Promotional Crates!

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Definitely something I'll be buying when I get paid.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Is there any chance that the crates could run until after the start of january? Most of my money (and probably a lot of other people too) is tied up in buying presents for others, and I'd be able to throw a much more meaningful amount of money at crates at the start of the year.

The crates are amazing though, bought one and was not disappointed!
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I liked gnewpies, although not enough to buy them. If there was an option to trade credits to people for them I'd probably take it. They're just the right level of collectible, I think. You don't need curio level obsession, but there's still a set to grab.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    These are a great idea, but I personally would much rather a direct return of aethergoop jars for a limited time...
  • Gnewpies were great but maybe too subtle. If you didn't like them you could trade them in for credits. Different dolls were worth different amounts, at worst it was a 30% credit sale.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Dys said:
    Gnewpies were great but maybe too subtle. If you didn't like them you could trade them in for credits. Different dolls were worth different amounts, at worst it was a 30% credit sale.
    Yeah. I admittedly didn't like gnewpies at first (I wanted a credit sale!), but then I did the math on trade-ins and had at it. And after that, I didn't even bother trading any of them in yet.

• Portius said:
    Clarify: Equal chance of each option, or is it weighted towards some over others?

@Estarra can we have an answer to this question?
    Yeah. Coins or presents would really not be worth it... >.<
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Should make genie curio crates available for purchase

a curio that adds such a huge bonus should be readily available for the entire game, I for one would definitely buy them

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Or, instead of making genie curios available, we can nerf them like we've planned in the Overhaul and stop increasing the gap between the haves and the have-nots...

• Maligorn said:
    Or, instead of making genie curios available, we can nerf them like we've planned in the Overhaul and stop increasing the gap between the haves and the have-nots...
    Iseewhatyoudidthere.

We are changing how buffs stack regardless of whether genie curios are sold or not. 
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited December 2014
    Cool, sounds like a fun Ascension coming up.  8-|

In fact, it's a great idea. Get everyone to buy all the genie curio boxes to be able to compete, then nerf them all later. That's actually brilliant for money.

[/cynicism].

Also I don't see what I did there. Please enlighten me if I'm being ignorant, funny, or both.

They'll be nerfed. Personally, I mostly care for genie curios for the item generation. That alone makes them pretty rad.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Rivius said:
    They'll be nerfed. Personally, I mostly care for genie curios for the item generation. That alone makes them pretty rad.
    That's why I wanted them so much. Those items! So many items!
  • All I'm saying is, make them irrelevant first, then sell them in crates.

Even the health bonus is still nice, and it means you don't have to farm throne all the time

Just because they don't stack,doesn't mean people won't want or use them

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Maligorn said:
    Cool, sounds like a fun Ascension coming up.  8-|

In fact, it's a great idea. Get everyone to buy all the genie curio boxes to be able to compete, then nerf them all later. That's actually brilliant for money.

[/cynicism].

Also I don't see what I did there. Please enlighten me if I'm being ignorant, funny, or both.
    Oh, my poor child. Sometime, ask an older Magnagoran why Ceren no longer plays.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Maligorn said:
    All I'm saying is, make them irrelevant first, then sell them in crates.
    At least we are given the courtesy of being told in advance they will absolutely be nerfed in future, hence if you spend money on them you know what you are in for. Yes, I understand your argument players will feel forced to have them due to the current situation of buff stacking but it still remains an option to absolutely not care one single bit about ascension and still enjoy the game, or choose the middle road by participating for the fun of it. I've never seen anyone say "sorry you can't come do combat stuff with us because you don't have such and such", especially not because you don't have a seal. Will having one make your more 'popular'? Possibly. But there are pros and cons to being liked for your perks, and honestly ultimately if players pay for all the bonuses they should see some return. I am however 100% in favour of the planned caps or whatever is decided on as the solution to stop extreme outliers from happening. In an ideal world your suggestion would be a good one, but alas affs come first and have a ways to go before being done. And I don't think scrapping ascension for a year would be a good solution either.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    Personally, I'd love to see genie bottles become more common, but remove the buffs and only make them mini-stockings.
  • Synkarin said:

a curio that adds such a huge bonus should be readily available for the entire game, I for one would definitely buy them
    Genies were sold as limited editions and not for a limited time. It would be unethical for them to resell the same ones. However, they could sell a different version with the same effect.
  • Steingrim said:
    Synkarin said:

Genies were sold as limited editions and not for a limited time. It would be unethical for them to resell the same ones. However, they could sell a different version with the same effect.
    Unethical? I don't think so. You can still get genie pieces by people rubbing into the sets. So, I wouldn't really call them limited edition, just hard to get.

• Ayisdra said:
    Steingrim said:
    Synkarin said:

Unethical? I don't think so. You can still get genie pieces by people rubbing into the sets. So, I wouldn't really call them limited edition, just hard to get.

I think you misunderstood. They were sold as 'limited edition crates'. More crates of the same should not be sold.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Ayisdra said:

Plenty of people went and bought crates for the genies because they gave too big a boost while being "limited edition". Some people bought more than they should have, really.... stretching their finances a bit throughout the promotion. The unethical part is something being called limited edition and then being offered to everyone for another go.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    People's poor financial decisions should not punish the rest of people who made smart financial decisions and didn't stretch their finances. ..........

Limited edition doesn't really matter, look at beanie babies

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited December 2014
    Further, and as much as it pains me to say this, it's Estarra's game. She can break her own rules if she wants, and she can do what she wants if she feels like it. If it hurts your feelings that she said something was "limited edition" and she ended up later selling it again, I'm sorry.

It's like when Riot sells skins and promises they're going into the vault to never be sold again, and then brings them out a few years later. What are you going to do, quit playing? Start stalking people who buy that skin? Flop down on the floor and cry?

Edit:

And no offense, but if you think Estarra or Matt Mihaly are going to not re-sell something that made them money earlier simply because someone said it was "limited edition", you're naive ;)
  • Shaddus said:
    Further, and as much as it pains me to say this, it's Estarra's game. She can break her own rules if she wants, and she can do what she wants if she feels like it. If it hurts your feelings that she said something was "limited edition" and she ended up later selling it again, I'm sorry.

It's like when Riot sells skins and promises they're going into the vault to never be sold again, and then brings them out a few years later. What are you going to do, quit playing? Start stalking people who buy that skin? Flop down on the floor and cry?

Edit:

And no offense, but if you think Estarra or Matt Mihaly are going to not re-sell something that made them money earlier simply because someone said it was "limited edition", you're naive ;)
    It is a game and in the game pretty much anything goes. However, it is also a business and once you open a business and sell things for cash then an additional set of rules, practices, and ethics apply.

Limited edition doesn't in any way stop someone from selling different versions of nearly the same thing. They could easily be different colorered genies, solstice genies, leprechauns, leprechauns in genie costumes, or a near unlimited versions with the same perks, less perks, or even better perks.

It just doesn't seem like a can or worms to open when there's really little apparent need to do so.
  • Enyalida said:
    The policy on 'limited edititon' products, like Auction Artifacts, in IREs has been that you're paying for access to a limited resource, ability, or item. If that thing is later opened up for general purchase (Even if at a lower price), what you paid for is the benefit during that time it was limited - you paid for early access. Enjoy the fact that you had that item for months or years before anyone else did, and have benefited from that!

Don't like that? Aww, tough. Don't buy things expecting to monopolize them.
    'Limited edition' has a legal definition, from your description you seem to be describing 'limited time only' though it is understandable why people might confuse the two.