ass
    Instead of just adding things to counter the effects, the effects themselves should be downtweaked some. It doesn't happen all the time, but I wonder if bad weather as a novice on the first day drives anyone away.
  • Steingrim said:
    Synkarin said:
    The tempest brooch allows you to fly in high winds, with a longer balance time. Anyway, I think weather slowdown effects are pretty dumb and would love more ways to overcome them. Especially wind. It doesn't really help shamans, so very little combat impact, and really just a general pain in the ass
    Instead of just adding things to counter the effects, the effects themselves should be downtweaked some. It doesn't happen all the time, but I wonder if bad weather as a novice on the first day drives anyone away.
    I recall my first time around and my confusion at why one room is flooded, then another had a forest, then another was aflame. It generally bugged me.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Arcanis said:
    Steingrim said:
    Synkarin said:
    I recall my first time around and my confusion at why one room is flooded, then another had a forest, then another was aflame. It generally bugged me.
    Just mage newbs playing with terrain in Newton.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Newton caverns have effectively no weather (it's always mild, not windy, and not rainstorming), iirc. 

That wasn't always the case, but it was changed after I pointed out that they shared the peak's system and all the problems that implied. Home orgs can have weather, but it's usually not terribly bad, afaik. Serenwilde might have the worst of it with possible fog and snowstorms.
  • Eh. Glom can have winds that puts you at 90% slower. That and snowstorms.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited December 2014
    @Estarra, Some sort of canine-themed marionette!
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Rivius said:
    Some sort of canine-themed marionette
    Foxhound Marionette

For the royalty to go foxhunting with. Yep.
  • Arcanis said:
    Steingrim said:
    Synkarin said:
    My first character was Seren. I thought that every forested room was an Ethereal rift (because, y'know, ethereal forest).
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I think it's been mentioned before maybe, but anyway -

allow sentient pets, dwellers, marionettes and anything else use targeted emotes please! It makes me weep on the inside when I'm rping with my dweller and I get ^person thrown into it because I forget.

Lavinya said:
    I think it's been mentioned before maybe, but anyway -

allow sentient pets, dwellers, marionettes and anything else use targeted emotes please! It makes me weep on the inside when I'm rping with my dweller and I get ^person thrown into it because I forget.

Just mentioned this in the marionettes thread. Yes please!
  • Let stoles use emoticons
    The playa you love to hate
  • May have been suggested before, but the option for shopkeepers to get a message when taxes are added or maybe have been outstanding for a while?
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Rialorm said:
    May have been suggested before, but the option for shopkeepers to get a message when taxes are added or maybe have been outstanding for a while?
    Perhaps the system could just message the shopowner.
    Make DATE (lusternia date) say that the time given is in GMT and have it show the date in local time as well, so long as you've config'd the local time to something other than GMT.
  • It already does.

(<-_(^)_->)time
    Dusk has overtaken the light in Lusternia.
    The phase of the moon is the First Quarter.

In your world, it is 2014/12/05 19:29:15 GMT and 2014/12/05 13:29:15 in your configured timezone.
    See HELP GMT for an explanation of GMT.
    (<-_(^)_->)date
    Today is the 20th of Juliary, 399 years after the Coming of Estarra. The phase of the moon is the First 
    Quarter.

In your world it is Friday, the 5th of December, in the year 2014 GMT, and Friday, the 5th of December, in the 
    year 2014 in your local timezone.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    edited December 2014
    Not the specific DATE commands, no they don't. I thought they did, because it doesn't make any sense for them not to, but I was evidently wrong.

date 24 juliary 399
     Lusternian date 24 Juliary, year 399 at midnight would be 12/5/2014 at 23:00
  • Ahah.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Rialorm said:
    May have been suggested before, but the option for shopkeepers to get a message when taxes are added or maybe have been outstanding for a while?
    Aren't taxes added every 1 Estar, and they're outstanding if you don't pay them? >.>
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

• Shaddus said:
    Rialorm said:
    Aren't taxes added every 1 Estar, and they're outstanding if you don't pay them? >.>
    Pretty much, yeah. Most people don't pay attention to the passing of years though, it seems.
  • Ssaliss said:

Shaddus said:
    Rialorm said:
    Pretty much, yeah. Most people don't pay attention to the passing of years though, it seems.
    They do. I notice the passing because I get spammed with cartel messages, but because I was checking in the wrong place (storeroom rather than shop) I was under the illusion that the taxes were paid and I assumed Tau had taken care of it. Still, a tax reminder could be helpful!
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Yeah, I wouldn't mind a message when the year passes myself! And it wasn't directed at you specifically (sorry if it appeared it was!), but rather that people tend to be slow to pay taxes in general.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Simple idea that might not be as simple as I think or be useful to anyone except me: I would really like to be able to add footnotes to my books.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    What would that look like? You can just do them by hand, can't you?
    Enyalida said:
    READ BOOK PAGE 4 FOOTNOTES
    READ BOOK PAGE 4 FOOTNOTES FULL
    READ BOOK PAGE 4 FOOTNOTE 1
    READ BOOK PAGE 4 FOOTNOTE 2

etc
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Selenity said:
    Enyalida said:
    READ BOOK PAGE 4 FOOTNOTES
    READ BOOK PAGE 4 FOOTNOTES FULL
    READ BOOK PAGE 4 FOOTNOTE 1
    READ BOOK PAGE 4 FOOTNOTE 2

etc
    What purpose would that serve, exactly? Just so the system filters out part of the text on the page, then delivers it to you when you request it? How is that ever convenient while in the middle of reading when you'd want to actually look at the footnotes, especially when it's a page that you have to MORE through anyway?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    That seems needlessly complicated when, like Enyalida said, you could simply put them in at the bottom of the page.

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Lavinya said:
    That seems needlessly complicated when, like Enyalida said, you could simply put them in at the bottom of the page.
    I'll put you at the bottom of the page.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited December 2014
    Doing them manually is easier said than done in a lot of cases. A book's page (what you get when you go READ BOOK PAGE X) is really more like a chapter in a real book, in terms of how people use it.) The analogue to a real book's page is one scrolling, with MORE turning the page. So you'd want to put them at the bottom of each those sections, and doing that accurately by hand is a difficult and time consuming. Plus, since pagelength is configurable you'll never get it right for anyone who changes theirs off the default.

If you put your footnotes at the bottom of the page instead of the MORE section, then you either have to scroll down to the end and then scroll back up or wait until the end of the page to get all the footnotes at once. Both of these are very suboptimal. Selenity's way of doing it has the same problem, since it involves opening up new sections.

What I want is to be be able to designate a footnote at a given position and its associated text, and have the footnote get displayed at the bottom of the section that displays the footnote's position, rather than at the bottom of the page or as its own thing that can be looked up. I'd also like to mark them with a superscripted number, which is currently impossible to the best of my knowledge.

EDIT: Because I realize what I want might not be clear without an example, here's what I'm after. Pretend the bracketed number is a superscript:

Portius[1], in his seminal work on the importance of footnotes.....

[1]A Hallifaxian scholar and poet of some repute.
    -----MORE------

With the footnote being automatically inserted right above the prompt to do MORE.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.