State of Roleplay

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I would sort of agree that no lore is "true" lore unless the admin adopt and approve it. However, there have been many, many instances in which player created and driven lore is picked up and incorporated. Gwylifar way back started this Warrior Spirit thing, and after many, many years, the Warrior Spirits found their way into the collegium quests and became an accepted part of Lusternian lore.

My advice is always, always, make up your own lore and run with it until you are told not to. That does happen, too, so make sure the lore you create fits with the rest of the lore. It may get adopted, it may get rejected, or it may hang in limbo, but it is well worth the effort.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    In any case his complaint regarding the Libellus is actually a theory that I boast often. My opinion is my opinion. Noone stated Divine Mandate is required to make it true, merely that noone has any proof that Aiakon, who was notably insane, didn't actually make it up. 
  • edited February 2014

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• Lavinya said:
    Keep the plotting, scheming, backstabbing and vitriol in character and it will be a far more enriching story for everyone. Conflict is entertaining. Metagaming is not. It's frustrating and unhealthy.
    This is so true. Reading through Lavy's post I kept asking myself, 'what can I do right now as a player to help facilitate an environment where people enjoy roleplaying?' 'What are the ingredients for promoting a healthy overall game?'
  • Munsia said:
    Revan said:

Edit: Also, how can Gorgulu and his link to the Geomancers be  "remnant of player RP" if the guildhall itself, which is created by admin, specifically facilitates such roleplay?
    Guildhalls are changed at whim by the guild members and most of the time are player built, not admin built. 
    Is this true? Can players change their guildhalls -at a whim- by guild members without any reasoning behind it? I know that rooms/items can be added by the Patron if they are paid for by the Guild. I have yet to see anything -removed- or -changed-. Anyone have any examples?

I would definitely like one of the active Divines/volunteers to chime in if they can...
  • Leolamins said:
    We as a community get to choose our tolerance levels to IC or OOC.  We get to choose if we remain IC or if we have OOC interactions (@Delphas is a great example).  This discussion should be focused on the level/quality of roleplay WE WANT.......speak up.
    I want OUR level/quality of roleplay to be at or higher than what is portrayed in the Game of Thrones. Is it too much to ask?
  • It's false. The last time a guildhall was completely changed was when the Celestine GH was rebuilt, and that took over a year of planning and very intricate RP to help facilitate it.
  • Xarcon said:
    Leolamins said:
    We as a community get to choose our tolerance levels to IC or OOC.  We get to choose if we remain IC or if we have OOC interactions (@Delphas is a great example).  This discussion should be focused on the level/quality of roleplay WE WANT.......speak up.
    I want OUR level/quality of roleplay to be at or higher than what is portrayed in the Game of Thrones. Is it too much to ask?
    From me....yes

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• NochtNocht Glomdoring
    Guilds can always request changes, but there's an associated cost based on the extent of the change.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA

Leolamins said:
    I pride myself in making simple observations....so let me have a shot. 

Eventually people will take the easiest option; unless they have a driver or a motivator they will just take the easiest path.  All of us can role play when we want too.  God even I have been known to RP.  If this was the expectation that I must do this all the time I would.  Simple fact is I do not need to stay in character all the time to play Lusternia.  In other MUD games I have played (which have facebook pages too :o ), the player base enforce the IC rules and you need to stay IC to play.

Whoa... unless in "OOC clans" or Tells, everything else should be IC--that's game policy. HELP OOC. All of our interactions inside the game itself should be IC. This is perhaps part of the problem--people assume that IC is optional. It isn't.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I said that nothing is lore until it is admin endorsed. I can write pages about how the Nekotai is a Hello-Kitty cult and nothing will come out of it until the admin endorse it. If they do, it becomes lore. If the admin endorsed the Gorgulu or whatever link with the Geomancers, lo and behold, it's lore.

Did they?

If they did, you have a strong position with which to argue for its reinstatement. If they didn't, you have the same position with anyone else's opinion. People are free to express an opposite opinion - that is not a "deterioration" of roleplay. If you have a strong position with which to argue against it, take advantage of it, bring it up, and convince people. If all you do is point at them, label them as "hecklers" and beseech everyone on the forums for a "solution" as though the only recourse is to root them out, then nothing will move forward.

