State of Roleplay

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Munsia said:
    Random notation but I've never witnessed or been apart of any roleplay surrounding the fighter caste. 

The main pvpers of the game don't seem to roleplay with each other often. Sure, they roleplay with their families and the noncoms, and the newbies, but amongst each other? I just don't get to see it happen :/
    Solution: Get a PvP family... that said, you're right... but then again, to me... PvP is a bit of a chore, especially when you have to win a meld fight against 5 other melders on your own. Do I want to look at say.... Shedrin's (as an example) mug during the rest of the day? Not really, no. Anyways, at some point, people just start thinking that they've said all that needs saying and don't need to chat and snuggle afterward.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    No, not snuggle and stuff. Who does that? Disgusting. In any case I mean more of the gruff rp afforded to veterans, or the comradery outside of the coordination. The most contact I have with any pvper ends up in a discussion on pvp, and nothing more. 
  • @Munsia

to paraphrase Mysrai: Be the change you want to see!

Don't see fighter RP? Start some up! After a raid, or a domoth, or what have you, invite your cadre out for a drink at the local tavern!  Start it up if you want to participate in it.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Probably because you've openly stated on numerous occasions that you don't RP at all. I've RP'd with PKers.
  • edited February 2014
    Parua said:
    @Munsia

Don't see fighter RP? Start some up! After a raid, or a domoth, or what have you, invite your cadre out for a drink at the local tavern!  Start it up if you want to participate in it.
    This is precisely the sort of thing which needs to be done. I mean, sure, the fact that you will always come back from the dead should not be known to your character. The fates won't always be willing to send you back as far as your character knows. If you're having that drink and someone is praying, you can go even further and hold a toast to 'here's to blah, he fought bravely, and i hope the Fates spare him' or something. Then it starts becoming more like a fantasy game.

Even more hilarious if, while drinking, something else happens which requires your attentiin causing you to go 'ah shit, i didn't even finish my drink'. Cue Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins and dramatic entrance.

In addition, I see a lack of people, including myself (Which I am remedying), treat this ascension as if it's mardi gras. Guys, A DIRTY BIG SOULLESS IS GOING TO DESTROY OUR WORLD AND OM NOM NOM US ALL!!1!!111!1!!. I know there's been about 6 or 7 ascensions, but your characters should be worried that this time Kethuru will break through.

Get rid of the apathy, guys.
    Retired.
    edited February 2014
    Xenthos said:
    Starting off an in-character question with the words, "Hey derpwaffle" also does not really encourage people to roleplay with you.
    I don't view you as a pker :/ I put you in Arimisia's catagory. 

There's a fine line of difference between people like myself, Morkarion, Shuyin, Daedalion, Silvanus, Thoros, Synkarin. Where our main purpose of this game is centered around the pvp.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited February 2014
    Note that Demigods do not meet the Fates and are not threatened with thread cutting; as long as they have essence they can revive themselves. Ascendants also cannot actually be killed. You destroy the body but it automatically begins to reform itself and will be recreated in 9 minutes time if you do nothing.

At that level, ICly death really just does not have the same import that it does for others. That is also kind of a neat thing though, I have had some fun roleplay discussing "death" and how it is experienced differently by various individuals.
  • Xenthos said:
    Note that Demigods do not meet the Fates and are not threatened with thread cutting; as long as they have essence they can revive themselves. Ascendants also cannot actually be killed. You destroy the body but it automatically begins to reform itself and will be recreated in 9 minutes time if you do nothing. At that level, ICly death really just does not have the same import that it does for others. That is also kind of a neat thing though, I have had some fun roleplay discussing "death" and how it is experienced differently by various individuals.
    But you still have the threat that if you lose your essence you get shunted back to 98 circle, right? Not only that, but apparently, the life expectancy of Titans is about as longlasting as the guy in the red shirt on Stark Trek.

I like this 'discussing death' thing though. Sort of like, you've forgotten what 'death' was like almost. You could even do a 'who wants to live forever' type plot and lament how you would like the option to die when you want to, but instead it will take you a long time.

