Simple Ideas

Comments

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    edited December 2015
    Can we get sent messages when appointed cartel trademaster? Apparently I'm TM of two more cartels than I realised, and I didn't get any messages saying I was appointed.

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    @Qistrel not 100% sure but most of these are message if it happens while you are logged off. maybe just got lost somewhere in some spammy task?
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • I could really use the ability to export individual packages on the web client, that way I could share useful things with other people who use it.

As is, I can only export everything on my profile, which means I have to make a new character and manually transfer everything if I want to export and share something.
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • I hate to doublepost, but in the light of the (somewhat) recent targeting changes for mobs (astralbeast, etc...), maybe we could have a special noun to distinguish regular fae and fae knights on faethorn.

Maybe wildfae for fae, and faeknight for fae knights. It would make it easier on true newbies, and save the tendons of those of us who don't have complicated systems (or use the web client).
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • Influencing in faethorn is often done by the specific type of creature anyway, as the avatars each only take certain kinds, and the avatars have to be helped in a specific order to maximize the spawning of daughters/ladies. The fae themselves are of different difficulty levels. Truenewbs aren't going to be targeting "fae" anyway, they're going to be targeting sprite/pixie/brownie specifically because those are the ones they are able to influence.

All that said, while I don't really care, I also think it's an important learning tool for commune newbs that fae are fae are fae. If you are going to be a defender of the fae, you have to realize that it does not just include the 27 mobs that you are able to influence for power - it's all the denizens of faethorn, the gardens, and even enemy ents, etc. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it has always felt correct from a rp standpoint that you have to be specific with your targeting in faethorn.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Talan said:
    Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it has always felt correct from a rp standpoint that you have to be specific with your targeting in faethorn.
    Requiring people to have/get/make GMCP targeting systems for influencing doesn't really have anything to do with RP, especially when it's one of a few viable ways for newbies and noncoms to earn power. :/
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I am pretty sure that they changed that specific-order thing a long time back. It was an extra complication that had no in-game documentation or even any ability to determine which one needed to be helped next. I do not particularly care about the suggestion either way myself, as a note; just wanted to point this out.
  • Now you're overthinking. It doesn't take a gmcp targeting system to walk in a room, see a specific fae, use your reading skills to determine its target name, and start cycling through INFLUENCE SPRITE WITH BEGGING until the thing leaps into your arms.

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Convenience in syntax != RP. :|

Would also prevent unnecessary shattered egoes for those newbies who DO use the 'fae' target, which you can see by probing them.

(Note, I'm demi with trans influence and a bunch of goodies. This doesn't really impact me.)
    Eh. I watched someone try to beg a present from a gnome by repeatedly using the BEG emote on it. My simple idea: if you use the BEG emote on an NPC and have hints enabled, it should display the syntax to influence-beg from the NPC, too.
  • I'm torn between not wanting to fight with you and wanting to make you understand that you are totally wrong on multiple fronts. :(
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    I just want my idea to be loved by all. :(
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, I feel like adding in a common targeting noun so your auto influencer is more convenient is a quick way to be told no.

I also think a common targeting noun benefits manual influencing far more than auto-influencing

The astralbeast change was so people stopped killing mounts and stuff during bashing, not to make it easier to hunt.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Yeah, so many eagles and goats died on astral...

• Can we please have a Wonder Cornucopia activate all command?

It's silly that activating all 7 bonuses should put you off balance for 8.5 seconds!

WONDERCORNUCOPIA ACTIVATE INFUSIONS
  • I suppose I worded it wrong, as I often do lately. Most of the people here have complex auto bashers/influencers, some even with area walkers and a curing system on top of it. I've already adjusted my targeting accordingly, over the course of a few hours of tinkering with gmcp, but that isn't really the point here. Those of us who have been around for a long time have gotten over this, because we are from a different generation.

Look at the newer generation. People are spoon-fed graphics and ease of use on a radiant diamond-encrusted platter, and we still expect to gain a steady flow of new players while still arguing over whether or not basic targeting should remain complicated in heavy-repetition environments?

Sure, astralbeast was added so people would stop getting their mounts wrecked, but what about firebeast? earthbeast? waterbeast? airbeast? How about the shadowbeast and ethereal targets for essence-dropping mobs on the organizational chunks of ethereal?

My point is, it's obvious they are streamlining targeting to make things simpler, to make it so new players don't have to dig around for scripts or spend hours coding their own. I was just shooting ideas for another area that newbies frequent (let's not forget, you need to influence those fae for targets such as shadowbeast or ethereal to even spawn).

If you're going to argue that we should remove convenience for the sake of maintaining RP, for the sake of preventing autobashers and autoinfluencers, then you may as well argue that we remove GMCP or otherwise make it unusable. Autobashers/influencers already exist, and they're pretty easy to come by. Changing a target to be more newbie or script-less friendly will not change that. All it will do is promote new players, and make people who cannot play on established clients feel like they can actually do something.

I really can't see the point in arguing that changing a target, a method for interacting with the game, would impact the game itself. Especially in a low-yield area. You aren't going to get rich off of faethorn. You aren't going to amass hundreds of thousands of esteem there either, or hit demi just repeatedly influencing it. Arguing against making any area more-friendly to people who -DONT- use high-end scripting just seems sort of silly to me.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Totally not on point, but make sure you beg ladies/daughters every once in a while. Piles of gold usually just sitting there.
    I don't use GCMP for bashing....am I doing it wrong?

• I don't really see how encouraging people to read/pay attention less is that helpful for the game. Newbie or not, it really doesn't take that much to influence "brownie" instead of "fae", nor is it really that terrible to influence the knights, anyway. When there were more Faethorn fights, I'd even make a sweep of Faethorn begging all the knights (as a true newbie, even), and get all kinds of free herbs people dropped when they died. Some of the knights, honour guards especially, are loaded, too. 

