The foolishness of overbuffing kits.

Comments

• Arcanis said:
    Lavinya said:
    I don't follow that logic. If anything, Kelly being an eternal Paladin shows she's not the type to just chase the easy spammable op cheese skills. I think you're going on a slippery tangent there.

(Please stop being a good cantor @Kelly, you're ruining everything.)
    I am attempting to point out how a lifetime (metaphorically speaking) of experience as a paladin can be shadowed by playing a few weeks as a cantor (in its current state).

You're misunderstanding the role of the Paladin, and any warrior. By far, warriors in group combat are meant to hinder, not go for kills. That's why Kelly doesn't shine through like a shadowdancer, illuminatus or geomancer might (except sometimes, even as a paladin, she does, because she's fully artied and she's Kelly). Why do you think there are so many bard vernal ascendants, and guardian/wiccan VAs? It's not a coincidence. Their skillsets allow them to kill effectively.

You got ganked by a competent Cantor like once dude. Chill out.

• Here are some tips:

have blacktea

have allheale.

That's 6 power's worth of blackout that will never hit you, allowing you to cure aeon and get on with your life.

• edited November 2014
    Speaking as an ex-Cacophonist, if I used queenslament (and I did!) it was mainly in group situations and for the blackout. The entangle and bleeding were generally minor additions, especially when it came to my own offense.

It's been a while, too, but I think it was shackles rather than the web entangle type? So you could theoretically stack those, but it's rarely worth it to aim for entangling over your other options. Or it might have just had shackles in the line but actually done entangle....

I would also Darkmaster Command them to sip allheale beforehand (when I'm not using it to strip them naked). There's a power I'm a little surprised hasn't been brought up: although it's not on par with things like pfarewell I'd probably rate it above queenslament.
  • except it stuns you, so you physically can't cure with allheale. Blacktea might prevent it once but it has a cooldown like unholywater.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Akyaevin said:
    (when I'm not using it to strip them naked)
    Creep
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • The stun is like one or two seconds.

• edited November 2014
    Any stun is a powerful one.

It's still tangent to the conversation - if Pfarewell is too powerful, logs will go a long way to find the problem beyond vague posts about how Kelly used to be a warrior and is now a bard, or how she keeps getting kills (she got kills as a warrior too, by the way. She's had destro for a long time now, and she's never been shy of using destro-ing her pitted targets) because how long Kelly has been a cantor proves nothing about how powerful pfarewell is. I've been a monk for a very long time, but the only reason why I'm not something else is because I haven't had the credits to hop/flex until recently, and I haven't had the time to play now that I have the credits (oh, woe is me). That says nothing about whether another class (or one of its abilities) in Glomdoring is powerful or not.

If pfarewell is too strong, I'm sure most people will join the chorus of cries to get it nerfed, put names to a change.org petition, or donate their third-borns to the cause, but it's a little difficult to get the motivation to rally when there's no concrete logs to look at.
    Arcanis said:
    Not going to go through each one, but basically my idea is pfarewell is too easy to do and has no skill to it. It is reminiscent of old choke's (Instant aeon and stuck) concept. Seriously all the cantor has to do is have a pfifth down beforehand and then it is basically choke (except curable but honestly with how you get stuck, not that easy to even cure to begin with).
    On the other hand, when you start comparing it to old choke, you get my hackles up, because old choke is nothing like pfarewell. First, old choke was not instant, second, it choked the user too, thirdly, old choke was uncurable until you left the room, fourthly, old choke didn't stun, didn't blackout and there wasn't a "stuck" part to the aeon (there also isn't a "stuck" part to pfarewell) and most importantly, old choke was never a skill that was too powerful in my opinion. If it is "reminiscent" of old choke, then whatever this argument will lead to, it will be unlikely to be a nerf. Baseless rants contribute nothing, period. If you can't come up with a good argument on your own, post your logs and let someone else do the arguing.

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Shame on me for trying a new class.

@Arcanis, having fought a few people 1v1 (or like 1v3), I can say that most of them will cure out of this, and it takes some luck with stupidity to stick it long enough for the damage kill against most. I couldn't kill @Andala at all. I think you've only got 4 or 5k health, so that's one issue; anyone who has played in the overbuffed and destruction-whore environment has known this. The second is that your system seems to give up when this happens; sometimes it looks like you don't even attempt to cure anything. And then if you do cure out of it, you stand there waiting for more punishment. If you know exactly what I'm doing, then you are able to cure out of it relatively reliably... also learn to tumble.

Plenty of top-tier fighters have said that princessfarewell is manageable, and it has already been mentioned that your campaign is ill-placed and should be taken to Envoys (where these same people will probably voice the same opinion, anyway). So I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up.

