Simple Ideas

Comments

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Elanorwen said:
    Lerad said:
    Yeah, having some be 500, others be 2000 is just weird. Just put them all at 2k.
    Chemwood reagent storage (the ones that the vendor sells and can replace essence) only goes up to 250.

200k total, with 500 each if you want equal amounts.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Neos said:
    I mean cloudmarble, wyrdensap, etc (Whatever the other ones are and that are riftable), not the actual transmuted reagents. That said... it's not 200k, but 2k there. :P

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Elanorwen said:
    Neos said:
    I mean cloudmarble, wyrdensap, etc (Whatever the other ones are and that are riftable), not the actual transmuted reagents. That said... it's not 200k, but 2k there. :P
    Yeah that, I just woke up. LEAVE ME ALONE. I was the one who got it changed anyways.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Another idea. Since it's -extremely- difficult to get 20+ people level 80 and higher in any alliance online at the same time, can there be a timer on certain Smobs?

An example would be the Cloier in Muhanlesh. That thing has been up for RL months now because we just can't get the numbers to drop it, and that makes a lowbie bashing area (as well as a neat lore spot) completely unusable.

Maybe have it raised for two weeks, or until slain. Not sure how difficult this would be from a code perspective.
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
    Kurut said:
    Another idea. Since it's -extremely- difficult to get 20+ people level 80 and higher in any alliance online at the same time, can there be a timer on certain Smobs?

An example would be the Cloier in Muhanlesh. That thing has been up for RL months now because we just can't get the numbers to drop it, and that makes a lowbie bashing area (as well as a neat lore spot) completely unusable.

Maybe have it raised for two weeks, or until slain. Not sure how difficult this would be from a code perspective.
    I don't think it would be, but that said... nobody's preventing you from calling others in to help for an smob. If you're not going to be jumping the kephera queen (or similar), one would think even diametrically opposed orgs would be interested in lending a hand.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Kurut said:
    Another idea. Since it's -extremely- difficult to get 20+ people level 80 and higher in any alliance online at the same time, can there be a timer on certain Smobs?

I was pondering over the concept of 'permanent quests until fixed' today, and how irksome it is that it becomes a chore to have to clean up some mess.

The Cloier is one example, here are others:

- Marani Veloske
    - Tainted Broadcast Centre
    - Gorgog Rift
    - Cursed suits of Armour
    - Soulforge (I know it's currently broken, but still an example)
    - Cay of Cloadhi/Carai Croo
    - Slaghora'ruin
    - Goloth (this one currently floating around)
    - Spirit of Marilynth

So on and so forth.

Frankly I feel the concept of 'permanent' quest is just far too exhausting. Timers should be placed on most of these, but not too short that they become redundant to accomplish. I could see 3-7 RL days a good setup.
  • Firstly, I want to put it out there that I'm definitely supportive of getting rid of permanent quest effects/smobs.

However, in order to make that concept viable, there're a lot of fundamental changes that have to be made to all of those quests and the underlying quest concepts in Lusternia. Firstly, these permanent quests are a prime source of PK conflict. To complete them in the first place, you have to surmount obstacles by opposing players, assuming they know you're working on it. Some quests are easier to disrupt, and are a source of constant frustration as well as competitive adrenaline (and the sweet feeling of victory when you manage to prevail over the opposing side, whether you're doing it or disrupting it). Taking away the permanent aspect drastically reduces any motivation to oppose, disrupt, or even take down the quest. "Leave it alone, it'll just poof after a while" is not really healthy in my opinion.

