What Makes A Good Roleplayer?

TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
edited July 2014 in Common Grounds
Whilst the title to this thread is pretty much self-explanatory, I shall nonetheless give it a bit of a blurb so that it is not just me hurling a sentence at you, yelling 'Discuss!' and promptly fleeing. Also, I have a reputation for verbosity to uphold.

So, there are all sorts of guides on the internet about how to be a good roleplayer, including lots of preachy sermon-type ones. I do not wish to encourage or indeed create that sort of list: I think, to the extent that they don't harm or impact on the enjoyment of others, people should pretty much roleplay how they enjoy doing so. That said, I know that I personally like to think about and improve on myself as a (person and) roleplayer, so I'm interested in what people try to be as roleplayers, what they look for in roleplay chums, and what people generally think is important to bear in mind when roleplaying.

I'm not just thinking of the obvious and glaring ones like 'don't be a dick', 'you are not your character' and 'do not Godmode other peoples' characters', but also overall attitudes to roleplaying. Things like...if you're roleplaying with someone, try to be both active and reactive, so that both of you are equally involved in the scene (in my experience this is not only polite but also makes things a lot more fun and often unexpected).

At the moment I'm trying (and failing tremendously) to work on being a more supportive/enabling roleplayer. I have a tendency to go off on a self-centred flight of fancy where everyone must pay attention to me because I am developing my personal plot omg look at me I'm so shiny. I would like to, er, not be that - all the time, that is, I am not saying it isn't okay to have personal plot, hehe. But yeah, I would like to be better at coaxing people out of their shells and generally letting other people have their me-time (no, not that sort of me time, get your head out of the gutter).

Go forth, lovely people, and tell me of your roleplaying tips, tricks, and aspirations.

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    From the dark bastardry side of things, remember you aren't being mean to a person, you're being mean to a character. If it makes sense for your character to act or react in a cruel, harsh or unkind manner then do so. Much like "you are not your character" they are not theirs, and if you find it hard to make the distinction, perhaps consider toning down the dark side of your character to something you are comfortable playing.

However, bear in mind that some people will (rightly or wrongly) have emotional attachment to their characters and take it personally. Hard, uncomfortable RP scenarios are great in measurement, and add a level of immersion where actions and consequence come into play, but they can also be excessively tiring for some people to the point where they quickly stop being fun. Know when to engage and when to back off, repeatedly targeting someone with unfun RP is dickish, and likely to get them to simply avoid or ignore you in future, which sucks for everyone involved.

Lastly there will also be people who cannot distinguish between your character and you, and simply assumes if the character is a bastard, the player must be too. Talk to those who will listen and learn to let go of those who don't, you can't please everyone and it's unbecoming of your character to try. Though take it as a compliment, if people start to hate you because you play the bad guy so well, you're doing something right!

Ultimately, communication is key, when both sides are able to realise and respect that what is being done is in character with no OOC slant, that's the best environment for RP. If you can maintain a scenario where two characters loathe each other to the point they wouldn't urinate on the other if they were on fire, yet out of character you could sit down with a few drinks and laugh and talk with the other person, you've got the great distinction. Trust matters, they need to trust you that you aren't being malicious IRL, and you need to trust them to tell you when they've become uncomfortable with the RP.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Spontaneity! The number of times I've written a post, or created a ritual, or written a book all in one sitting, all stream of conscious with no time to dwell, or consider, or revise, and gosh, those are always the best (mostly). 

Sometimes I'll have a glass (or three) of wine and just go to town, and really get into Astraea in ways I would have avoided or considered inconsequential in a less lubricated mindset :-c . It's really fun to me, to throw myself into situations where I don't know what my next move is, but I have to MAKE IT RIGHT NOW!
  • Remembering for those of us that are true roleplayers, being made to cry is nae a bad thing. Sometimes, tis the best thing you will find occuring.  The recent events for Diniah made me, the player, cry. And it is still one of the best roleplay sessions, spread over several days, I have had in a while.

Let the character live. Remember that they will do things that, even though it leaves you weeping like a child, are what must be to be true to who THEY are. An revel in the glory of those who will carry that torch of roleplay with you. Hold them dear, for they will help you bring your character to life.

Avatar by the most wondrous Feyrll
  • Many people make the mistake of thinking that "In Character" and "Consistent" are the same thing. They aren't, or, at least, don't have to be. A character who is fun to roleplay and fun to roleplay with will have more depth to that. They'll have complex values that lead them to do different things in different situations - even ones that seem, on the surface, to contradict things they've done before. This is OK. People are inconsistent and weird like that in real life. A Fain-worshipping merian-killing, elfen gobbling nihilist might still be offended if Fain asks them to kill their husband. That just shows they're more than a cardboard cutout in a robe and a mask - there's a real person there who is more than just an extra in a play.

Similarly, being a good roleplayer means roleplaying things that are fun to roleplay. If you play a boring and tedious character, you fill have a boring and tedious time. If you play a disgusting character, you will feel disgusted, and so will other people around you. If you play a villain, you'll find yourself making evil choices over and over again. My advice is not to do that. Pick a character who thinks of themselves as "the good guy" or at least justifiable in what they do. Nobody calls themselves the villain when they write their own story, even if others disagree. But more importantly, pick a character who you can stand to immerse yourself in and who other people can stand interacting with. There's no shame in not wanting to pretend to be a serial murdering cannibal who constantly betrays his friends, and there's even less in someone else's character making the sensible choice by refusing to associate with such a person. If you're too out there and awful, nobody will play with you and you'll have no fun.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Celina said:

Remember the character is a character. The biggest obstacle I have is people equate me to Celina all the time, even in RP environments. Really kills the mood.

This, so much this.

Especially the divine, who likely aren't anything like they are irl.