As Synkarin said, you should look to improve yourself before trying to cry foul at me. There have been other Cantors, who inevitably used princessfarewell, and it hasn't drawn these complaints. So I feel that this is a direct jab at me. I have invested a lot of time in the game to learn and to grow. I'm also fully artied and a VA, products of the time investment itself, which give me an advantage. So if that time investment is not attractive to you and you don't really want to be involved in combat, then you shouldn't make an annoyance of yourself by kicking villagers and taunting others.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Bards are one of the classes with the most exploitable weaknesses.
  • I should note that buff stacking is on the "to-do." I, personally, want to see damage scaling at the top tiers reduced to a significant degree.Though not Cantor specific, it may, in a round about way, address some of the concerns. So do not despair too much!

I rather like the dynamic of Cantors and bards in general, they're my favorite archetype. I've seen high end combatants shrug off their damage in 1v1s and the Cantor who otherwise relied on their heavy damage is stuck spinning their wheels. On the flip side, I've seen learning or newer PKers absolutely brutalize high end PKers like Synkarin with a Cantor/Celestine combo (incidentally, this is one of the reason why I don't buy into whole Poor North argument). I'll only disagree with Kelly regarding Cantors not drawing these complaints before. I can recall a couple of Cantors spawning these types of conversations in the bast over the same thing. It's important that you don't let deathsights in group combat skew your perception of balance. I know kills get all the glory, but the warrior hitting the tendons and setting up the pits is just as important, if not more so, than the bard dropping damage bombs. The system just doesn't support team deathsights.

edited November 2014
    I think the only meaningful conclusion I picked up through this thread was just that: hoping to see that damage/resistance stacking as well as limiting the h/m/e buffs is addressed (or given priority) in this overhaul.
  • Both will definitely be addressed after the afflictions are all changed over and the kinks worked out. Resistances basically scale already through DMP but I think the plan is to move everything over to a tiered resistance/buff system with hard caps.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Saesh said:

The system just doesn't support team deathsights.

You aren't setting up a system to log Assists like in LoL? :(
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • No, because Dota 2 is better.
  • Lerad said:
    Any stun is a powerful one.

It's still tangent to the conversation - if Pfarewell is too powerful, logs will go a long way to find the problem beyond vague posts about how Kelly used to be a warrior and is now a bard, or how she keeps getting kills (she got kills as a warrior too, by the way. She's had destro for a long time now, and she's never been shy of using destro-ing her pitted targets) because how long Kelly has been a cantor proves nothing about how powerful pfarewell is. I've been a monk for a very long time, but the only reason why I'm not something else is because I haven't had the credits to hop/flex until recently, and I haven't had the time to play now that I have the credits (oh, woe is me). That says nothing about whether another class (or one of its abilities) in Glomdoring is powerful or not.

If pfarewell is too strong, I'm sure most people will join the chorus of cries to get it nerfed, put names to a change.org petition, or donate their third-borns to the cause, but it's a little difficult to get the motivation to rally when there's no concrete logs to look at.

Synkarin said:
    Kelly switching to Cantor and becoming a damage whore is nothing more than a reflection of where bards fall into the group combat scheme compared to Warriors. 

As a warrior, you hinder hinder hinder (unless you're Morkarion and just want kills) and your job is to be tanky and keep people down.

Except this isnt about group combat alone. It is about 1 v 1. Cantors have simply been walking in, pfarewelling and dramaturgying a target and then damage-whoring to death. This isnt skill, this is a broken skill. If there was a way to retaliate, I would, but I cant make myself permanently deaf nor can I heal through instant aeon+stun. I think logs will have to do.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Arcanis said:

Except this isnt about group combat alone. It is about 1 v 1. Cantors have simply been walking in, pfarewelling and dramaturgying a target and then damage-whoring to death. This isnt skill, this is a broken skill. If there was a way to retaliate, I would, but I cant make myself permanently deaf nor can I heal through instant aeon+stun. I think logs will have to do.
    I remember a loralist (w/dramaturgy) once trying to get the sleep/aeonlock in for a crotamine kill for a good 3 minutes. I also remember fighting Draylor back when I was a wee dr00d in Seren and he went crazy with the pfarewell. 3 pfarewell attempts later I was still doing quite fine and even setting up the sap lock, and I was a pretty squishy elfen back then, not even a demi. So no, you're going a bit overboard here. In 1v1, you either missed the signs that you're about to get your face melted or there's something wrong with your system and it wasn't curing properly. Locking someone up to the point where they can do nothing isn't as easy to pull off as you might think.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited November 2014
    For those generally requesting logs, below is one
    @Lerad

(btw, that's with my system registering her Angkhai slash dramaturgy 'illusion' as fake)

