Just curious to know

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Shaddus said:
    Seems legit. My Celestian isn't even in makodi's guild, nor is he a guild leader. Do I have your permission to care about Celest's well being and think badly of an intentionally annoying character, or do I need to submit some sort of application?

Let's illustrate a hypothetical.

Shaddus alt #299234 wishes to join Celest.  Tetra finds out through the forums/facebook/ooc clan that said character is a Shaddus alt.  Tetra then starts pushing to have Shaddus alt #299234 removed by spreading unsubstantiated gossip and rumours due to his OOC opinion of Shaddus as a player.

Shaddus makes a new alt and gets into Celest anyways.

See the pattern?  It is futile, pointless, poor roleplay, and an overall crumby way to play the game.  That is not "having fun", it is a really sh&#&$ thing to do.

I can promise you, I would never do that to anyone in good conscience, no matter how much I disliked them.

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken."  - Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Silvanus said:

Holy crap this is still going on?

However people want to RP, that's their choice, just be prepared for any and all ramifications, if any.

Thanks, bye?

Wondering why that's so hard.

EGG FRIGGING ZACTLY
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    edited March 2014
    Tetra said:

Shaddus said:

Seems legit. My Celestian isn't even in makodi's guild, nor is he a guild leader. Do I have your permission to care about Celest's well being and think badly of an intentionally annoying character, or do I need to submit some sort of application?

Shaddus alt #299234 wishes to join Celest.  Tetra finds out through the forums/facebook/ooc clan that said character is a Shaddus alt.  Tetra then starts pushing to have Shaddus alt #299234 removed by spreading unsubstantiated gossip and rumours due to his OOC opinion of Shaddus as a player.

See the pattern?  It is futile, pointless, poor roleplay, and an overall crumby way to play the game.  That is not "having fun", it is a really sh&#&$ thing to do.

I can promise you, I would never do that to anyone in good conscience, no matter how much I disliked them.
    </block-quote

Been there, done that. That's why I no longer play my moondancer, because I've had this happen to me, and Aubrey was the one with a problem with me, gods know why.

At no point in this thread has anyone said they plan on keeping makodi from their org. The closest thing is celina saying she actively worked against people joining glomdoring who she felt were more trouble than they were worth. You're making arguments against scenarios that haven't occurred, and likely won't.

On the other hand, people tend to build up reputations. If the character Tetra asks to join Hallifax, and some of the people have heard bad things/rumours about him, or heard his shouts, or seen how he kills people with dreamweaving who aren't even attacking celest, they might not be interested in attracting that sort of negativity in their org. You don't get a clean slate every time you leave an org and join another; your reputation is a cloud that follows you overhead wherever you go.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    By the way, your scenario doesn't even correlate to this. The only way your point would work is if Makodi made a whole other character and tried to join an org, and the leaders kicked him out because they found out he was an alt of makodi. That's not going to happen, and if it did, it's issuable.
  • Tetra said:
    Shaddus said:

Your hypothetical takes a general rule to an extreme conclusion. If that had happened, then bring it up as a topic of conversation on how not to deal with certain players people don't like. Debating about your imagined scenarios versus someone else's actual experiences with specific trolls is pointless and leads to circular arguments... as demonstrated. If you have a problem with the specific example that was brought up originally, then argue about that instead. Otherwise, more cute animals are needed. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • At no point did I ever say they were doing it to Makodi.  This is about Celina and Xenthos and the posts they have contributed.

Celina did not say she actively worked against people joining Glomdoring.  She says she has outright kicked people from her org expressly for OOC motivations, and that her actions are justified in creating a positive, healthy environment for players.

That is bullshit if I ever heard it.

Please stop changing the topic.  This is not about reputations or past actions of characters.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Get down and wiggle dem goalposts.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11

Our Officers are confused by the notion of a cute sheep, but there you are.
    edited March 2014
    I've seen celina kick people out of glom because their non-commune-linked aethershop doesn't block glom enemies. Shit happens.

If you're actually able to name a person she's done this to (kicked out for ooc reasons), feel free to bring it up and we can hash it out. Until then, you're arguing against someone because of a claim they made which may or may not actually be true. Celina could be talking out of her ass for all we know.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
  • Tetra said:
    At no point did I ever say they were doing it to Makodi.  This is about Celina and Xenthos and the posts they have contributed.

Celina did not say she actively worked against people joining Glomdoring.  She says she has outright kicked people from her org expressly for OOC motivations, and that her actions are justified in creating a positive, healthy environment for players.

