Who's Excited about The Hobbit?

Any of you guys excited about seeing the Hobbit?

I'm planning to see it opening day in that new HFR 3D.  I'm also looking forward to revisiting the LoTR as imagined by Peter Jackson.

[BANNERCODE]

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I am!! Not excited about wearing the 3D glasses though, wearing glasses over my glasses feels eghy. But finally!!

and and before it we'll watch the movies, and finish re-reading the books!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Hell yeah! I'm getting a few friends together for the Hobbit, and hopefully for a marathon movie event before hand--I may be the only one marathoning, but we'll see!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I am! I am going to eat popcorn and watch it with mom and it's gonna be awesome
    A horde of beings swarms about Your bulk. They are diverse in shape but are, without exception, horrific to look upon. Claws and teeth without number flash across Your vision, and nebulous masses of compound eyes and writhing tentacles and spindly antennae all twist around You. With the merest thought, You open wide Your maw and lazily swallow one.
  • Everiine said:
    Hell yeah! I'm getting a few friends together for the Hobbit, and hopefully for a marathon movie event before hand--I may be the only one marathoning, but we'll see!
    If you were around here, we would likely suffer a marathon with you [so many hours]. Though perhaps we'll go when you are around [the lines will be shorter then, right? Right?]

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• Definitely hugely excited!!! (Though not as rabidly excited when LOTR came out.)

The IMAX that I go to has these big oversized glasses that fit over my glasses nicely.
  • I have all of the extended editions of LOTR. I won't be able to see it until Saturday because that's when me and my girlfriend are able to see each other. On Thursday I have my last 2 final exams. So Friday, I will watch all 3 all day (11 hours of LOTR, yes!).

So pumped

• edited December 2012

Estarra said:
    Definitely hugely excited!!! (Though not as rabidly excited when LOTR came out.)

The IMAX that I go to has these big oversized glasses that fit over my glasses nicely.
    Is your IMAX gonna have the High Frame Rate?

I'd like to see an IMAX movie--though I've heard with their 3D you gotta keep your head very still.

I've already watched the EE of the first two, will do RoTK this week--sorry, I can't really see myself sitting down an entire day for 12 hours.

[BANNERCODE]
  • So what did everybody think. 

I loved it.  And the High Frame Rate 3D was awesome!  
    [BANNERCODE]
    I've heard mixed reviews about the 3D. Some really like it, and some said everything moved so fast that it skipped. I saw the 2D version and didn't feel cheated at all. And my favorite quote is definitely, "These are RHOSGOBEL RABBITS! I'd like to see them try!"
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• My favorite part was the "Good morning" bit.

I think I laughed too much on this movie. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed Fellowship when I was just 13.

• TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    edited December 2012
    I saw it in 3D (not the high frame rate one) and didn't think it felt like the 3D added anything - obviously I didn't also see it in 2D, but still.

My absolute favourite parts were all the "in jokes" for Tolkien geeks, like Gandalf saying 'oh, I can never remember their names - something the Blue' about the other two (eternally unnamed) wizards. I went with a huge bunch of my friends and you could tell when one of these jokes occurred because only two of us laughed ;)

I also realised that I am geeky enough that I didn't need the subtitles for a lot of the Elvish...

ETA: Also, I almost didn't go and see this film because I abhor Martin Freeman. He is the same in everything he's in and it's bleh and boring and I hate that they cast him when someone else would be more interesting (I can't watch the BBC Sherlock because of this). But I was really pleased with how many of Ian Holm's mannerisms he picked up, and the gentle accent, and he actually acted. It made me happy & pleasantly surprised.
    Tacita said:
    I saw it in 3D (not the high frame rate one) and didn't think it felt like the 3D added anything - obviously I didn't also see it in 2D, but still.

My absolute favourite parts were all the "in jokes" for Tolkien geeks, like Gandalf saying 'oh, I can never remember their names - something the Blue' about the other two (eternally unnamed) wizards. I went with a huge bunch of my friends and you could tell when one of these jokes occurred because only two of us laughed ;)

I also realised that I am geeky enough that I didn't need the subtitles for a lot of the Elvish...

You mean the Ithryn Luin, whose names in Middle-Earth are not recorded but in Valinor were known as Alatar and Pallando?

Yes, my geek is showing... and I, too, laughed at that part, along with about 4 other people in the packed theater.