I don't think there is a "defensive" tone in this discussion - the state or roleplay is, as the premise of this thread, in a fairly horrible state. My opinion is the opposite of said premise: I am highly sceptical of that. Even though I am sceptical, I am presenting arguments in reply to the premise, assuming that it is true: that there is somehow a problem with the state of roleplay in this game. The reasons, and the suggestions given, are neither logical nor constructive. Accusing the entire problem (assuming there is one) on OOC mediums is taking aim at a red herring. Suggesting that people should only roleplay or spend all their in-game time in very specific ways as described (no manse-afk, need to create and participate in player driven, public news post events etc) is unreasonable.

OOC mediums is a red herring because, even if you delete facebook, IRC and OOC clans from existence, metagaming will still take place. The lack of IC/OOC separation displayed by metagamers is not due to the existence of these mediums. They may facilitate metagamers who wish to metagame maliciously (harass specific people, ruin reputations due to an OOC motivation, giving advantages to alternates because the player behind the alt is a friend), but that doesn't mean you should prosecute the medium. Note that the three examples I listed (tip of the metagaming iceberg) all can be done with or without OOC mediums. OOC medium can also facilitate roleplay opportunities. Using an OOC medium to plan a roleplaying session is a thing, and it can result in very fulfilling, very enriching experiences, not just for those who did the actual planning, but also for those who participate in the session as passer-bys. Note that large scale player driven events require such OOC coordination by the very nature of their scale - ask any admin, read the admin blogs. Events that aim to inspire and involve more than a small handful of people always, always, always requires advance planning and someone to bounce ideas off of.

Sure, one of the major draws of Lusternia RP is spontaneity. You walk in on a person singing a song at the Master Ravenwood. You introduce yourself and find out he's a harbinger. You fall in love and marry a character played by a person who you have never met in real life, never talked to outside of the IC setting. You aren't even sure if he's male. That's spontaneous roleplay, and that's one of the things that Lusternia can offer. However, that doesn't invalidate pre-planned roleplaying sessions from being every bit as attractive and enriching. And OOC mediums are integral, essential to people who wish to coordinate such sessions. I'm talking about intricate planning, even down to the general storyline of the session. (I'm going to attack you sometime in the middle of that. Maybe you could consider reactions A, B, and C. I will do D if you do A, I will do E if you do B etc etc) There is nothing wrong with this kind of roleplaying.

OOC mediums aside, back to the hecklers and people who disagree with you. If everything in the game went the way you wanted it to, then this wouldn't be multi-player. The fact that it is multi-player means that you will have to, and should probably want to, interact with other people, especially people who disagree with you. If the (admin-backed) tradition of Gorgulu's link to the geomancers have fallen into disuse, start trying to convince people otherwise. There's nothing wrong with people forgetting about the past - that's fairly natural, I'd say. Reviving a tradition is every bit as fulfilling an RP as is... continuing a tradition that never died out. If you're going to point at people who were not taught, and call them "hecklers" as though they are somehow destroying the state of RP, and then quit the game citing it is a problem, guess what, this problem will never get solved. If you're going to outcast, dismiss or otherwise belittle people who disagree with you, then you're creating a close circle within which people cannot enter to interact with you, unless they meet your requirements, whether it be subscribing to an old book in the library, or not having a speech impediment.

What you expect of roleplay in the game is entirely at your discretion. But you start treading into areas you have no right to be in when you start dictating the actions of the people around you. What is acceptable or not acceptable roleplaying behavior is defined by, again, the admin. Like the case with Gorgulu, if the admin endorse it officially, then it is an official rule. If they don't, it is not, and anyone is free to do anything they want. Leaders do not, I repeat, do not need to log in every day to create roleplay opportunities for you. They are already expected to handle enemying, upkeep guards, update help files, tend to newbies, handle funds, and coordinate the people they appointed to do these things. They aren't your private atmosphere generator. You didn't vote them in so that they can create a roleplaying environment that is free from any disagreements with your opinions. They are not beholden to play the game the way you want them to. Not until the admin say they are.

If the admin one day put in a rule that says, "anyone holding an elected office is no longer allowed to be logged in the game if they are not visible and roleplaying" then yes, your demands would be reasonable. Until then, no.

