Simple Ideas

Comments

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal

Daganev said:
    Rialorm said:
    You could always write a script that has a table with price estimates of comms, then when you look at a design have it parse the comms list and print an estimate under it. You'd still need to inspect stuff and keep track of what is cheap but it is a start. Or you can make a cheap design of your own and make that for people.
    The request is normally something along the lines of, "I want the cheapest design that has crows in it"  So I look at all the crow designs and compare the comms to the current prices in the comm shop.  It would speed things up, that's all.

Then again, a command to allow someone to look through the catalog themselves would be even better.  Something along the lines of 
    SHOW FORGING MASTERWEAPON CATALOG TO <person>
    SO MUCH THIS. Artisans would get soo much use out of it. I know my artisan gets tired of me saying, "Just pick the nicest looking one, I trust your judgement." If he could show me his artisan list (without having to copy-paste into Skype every one he thinks I'll like) it would be so much better.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Artisans? Artisans can take a seat behind the long queue of tattooists asking for this since before tattoos came out, thanks.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    This has been asked for in many variations throughout this thread and others.

A way for all trades utilising designs to show those designs to customers without the really inconvenient use of a book in game or ooc pastebin equivalent (and without being in the cartel) would be amaaaaaaaazing. We really want this! We've even offered to pay for artifacts for the privelage!

• I'm surprised no one's written a MUDlet or MUSHclient script to do all this the way my old zMUD Workbench did it (and a lot more). It would just churn through all the designs and capture everything about them in an internal database, then offered a jillion commands you could use to show lists of designs sorted and filtered any way you liked, send them to people, calculate their costs and prices, and even automate making a queue of items. All perfectly client-side-able. Not that a server-side version wouldn't be preferable in a lot of ways; but if they're not making it (apart from the filtering they added a couple of years ago) at least client-side you can do.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Someone did offer to pay you to port it to Mudlet, but you refused :(
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Maybe not so simple, but...

Can we have separate aethersight block for farscout-type (farscout, telescope, ship worldscan, clairsentience) abilities versus scry type abilities? The aethersight ability already makes a distinction between the two by giving two different messages for the different types used.

Not the same thing, but related... can we have aethersight block actually store information on who has been blocked so as not to have to redo blocks every time after raising the defense?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Lendren said:
    I'm surprised no one's written a MUDlet or MUSHclient script to do all this the way my old zMUD Workbench did it (and a lot more). It would just churn through all the designs and capture everything about them in an internal database, then offered a jillion commands you could use to show lists of designs sorted and filtered any way you liked, send them to people, calculate their costs and prices, and even automate making a queue of items. All perfectly client-side-able. Not that a server-side version wouldn't be preferable in a lot of ways; but if they're not making it (apart from the filtering they added a couple of years ago) at least client-side you can do.
    Someone had started a website like it, but not sure what happened.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Could have have an ability added to environment that would allow us to sense how much of an area we have discovered (for explorer purposes)? Perhaps it could be added as a passive to the survey ability?
    Arcanis said:
    Could have have an ability added to environment that would allow us to sense how much of an area we have discovered (for explorer purposes)? Perhaps it could be added as a passive to the survey ability?
    This has been suggested for artifacts too, I'm pretty certain. Other IREs do have it as an artifact (It is after all giving you a boost to explorers) - I know MKO for sure has one. It still hasn't been added here, though, and at this point it's a bit of a hit-and-miss situation if it will.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    There was a wiki-ish website, but it's expired and you can't see anything on it anymore.

• edited December 2014
    Probably not the best place to say it (though it is relevant, I suppose. Any of the mods are free to remove this if they feel it shouldn't be said here), but there is a site up for design cataloging. It's got most of the trades up for public design, but I've got uploads hidden for now until I finish the plugin (which will include the design price calculator since it's been requested, and will be entirely free) and site (which should be done some time in the next month. I've just been lacking time and frankly motivation).

If you want the public design listing (and whatever private cartels happen to be up), it's hosted -temporarily- at http://serialsloth.com/ and... yeah. I'll make a more proper post about it in the trade section of the forum when I'm more comfortable with where the development's at, but this might be a good interim solution for y'all wanting the catalogue sharing thing. If anybody wants their private cartel designs up in the meantime and doesn't feel like waiting, toss me a forum or game message and I'll get you through it.
  • Elanorwen said:
    Arcanis said:
    Could have have an ability added to environment that would allow us to sense how much of an area we have discovered (for explorer purposes)? Perhaps it could be added as a passive to the survey ability?
    This has been suggested for artifacts too, I'm pretty certain. Other IREs do have it as an artifact (It is after all giving you a boost to explorers) - I know MKO for sure has one. It still hasn't been added here, though, and at this point it's a bit of a hit-and-miss situation if it will.

