What Makes A Good Roleplayer?

13»

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Iora said:

The Light is good. Why is it goodg? I don't know. It just is. ^_^

Admittedly, the Supernals are aspects of very positive traits, so that also helps.
    As much as the stereotypical concepts of light and dark are amusing, there are so many viewpoints here you could use.

Defending the weak so much they get lazy -shakiniel, attacking people who aren't like you - methrenton, judging others by your own personal rules and standards - japhiel, being weak willed and loving snuggly animals to the point where you turn them into angels against their will - raziela, being unfocused on one aspect of your life and blinding others with your "radiance" so they can't see your faults - Elohora

These are weak points, and someone who is a nihilist in game could likely come up with better antiSupernal propaganda.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Ohhh, that's really good, Shaddus. I never looked at it that way!
    More sad examples:

On the other hand, Gorgeous teaches us the dangers of being too greedy, and to not let our hunger and ambition be our downfall. Baalphegar shows us that true strength and power doesn't have to stem from the physical aspects of a person, and to keep your secrets hidden, not truly exposing your works to others. Ashtorath shows us that a blind rage isn't as powerful as focusing your fury and waiting until the best possible moment to destroy the obstacles in your life. Nifilhema has many lessons, not the least of which is to allow your pain to empower you; use it as a tool, learn from it, don't let it overcome you. Luciphage shows us to have complete control of yourself, know your enemy and let him destroy himself. Use his weaknesses against him, and when he falls at your feet from his own failings, destroy him utterly and without remorse.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited July 2014
    I, personally, love the teachings of the Aspects of Crow. False Memory isn't what it seems at first glance.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Lerad said:

Conflict doesn't have to be always about an identity crisis. If your character doesn't like tea (or the other character), you could describe that they "subtly" ignore offered beverages of that sort - subtly from your (and maybe their) character's point of view, but obvious to the players. This is a fairly common tactic used to raise drama and just very simply have a bit of bantering fun - and it's an example of suggesting the kind of conflict you are interested to see when you're interacting with others. If possible, leave an avenue for the other character to ignore it. After all, if your character spits in their face, they can't very well shrug it off. But if you phrase it in the right way, it becomes just a suggestion. For the tea example above, the other party doesn't have to react to it - they might miss the "subtle" action if they want to concentrate on something else instead.

The way Pejat pretends to drink tea is one of my favorite performances ever. Subtle enough that I didn't realize what he was doing until like the third time I saw it. :x It will eventually be the cause of extrme drama between us, I'm sure.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Damn it, Samsung.
  • edited July 2014
    Working out the flaws in your own city or commune's teachings is pretty helpful when coming up with dilemmas and flaws for a character in that place.. (Let's be honest, they all have their flaws, downsides and so on). For example, Haezon may WANT to not have to defend, be in a revolt or whatnot if he doesnt feel like it, but that would be considered lazy and not pulling his weight, which is very not-Glomdoring (He doesn't, he actually does fight)
    It's a DILEMMA!

This doesn't mean your character then has to have a crisis of faith and leave. Self-hating people are pretty deep and amusing sometimes, especially if they want to overcome these flaws. Ergo, Character development.
    Retired.
  • Haezon said:
    Working out the flaws in your own city or commune's teachings is pretty helpful when coming up with dilemmas and flaws for a character in that place.. (Let's be honest, they all have their flaws, downsides and so on). For example, Haezon may WANT to not have to defend, be in a revolt or whatnot if he doesnt feel like it, but that would be considered lazy and not pulling his weight, which is very not-Glomdoring (He doesn't, he actually does fight)
    It's a DILEMMA!

This doesn't mean your character then has to have a crisis of faith and leave. Self-hating people are pretty deep and amusing sometimes, especially if they want to overcome these flaws. Ergo, Character development.
    I agree with the spirit of this, but when it comes to defending during raids/forced pk-related situations, NO ONE should feel obligated to be involved, regardless of the roleplay of the organization or individual.  I stopped defending my home org on a different MUD when they started disfavoring people for not helping, or for leaving midway through raids. There are few things that irritate me more than forcing someone to participate in PK(or punishing them for not), because games should be fun.