At the same time, it is clear that some of these permanent quests were designed with a larger population in mind. Things like the Dracnari/Lucidian mirror army is easy to do solo, but things like the Zenobia/Cthoglogg cycle is an entirely different slice of cake. Trying to complete the latter cycle alone is painfully difficult - it requires consecutive hours of commitment, and obviously is designed with shift-work kind of coordination in mind. After putting it up, it also provides a consistent buff that makes all the hardwork worth it, as well as requiring a great amount of effort to neutralize, which, in my opinion, is perfectly fine. Once they are completed, it can take months or years before being neutralized. Oh, the good old days when my Cthoglogg was empowered for the better part of a RL year before you guys went to kill him. Sniffle. You could argue that such long periods of static time are what these quests are made for... but is that really the case, or just that there are not enough people? It certainly is a fact, however, that such quests will very rarely change states with our current population. There just simply are not enough people in this game to keep the quests moving from one state to another whether they are intended to be so or not.

On the other hand, there are also permanent quests with negative effects. The Spire of Dionamus, the TBC, are both examples. These give an added "incentive" to take down in that it punishes swathes of the population unless they put in the effort to do so. I suppose the Soulforge falls under here as well? Was it Marani that grows stronger over time too? Though I've never been involved in taking those down before. When the population required for these quests are not met, it becomes a permanent punishment of sorts, which is not a good thing either.

To change this, we first have to re-assess what is a reasonable effort threshold for our kind of population... or drastically change the rewards such quests give out. If you want Zenobia to poof after 7 days, that quest has to be a great deal less troublesome to complete, or has to give a very good buff for the limited time it stays up to make that kind of effort worth it. When that happens, we start going into outlier and power creep territory, and that's definitely not healthy either. And what happens if Lusternia one day becomes the bustling, busy, vibrant game (wishful thinking, but hey, it doesn't hurt) the quests were designed to cater for? Should we then add some new quests or re-tweak them again?

Much as I would like to see some permanent quests removed, it just doesn't seem worth the effort. Some quests require more people to complete/neutralize than we have at the moment, but since that's not the case for all quests... just do those that don't for now.

• In truth I find quests like Zenobia and Cthoglogg not part of the problem. They are simply flavor quests that give a boost but with almost no form of negative hit to the population. I find quests like this can in fact stay permanent and give an incentive. That doesnt mean I agree with how powerful these Smobs and others are...in truth I think they need to be toned down to even give a remote chance at competing.

My focus would be on quests like the Spire, TBC, Cloier, Marani, Marilynth Spirit (Have you tried doing this counter quest? I honestly believe a Coder was laughing as he made it). I'd like to see a hard timer put on all of these.

Additionally, while competitiveness is fun, I do not see the concept of frustration and near-to bemoaning on the idea of "Now we have to do the counter quest" as competitiveness, but rather more as chores.
  • TBC is a fine example of people rallying across political lines to take that thing down fast, despite however many players any individual org has.

I do agree a lot of the smobs feel like they're made for a larger population, and I think we even were a bigger population when that particular knee-jerk came around. Have any org smobs fallen since?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    As long as no one is trying to disrupt the counter quest for tbc, it's pretty quick and painless. It shouldn't take a whole 20+ person crew to take down most quest-'smobs', though. I know that it takes only three of us to take down the Goloth and his timebiotches, and I think I've heard of people solo-ing them. 

I think that the Fleshpots and Spheres may have dropped, but the individually tougher smobs haven't.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Pretty sure Ashtorath/Baalphegar were dropped once (maybe twice) since the last time smobs were buffed, but that was quite a while back now. Maybe two years minimum? Only fleshpots and spheres have gone down at all in recent memory otherwise.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Arcanis said:
    Marilynth Spirit (Have you tried doing this counter quest? I honestly believe a Coder was laughing as he made it). 
    Apparently Ladantine "only" loses half the devil fish he's been given each time he's killed or so. You can still make progress even if he's killed at every hour so long as you make sure you have every damn last devil fish to give to him as soon as he's back up again, but yeah, it's a definite PITA.

• Vivet said:
    Arcanis said:
    Marilynth Spirit (Have you tried doing this counter quest? I honestly believe a Coder was laughing as he made it). 
    Apparently Ladantine "only" loses half the devil fish he's been given each time he's killed or so. You can still make progress even if he's killed at every hour so long as you make sure you have every damn last devil fish to give to him as soon as he's back up again, but yeah, it's a definite PITA.