I didn't understand nearly as much of the Sindarin any more. Though I admit, that it is Sindarin is an assumption, because I can no longer hear the difference between Quenya and Sindarin.

• High Frame Rate to me makes the picture look good.

I'm betting Jackson would have rather named the wizards but they have to dance around certain characters.  If the names weren't in The Hobbit or The Lord of The Rings (including the appendixes) they can't use stuff from other JRRT writings.  The reason we have these films at all is because JRRT made a poor movie rights deal, the current trust doesn't want to license any of the additional works, and aren't really fond of the translation to film in general.
    [BANNERCODE]
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I have to admit that I completely forgot about the 48fps thing, and didn't really notice anything different. I checked afterwards, and I had seen it in 48fps (with 3D), so I dunno why.

I enjoyed it more than all of the Lord of the Rings movies. I'm sure I spent 90% of the movie with a stupidly huge grin plastered on my face. Apart from thinking that the beginning sequence with old Bilbo and Frodo was longer than it needed to be, I liked all of the additions. Even the fact that they meet Radagast in a huge deviation from the book, I liked, because, well, they frikkin meet Radagast.

edited December 2012

Everiine said:
    Tacita said:

You mean the Ithryn Luin, whose names in Middle-Earth are not recorded but in Valinor were known as Alatar and Pallando?

Yes, my geek is showing... and I, too, laughed at that part, along with about 4 other people in the packed theater.

I didn't understand nearly as much of the Sindarin any more. Though I admit, that it is Sindarin is an assumption, because I can no longer hear the difference between Quenya and Sindarin.
    The problem with it is more that he 'names' them twice and only very retroactively, so no one is ever really sure what to call them. I think he also totally changes his mind about what they did at one point. Also what Tully said, though I don't know exactly what they can/can't use.

And it is mostly Sindarin, yes - certainly when Elrond and Gandalf are talking initially it is I think, though it can gets mixed up when people then use set phrases/idiom style things from Quenya.
    Yeah, every once in a while Quenya gets thrown in LOTR, since Elrond could by right be High King of the Noldor but chooses not to be, and Galadriel is from Valinor itself. And I choose to ignore the fact that later, Tolkien threw in the names Morinhehtar and Romestamo for the Blue Wizards, since we don't know if those names applied to the Blue Wizards or someone else. I thought Gandalf's line in the movie was perfect :) .

• @Everiine @Tacita please go on, your geeking is wonderfully informative [I really mean it]

And I'll tell you what we think of the movie after we see it on Friday, Ev [though if you were in yet we could all see it together with dinner you bum >.=.<]

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

edited December 2012
    My family banned me from playing LotR Trivial Pursuit. I won it in my first turn once...

I understand this is not traditional behaviour ;)
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited December 2012
    My LotR experience is a bit different than this.  I never actually got into the whole lore (I tried reading the Silmarillion back in junior highschool and failed miserably, haven't tried it again since then).  As such, I never really delved into the languages either.

On the other hand, Dad read the Hobbit to me when I was a wee little tyke, which has fueled a life-long love of fantasy, fiction, and reading; one chapter a night (two if I managed to beg successfully), and then when it was finished on to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I've always felt that this was a remarkably formative experience, and one that more kids should grow up with.

So, yes, I'm definitely looking forward to watching it with Dad. :)
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I feel ungeeky cause I know no elvish languages.

Tacita said:
    My family banned me from playing LotR Trivial Pursuit. I won it in my first turn once...

I understand this is not traditional behaviour ;)
    My geek friends and I would play that game and get 5/6 pieces in 30 minutes. It was the "Behind the Scenes" category that took the last 2 hours... I have since found out that I am TERRIBLE at normal Trivial Pursuit.
    Xenthos said:
    My LotR experience is a bit different than this.  I never actually got into the whole lore (I tried reading the Silmarillion back in junior highschool and failed miserably, haven't tried it again since then).  As such, I never really delved into the languages either.

On the other hand, Dad read the Hobbit to me when I was a wee little tyke, which has fueled a life-long love of fantasy, fiction, and reading; one chapter a night (two if I managed to get successfully), and then when it was finished on to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I've always felt that this was a remarkably formative experience, and one that more kids should grow up with.

So, yes, I'm definitely looking forward to watching it with Dad. :)
    I plan to do exactly this when I have kids!

• I can't believe I have to wait until the 26th of Dec! What is this injustice! NZ gets to see it a month earlier  [-(

Thanks for not spoiling things for those of us who have to waaaaait. So. Excited.