That is bullshit if I ever heard it.

Please stop changing the topic.  This is not about reputations or past actions of characters.
    Then give an example of when Celina did that, and explain why it did not contribute to a healthy game environment. Do so without making up examples that suit your conclusions. 

You're interpreting her words to mean a worst-case scenario, when she was speaking of a general rule- that's why you keep speaking past each other. I don't know when I mentioned anyone's reputations or past actions of any characters, all I'm saying is that you should argue with actual examples, not hypothetical ones.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • edited March 2014
    Kethaera said:
    Your hypothetical takes a general rule to an extreme conclusion. If that had happened, then bring it up as a topic of conversation on how not to deal with certain players people don't like. Debating about your imagined scenarios versus someone else's actual experiences with specific trolls is pointless and leads to circular arguments... as demonstrated. If you have a problem with the specific example that was brought up originally, then argue about that instead. Otherwise, more cute animals are needed. 

I have already recommended snubbing, rather than OOC lynches.

The scenario outlined above is very tangible in the game.  It has happened on numerous occasions to various players, and according to many of the opinions voiced -- this behaviour is not extreme, but 'normal'. 

The disagreement doesn't lie in whether or not it is right or wrong, but that it is a behaviour which proves deleterious to the longevity of Lusternia.

My example is coming from experience, otherwise I would not be able to talk at great length about it.  Actually, I have had a direct experience with Celina where she forced another player's hand in a decision that didn't involve her.

• Celina said:
    I've banned people from the SDs and blocked them from Glomdoring for purely OOC reasons and do not regret it nor think twice about my integrity for doing so. I just find a way to justify it IC.

I don't need to post examples for a behaviour that 1) The person in question openly admits to and 2) I have personally experienced myself via that same character.

Also, that previous post was addressed to Shaddus, but the quotes were messy so it was posted standalone.

• Kethaera said:

Then give an example of when Celina did that, and explain why it did not contribute to a healthy game environment. Do so without making up examples that suit your conclusions. 

You're interpreting her words to mean a worst-case scenario, when she was speaking of a general rule- that's why you keep speaking past each other. I don't know when I mentioned anyone's reputations or past actions of any characters, all I'm saying is that you should argue with actual examples, not hypothetical ones.

Just because the behaviour isn't extreme, does not make it any less damaging. 

Her explanation for blocking people are based on the pseudo reasoning that said players are 'toxic, hateful', etc.  The reason the behaviour is damaging, is because in doing this, she actually becomes the toxic and hateful one preventing other players from pursuing their desired playstyle.  That is why I can't help but balk at the assertion that any kind of OOC abuse of information helps the game environment.  What nonsense.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I AM THE WYRD!

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Tetra said:
    Celina said:
    I've banned people from the SDs and blocked them from Glomdoring for purely OOC reasons and do not regret it nor think twice about my integrity for doing so. I just find a way to justify it IC.

I don't need to post examples for a behaviour that 1) The person in question openly admits to and 2) I have personally experienced myself via that same character.

Also, that previous post was addressed to Shaddus, but the quotes were messy so it was posted standalone.
    I absolutely agree that you don't have to post examples, and I very much recommend you do not. However, what Celina said is not a specific example. For all I know, a novice threatened to kill her real-life kitten, and that's why they were kicked out. Totally ooc and totally understandable.

As in my hypothetical, what you imagine to be the case might well be very different from what is the case... which is why this argument is impossible without specific examples. You don't want to give them, and no one's saying you have to... so let it go?
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• edited March 2014
    Kethaera said:
    I absolutely agree that you don't have to post examples, and I very much recommend you do not. However, what Celina said is not a specific example. For all I know, a novice threatened to kill her real-life kitten, and that's why they were kicked out. Totally ooc and totally understandable.

As in my hypothetical, what you imagine to be the case might well be very different from what is the case... which is why this argument is impossible without specific examples. You don't want to give them, and no one's saying you have to... so let it go?

Right.

I'm not trying to say, "Look, Celina is bad and she is so terrible! Burn her at the stake!"  She is entitled to play however she likes, within the rules/policies set forth by the admin.  

It is not because of -her- specifically that I continue the discussion, but because of the appalling support on all sides that encourages such behaviour in the first place. Because lets be real for a moment, it is not only Celina that does this.  It is a prevalent issue in Lusternia that is worthy of discussion.

This discussion has been closed.