Not only that, but I just do not understand why Ladantine requires his own special quest to resurrect him each time when he is so damn easy to kill. His counter part, the Kelpie queen, respawns normally. Honestly Mag doesnt even bother with resurrecting him or doing the devil fish as long as it is necessary for the Epic.

Even then, one would say we could defend him...but even that is limited. We cant meld down there (I've tried :(), and the idea of having to collect 200 devil fish is just murderous. Marilynth can have the Sea of Despair and sing all she wants, I aint touching that quest with a 50 foot pole.
  • Okay, this is a request and an idea in one, because I personally find this really painful to have around.

Could we please make it that things like Burnout still fade away with time (timer) when we are logged out and away? I mean you got burned out and decided rather than waiting the next 30+ minutes, you'll go do something useful, right? No...it seems you -have- to stand around (likely idling) to wait for it to fade away. Why? If we could please just make it tick away even when offline, that would be great.

Truth be told, I'd love if this could be applied to all negative timed symptoms, but im not sure how plausible it would be seen, examples:

- Drunkness (Honestly if someone is very drunk, it should be plausible that they can decide to logoff and go do something useful while their character sobers up).

- Astral Insanity (same thing)

- High (smiley faces etc.)

Though these dont inhibit your ability to still play in the game as much, they are still quite annoying.

• Arcanis said:
    Okay, this is a request and an idea in one, because I personally find this really painful to have around.

Could we please make it that things like Burnout still fade away with time (timer) when we are logged out and away? I mean you got burned out and decided rather than waiting the next 30+ minutes, you'll go do something useful, right? No...it seems you -have- to stand around (likely idling) to wait for it to fade away. Why? If we could please just make it tick away even when offline, that would be great.

Truth be told, I'd love if this could be applied to all negative timed symptoms, but im not sure how plausible it would be seen, examples:

- Drunkness (Honestly if someone is very drunk, it should be plausible that they can decide to logoff and go do something useful while their character sobers up).

- Astral Insanity (same thing)

- High (smiley faces etc.)

Though these dont inhibit your ability to still play in the game as much, they are still quite annoying.
    I cannot say I'm remotely enthusiastic about the idea that somebody could just log out to negate the peace time they get when I sic Avechna on them.

Even for the stuff you mentioned, meh. Ego burnout is completely avoidable, even when influencing stuff way above your level, and I even like the idea that it's harsher than bashing deaths. Outside of that, influencers really do have things easy. Talk to people or something, if you're burnt out.

And everything else you listed are things you willfully do to yourself. You can eat your timer for that stuff.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    edited December 2014
    Negate? The purpose of peace time is to introduce a period of x hours where the 'bully' cannot attack you. If they are not logged in for x hours, by definition they cannot attack you or do anything else active for those same x hours.

Drunkenness and being high  are not something only you can do to yourself, there are several ways to force them on someone else, including a guild whose skills center around forcing you to be drunk and high.

Ego burnout is also not the same thing as being shattered. You're most likely to be burned out in combat, if someone's draining your ego somehow, like dealing a lot of damage against your psyshield or using an ego draining attack to disable your psionics.
  • edited December 2014
    Yep, completely negating it. It's always true that people can't harrass you if they're not even here. The point of Avenger is to keep them off you while they are.

Drunkenness and being high are 100% cureable by skills.

The ego burnout from Healing and Influencing is lolyoudeserveit, but it lasts maybe an hour. Being shattered is like ten minutes or something? Which of those applies in a combat situation? That one is news to me.

• I think it's important to, rather than make these things tick while logged off, make it possible to do meaningful things even with these things. I can't imagine encouraging players to log off being something good for the game. Reducing the fumbling rate of drunkenness would help.

