Change my mind about IG Divine.

Comments

• Enyalida said:
    I just didn't think your opinions were correct!

The Gods aren't subjective entities, you can't be qualified as a 'Lusternian God' just because people think you are. The Elder Gods are objectively different from mortals in terms of scale within the context of Lusternia, even if demimortals and gods share the same essential traits and fundamental underpinnings.

The Greek or DnD  gods do not represent perfection,  their point is that they are flawed in all the same ways as mortals - often more so. The entire classical (popular) Olympian narritive is a story of the worst of mankind played out in the stars. Jealousy, lust, anger, murder, lying, stealing, cheating, you name it - the gods get down and dirty just like the rest of us. The difference being that when they fight, lightning flashes in the sky and the sun falls out of the sky. They have the same issues, but everything is turned up to 11 because they are more powerful.
    I'm not offended, I just honestly couldn't figure out what you were disagreeing with. I think that we're answering different questions, though: I agree that you can't just 'become' a Lusternia god, and that they are different from mortals, but I was responding to the question "what traits are necessary for one to be considered a god." I assumed from other posts that most people seemed to think that the ability to create life was a requirement to be a god.

As for the second, yes and no. The Greek/Dnd gods were never perfect in every way, and that's not what I meant. Within their own domains(love, water, crafts, war, forging, magic) they represented mortal perfection. If you were a warrior, you'd worship Aries. If you were a mage, you'd probably worship Mystra(or whatever it is now). Overall, the gods are flawed, but within a particular specialty, they're very skilled. If that happens to be the skill that you most admire as a mortal follower, then your chosen deity would be perceived as perfect. (Or at least, you'd pretend they were)
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Turning back towards the main issue. Why should you worship them?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    My answer is that you shouldn't.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Because Morgfyre can eat you.

(but he won't, because he needs you as much as you need him)
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Because they're a good source of information and/or power, and because Malmydia does cool things with souls.
    Silvanus said:
    Because Morgfyre can eat you.

(but he won't, because he needs you as much as you need him)
    It's this that leads me to my way of thinking. They need us for power, and we need them for power. I'm more inclined towards partnership than kowtow...
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited January 2014
    Except, the Twelve Traitors don't mind killing you dead for not kowtowing. Even if, for some reason, we all decided to boycott Fain or something, he'd continue to exist (and likely turn to the dark side of the dark side of Lusternia (particularly because he isn't trapped or bound like the other Soulless)). Moreover, they likely have at least some way of generating their own power instead of relying on mortals for their essence. You could even see it as placating what could be volatile and extremely dangerous people.

That's still not really worship.. There are plenty of players that wouldn't mind killing you dead for the same, and who have the ability to do so - avoiding them squashing you doesn't qualify as 'worship', or even 'respect', except a healthy respect for your own skin.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited January 2014
    Well, playing the devil's advocate here, I think you could worship a god in the same sense you can worship someone you regard as a leader or hero. The gods are incredibly powerful and capable of great feats and each god was his or her own vision. Perhaps they manage to convince you into following a course and you feel drawn to them to lead and guide you along that path. To a certain extent when some people accept someone to be more powerful, intelligent and charismatic they trust them completely enough to call all the shots and trust their judgement over their own - the extent to which in this case is further than most typical cases of accepted leadership. 

It's more of a character choice. Is your character one who is likely to worship a god, or are they one who is more likely to remain independent and question their judgement. There's arguments for both that can come up IG and it also depends on the god character, their alignment and the alignment of the character.

Ultimately, as Xenthos and others have already made a good point of, there's lots of reasons to respect certain Elder Gods (depending on your lusternian world view and how they fit into it) but whether or not you'd follow into worshipping them depends on the tendencies and dispositions of your character.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    If you want my IC (and partially OOC) feelings about Fain, try reading this.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Munsia said:
    Turning back towards the main issue. Why should you worship them?
    I worshipped Fain for the reasons found in my last post. I worship Isune on Entrias for a number of reasons, but mostly because she's an amazing conversationalist and gives us some really good RP. As an atheist IRL, it's odd that I like having a divine to worship, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a mixture of the mystique of someone watching you coupled with the fact that they really -are- fallible and have their own lives. They're like us, but with a bit more power.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Nocht said:
    Out of curiosity, what traits do you think are necessary for one to be considered a god?
    It's an interesting question. I suppose on some level it's a more instinctive/feeling thing. 

The Discworld gods are very interesting for example, they feel like gods. Their entire existence is based on the fact that people believe that they exist and so you have all manner of gods based on things that people decided to worship. In the MUD Pishe is the goddess of slight showers for example. Though this also leads to the interesting example of Death, who exists similarly as an anthropomorphic personification of Death but is not considered a god. (Time is another example).
    I suppose the differentiation there is that people believe that the gods can be bargained with to some degree, while concepts like Death and Time cannot. Though the creation of Hat, the vulture headed god of unexpected guests would certainly be interesting. (perhaps the patron god of party planners praying that randoms will turn up to make things awesome?)

