Simple Ideas

Comments

• I don't have comprehensive curing systems, influencers, bashers, autowalkers, etc etc etc.. I still don't think it's that helpful or meaningful a change. I just don't think dumbing down the minimal effort required is beneficial to Lusternia, especially when you're talking about a quest. A very simple quest. Because if you're not there for the fae gathering quest, what's wrong with influencing a knight or two, as well, if all you want to target with is "fae"?

It really seems like your argument "for the newbies" is rather disingenuous, when your focus is on scripting issues. Which you're simultaneously saying aren't that hard to solve anyway? Gathering Fae requires absolutely zero code. Plenty of newbies still do it to this day (I see them do so all the time), without complaining about hitting knights.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Let me make this very simple. I will go step my step.

I have 7 weighted bonus to empower.

I am trans influence, which means I have access to all influence attacks for each type.

It takes between 3 and 11 influence attempts per fae.

Fae knights are on the higher end of the number of influence attempts.

I have already said that this change would not affect me, as I have already addressed the issue for my personal influencing targeting.

Now imagine a newbie, who does not have all of these things.

Imagine this fancy new thing, with all the scrolling text.

Imagine their frustration when they lose an ego battle only to realize they weren't even influencing what they needed to influence for their guild tasks.

Let me repeat, so you can understand. This does not affect me. I personally do not benefit from this.

This is an idea to streamline targeting in an area that is regularly used for newbie tasks.
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    What you are missing is... what newbie is going to target them as "fae" to begin with? It is most logical for a newbie to target something by its name rather than by its type of being. Sure, they can now figure it out by probing, but you're making a much bigger deal of this than is needed. I mean, heck, I still influence them by type, too. Manually entered, to boot.

Like I said earlier, I have nothing against the idea itself in particular. I am mostly just perplexed as to why you are making it out to be something so onerous when it just... isn't.
  • Simpler solution to "I just lost a battle with something I did not mean to battle."

Read HELP 5.19

Don't influence that thing until you're more ready. Learn to not influence that thing, instead of demanding the game change so you don't have to.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • The introduction heavily stresses that you PROBE everything. When you probe fae, you see the list of nouns and fae is among them. The tasks for newbies also state 'fae'. While some, or maybe even most, newbies will go and use pooka or pigwidgeon or whatever, there are others who will PROBE, as the intro taught them so well to do, and realize they don't have to type out a massive, funky word (looking at you, pigwidgeon) to influence something.
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.

• Kurut said:
    The introduction heavily stresses that you PROBE everything. When you probe fae, you see the list of nouns and fae is among them. The tasks for newbies also state 'fae'. While some, or maybe even most, newbies will go and use pooka or pigwidgeon or whatever, there are others who will PROBE, as the intro taught them so well to do, and realize they don't have to type out a massive, funky word (looking at you, pigwidgeon) to influence something.
    If they did PROBE these mobs then they would have needed to target them with a noun in the first place. Even if you then see that you can target with "fae" I think it's quite obvious if you see a fae knight in the room that you can probably also target that with "fae". At that stage, the lesson from the intro about probing should kick in and they should probe the knight and see that they're much stronger than the novice is ready for.
  • Falmiis said:

Kurut said:
    The introduction heavily stresses that you PROBE everything. When you probe fae, you see the list of nouns and fae is among them. The tasks for newbies also state 'fae'. While some, or maybe even most, newbies will go and use pooka or pigwidgeon or whatever, there are others who will PROBE, as the intro taught them so well to do, and realize they don't have to type out a massive, funky word (looking at you, pigwidgeon) to influence something.
    If they did PROBE these mobs then they would have needed to target them with a noun in the first place. Even if you then see that you can target with "fae" I think it's quite obvious if you see a fae knight in the room that you can probably also target that with "fae". At that stage, the lesson from the intro about probing should kick in and they should probe the knight and see that they're much stronger than the novice is ready for.
    This is assuming they have the forethought to know that fae knights exist. Fae knights rarely wander to the archways that lead to etherseren/etherglom. The newbie could run into three or more fae before seeing a knight.

While I'm thinking about it, do we still have the problem of accidentally trying to influence wiccan ents? Years ago, when faethorn was a more bustling place (combat everywhere), if you were out influencing fae, it was not uncommon to accidentally attempt to influence the shrouded fae of an equally shrouded wiccan who was either harvesting herbs or doing whatever else that might keep them still for a few moments.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm confused as to why people are arguing against something that won't matter to them or harm them in any way.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Welcome to most of human history.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited January 2016
    You must be new here.

EDIT: And there is harm that comes from too much "convenience." Maybe not directly, but we don't really need to dumb things down until they're effortless. That's a debate for another thread, though.

• Ixion said:
    Can we please have a Wonder Cornucopia activate all command?

It's silly that activating all 7 bonuses should put you off balance for 8.5 seconds!

WONDERCORNUCOPIA ACTIVATE INFUSIONS

Would it be too much to ask for a TWIST mechanic on the coal/peppermint to just change the desc? I'm sorry but a coal bin is not very exciting next to a friggin' Drill or Mattocks!
  • Second the wondercorn thing. @estarra

• edited January 2016
    double

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    For dramube, can tokens have their associated numbers in the name instead of the description alone? I made a little script to make it easier to sort them out back when I did it, but I really feel like this shouldn't be necessary and adds unnecessary tedium.
    6800h, 6800m, 9300e, 10p, 26400en, 26400w Bex-put coal in oven
    You really don't want to put a chunk of coal in an oven.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited January 2016
    Can we have our nexus tenders say something like this whenever we get the message that they've stepped out of the portal:

cgt Welcome <newbie>! Please read CGHELP WELCOME and CGHELP <guild> to get started and feel free to ask questions here, with CGT <question> or on the commune aether proper with CT <questions>

Of course,^ newbie^ is replaced by their actual name, and ^guild^ by the cghelp filename.