For burnout, a re-look at what kind of effects is warranted might be better. For PvP burnout (healing, psionics) the skillset might still be allowed to work, but to have certain important functions disabled so that the user is at a severe disadvantage... but can still participate. Perhaps not being able to use any ego-based healing abilities for a healing burnout (but still able to cure oneself) and not being able to lock channels (but still able to use one-off active abilities) might work for psionics. Alternatively, the other way around for psionics, allow locking, but not one-off active abilities.

Debate/influence burnout is fine as-is. The timer is short enough, and the downtime is needed, for debate wars in revolts.

edited December 2014
    No, I'd argue that's not the point. The point is giving you breathing room to play without being harassed IC. You should get 8 hours (let's say) of peaceful time. If they're online, 8 hours. If they're offline, 8 hours. Punishing players for having real lives and wanting to log off every once and a while is silly. 

What? What (common) skill cures drunkenness, or being high? I don't have it, and I'm omnitrans. Off hand, all I can think of are trueheal and brewmeister belching, neither of which are accessible to the large majority of the game.

• Healing Sacrifice

edited December 2014
    Because... healing is accessible to a large majority of the game? Yikes, that's scary. 

Personally, I hate being drunk IC. It runs counter to a huge part of what my character is about, and provides a lot of RP tension when related to dreamweaving and the use of absinthe.

When presented in other circumstances with the need to run to a healer to sacrifice (which is not a light deal) or stand idle in a manse for ten minutes, I (and most other players, I suspect) just sit idle in a manse for however long it takes. I effectively just leave the game with my character in it, and go make a sandwich or something. The only thing that would change if drunkenness ticked down when logged off - or more realistically, ticked down when you logged on proportional to how long you've been logged off - is that I would qq before making my sandwich. 

EDIT: Basically, it's a QoL change that hurts nobody, and makes managing a potentially frustrating mechanic involve less afk. Just let the characters sleep it off!

Also, there's an idea - make drunkenness recover faster if you're asleep.
  • @Everiine then why do I never see you on it! :P
    is dead like the dodo
  • If the choice you're facing to cure it is QQ, it really ought to be super easy to just ask for your friendly neighborhood healer, no? If you're QQing, you're not in a combat situation, right? Noncoms do it all the time, and are usually happy to. Noncoms also really, really like Healing. They're not hard to find.

Riluna said:
    Healing Sacrifice
    Yet another ability that is not available to the populace at large. I'm betting that you don't have it right now. Plus, if memory serves, it needs to be done by another on you, rather than by you...

• edited December 2014
    Elanorwen said:
    Riluna said:
    Healing Sacrifice
    Yet another ability that is not available to the populace at large. I'm betting that you don't have it right now. Plus, if memory serves, it needs to be done by another on you, rather than by you...

Both true, but it's widely available enough that even if you yourself do not have it, it's incredibly rare that you can't find a Healer at all. It's a service I've performed many, many times, though yes, I just gave it up yesterday. :)

Anyway, I didn't entirely mean to start an argument about this. It's just my opinion (though perhaps a drunken, feisty opinion, admittedly). Disagree as you will. I am rather drunk and tired, so I think I'll head off to bed before I antagonize anyone else. Sorry. :)

edited December 2014
    Basically, I don't think that the Avenger system should be punitive, it should be corrective.

If you're looking to punish the attacker, in a sort of "victim's revenge", then it makes perfect sense that the attacker must be present and 'suffering' for the length of sentence. If you're looking to solve a problem (namely, that someone has been killed on 'neutral ground' and then attacked again in the same circumstances by the same person, all without fighting back) then having a combat cooldown period length that doesn't take into account what the player is doing during that period - including not playing - makes the most sense.

I think it would be a nice change, because I take the latter stance. It may not be that way due to coding concerns, having something be incrementally tracked on a character that isn't logged in seems obnoxious.

• Enyalida said:
    If you're looking to solve a problem (namely, that someone has been killed on 'neutral ground' and then attacked again in the same circumstances by the same person, all without fighting back) then having a combat cooldown period length that doesn't take into account what the player is doing during that period - including not playing - makes the most sense.
    Why would "having a combat cooldown period length that doesn't take into account what the player is doing during that period" be any kind of "corrective" action? I don't see how it solves any problems.