In the Witches of Eileanan, there is Ea who from memory is perhaps similar to the concept of a single god with many faces, she is considered to be the one who controls fate, you pray to her for assistance in magical workings and the like. Acts are done in her name, blessings are beseeched from her. She never actually appears in the series and nothing necessarily happens to prove that she exists, but the majority of the humans in the series firmly believe that she exists.

In MKO, it seems that gods are similarly based around aspects of creation that they are responsible for and in turn potentially have the capacity to influence their domains. So it makes sense to say... pray to Silban for a good harvest, and then to be thankful to her when it is or fearful of what you've done wrong if it isn't.

I suppose a common thread here is the requirement of faith and belief. While the gods may or may not exist without mortals, there is the lack of concrete knowledge in what they actually are responsible for in your life. You pray to them in the hopes that they will help you in their domain, rituals are performed to attract their favour or appease them. 
    These actions form part of the religion around gods and are in many ways form the primary method of communication with them. A god physically manifesting is something that is rare, mortals are struck with awe and fear by the magnitude of such an event. 

I don't particularly feel that I would really pray to the Elders for this sort of thing. 

Elostian was certainly powerful, arguably more powerful than your default elder. He was wise and commanded great powers. But I wouldn't pray to him for guidance on a subject, I'd just walk up to a shrine and ask him, or merely talk about it until he just turned up and joined the conversation. Rituals seemed to be things that he performed to focus his own power and possibly commune with the very fabric of reality, not necessarily things that people performed to communicate with him. 

If I were to write a harvest ritual, I wouldn't be asking the elders for help, it would be the fae or nature. If there was a "harvest" themed elder, I feel that i'd be more likely to go and ask them for advice then ask them to really do anything about it.

Again, I just feel that the Elders fit more in the lines of the Asgard from Too Human, the Thor movies, or Stargate. Or the First Civilisation of Assassins Creed. To some degree comparisons to the Ancients and Ori of Stargate or the Q of Star Trek might be valid, though I could see arguments that the Elders are relatively less powerful and are more accessible than these races. 

It's not a bad comparison. These characters are amazing and impressive, it was one of the things that drew people to Tears of Polaris, that their admin characters would not be gods but a race of powerful beings calling on these comparisons, and with the Ancient/Ori comparison you have the ability to create a member of the "Elder" race that has learned to draw on mortal faith for personal power while other members find other ways to sustain themselves and grow.
  • Another comparison that occurred to me is actually Dynara and Magnora. They are Gods in my mind, they are Creation and Destruction. And they are so tightly connected to these forces of Lusternia that when they left it, the ability for true creation and destruction went with them.

The same cannot be said for the Elders, they've died in the hundreds if not thousands, what is lost is their individual presence but that is all (that's not to say that this is not sad)

With their connection to the forces of nature, the Awakened spirits, at the least, possess a resemblance to Dynara and Magnora in that should they be harmed or destroyed the aspect of the world that they represent would be affected. 
    Such as how the Sun physically changed when the elixir was used on the spirit of the Sun, and the statements that should Sun's awakening be reversed, the physical sun might still exist but at the same time it would be dead. I believe somewhere along the line it was mentioned that killing lesser fae would similarly kill the aspects of nature that they are awakened from. For plants and the like this seems likely to be a direct, death equals death, though for other things like pools it seems likely to be a bit more ambigious, perhaps the pool slowly becomes stagnant and incapable of supporting life?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I think it is also important to point out that Elder Gods transcend the world in a way that mortals don't. For example, Elder Gods can leave the world and enter the Void, survive it, and return. Mortals can't do that. So maybe it is a power thing--the Elder Gods are incredibly powerful with a much much higher control over the First World than mortals ever could.

There is a fundamental difference of existence. Elder Gods were grown in divine creches, and when they matured enough, left the creches. They were "the" lifeform created by Dynara, meant to wield power and control over the World. We mortals are just pieces of Elders--the Elders are the whole package as it was meant to be. We can't leave our world, and most of the creation/control we exert on our world has been forced or tricked, expending a great deal of power for a tiny result compared to what the Elders can do with ease.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Noone's arguing that the Gods aren't more powerful.  It's a subject of does that power deserve worship.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Something that no one has touched on that I really saw, and Lavinya feels very strongly about, is the wisdom and intellect of the Divine. Lavinya worships Morgfyre in particular for many reasons, such as believing in His teachings and ways, respect and awe for (as she puts it) doing what was needed to be done (forbidden elixir). But she has a healthy...well respect is I suppose the right word for all of the Divine. Not because she agrees with their teachings, in fact she thinks some of them are downright idiotic (A living breathing viscanti doesn't exactly support being hated for the crime of existing *cough*Eventru*cough*), but there is still a measure of respect for these beings that are so much greater than mortals. Greater, in that while our oldest have lived to be a few hundred years, the divine have existed for many, many aeons longer. Living for that length of time has to grant a measure of wisdom and perspective that we just don't have. What is a hundred years to us is but a drop in the bucket to them. What we create is like a child's crayon drawing next to the wonders they have shaped and created in the same world. An individual mortal is just the tiniest fragment without even the memory (anymore) of the one, single whole they came from.