Kelly stares at you with a burning intensity.
    4598h, 7042m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19867w BesSilrxkdb-
    Kelly plays a carved aquatic mandolin, and you cry out as your deaf ears open up to the sound of a
    high-pitched note.
    Your ears open up, though you lose your true hearing.
    You have cured deafness.
    4598h, 7042m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19867w BesSilrxkb-
    You may drink another purgative or curing potion.
    4598h, 7042m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19867w BesSilrxkb-
    The song of an angelic choir fills the air with a blazing white light.
    The song of angelic choir fills the air with a brilliant light as you cover your eyes and drop to
    your knees.
    You are afflicted with sprawled.
    4598h, 7042m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19867w BesSilrkbp-
    4598h, 7042m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19867w BesSilrkbp-
    "We shan't yield!" sings Kelly, making a carved aquatic mandolin fairly weep with tragic notes, and
    she looks directly at you.
    Filled with a haunting sorrow and unlimited love, an excruciatingly beautiful note brings tears to
    your eyes and a lump to your throat. Time slows and momentarily a vision fills your eyes of a
    goddess floating over an ancient pool with tears streaming down her face.
    Suddenly your movements through the time stream are slowed.
    You are afflicted with aeon.
    ?:(a) -
    (m&m): Slow curing mode enabled.

(m&m): Enabled blackout curing.
    (-4598h, 100.0%, -7042m, 98.8%, -5415e, 100.0%)
    You have recovered balance on all limbs.
    You are no longer stunned. (1.88s)
    ?:(a) -(sip phlegmatic)
    You move sluggishly into action.
    Kelly gracefully cuts her claws across your head with an Angkhai arc, slicing open your throat in
    three crimson streaks.
    You are no longer immune from stun.
    The idea of putting something in your stomach sickens you.
    ?:(a) -(stand)
    Your senses return to you as the blackout ends. (4.008s)
    (a) 4598h, 6992m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19871w BesSilrkbp-
    (m&m): Out of blackout, disabled blackout curing.
    (+4598h, 100.0%, +6992m, 98.1%, +5415e, 100.0%)
    You have recovered balance on all limbs. (0.786s)
    (a) 4598h, 7125m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19871w BesSilrxkbp-(+133m, 1.9%)
    (a) 4598h, 7125m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19871w BesSilrxkbp-
    (a) 4598h, 7125m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19871w BesSilrxkbp-
    (stand)
    The white holy fire around Kelly surges towards you, enveloping your body in searing flames.
    (a) 3938h, 7125m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19871w BesSilrxkbp-(-660h, 14.4%)
    You are no longer immune from blackout.
    (a) 3938h, 7125m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19871w BesSilrxkbp-
    Kelly plays a carved aquatic mandolin and directs the stately notes towards you.
    Holy fire erupts at your feet and engulfs you.
    (a) 2292h, 7125m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19871w BesSilrxkbp-(-1646h, 35.8%)
    (a) 2292h, 7075m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19861w BesSilrxkbp-(-50m, 0.7%) x kelly
    target is kelly
    A dazzling ringing enters your mind.
    The ache in your ear canals clears up. (7.743s)
    (a) 2292h, 7075m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19875w BesSilrxkbp-
    The night-time mountain air causes you to shiver slightly.
    You stand up and stretch your arms out wide.
    You have cured sprawled. (7.334s)
    (a) 2292h, 7075m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19875w BesSilrxkb-(smoke 159251)
    (a) 2292h, 7075m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19875w BesSilrxkb-
    Kelly plays a carved aquatic mandolin and directs the stately notes towards you.
    (a) 280h, 7075m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19875w BesSilrxkb-(-2012h, 43.8%)
    (smoke 159251)
    (a) 509h, 7050m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19875w BesSilrxkb-(+229h, 5.0%, -25m, 0.4%)
    The light of Holy Celestia flares brightly as the blessed Supernals judge you.
    You are afflicted with an unknown ailment.
    ?:(a) 509h, 7050m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19875w BesSilrxkbp-
    You take a long drag off a simple oaken pipe.
    Food is no longer repulsive to you.
    You have cured anorexia. (6.863s)
    ?:(a) 509h, 7000m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19879w BesSilrxkbp-(sip phlegmatic)(-509h, 11.1%, -7050m, 98.
    9%, -5415e, 100.0%)
    ?:(a) 509h, 7000m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19879w BesSilrxkbp-
    ?:(a) 509h, 7000m, 5415e, 10p, 21900en, 19879w BesSilrxkbp-
    You die as the holy fire hollows out both your body and soul.
    You have been slain by Kelly.
    A sprig of chervil falls out of your inventory.
    A basket filled with cloudberries falls out of your inventory.
    The mortal threads of your being severed, you scream in agony as the Divine spark within you enfolds
    your body with scorching flames.