Other examples of roleplaying such a thing would be 'Death is so simple for non-demigods', 'If I don't fear death, have I failed as a warrior?' 'have I forgotten what it was like to be a mortal?'
    Retired.
    I don't even.... You are bothered by the fact that PVPers don't RP with you, but you call non PKers derpwaffles. I guess it's okay to not try with them because they're not your intended audience?
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I RP often.

I just don't bother with certain individuals.

So don't bring me into this conversation of "fighter" RP and people who don't.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    edited February 2014
    Haezon said:

But you still have the threat that if you lose your essence you get shunted back to 98 circle, right? Not only that, but apparently, the life expectancy of Titans is about as longlasting as the guy in the red shirt on Stark Trek.

I like this 'discussing death' thing though. Sort of like, you've forgotten what 'death' was like almost. You could even do a 'who wants to live forever' type plot and lament how you would like the option to die when you want to, but instead it will take you a long time.

Other examples of roleplaying such a thing would be 'Death is so simple for non-demigods', 'If I don't fear death, have I failed as a warrior?' 'have I forgotten what it was like to be a mortal?'
    Demigods have that threat. Ascendants do not. Ascendants can die millions of times at 0 essence and have no bad effects. The only way for an Ascendant to get back to 98 is to be a Vernal Ascendant and get it stripped somehow (going back to a demigod). TAs will never lose Ascendancy and can thus never actually die, at least to anything the Basin has to offer (Gods / Soulless are theoretically a different matter).
  • Huh. That seems a bit... off. But, at least you can still fear something: the Soulless. The Divine are terrified of them, you should be too, logically. If your character is NOT (Generally speaking), then make that a part of their personality. Rash, arrogant. The first people to die in a horror movie because of overconfidence.
    Retired.
    Not everyone RP's the same Haezon.

Why should I fear the Soulless when 9 Vernals did what hundreds of Elders couldn't do?

Why should I fear the Soulless when I am apart of Morgfyre's order, and he's eaten a couple hundred Soulless?

Again, this is one of the problems with RP. You are assuming too much, that characters have to be like something because you perceive it that way.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Haezon said:
    This is precisely the sort of thing which needs to be done. I mean, sure, the fact that you will always come back from the dead should not be known to your character. The fates won't always be willing to send you back as far as your character knows. If you're having that drink and someone is praying, you can go even further and hold a toast to 'here's to blah, he fought bravely, and i hope the Fates spare him' or something. Then it starts becoming more like a fantasy game.
    Um... whose fantasy game? There are entire fantasy books written on the concept of "revolving door afterlife", and how it would actually affect people who live in such worlds. Why would the fact that certain people(including ourselves) -always- come back from the dead not be known to our characters? And for the Harbingers, at least, the fact that mortals can and do come back from the dead all the time is a major part of the roleplay. I don't really like the idea of ignoring fundamental world constructs for the sake of 'this is how death should/does work in other worlds.' Death doesn't work that way in Lusternia. Why pretend otherwise?

Honestly, I want to know, and to what extent people see the intersection between game design and character perspective. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
    Silvanus said:
    I RP often.

I just don't bother with certain individuals.

So don't bring me into this conversation of "fighter" RP and people who don't.

Name other fighters you actively rp with then. 
    Morgfyre ate lesser soulless, like the one Fain and the traitors captured. He's not exactly going toe to toe with Kethuru. It took primal gods like keph and dracwhatever to challenge the big uns. I mean, you're more than free not fear the soulless if that's your character's angle. But the morgfyre thing is more "I'm crazy," than a position supported by lore.
    Celina said:
    Morgfyre ate lesser soulless, like the one Fain and the traitors captured. He's not exactly going toe to toe with Kethuru. It took primal gods like keph and dracwhatever to challenge the big uns. I mean, you're more than free not fear the soulless if that's your character's angle. But the morgfyre thing is more "I'm crazy," than a position supported by lore.
    No God is going toe to toe with Kethuru, it took 9 Vernals to do it.