• Like anything else, OOC clans can be used well or used badly. I like communicating with some people through OOC mediums because it helps better separate whatever is going on in the game between our characters. If all you knew about someone was that your character hated theirs, it can be very easy to assume that you'd also hate the player- and that's always been a problem in roleplay, regardless of how good we may think we are at separating IC and OOC.

There are misuses of it too, obviously, but people who intend to metagame don't do it because of OOC clans/outside chats- they do it to gain an advantage over other players, and they'll always find a way to do so. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • edited February 2014
    Everiine said:

Leolamins said:
    I pride myself in making simple observations....so let me have a shot. 

Eventually people will take the easiest option; unless they have a driver or a motivator they will just take the easiest path.  All of us can role play when we want too.  God even I have been known to RP.  If this was the expectation that I must do this all the time I would.  Simple fact is I do not need to stay in character all the time to play Lusternia.  In other MUD games I have played (which have facebook pages too :o ), the player base enforce the IC rules and you need to stay IC to play.

Whoa... unless in "OOC clans" or Tells, everything else should be IC--that's game policy. HELP OOC. All of our interactions inside the game itself should be IC. This is perhaps part of the problem--people assume that IC is optional. It isn't.
    Not arguing that, you misunderstand me.  Let me try to elaborate further.  The discussions are technically 'IC' but the dialogue has little effort, you are just talking like you normally would.  While that is accepted as the norm nothing is going to change.  At the moment the only difference between OOC and IC is what you say not how you say it.  If everyone decides the level of interaction needs to be at a higher level, are prepared to put the effort in, and interact at that standard, people will step up.

• Forsooth good Lamins of clan Leo, doth thou provoketh discourse amongst the Roled tribe of Play? Verily thou set angst and scorn to spread henceforth across these bitter, ravaged lands. Away, ye foul dogglescruff! Put thy sword unto thine mouth and squibble with the lore of ages!
  • @Revan and the other half of the player base troll

• We could look at how other MUDs handle these problems. Some of the ones I've been on have had the ooc/ic barrier was cast-iron. Any merging of those two for ulterior gains was treated with a warning, then permaban. Also, muds where you gained experience by roleplaying only. That definitely jumpstarted it.

I don't know the state of the other cities and such but so far nobody in Glomdoring has complained about my roleplaying, and they seem to encourage it. I can go on for long speeches about Night, Crow, Glomdoring and people go 'well said'.

Alternatively, just have stricter rules on metagaming, including taking out problems on one person's character on another character of theirs. That sort of thing would not be tolerated in some other muds.

Lusternia is great for lore though.
    Retired.
  • Lerad said:
    I said that nothing is lore until it is admin endorsed. I can write pages about how the Nekotai is a Hello-Kitty cult and nothing will come out of it until the admin endorse it. If they do, it becomes lore. If the admin endorsed the Gorgulu or whatever link with the Geomancers, lo and behold, it's lore.

Did they?

If they did, you have a strong position with which to argue for its reinstatement. If they didn't, you have the same position with anyone else's opinion. People are free to express an opposite opinion - that is not a "deterioration" of roleplay. If you have a strong position with which to argue against it, take advantage of it, bring it up, and convince people. If all you do is point at them, label them as "hecklers" and beseech everyone on the forums for a "solution" as though the only recourse is to root them out, then nothing will move forward.

I don't think there is a "defensive" tone in this discussion - the state or roleplay is, as the premise of this thread, in a fairly horrible state. My opinion is the opposite of said premise: I am highly sceptical of that. Even though I am sceptical, I am presenting arguments in reply to the premise, assuming that it is true: that there is somehow a problem with the state of roleplay in this game. The reasons, and the suggestions given, are neither logical nor constructive. Accusing the entire problem (assuming there is one) on OOC mediums is taking aim at a red herring. Suggesting that people should only roleplay or spend all their in-game time in very specific ways as described (no manse-afk, need to create and participate in player driven, public news post events etc) is unreasonable.

I started this thread with the intention of focusing the conflict argument on roleplay. I felt that it was a reasonable discussion because people have been complaining about it for years. Simply put, I blame it on the playerbase. Reading your post multiple times, I can see you leave no room for discussion and clearly I am in the wrong - There is nothing wrong with roleplay and all this is in my head. Players are free to conduct themselves however they feel like until the admin step in. I am being unreasonable and over-demanding when I say that players adhere to their character's background the moment they log in. If this is what you are saying in a nutshell @Lerad, then I am very happy to be your 'wrong'.