Met a newbie today who had come in when no one else was awake, even though I came in right after, and was aake before, so she wasn't sure what to do....
    I mean, I'd like to assume she would have sorted things out quickly, but the little bit of flavor and guidance the above gives would be useful for those truly new MUD/text type games.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

No. Absolutely no.
  • Shaddus said:
    No. Absolutely no.
    WHy not?

• So, several trans'd tradeskills give you a single special personal item, Bookbinding->Tome, Emch-Tinkering->Glasses,  Ench-Spellcraft->Crown of the Magi, Tailoring->Slendors, jewelry->Teirstone, Alchemy->Philosophers STone, Artisan-> PRized furniture, etc.

Basically, it would be neat if you could customize such items in a manner similar to weapons, pay 50 credits and then you get a unique name and description. 

• Tylwyth said:
    So, several trans'd tradeskills give you a single special personal item, Bookbinding->Tome, Emch-Tinkering->Glasses,  Ench-Spellcraft->Crown of the Magi, Tailoring->Slendors, jewelry->Teirstone, Alchemy->Philosophers STone, Artisan-> PRized furniture, etc.

Basically, it would be neat if you could customize such items in a manner similar to weapons, pay 50 credits and then you get a unique name and description. 
    I think there was an announce once that said no tradeskill items are ever supposed to become permanent. Knowing that, you could still customize them, I guess, but know that they will decay.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    That would be wrong.  Masterplate is and has always been permanent (just not resetting).  With the advent of clothing runes, you can now make splendors permanent too.  I think magicrowns allowed being made permanent with jewellery runes as well, though I'm not sure about that one.

What you're thinking of is that if you switched to a class that doesn't have access to a tradeskill, you should not use its master item.  They've since mechanically instated that by making the master-items just not work at all if you don't have the tradeskill active.
  • Xenthos said:
    That would be wrong.  Masterplate is and has always been permanent (just not resetting).  With the advent of clothing runes, you can now make splendors permanent too.  I think magicrowns allowed being made permanent with jewellery runes as well, though I'm not sure about that one.

What you're thinking of is that if you switched to a class that doesn't have access to a tradeskill, you should not use its master item.  They've since mechanically instated that by making the master-items just not work at all if you don't have the tradeskill active.
    That definitely sounds right. But I remember an announce specifically talking about runing crowns, actually. And how that's not supposed to be a thing. From Estarra.

But it's hard to sort through old newsposts. :/

• Xenthos said:

Years ago (~2010), I had a permanent magicrown because I had influence runes on my crown and I was told it was a bug, by people and confirmed by @Estarra when she responded to the bug I filed, that magi crown shouldn't ever be possible to make permanent.

It is the reason I don't trans spellcraft, because you can't have two crowns. I would love if this has changed and you are allowed to make a permanent magicrown via artifact runes.
  • edited January 2016
    Well, unlike weapons, I was thinking you wouldn't be able to rune them(unless you already could) just customize things that could be potentially/effectively permanent anyway. They still wouldn't work if you don't have the skill active).And if you permaforget the skill then you get the credits back(assuming you lose the item, get the normal return rate, IDK how that works).

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Ayisdra said:
    Xenthos said:

Years ago (~2010), I had a permanent magicrown because I had influence runes on my crown and I was told it was a bug, by people and confirmed by @Estarra when she responded to the bug I filed, that magi crown shouldn't ever be possible to make permanent.

It is the reason I don't trans spellcraft, because you can't have two crowns. I would love if this has changed and you are allowed to make a permanent magicrown via artifact runes.
    Yeah, my trans Spellcraft is totally wasted because I have important runes on my circlet and I can't just wear a different crown on top of it. Never thought I'd feel punished for having artifacts, but it's just kinda worked out that way, heh. Would love a change. (If this was already changed at some point and I missed it, now's the time for someone to chime in and let me know.)
  • So this is really dumb, and really pathetic, but I'd love to be able to have the command

STABLE PAY <BEAST> MAXIMUM

...because math is hard sometimes. 
    Seretenin (I think) did actually pay 50 credits to customise their magic tome once. It still decayed, but it was interesting to say the least.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited January 2016
    The good news is magicrown isn't all that great, so it's not a huge loss. I have 11k mana which is plenty to never worry about mana, I barely even notice the crown. 

Detaching a rune from an item is only 25 credits now, super cheap! 

I would bet a handful of credits that you can make them permanent now because, unlike in 2010, the unique trade skill items no longer work if you don't have the trade. So you can't game the system and have them all at once like you used to be able to. Having permed items you can't use isn't a big deal. I have a permanent pyrocannon for no reason, I never play pyrochem and it's useless 98% of the time, but it saves me the headache of remaking it when I do swap. It's the same concept. 

Email support or issue yourself if you want to switch trades and not pay to swap the runes out and explain it all. Maybe it's a quick fix for them. 

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    The ability for us to use ^ targeting and stuff in descriptions, so I can do describe self ^luce_he keeps ^luce_his claws neat and trimmed.

And I can look at myself and see You are a bouncing furrikin and you keeps your claws neat and trimmed. but other people see He is a bouncing furrikin and he keeps his claws neat and trimmed. unless I genderbend/bubble, then they'll see She is a bouncing furrikin and she keeps her claws neat and trimmed.

Admittedly, the first person will be awkward sometimes, but if nothing else it'll cut the number of descriptions I'd need to write for characters in half.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    edited January 2016
    Can we get buffs that aren't counting show up in red or have a mark next to them or something on bodyscan? All the numbers together like that sort of blur together a bit when I try to scrutinize them, so it'd be nice to have an immediate way to see if something's not helping.