Is it wrong for Silvanus to believe that his best way to attaining the same power to attempt to go toe to toe with Soulless is with one who survived the Void and came out stronger, consuming Gods and Soullesses along the way? How is that not a position supported by lore? Morgfyre can consume in a similar way to Soulless due to the Excoro Potion that he consumed. So why is it that, if one consumes enough, he'll never be strong enough? Kethuru got that strong by consuming, why is that impossible for Morgfyre? Or someone who follows his path? (outside of mechanics, obviously)

And to Munsia:

Everyone but you and Cauthorn.
    Again, this is my problem with RP..

Celina just assumed things about the way Silvanus perceives, and that it isn't a position backed by lore, and that it's more of a long the lines of "I'm crazy."

No.. it's not at all. Maybe that's the way Celina perceives it, with the way her experiences have shaped her perception, but not Silvanus. He has grown in that position and has become stronger since joining Morgfyre's order.

Don't assume you know everything about all lore, everywhere.
    On an OOC level it is crazy. No matter how many Soulless Morgfyre ate, the five remaining Soulless ate even more (plus hordes of Elders). The Vernals could not even kill them, just bind them.

The great thing about roleplay is that characters can believe all kinds of things, no matter how strange they might seem to our OOC personas.
    OOC it's crazy to believe any of this, so I don't understand any point of looking at it from an OOC perspective.

ICly, the lore that Silvanus has learned, acquired and experience over the years, it isn't crazy at all, but closer to fact.
  • Earlier on I noticed a discussion about RP coming from Admin or the Players. It seems to have settled on "it's a mix of both", but I still want to add something to that.

Roleplay is at its core how you act and react to various circumstances. As a player, we are mainly limited to how we ourselves act. Sure, we can to some extent change how others act, happens all the time during PK or politics, but at the end of the day we still can't discover new locations, create new research projects, or have a great house recognized. There are certain limits, and we need the Admin to come fill in the gaps and grant some validity to the roleplay. If I state that Nifilhema prefers puff platter pastries with cloudberry tea, it will remain only a statement and an idea. It can not be considered a factual statement until an admin actually has Nifilhema speak about how lovely puff platter pastries are.

I would also suggest you read through the History of the Paladins that Catarin wrote. It does show that, yes indeed, players can make an actual change on the world.

As to not being "properly afraid" during the Ascension... I think it depends a lot on the buildup. It's difficult to work up fear when like clockwork the seals buckle every 25 years, and this years reason fell a bit flat. It didn't have any of the intensity of the Icewynd release for example, where Zenos actually looked like he was able to make attacks on the basin once more. I understand that some change may be wanted, but changing ascension as it is is gonna take a lot of work. Need a proper justification for the seals to break, a proper threat to motivate the basin,  and some player agency to go. It's not done with the snap of a finger.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I just want to say I don't focus myself around PK. I focus myself around the game in various aspects.

I'm just really really lazy on this book and play I'm writing, I've promised myself I will do it post Ascension.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

edited February 2014
    Wait what? Your position isn't backed by lore at all. Perception of lore as a character and what lore actually is are two different things. Your character can perceive whatever way he pleases, and in this case, it's a little crazy pants. It's not -wrong- to RP that way. You're just having an OOC discussion about the lore supporting your characters views, when it doesn't. Your characters perception of lore does. Which is fine.
    I mean, it's kind of semantics in the context of this discussion but people are asking for ways to improve RP. So I was just pointing it out.
    Again, the lore AVAILABLE to you.

How do you know what has and hasn't gone on inside Morgfyre's order or what Morgfyre has told his order members? How do you know the lore that has been shown to Silvanus doesn't support it? Just because mechanics prevents it, doesn't mean there isn't lore supporting it, whether that lore be true or not. There can exist Lore which is completely wrong.

It's not crazy. OOCly, everything looks nucking futs, so why would you even perceive it in that way?