Whether you agree with me or not the reality is the POPULATION of the game has shrunk and a majority of players are not coming back which I find is unfortunate.

I do not agree that the admin should have a sole say in what is acceptable roleplaying or not. And yes, I am suggesting that players start taking responsibility and define what is acceptable and what is not. Should a player be logging in everyday? No, but the organization should come to a consensus on what is acceptable 'activity level' for the said leader.

When I talk about player-driven events, I am referring to org events like the Bloodfaire for Magnagora. It didn't happen because guess what... the playerbase for the organization didn't take responsibility.

In regards to @Kethaera's post about using OOC medium to gain an advantage over other players, it is something that the playerbase can control and monitor. But it doesn't happen because people are <insert nice word> - competitive. This strikes me odd that this being a 'game' and people take it -personal-. My attitude is Lusternia is a 'story' where we get to write things in. I take offense when individuals want to come in and 're-write' entire pages of lore with the argument that they don't like it. I have no problems with people expanding it, developing it, coming up with their own interpretations, etc.

In my last thread, I complained that the administration was focusing more on 'trinkets' and not moving the story along. The suggestion (not entirely mine) I put forward was get a 'paid' writer. But then I thought about it for a while and came to the conclusion 'why wait?' (TANGENT - It took George R.R. Martin 6 years to come out with his last book... I cannot imagine the amount of complaints/trolling/angry fans he received during those years.)

Lusternia has a severe lack of leaders/positive role models. My hope is that with all the noise I've made people can go back, think about ways to roleplay, and reinvigorate their organization.
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I did not state there is nothing wrong with the state of roleplay. I stated I was sceptical. I, in fact, stated that my arguments are founded on the assumption that there IS a problem - I am arguing from the position of IF there is a problem. I said your argument was illogical, not that the conclusion was wrong. I said that your suggestions were not constructive, not that there is no problem to suggest solutions for. I never stated that you were wrong about the state of roleplay in any of my posts. I certainly did say that players are free to conduct themselves however they want until the admin dictate otherwise. And this is an RP enforced mud, meaning that it is already a rule that people roleplay. That players adhere to their background when they log in is something I assumed is already a rule. I never said that you are being unreasonable for suggesting so. To act as a character in an IC setting is something everyone should do. And talking on OOC mediums doesn't mean that they aren't being IC.

If I had no intention of changing my mind if you put forth an argument that convinced me, I wouldn't have wasted my time participating in this thread and typing out an argument of my own. You seem to be labouring under the impression that when someone confronts you with an opposite opinion, either you or he must be absolutely wrong. That's not true in the game, and that's not true here either. You can blame it on the playerbase, but I'm challenging you to put forth arguments about it. I've read yours, and expressed what I found to be weaknesses in it. If you can think about it and come up with improved versions of your argument (or find weaknesses in mine), everyone gains a little more understanding and we all come out the better for it.

Your opening post was fairly unreasonable, yes. "People use OOC mediums! It is one of the roots of our problems! How dare people ignore an integral part of the Geomancer's guild? They're not even trying! Anyone who wishes to play better buck up, pull up their socks, and educate themselves! The fact that people aren't doing so is what is wrong with our game! It must be stamped out! Here's my list of suggestions of what must be done!"

That may not be the exact wording you used, but that's a pretty fair and accurate summary of your opening post, I would like to believe. At least, it'd be more accurate than what you've summarized my post as. The reality of the population is something no one can say with absolute surety unless the admin release information we don't know. It certainly feels like the population has shrunk. But it may have not. Have you ever considered this possibility? A "majority" of players are not coming back? Now that is a statement that is even less reliable than saying the population has shrunk. While I can agree to a certain extent with the former (I would even argue for it), the latter is something that is far too subjective to say anything about.

Social vigilantism can be an effective way of promoting a good atmosphere in a society. Self-policing also frees up admin time for other stuff. However, you must remember that no matter what your justification for self-policing is, there are limits. When someone is being apparently malicious, there is no doubt the community should band together to censure him. However, when your suggestions for censure includes dictating how someone should play the game, when you start dictating a minimum level of entry to roleplay (Read this and this and this. And don't come back until you've understood what it means to be a Geomancer.) you stray deep into "unreasonable" territory. I do not see how this is a difficult concept to grasp. There are things you should not be enforcing on people in general, no matter the motivation, no matter the justification.