If I recall correctly, Aetolia has it as a common feature simply added to Survey. I wouldnt mind it as either that or a simple artifact.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I have wanted this since I began playing. If there was a button to agree with special emphasis, I would use it.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Shaddus said:
    That's because I don't use Mudlet. But I did offer to help anyone who decided to write it for Mudlet, and no one took me up on it! It's just odd, all this demand, and no one fulfilling it. I bet there's a lot of credits there for the person who does.
    Lendren said:
    Shaddus said:
    That's because I don't use Mudlet. But I did offer to help anyone who decided to write it for Mudlet, and no one took me up on it! It's just odd, all this demand, and no one fulfilling it. I bet there's a lot of credits there for the person who does.
    Have absolutely no idea what your script used to do, but I guess I could take a whack at it and see what pops out.

• Elanorwen said:
    Lendren said:
    Shaddus said:
    Have absolutely no idea what your script used to do, but I guess I could take a whack at it and see what pops out.
    From what I remember, he basically had an interactive menu through tells that lets you (the customer) ask for any details about any categories or specific designs.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • edited December 2014
    Elanorwen said:
    Lendren said:
    Shaddus said:
    You could capture all the designs in your trade, or trades, and then periodically capture any new designs in those trades. Capturing meant sitting somewhere while it looked at them and recorded everything about them. It knew how to figure out which ones had been updated and capture only changes. You could tag items with tags that let you separate them out later, or mark items to be hidden from customers (e.g., those "make only for Bob" items).

Then you could make lists of designs by any combination of filters. Looking for keywords or combinations of keywords or their absence, inclusion or exclusion of comms, categories, nouns, tags, trades, etc. Basically any information in the design or that you'd added to the design, you could filter and/or sort by, in any combination. The resulting lists could be displayed on screen in any of several formats, or read off to someone in says or tells, or put into a queue of things to make, etc. There was also some code to export them in HTML format for posting on a wiki or website. The lists also let you click on the items in them to see full details, and you could also send those details to a customer in says or tells.

Since it knew what ingredients cost (it could capture comm prices from your comm shop, and also from a merchant's ledger, and you could set prices for other commodities), it could calculate prices for each item. You could set up rules that tell it how to calculate a cost to quote to the customer, including special costs for particular ingredients, a profit margin with varying brackets for different trades or different price ranges, and rounding rules. It could then use the price to sort and filter the lists as well, and could be set to show the prices to the customer when you give a list, or not, as you saw fit.

You could add items to one or more queues of things to be made. Each queue could also be tallied up for its own total price. You could save queues for re-use (e.g., "this is the stuff I make to stock this shop") or thrown away when done with it (e.g., "this is the stuff I'm making for Bob's order"). If a queue had been saved for a while, you could update all its pricing.

It knew what was in your rift, so it could look at an item, set of items, or queue, and compare the total needs of the commodities of everything in it to what's in your rift and tell you what you still need to get to fill the order. If you have a ledger it could then show you where that's available at the best prices, and separate out villages based on your political situation so you won't bother to see villages you can't go into (unless you asked to see them anyway).

Once you were ready it could automate the process of creating an item, list of items, or queue. It would outrift items as needed, keep the oven or forge stoked, handle special items like some artisan ones that require an extra parameter in crafting, manage powerstones, and could even handle a queue that contains multiple trades if you have all the relevant tradeskills at once. You could configure commands to have it execute before and after certain trade actions so, for instance, it would always put on your Gloves of Mastery before doing any enchanting or alchemy.

There were also integrations with my shop system where I could go to one of my shops and see what was in stock and automatically generate queues of everything needed to restock it, or go through a shoplog and generate a queue of things to make to replenish whatever had been sold.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    It'd be more used than sparwho and rpwho.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I use RPWHO! I usually only see myself and Marcella listed. Use it, people!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I use it when I remember and I'm not being largely afk due to children climbing all over me. Hard to roleplay properly with little hands pulling yours off the keyboard :(.

• I don't like RPWHO. I find it inorganic.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It is inorganic, go figure. 

• Altrea said:
    So uh, not that things like sparwho or rpwho actually get used, but perhaps for the sake of usefulness, something like TRADEWHO that people can add themselves to if they have a trade so people can find them? Maybe even searchable with something like TRADEWHO [ARTISAN/COOKING/Etc.]

Not sure if this has been suggested before, and I'm sure there's something dumb in this idea somewhere.

Now there's something that would be used and quite beneficial. I could even see "black market trading" occur with that. +1
  • I think we should have a writing desk in the Havens.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Idea: Increase the max number of runes/tinctures/etc in your rift to 2000 like every other thing in the game. :(
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • Yeah, having some be 500, others be 2000 is just weird. Just put them all at 2k.

Lerad said:
    Yeah, having some be 500, others be 2000 is just weird. Just put them all at 2k.
    Chemwood reagent storage (the ones that the vendor sells and can replace essence) only goes up to 250.