Lag

13»

Comments

• Also lag in New Zealand
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Damnit, now I have to log back in and start afk'ing again.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • The disconnect earlier was something IRE-wide, afaik a routing issue somewhere beyond what we have control over.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    Neos said:
    Damnit, now I have to log back in and start afk'ing again.
    Crisis averted. Also, I haven't been seeing as much lag myself lately, which is weird, since last week or the week before, it was a constant thing.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Thanks, Ieptix!
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Elanorwen said:
    Munsia said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Morkarion said:
    Everything went boom, just as we were about to start round 3.
    Ehhhhh... wtb more ranged casters to kill the tinies... not sure why I'm doing so little damage lately, too... barely hitting for 10% of a faeling non-demi's health? Wot?
    L2Tune?
    It is tuned... with options between electrical and cold, what exactly am I tuning to, though? :P

EDIT: Give me poison or asphyx... I still don't get why aeros don't actually get any asphyx damage... being air mages....
    Aquamancers have cold/asphyx If I remember correctly (Makes sense since an aquamancer effectively drowns their target =p)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Cold/asphyx/blunt, actually.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
    There was a time when Aquamancers had Fire, because that made sense.

Signature!

Celina said:
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Scalding?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Not that this isn't continually off topic, but...Asphyxiation isn't that great of a damage source...and anything against Nightkiss has always been lackluster. You should try Electrical 100%
  • Right now is a perfect example of the terrible lag going on.  I can't hold conversations let alone play the game at present.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    A wild Iasmos sweeps through the thread
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Figured I would drop this log from two hours earlier in here.

10s lag this time though.
    There were a couple of minor hold ups again after that, but I'll be honest that was not fun, at all. It's the longest single spike I've seen so far that didn't result in a disconnect.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

http://pastebin.com/D1TDYCJm

Roughly 9am GMT. Some minor spikes leading up to ^ that.

I mean sure it makes bashing interesting when you log back in 20 seconds later with no defences and everything still hitting you, but really it makes the game :Notfun:

And as an addenum there's roughly 3-4 second spikes on regular intervals occuring for the past 45 minutes since.

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    4351h, 6584m, 6912e, 10p exk-01-21-2014 @ 05:03:44 say Something interesting??
    You ask, "Something interesting?"
    4351h, 6584m, 6912e, 10p exk-01-21-2014 @ 05:03:58 

Stop that lag, I'm only talking.
  • Since I received the question from multiple sources, and I'd rather answer only once: Unless you are doing it approximately once every .000000000000000001 seconds, using GMCP to ping the server is completely negligible in terms of processing time. For comparison, pressing enter to send an empty command every second is also going to take a completely negligible amount of processing time, and is going to take longer than responding to a ping request by at least an order of magnitude, quite possibly two.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • edited January 2014
    Ieptix said:
    Not particularly. Information from you guys that would help in pinpointing the problems would include, say, a particular command you've found that consistently causes a notable lag. Based on the profiling results I've got, though, I don't think that's a likely culprit.

EDIT: As an update, I've found some other routines that seem to be taking a rather larger portion of CPU time than they really should. However, addressing them is will quite possibly require some non-trivial rewrites of a few things. I'm taking a closer look at the relevant systems, and I'm going to talk with Estarra about this next time I get a chance.
    Here's something that bugs me. If the server, when profiling, timestamped incoming commands and then logged the first command to break lag within a set period, which takes over a certain amount of time to complete. Then it would seem a profile system could work along the lines of the following. All commands added to a temp table (short buffer) push/pop. Then the log could list a handful of preceding commands. Something along these lines would catch a certain type of error, though not all.

edit: I think I have found a bug that seems pretty reproducible and causes a several second lag spike. I'll finish documenting the steps and will bug it.
  • Ieptix said:
    Rivius said:
    Have there been proactive attempts to find the major causes of lag from last ascension and see how we can reduce it this time? Ascension is by far the biggest event of the year, and it's extremely important to keep it smooth.
    I couldn't tell you for certain, since I've not been around since last year's ascension. Unless profiling is being run during Ascension, though, it's difficult for us to see where the bottlenecks are. The problem with running profiling during ascension is that profiling means increased lag, since there's a bit of extra overhead on every single function call. Not a huge issue on its own, but realize that there are a -lot- of function calls. As an example, in an hour and 20 minutes of profiling I ran last night, there are a number of functions that were called over 150 million times, one of them with over 800 million calls. And that's just on page one.

I can say that one of the things I'm looking into has a pretty decent shot at being a non-insignificant cause of lag come ascension, though, since it's linked to part of the processing for sending out gmcp char.status, which gets done a lot more with more people around, and especially if there's a lot of prompts being sent out (such as in group combat situations). Definitely looking to get this fixed ASAP.
    I have wondered if turning off things like accessing help on astral or some of the ambients might help and if so, would they help that much?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    *cough*guardgreetingspam*cough*
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Everiine said:

*cough*guardgreetingspam*cough*

Because an event that fires only when someone walks into the room and has almost no processing requirements (a % chance to have a reaction and then an affiliation check) is definitely going to be a major source of lag.

There is a significant difference between "spam" and "process that consumes server resources".
    Hey, I can dream.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Everiine said:
    Hey, I can dream.
    Never mind that the moon maiden and the elfen guard at Mother are creepy and quite lecherous...

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Elanorwen said:
    Everiine said:
    Hey, I can dream.
    Never mind that the moon maiden and the elfen guard at Mother are creepy and quite lecherous...
    Yes, yes he is.

• http://pastebin.com/QrPtXC4V

Multiple lagspikes while bashing leading to me dying. Server lag was up to 5 seconds. You can see me mashing a key to GTFO but of course that does not help. The server just totally goes unresponsive out of nowhere, this was at the end of an hour of bashing with no issues at all. I don't mean to bitch too much, but considering this is not the first time I die while bashing due to lag, this just kills my will to play as each death basically resets me to where I was when I started. Why bother if a single mob can kill you if lag arrives at the wrong time, right?

Not sure if related, but at the same time a novice was talking about not having their guide. They could not call or greet it. Could some code error in the recent overhaul of the newbie intro be the culprit? Might be a coincidence, or the newbie just doing it wrong, but it seemed just odd to me.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.