It doesn't take "hours of coding" to switch an influence target. Even I can do that.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • We can continue to be condescending, that's fine.

Let's assume you're using a client you aren't intimately familiar with. This client uses a language you've never had to use. Suddenly the simplest of functions is a fun exploration into new territory, and something that would normally take ten minutes takes three hours. That's my experience with nexus client. Nexus client does not handle functions like any other reasonable client. You would have to tinker with it yourself to see, because there is really no good way for me to understand it, but again... we're missing the point here.

It takes just as little effort to target 'mantis', 'hog', and 'crawler' on the elemental plane of fire. It takes just as little effort to do a lot of simple things. No one is claiming it's difficult, no one is claiming it's game-breaking. It was a simple suggestion for ease-of-use for people who either A) aren't familiar with MUDs, B) are using a system that is unfamiliar to them (keep in mind, this is part of why Camberre is leaving us), or C) have medical issues that make extended typing sessions less than pleasant. With even rudimentary scripting you can make any MUD playable by anyone, even people who are blind. I've been able to maintain extended play sessions through a decent balance of pain medication and converting everything in the game outside of direct roleplay and communication to a series of macros centered around a USB numpad with toggles to switch between various modes. Nerve pain is fun!

But no, streamlining the way we interact with the game is a terrible thing, because it obviously ruins the entire game. I guarantee you every single person here has done something in their client to make things more convenient, or better suit their needs. Whether it be a simple highlight or what-have-you. This is just absurd.
    So... am I the only one who still kills astral beasts by using "mitran/bull/fesix," fire critters by "mantis/hog/crawler," etc? I feel like I am being told this is wrong. :(
  • I don't really think it's valid to use "I can't code" as an argument for change though given the nature of the game and the abundance of support (from what I've seen) to get people started at the very least.
  • Falmiis said:
    I don't really think it's valid to use "I can't code" as an argument for change though given the nature of the game and the abundance of support (from what I've seen) to get people started at the very least.
    "I can't code" is the exact same argument that got astralbeast added. If they could code, they would have used GMCP to target by number, not by generic noun. Then nobody would have lost their mounts during astral bashes. :|
    edited December 2015
    Xenthos said:
    So... am I the only one who still kills astral beasts by using "mitran/bull/fesix," fire critters by "mantis/hog/crawler," etc? I feel like I am being told this is wrong. :(
    When I think about it I use astralbeast, but I usually tend to just do bull/goat/etc. Only one I always remember for is eagle, because eagle beasts. I also target grubs and gargoyles on Earth as grubs and gargoyles, and similar on fire.

EDIT: And I can actually code, I just...don't use GCMP for bashing.

Kurut said:
    Falmiis said:
    I don't really think it's valid to use "I can't code" as an argument for change though given the nature of the game and the abundance of support (from what I've seen) to get people started at the very least.
    "I can't code" is the exact same argument that got astralbeast added. If they could code, they would have used GMCP to target by number, not by generic noun. Then nobody would have lost their mounts during astral bashes. :|

Uh, not everyone has GMCP available in their client. I sure don't. All my coding tends to be more complex because of that. Please stop speaking for everyone when you are not speaking for everyone.
  • I don't think people disagreeing with you is condescending, @Kurut. It just means that they disagree. 

If anything, I think the idea that new people shouldn't need to read  to accomplish what they want (in a text game, no less) or we lose them, is condescending to the people this kind of game attracts.

Influencing doesn't even require coding. At all. The most complex thing I can manage, personally, is aliases to make commands shorthand, and one to target. I still influence that way, and never hit a single knight unless I want to. The only people this change would make anything more "convenient" for are those who want to just push a button and let their auto scripts do their thing. Which is against the rules, whether you're AFK or not.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • If using ZMUD, CMUD, MUSHclient or any of various other clients without GMCP support, you could still code to target by number fairly easily. (Unless you're on Telnet, then you're on your own)

GMCP just makes that process much easier. It's an example, not the end-all rule.
  • @Riluna, the afk influencers/bashers don't care/need for things to be more convenient. They're going to do what they do no matter what the targeting nouns are. Meanwhile, those of us with macros for each influencing attack are tossed to the wind because people have this twisted notion that making targeting in a low-profit area easier will lead to masses of afk influencing (despite the fact that you need to walk constantly, and there are only 3 of each fae)
    I did indeed write a script which can run off of ih to target things. It is more spammy and complex than I generally care for. I only ever really use it for the Undervault when I want to save myself the trouble of switching targets lots. I just really object to your blanket assertions. I am a programmer. I write code for a living. I don't need you telling me what I can / can't do.

Ps: cMud does have GMCP support, I have just never been able to successfully convert my system to it. I got 95% of the way there, but cMud is so much laggier than zMud (primarily based on how my system is written). Once the overhaul is finished I may just rewrite the curing from the ground up in a non-database manner (cMud does not do well with databases according to Zugg) and see how that goes. In the meantime, no GMCP is available.
  • @Xenthos I didn't mean to berate everyone who bashes/influences by noun, I was just trying to explain in some meaningful way that their vehement opposition to streamlining targeting in low-level areas was unfounded and... well, silly.

I've come to see a lot of things that make playing the game difficult for new players after being forced to switch to the html5 client, and it seems like any time quality-of-life suggestions are made, long-time players suddenly forget that not everyone has access to their comprehensive curing systems, influencers, bashers, autowalkers, etc etc etc... I've been doing everything manually, and my suggestions often stem from complications I've run into while playing the game on a client I am unfamiliar with, and that same client has virtually no support as far as the scripting community goes. Coincidentally, it is also the same client most true newbies will end up using on their first visit to our wonderful little world.