That isn't to say that the divine aren't flawed in many ways, they have their own petty fueds and squabbles and jealousies. Lavinya has often thought about the arrogance of mortals, how they get so caught up in their own politics between cities, which in the light of eternity are so...insignificant. How they put their own wisdom and comparatively tiny perspectives as far greater than the knowledge of a being that existed before the Soulless were even a known threat. If we are the drop in the bucket, They are the ocean.

Lavinya struggles to comprehend how anyone could consider themselves greater, except for blind pride and arrogance. OOCly we know these people are just players like us, but IC, they shaped the universe, and without them, WE (meaning shards) would not even exist. Does the clay consider itself superior to it's sculptor? What would it be if the artist had not drawn the clay from the earth and shaped and moulded it? This is how Lavinya thinks, anyway. She gives her devotion to the one she believes to be the greatest - not just the guy that will eat you, but the one with the courage to do even that which was risky and amoral for the benefit of all, the one that was considered to be the greatest strategist of the warriors, the one that is strong and wise and cunning. Whose mind far exceeds her own, tiny, struggling to comprehend mortal one. And it's why she holds a measure of respect for all of the divine. Why she actively sought Zvoltz' wisdom and insight, for example, why she admires Isune's creativity, Raezon's knowledge, Fain's strength and leadership (even when it's TOUGH). Why, even though the likes of Eventru and Mysrai consider her an abomination for the accident of her birth as viscanti, she still has (very begrudging) respect for WHAT they are, if not who.

I'm probably rambling. But that's my IC perspective.

• For some reason, the more recent comments have made me consider the relationship between humans and animals.

Especially when you consider domestic animals. 
    We control their lives. 
    Often their ability to reproduce and their mate when they do so are entirely our choice. To the point of choosing mates that would produce desired offspring for us.

Countless animals live until we demand that they die for us. Either as food, in events like horse races, or in some other service to humans (such as steeds in historic battle). At times, the death of an animal is assured when they no longer serve another purpose to humanity.

More positively we're also capable of providing healing to them. Injuries and infections that would otherwise lead to their deaths can sometimes be cured by humans. 

We feed them and keep them safe from the otherwise hostile world. Their lives potentially lengthened through our care, though in return house pets often provide devotion and attention to their owners. But still, if a human lives to say around eighty their life is something like six times the length of the average life of say a dog or a cat.

I suppose my point here is that, if you were to look at humanity through that point of view, would these animals consider us to be gods?
  • Isn't there a joke about the difference between cats and dogs?

Dog: These people feed me, shelter me and love me … they must be God

Cat: These people feed me, shelter me and love me… I must be God

Worship the divine because they give us shinies.
    Depth isn't always part of the allure @Talan , I'd like to point out this is a game...I play many....MANY games
  • Munsia said:
    Depth isn't always part of the allure @Talan , I'd like to point out this is a game...I play many....MANY games
    Agree. I have nfi what's going on here anymore... but you did ask to be swayed in this general direction. Taking up with gods is a step toward immersion. If you do not want that, feel free to continue ignoring them!
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    edited January 2014
    Lore doesn't interest me in any game I play, and as I said, I play many games. I skip cutscenes in 90% of them.

My immersion comes from the here and now, what's going on and how things are happen to my character. I have to say learning about the past doesn't affect it.

The topic is why would you bother WORSHIPPING a Divine. (I think, I'm confused anymore)

We're also looking into the level of  zeal actual religious intent, look towards christianity (maybe Catholicism on zealous actions) many of what you see IG. If you don't believe a god is worship-worthy, you're pretty much put on the spot.
  • I guess I am the confused one... I thought I gave several reasons why it's worthwhile, but I guess you're asking after their inherent merit? I gave that answer as well - it's their assigned role in the game.

As for the reason why people bother - people enjoy it. They like feeling special when a god pays attention to them, or else they just like this type of role-play.

P.S. Not being zealous in a hyper-religious environment can be great role-play in itself. Maybe someone will witch-hunt you and burn you alive at a stake!
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Talan said:

P.S. Not being zealous in a hyper-religious environment can be great role-play in itself. Maybe someone will witch-hunt you and burn you alive at a stake!

We all know the reaction Munsy gives in game to things like that.
    You can explore god RP in depth and join an order, and still not... worship a god. 

I'm in an Order, this was never in question....