The Avenger system is both punitive and a deterrent. The threat is clearly stated in the help files: cross a line, and you lose more than you gain. Translation: don't cross that line. In order for it to work as a deterrent, it has to be punitive. If the punishment is not frustrating and does not cause suffering, it will not be deterrent.

Corrective action would be ideal, of course, to make the player see the error of his ways and therefore correct his future actions for the better. However, as players playing a game, I doubt many will be receptive to being lectured and counselled at. And if there's an admin who's willing to put in the time and effort to counsel someone over the internet, I salute them - I for one, am not willing. If you play with me, I'll gladly play with you, but if you cross the officially designated line, I want you punished, end of story. Allowing avenger peace to tick down when logged off won't be corrective in the slightest, and will take away the punitive portion of the deterrent, rendering it toothless.

edited December 2014
    In that there is a problem, and the problem is corrected. You had someone attacking a target repeatedly within a window of time, they are rendered unable to do so for a window of time. The victim was being harried IC, they now have space to breathe. Problem -> Solution. Who cares what the other person is doing during that time, they're not attacking you.

So instead of logging off for x hours (assuming that's what they were planning on doing), the attacker should turn off tells and idle in a manse for x hours while they do other things? No matter how you manage ticking down, there is nothing compelling a player so inclined from being non-present for the length of the time. If that really is the point of the Avenger system, it's been toothless a long time. Why punish people for going straight for logging off?

• AFK comes with its own set of risks. If someone is Avenger peaced, and chooses to afk it off while making curry, well, sure. If they don't get jumped, hoorah for them, they've managed to tick it off without suffering, and have avoided the punitive portion of it. If they don't, well, that's that too. But whether they choose to make curry or not make curry, they have to sit through x hours of being in the realms without the privilege of PvP. Sure, the argument that this still makes it toothless certainly is a valid one. But hey, if you want to make it tougher than it is now, I'm all for it. Let's make it toothy. Let's not make it any officially more toothless.

While not really a simple idea, I'll follow the tangent of tripping hard, alcohol, sleep and hunger attrition (Because those are the three kinds of attrition that stick with you even after the fight is long over unless you take action to resolve them by eating, sleeping or just waiting around, twiddling your thumbs)

Tripping hard is an affliction that really serves no actual purpose. It is incurable, but it does not in any way hinder one's ability to fight. Every system these days does, and if it doesn't, it probably should filter the smiley faces. The only way I can see it causing trouble for someone is if they're on a horribly slow connection and it lags them out, and that is hardly what we want to be looking at for an affliction in an online game.

Alcohol attrition, while having its purpose is also a bit on the strange level. We have illuminati who work with insanity, albeit temporary insanity in their case, because it would be utterly ridiculous to stack something toward a kill method that takes upwards of half an hour to cure. Solution to the problem: Convert alcohol attrition caused by Minstrels to temporary drunkenness levels that expire at a much faster rate than the regular drunkenness levels provided that the victim hasn't been in the presence of a Minstrel in the past say... thirty seconds.

Sleep attrition is yet another flaky one. While sleeping it off tends to cure the problem at a much faster rate than being drunk does. And if it is done during a Domoth fight/whatever, it allows the person dishing out the attrition to simply come back and resume where they left off. Solution: I'd personally rather see this gone, but if that is not an option, I'd rather have a 'temporary' tiredness level in much the same way as the previous recommendation.

Hunger attrition: Easiest to deal with... provided one carries a constant supply of expensive (relatively) items on a low decay timer in their inventory. Platters these days cost easily upward of 300g. While this is a reasonable price (I guess) for a long-time player with millions on their hands, it is not a reasonable price for Newbie McNewbson who is barely scraping up a few thousand gold. Especially when one takes into account the general cost of the new curatives. Solution: I'd rather see it gone, but if it must most certainly be there, I'd like to see a small rift for consumables (Say 10 items max) that can store platters.