I don't know how you can contradict yourself so quickly, there is no differnce between "lore as a character" and what "Lore actually is" because you should only be perceiving it as your character when you read it. You don't read Lord of the Rings as if you are in the Seventh Age, you read it as a story. Just as Lusternia, you read it as a story. BUT, you created a character to live within that story, and can perceive whatever lore you want as you so fit. That's not crazy pants. It's not wrong RP. That's called roleplay.

So quit assuming my RP is wrong or it's crazy.

• Alright, I'll join this conversation a bit. You can't tell people how to RP, you have to demonstrate with your own actions. Recently, I've been exposed to a real life example of this through a book. I'm currently studying Robert Greene's 33 Strategies of War, and one of the stories he tells centered around Alfred Hitchcock.

Now one thing that was focused on was that Hitchcock wasn't like other directors. He wasn't verbal and he rarely if ever explained with words how he wanted scenes to work. Instead, he created situations where his actors would naturally feel the emotions he wanted them to feel. Two examples of that were given. In one, he had two actors, male and female, who had to act a scene where they were handcuffed together and running for those lives.. So he handcuffed and then "lost" the key, leaving them there to feel all the emotions associated with being attached to someone you barely know.

In another situation, he had a young actress had to present a nervous and insecure personality, so he started playing mind games on her. He started rumors about her in the studio and created an impression that another actress was far better suited for the job among other things. All those tricks were able to inspire greater performances than would have been possible with just words.

Also just one more tidbit. He learned that lesson from his father. One day he really pissed his dad off but he didn't get yelled at. He didn't get beat either. Instead his father sent him down to the local police office, and when he arrived they locked him and told him that this was what happens to bad boys. He was only in for a few moments, but that experience was life changing.

I shared that little story because I think it is interesting, but more importantly, it highlights how much stronger actions are than words when it comes to influence. So if you want people to RP more, go out there and do it. Set an example. Don't get discouraged either. No one can stop you. No one can beat you. Do whatever you want to do, and do it confidently.

Be like a honey badger.
    This initial forum post was created because Xarcon was upset that the Geomancer lore that was sanctioned by the Geos for their entire existence was so outlandishly dismissed because it wasn't admin-sanctioned. There wasn't any justification for throwing it out besides that it didn't come from a God. There wasn't any attempt at roleplay, which is what Xarcon is upset about, and what he felt the need to make a post about the terrible state of RP from some organizations.

And what I am arguing for is that Lore doesn't need to be admin-sanctioned. If you believe it and enough people follow you, it can be lore. It doesn't need admin approval. The world to your character should exist as if there are no administrators.

Hypothetical situation: If one day all the Gods (including Estarra) stopped logging in, and then fast forward 500 years there was no sight of any of the Gods at all, and their previous powers were beginning to be forgotten. Would your character still believe the Cosmogenises as the beginning? What if some extremely charismatic person named Hajamon came about preaching that there is only ONE God and that the supposed histories were only legends. What if that person was able to convince a large portion of the population to believe in that history? What lore is correct? The one that was created by Gods that hadn't existed in a very long time, or Hajamon, the one who is standing right in front of you.
    Alright well, since I see silv just wants to be aggro instead of reading (I.e I literally said your RP was not wrong), I don't see this going anywhere productive. I think you are misunderstanding the difference between canon lore and something a character did or said, which is important in the larger discussion of improving one's personal RP. I would think that knowing the difference between whether your character is nuts and warping reality as opposed to a more rational character is an important distinction when discussing how to grow as a role player. Neither are wrong ways to play a character.
    The 'canon' lore is what a 'character' did or said in previous years.

The Book of Trillialialilailaillalialia is from the character named Trilialialialialaiaila. I am sure if Bloodredi had splintered instead of Trillialialialia then the Canon would be much different and that we would look at the history of that time differently.

The book is not written by Estarra (when in reality it is). It was from a character. It's only Canon because everybody accepts it because OOCly we know it came from Estarra. Lore doesn't just stop being created.

I would think that knowing the difference between reality and what you are supposed to perceive in the world is an important distinction when discussing how to grow as a role player, but I guess I could be wrong.