One thing I'll say is that enabling affmessages will  help you quite a bit. Also, I'm pretty sure "A dazzling ringing enters your mind." is sensitivity from Cantors. It's been a while.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited November 2014
    Your prios are screwed up. Why are you standing under aeon, you should have kept trying to cure that first before getting up. 

Also, assume anorexia when you get the illusion, not just ignore it. That saves you having to try to fail eating, costing you valuable seconds.
    To echo what Shuyin said, you need to assume her illusion is anorexia. Ignoring it means your system doesn't realise you have anorexia.
  • Assuming the dramaturgy line is anorexia won't work in this scenario. What is happening here is that Kelly did pfarewell, 1.5s later (1.88 with latency) stun wears off, and he sends phlegmatic. Just before it goes through, (at BEFORE 2.8 to 3.5s, since aeon delay is 1s) the dramaturgy line hits, and blocks the previously sent phlegmatic. Once that secondary line is seen, anorexia is not hidden anymore, and m&m knows it's gotten anorexia. Just a few things to note:

1) Anorexia was hidden for a grand total of less than 1s, so making it recognize anorexia is not needed.
    2) The cure priorities are definitely messed up. m&m is sending stand before smoking for anorexia. No reason for that, either check your priorities under aeon, or ask Vadi what's going on.
    3) A truetime enchantment could potentially screw this up for Kelly entirely - the anorexia hit literally milliseconds before the phlegmatic, even with .3s of latency. You could get out of aeon before she anorexia's you. And that's with merian (I think) eq, so yeah, that's the fastest she can go.
    4) The balefire ability is what is killing you, not pfarewell. It doesn't look like pfarewell even did any damage, but not anywhere near 1.6k (43% of your max health). She could probably bash you to death with merian speeds. I have no idea why she bothers with pfarewell. Just pfifth and go to town.

The potential problem is in two places: merian speed (allowing her to anorexia you just before phlegmatic goes through) and the balefire thingy skill (43% max health damage at 4.5k max health).

There's also the possibility that the stun was from the kneeling and not from the pfarewell, though, in which case truetime might not help enough. Pfarewell stun could do with some tweaking if it's too long, especially because of merian speed. Someone needs to find out how long is that stun, because merian speed looks like it is around 3s for pfarewell.

See, Arcanis? This woulda gone much faster if you'd posted the log from the start. In the meantime, work on your prios. Make m&m smoke before standing.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    The stun lasts long enough for lvel 2+ eq recovery to get a hit in before you get a real chance to do anything (1.88s stun + 2 seconds for aeon command to go through). Once the overhaul gets to racial rebalancing, this probably wont be possible. Or, it shouldn't be possible. Also, she didn't use poison spit stupidity for an even higher chance of being unable to cure. And princessfarwell complaints are nothing new, it used to cost 8power in Narsrims day. There hasn't been any creative cantors really since then.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Some advice on how to actually adjust prios would be great, because I need to do it too >.>
  • edited November 2014
    First do this:

mmshowprios slowcuring

Find the number for prone. If I'm not wrong, the default should be somewhere around 630. It should be ten lines or so down from the top.

Then do this:

mmswapslow anorexia_herb <number>

where the number you put here is the number you found earlier. This should put anorexia_herb curing above prone curing in aeon. Use mmshowprios slowcuring to double check after.

edit:

Just as a disclaimer, the best way to do this will be to have properly optimized and customized priority lists for different types of people, not just tweak the general list. After all, if you meet an aeon casting tahtetso, you'll want to stand up before curing anorexia if possible. (Just an example.) If someone knows you have anorexia before standing in your slowcuring priority, it's possible they can capitalize on it as well, so use at your own risk. In this case, though I do think generally speaking, anorexia should be higher than prone, so you'll probably be fine. But if you want to make extensive tweaks to the priorities, look up Vadi's documentation and make different lists. He explains how to do it very clearly in there.

(m&m): anorexia is now > prone.

Nice.
    Not sure why you want to nerf the stun, since Cantors have no way of sticking the aeon unlike other classes with passives. Then they'll even cure the blackout before you regain eq.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Most bards don't need aeon sticking, that's why. As a Caco, I used a combination of amnesiacloud and stupidity to get a soft aeon lock and that is usually enough time to recover balance before they cure aeon (amnesia by itself usually is). And that was as a dwarf, not as a badass merian.

And the only other bard class that really can stick aeon is loralaria and thats with a sleep lock (Which is much harder because of metawake).

So no, i dont feel like cantors need to aeon lock. And not all classes that aeon can aeon lock, illuminati cant, nihilists can do a soft lock, but that requires timing your demon, which severely inhibits afflicting power.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    alternatively, to adjust prios you can also just bring up the list

then click on the ^^ or vv to move an affliction up or down in importance

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.