Except Morgfyre. I have pictures of him actually eating the souls of unbaptised children.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • A good roleplayer in my oppinion rolls with the punches. I've had this discussion with a few people across several games, where each is exposed to a situation that affects them negatively and they feel it makes them not enjoy the game. I just don't think that is a fair statement to make, especially if one plays a character who is 'evil'. Yeah sometimes you are going to be on the losing end, and sometimes this lasts for ages. It happens. But you are not going to fix it by ranting OOC about it. Sure, you can do that if it makes you feel better, but in the end if you truely desire and value immersion you handle it ingame. It is an incredible opportunity for great roleplay. And yes it is normal that your character gets upset in the face of defeat, and that even you take over these feelings. But I feel that one should embrace it as a chance. Even if that means doing something unconventional. Because that is where you get to break out of the ordinary and bring new depth.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Astraea said:
    Spontaneity! The number of times I've written a post, or created a ritual, or written a book all in one sitting, all stream of conscious with no time to dwell, or consider, or revise, and gosh, those are always the best (mostly). 
    The are -other- ways to do rituals than off the cuff?!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I think my biggest RP pet peeve is when people try to force you into their ideal RP.

The biggest example of this in recent memory (that I can think of, it's been awhile) is when Goloths were around and Seren was demanding Magnagora answer because some citizen said something along the lines of 'serving the Goloths' and when Mag didn't answer, players went to forums and facebook criticizing them for not answering and not engaging in the RP.  In the same vein, I've also seen people in Magnagora do the same thing, so it's an all encompassing facet.

People don't need to conform to your RP ideals in order to be good RPers so I would echo the sentiments that a good Roleplayer is someone who is flexible and has the ability to adjust and change with the flow of things.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited July 2014
    Just going on the record to say Celina actually can and does roleplay rather well. I remember the Mag/Fain era.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    What if I'm RPing an asshole that just wants to grief your noobs!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Woa woa woa, let's just say "slightly above average for a PKer." I don't ruin my rep with high expectations
  • A good roleplayer is someone who isn't afraid of doing the RP they want to do, even if other people don't like it or think it's annoying. Wanna be a stutterer? Be one. It happens IRL and there's no reason why it shouldn't happen IG. Wanna be a blind scholar? Damn well dooo ittt. It's your character and your RP consequences that make the game fun for you.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Isune said:
    5eva 
    Because 4 evas just weren't enough.  Best part of the whole post, imo.

On a serious topic, be willing to play a flawed character.  Why be the perfect X when being imperfect is so much more fun?  Some of my most fond roleplay moments have come from Tark not being the perfect Shadowdancer/tae'dae/whatever.
    I enjoy playing flawed characters with doubts and hangups.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I like playing a character with no flaws whatsoever. O:-)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Daraius can't give his family hugs. He is extremely flawed.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    On that note (I promise I'll give you one of my famous walls o'text later, but just a little right now) you should remember that flaws are subjective. What's bad for one person can be the height of nobility to another.

For example, Portius hates most foreigners. Forestals, in particular. He doesn't really consider them to be people. That level of bigotry is usually considered a flaw in most real societies, and a lot of Lusternians would probably agree with that assessment, ICly. But at the same time, there's probably a lot of heavily nationalistic Hallifaxians who agree and think of that level of distrust as a fundamentally good thing. After all, he's just resisting those anti-Collectivist foreign influences, and they aren't like us anyway.

Or take his refusal to lie. He says that it's beneath the dignity of a scientist to lie, and that it builds bad habits in people whose job is to find the truth. But for a lot of people, lying is really useful. Not just for matters of etiquette, but for security reasons. Even within a culture, what traits are considered flaws can be extremely variable.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I think I'll agree especially with Celina on not bring mechanics IC, Portius on flaws, and Isune on doing what you need for fun. As a single caveat, though, if you do get a lot of enjoyment out of playing hardline loyal characters, by all means, go for alts if you can stomach it! Alting in a new org is a very different experience from moving to one, especially if people can't pick up on who you are quickly/easily, and can generally tell you more about whether you'll enjoy yourself with a full, proper move before taking the plunge.
    Daraius said:

I like playing a character with no flaws whatsoever. O:-)

We can't all be Daraius, the complacent and harmonious. Sometimes we have to be Entrias, who has trust issues, anger problems, trouble letting go, and a need for designing things he shouldn't.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Pectus said:
    A good roleplayer is someone who isn't afraid of doing the RP they want to do, even if other people don't like it or think it's annoying. Wanna be a stutterer? Be one. It happens IRL and there's no reason why it shouldn't happen IG. Wanna be a blind scholar? Damn well dooo ittt. It's your character and your RP consequences that make the game fun for you.
    I think this is particularly true. You should come to the table of RP knowing how your character would react to a number of different circumstances, and be able to keep IC and OOC from mixing. The best roleplayers have this sort of gravity that makes everyone stop what they're doing and listen up. And to have that, one has to be particularly brave to try and stir up attention, either on the city aether or at the nexus or in the presence of Elders. You have to do it convincingly, without looking trite or overplayed. Perfect syntax always helps. Quick responses. Making everything seem natural. That's what separates the good from the great, in my opinion.

• Everiine said:
    What if you want golden dragon milk?
    Weell.. There are downsides to it.

Pectus said:
    Everiine said:
    Yes, golden dragon cheese isn't very tasty and leaves glitter around your mouth.
  • Shaddus said:
    Pectus said:
    Everiine said:
    Yes, golden dragon cheese isn't very tasty and leaves glitter around your mouth.
    But as much glitter as it leaves in your mouth, the person did still.. Technically.. RP as she wanted. Even if she broke most of the description rules, and language rules. Annd a whole heap of other things.

So yes. RP as you want to RP! Be happy.