Lag

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    We're currently in a series of game wides spikes still ongoing at time of posting.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited January 2014
    If it helps: There were two bursts today. The first one started at 15:48:30 my time, and ended 15:57:05. The second started 18:52:09, and ended 19:01:37. Their durations are, while not identical, pretty similar.

EDIT: I should perhaps add that there were a couple of hits before 15:48 as well (three hits total in five minutes or so), but that's when it got severe.
  • Okay, so that theory was smashed pretty handily by the recent (currently ongoing) lag-spurt of 32 minutes...
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Currently spiking pretty badly, some proof: http://jsfiddle.net/qVh7m/embedded/result/
    This isn't 100% unplayable lag, but it's sure impossible to do anything productive without running the risk of failure due to long interruptions to the server, or in some cases consistent disconnects.

It's not got to the case of *Just log off and do something else, because you can't even talk* lag, but we're not far off.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I've noticed that influencing by using stratagems is at least workable. You'll get your hits in, although your sips will be slightly delayed. I'd imagine it's not very workable when bashing though...
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Why is it that every Ascension time results in the worst lag of the year anyway? What are you guys uploading to the server that says BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOOOOOOM CRRRRASSSSSSSH ZZZZZZZAP BOOOOOM?
    Thank you for looking into this, is it worth continuing to run player side logging regarding frequency of occurences and duration?

• edited January 2014
    Not particularly. Information from you guys that would help in pinpointing the problems would include, say, a particular command you've found that consistently causes a notable lag. Based on the profiling results I've got, though, I don't think that's a likely culprit.

EDIT: As an update, I've found some other routines that seem to be taking a rather larger portion of CPU time than they really should. However, addressing them is will quite possibly require some non-trivial rewrites of a few things. I'm taking a closer look at the relevant systems, and I'm going to talk with Estarra about this next time I get a chance.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Lavinya said:
    I have been getting noticable lag spikes too, my internet isn't the fastest at the best of times here, but it's been more exaggerated and regular than usual.
    I was downloading today, so likely my fault.  Sorry.......but ignoring that there has been lag over the week or so.  I am dreading the lag during the ascension events based on what I have seen over the last week. 

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

If last year is an indication, Chaos will really expose any current flaws.

It'll also be command delay hell D:

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Have there been proactive attempts to find the major causes of lag from last ascension and see how we can reduce it this time? Ascension is by far the biggest event of the year, and it's extremely important to keep it smooth.
    It broke.
    Right in the middle of a domoth, server dies.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Yeah, I was all... okay... did I just get disconnected... or did everything go boom?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Everything went boom, just as we were about to start round 3.

Morkarion said:
    Ehhhhh... wtb more ranged casters to kill the tinies... not sure why I'm doing so little damage lately, too... barely hitting for 10% of a faeling non-demi's health? Wot?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Elanorwen said:
    Morkarion said:
    Ehhhhh... wtb more ranged casters to kill the tinies... not sure why I'm doing so little damage lately, too... barely hitting for 10% of a faeling non-demi's health? Wot?
    L2Tune?
  • Oh god I thought my campus internet had failed me, and thus made me look like a total idiot for flaking out in the middle of a Domoth fight. But it's a global thing. WHEW.

• Question is, of course, if it broke server-side too, or just the network connection...
    edited January 2014
    Munsia said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Morkarion said:
    L2Tune?
    It is tuned... with options between electrical and cold, what exactly am I tuning to, though? :P

EDIT: Give me poison or asphyx... I still don't get why aeros don't actually get any asphyx damage... being air mages....

Elanorwen said:
    Morkarion said:
    They aren't that tiny.

Also you're hitting a shadowdancer healer. DMP + excellent recovery means you're doing bugger all.

Anyway remember what I said about "This lag isn't unplayable just yet?" Now  it is.

• Back up again! And the first thing I see is:

Usurping Uruk, Kelly struggles to claim the Brilliant Sceptre of Life.

:D
    That's rude...as hell
    I want my experience back.
  • I kinda have a sneaky suspicion the DC was related to the lag we've been having lately. It's nearly all been starting at between hh:30 and hh:45, and this DC happened at hh:31 according to Zou's post above. Could be a coincidence, of course, but...
  • edited January 2014
    It definitely wasn't the normal server lag we experience either as -every single one- of our Domoth team signed back in dead from the Domoth mobs spawning.

Could we please get some information about what's causing all of this and/or a fix in place? With ascension coming up soon I really do hope it's a higher priority to handle than the rework.