The admin of all the IRE games have traditionally, and will always, have the final say on anything in the game, including right down to what those pair of shoes your character is wearing is worth. If they would turn around tomorrow and say that the Nekotai are a cult that worships Hello-Kitty, then that's that, and nothing I say will change that fact. Obviously, we have trust that the admin won't do such a thing. And that is why we give them the authority to dictate the rules of the game: they are the admin. The fact that they do endorse player made content, going so far as to incorporate it into lore, shows that we are not wrong to entrust the final authority to them. The fact that they do not overstep said authority and always take a cautionary approach to changing the status quo is proof of the fact that they are cognizant both of the impact of their authority as well of their desire to maintain the game in a healthy state.

The admin do not ban leaders who do not roleplay. And they definitely should not. A leader should be free to do whatever he finds is fun, when he wants to do so. A leader should never be forced to have a quota of login time in which he must be roleplaying. This doesn't mean that there are no consequences for not doing so. The admin have endorsed and sanctioned ways for players to replace leaders. This is sufficient, this should be sufficient. We can contest and remove leaders who are visibly doing badly. What more do you want than what we already have? Anything more draconian is unreasonable - you simply cannot write down a rule that says, "if you become a leader you MUST put in 10 hours per week talking to people." The lack of such rules is not causing our roleplay to deteriorate, and putting in such rules do nothing do alleviate any problems with roleplaying.

• edited February 2014
    Lerad said:

However, when your suggestions for censure includes dictating how someone should play the game, when you start dictating a minimum level of entry to roleplay (Read this and this and this. And don't come back until you've understood what it means to be a Geomancer.) you stray deep into "unreasonable" territory. I do not see how this is a difficult concept to grasp. There are things you should not be enforcing on people in general, no matter the motivation, no matter the justification.

Gonna disagree with this simply because that's how the Nihilists did it for the longest time (until a few years ago). They had a very high "RP bar", and they flourished because of it. Your assumption that enforcing RP standards on others is a negative thing is rubbish. The only thing it does is weed out those who give a shit (ie: those who you want in your org) from those who don't (people you don't really want in your org). To have an RP enforced game be lenient on the enforcement of said RP is quite silly, and I think you know better than to claim such (don't lie, that's exactly what you're claiming). Like it or not, there -are- standards of RP that people should and must adhere to, and to hear you say otherwise speaks volumes of your integrity to the environment you propose to desire.
  • Xarcon said:
    Lusternia has a severe lack of leaders/positive role models. My hope is that with all the noise I've made people can go back, think about ways to roleplay, and reinvigorate their organization.

I haven't yet written in this thread, it's mostly entertaining to see what everyone is saying, but this is the something I do have to point out that you're not entirely correct on.

Some of the cities may lack a high population, a high pk population or timezones just get screwed, but in truth, there are plenty of positive role models and great roleplayers in the game no matter which city you're from. You don't have to roleplay with only those in your organization, if you find their leadership or roleplay lacking.

Also, I find that your posts along with several others haven't actually said anything about how to roleplay or how to generate it, et cetera. I find it is mostly about placing blame on certain aspects of the game itself.

So, honestly, if you've got real ideas on both of those, why don't you give some tips, hints, suggestions? Those are what we really do need.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Haezon said:
    Elayde said:
    So, honestly, if you've got real ideas on both of those, why don't you give some tips, hints, suggestions? Those are what we really do need.
    Alrighty, I shall give it a shot. For those who want to improve their own roleplay:

-If you don't have a family, describe your characters 'parents', their names, and so on. Think about secondary RP, basically.
    -Come up with a backstory if you haven't already, and then look at that backstory every now and then to refresh yourself.
    -Emote rituals and skills when possible (Intense pvp fights, obviously exception). I love a penumbra every now and then in the forest, but I prefer it when it's prefaced with a speech or something to Night before it happens. Emotes don't take long, and can really improve things a lot. Also more fun to read.
    -Read more lore and materials already there. The histories are chockful and interesting. Read them again if you have already.
    -Think about the philosophical aspects of your guild/city's beliefs.
    -Add some drama to things, and go over the top sometimes. 'Oh no, those villains have killed my pet wyvern. How could they do such a thing to an innocent creature' or 'They killed my wyvern, I'll kill their families'.