And flawed characters are fun to play.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    While Glomdoring has that "My life for Aiur!" aspect to it at no point is anyone obliged to fight in defence or offence. Iorwen's new sermon play touches on the point that there are more battles to be fought than the purely martial PK style.

What would get you a backhand in Glomdoring is to vocally (and repeatedly) complain about something (being raided, lacking villages/bubbles/domoths/culture etc) and doing nothing yourself to assist in the efforts to obtain them. There's no room for mouthpieces who want to be simply carried by others, that's the definition of being lazy and not pulling your weight.

The day PK becomes mandatory in Glom is the day I'd likely stop fighting by choice, it's a game, not a job.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Agreeing the last few posts.If you're not a pk sort of person, cool. Make some rituals, write some plays, be bad ass in your own way.

It's when your attitude is generally "it's not worth defending or giving a damn because I might lose something/charges and herbs cost money/I'm busy chatting with my friends from our opposing org oocly" that I get pissed.
  • Added on to the stuff here, I'd like to offer some advice as to my opinion of a 'purposefully done character flaw'. Stuttering, for example, can be handled in a way that is not annoying (I think), as can bad English (Whether because your character is stupid or uneducated or something, which is not the same thing)

Make them overcome stuttering, look for ways to overcome it, try and overcome it, or lament about how they wish they couldn't but they do (Not to seriously hammy levels, but a bit of self-pity is good).

Same with bad English, either make them fluent in their own language (If they have one) or role-play them taking lessons in how to speak English, then you can involve others in your RP (You can also make them spend lots of time in the library, saying he's 'learning').

Evolve your character, don't just come up with some pre-made ideas and let them stay that way forever. That's boring and people will soon get tired of your character. Flaws are meant to be overcome, and I think they make a character more interesting.
    Retired.
  • It's nice to see muds where people take into consideration the RP side of the game.
    My flaw is that my english isn't very good..so I'm not really fluent...but I think it could be ok for a Krokani.
  • There's a lot of really good points that have been made in this thread.

Really though, in the end, what I think it boils down to is effort. Make any effort at all, and I will love playing with you no matter your spelling, punctuation, grammar or whatever (we all make mistakes).

Avoid what my mentors called "lazy" RP. Nod, smile, grin, where any predefined emote is your bread and butter. Write your own emotes, and I can see the effort you're putting into things. And I will love you for it.

Just my two cents. :)

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Don't forget the "say" emotes. They add a TON.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    Don't forget the "say" emotes. They add a TON.
    Forget that, emotes in general are great (Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread already), especially if you tailor them to replace the emotes which don't fit your character. Haezon had an idle 'emote' where he'd shake his wings every now and then.

But when he does the VAIN emote, it says he brushes his hair back vainly. Trills don't have hair (Although Haezon has a wig). Instead, make up an alias an emote replacing hair with feathers, or your character's equivalent expression/features.

Example: Haezon goes to brush his hair back in a vain manner, but being he has no hair, just turns it into scratching the back of his head.
    Retired.
  • Haezon said:
    Example: Haezon goes to brush his hair back in a vain manner, but being he has no hair, just turns it into scratching the back of his head.

"emote 's hand goes to the scruff of his neck, fingers splayed and draws his hand up and over his scalp, spreading the (INSERT COLOUR) feathers out, catching the light in a startling display"

I have made many many replacement emote's and alias' for this kind of thing. If you want a hand, just ask and I'm sure someone will help... If no one volunteers, just message me and I'll do what I can.
    Is also the Shintar.
  • Not greeting the wrong city/commune :|
  • Mimie said:
    Not greeting the wrong city/commune :|
    Not calling your forest a city and vice versa.
    Retired.
  • edited October 2014
    Always check your SCore and see your name before greeting any org

in case of habitual logging into an old character 

It's true, I really am you.
  • Euthymia said:

It's nice to see muds where people take into consideration the RP side of the game.

My flaw is that my english isn't very good..so I'm not really fluent...but I think it could be ok for a Krokani.
    You spelled consideration right, already have me beaten.

It's true, I really am you.