If you want to try and get people to roleplay more:

-Draw them into discussions about important figures or denizens (Refer back to philosophy aspect). You might be surprised.
    -Comment or start a conversation to do with an event that happens every now and then. If it's the hundredth time Maxyenka was raised again, then comment, or say 'It will be easy for our plans to go ahead if he is that easy to kill' or, you know, if the spire of dio is raised, complain or praise whoever did it. If people se you having fun with it, then they'll try joining in.
    -Socialise more, especially with novices. Those with alts, you should be able to have five deep characters rather than one deep character and 4 boring ones.
    -Hold contests for writings or stage or whatever to generate interest.
    -Push certain buttons. If you know they have a strong opinion on this topic, then ask them about the topic, ask why they care so much, and so on.
    -Put more empathy into things, so if you had to go on a rabbit genocide, lament how terrible it was that you had no choice. There's a denizen in Stewartsville who gives dead chickens mini funerals if you give them to him. More stuff like this!
    -Tell novices about the amazing aspects of your side. They might then ask others for more information, and it snowballs.

Brought to you by the guy who talks too damn much.

EDIT: Sorry @Zouviqil that I didn't read your post before submitting mine, but hopefully it doesn't look like I just copied your post, haha.

Great minds think alike, perfectly fine. No harm done. Yours is also a heck of a lot more succinct than mine.
  • Thanks, I hope more people will read these! They're very helpful!
  • edited February 2014
    Revan said:
    Gonna disagree with this simply because that's how the Nihilists did it for the longest time (until a few years ago). They had a very high "RP bar", and they flourished because of it. Your assumption that enforcing RP standards on others is a negative thing is rubbish. The only thing it does is weed out those who give a shit (ie: those who you want in your org) from those who don't (people you don't really want in your org). To have an RP enforced game be lenient on the enforcement of said RP is quite silly, and I think you know better than to claim such (don't lie, that's exactly what you're claiming). Like it or not, there -are- standards of RP that people should and must adhere to, and to hear you say otherwise speaks volumes of your integrity to the environment you propose to desire.
    You need to take some reading comprehension lessons. Not only did I never say anything about enforcing RP standards being "negative", I actually stated, literally, that expecting "players [to] adhere to their background when they log in is something I assumed is already a rule. I never said that [Xarcon is] being unreasonable for suggesting so." In my post, I also stated very specifically that "Social vigilantism can be an effective way of promoting a good atmosphere in a society."

What I DID say is that "There are things you should not be enforcing on people in general, no matter the motivation, no matter the justification."

Requiring a minimum level of requirement before someone is allowed to roleplay is ridiculous in the most egregrious sense. It is basically what credits are to combat - if you don't have that minimum requirement, you simply cannot participate in combat. In this case, the requirement is entirely arbitrary, dictated by players with all their bias and personal stakes, and it basically disbars all newbies from roleplaying. "You want to talk to me? No, shut up, go and read this before you can play this game."

In a word, no. If there's a toxic mindset which should be policed by players, it's this type of exclusive thinking. No one is good enough for you unless they meet your standards. Actually, no one is good enough to roleplay at all, unless they meet those standards. Well, you know what? Your standards are not welcome in this game. I will grab every opportunity I can to interact with every newbie that catches my interest, whether or not he thinks Glomdoring is a purple coloured mexico or not. I will relish every time I have to talk to a novice about how the Nekotai don't worship Hello-Kitty. I will take pleasure any time an old Nekotai comes back to debate with me about what the guild should be defined by. I will not exclude others and demand they meet any standard, even spelling ones. Even if they can't put a full sentence together without grammar mistakes, I see no reason to turn them away.

If you want to live in your private little world of everything-goes-your-way and only interact with people who can type 3 words a second, have an average word count of 8 per sentence, and have read all the Elder God Books along with another handful of obscure texts in your guild library written real-life years ago, by all means. Just don't look around cross-eyed and confused when people tell you you're the cause of roleplaying problems in this game.

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Random notation but I've never witnessed or been apart of any roleplay surrounding the fighter caste. 

The main pvpers of the game don't seem to roleplay with each other often. Sure, they roleplay with their families and the noncoms, and the newbies, but amongst each other? I just don't get to see it happen :/