(Geek confession: my friend and I freeze-framed the FOTR when Gandalf was reading the Book of Marzarbul in Moria and deciphered what he was supposedly reading. It was nearly 10 years ago (omg what?) so I forget it now, but he was relaying things had not yet read; the runes and his script did not match up! But it was wonderful to know they made a proper book. Can't wait to watch and re-watch the Hobbit for similar awesome details!)
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Wow, I'm surprised Australia got pushed back on this, I would have expected them to go with a global release date.

Absolutely brilliant film, tinged with disappointment that I have to wait a full year before the next part and frustration that they teased the absolute shit out of Smaug. That reveal is probably going to have to be the single greatest visual moment in cinema to do it justice.

Also, for anyone who plays WoW, the Dwarven architecture seems to be copy pasted from Ironforge and Grim Batol. The game series inspired by the books now inspires the design concepts for the film, full circle we have come.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Morkarion said:
    Also, for anyone who plays WoW, the Dwarven architecture seems to be copy pasted from Ironforge and Grim Batol. The game series inspired by the books now inspires the design concepts for the film, full circle we have come.
    Personally the only thing I could think about during that entire sequence at the start was Dwarf Fortress.

Really, half the time the Dwarves were on screen all I could think about was Dwarf Fortress.  
  • Lehki said:
    Morkarion said:
    Personally the only thing I could think about during that entire sequence at the start was Dwarf Fortress.

Really, half the time the Dwarves were on screen all I could think about was Dwarf Fortress.  

• I wonder how people felt about the sequel to this.  (Thread Necro yeah, but it's still The Hobbit).  

I enjoyed it as well, although I was a little less pleased as things were a little too over-the-top action and there were less character moments in this part.  (I liked the Barrel race, but the battle against Smaug seemed a little overkill and made Smaug look a little weak).  

My Dad and I saw it on Dec 13th, and he loved it.

[BANNERCODE]
    I thought it wasn't quite as good as the first one. I agree, it tried to hard in certain places. And the entire last 40 minutes or so, with that ridiculous "fight" and race through the walls felt like the producers wanted a "big" fight for the movie and stretched and stretched to find SOMETHING they could do. It ended up being one big waste of time.

On the other side, I am REALLY liking the Dol Guldur side story. Yes, they are compressing hundreds of years of scouting, spying, and waiting into one journey, but they are doing a really good job with it. I almost wish that the first movie was the first half of the Hobbit book, the third movie was the second half, and the second movie was its own, standalone Gandalf/Dol Guldur story.

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    I liked it, because I like all fantasy with good graphics/visuals, but I'm still annoyed at Wyvern being called Dragon. 
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Well, to quote Wikipedia....

One of the last great dragons of Middle-earth, Smaug rose to prominence by laying waste to the town of Dale and capturing the Lonely Mountain (Erebor) with all of its treasure. These events occurred some 150 years before the events of The Hobbit, and Smaug was already centuries old at the time. The Hobbit recounts the tale of a party of dwarves (consisting of a few of the original residents of the Lonely Mountain and their descendants) and the hobbit Bilbo Baggins (their titular burglar) to recapture the mountain and kill the dragon. In the book, the dragon is sometimes called Smaug the Golden or Smaug the Magnificent.

Also:

In Appendix A, section III, of The Return of the King under "Durin's Folk", Smaug is mentioned briefly as "the greatest of the dragons of his day", having heard rumour of the great wealth of Erebor, he "arose and without warning came against King Thrór and descended on the mountain in flames." In this text, Dragons are stated to reside in the wastes (Withered Heath) beyond the Grey Mountains, "making war on the Dwarves, and plundering their works". It can be inferred that Smaug came from this region.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited January 2014
    "There he lay, a vast red-golden dragon, fast asleep; thrumming came from his jaws and nostrils, and wisps of smoke, but his fires were low in slumber. Beneath him, under all his limbs and his huge coiled tail, and about him on all sides stretching away across the unseen floors, lay countless piles of precious things, gold wrought and unwrought, gems and jewels, and silver red-stained in the ruddy light. Smaug lay, with wings folded like an immeasurable bat, turned partly on one side, so that the hobbit could see his underparts and his long pale belly crusted with gems and fragments of gold from his long lying on his costly bed."

He's pretty explicitly a dragon in the Hobbit. And Tolkien's own illustration of Smaug shows him having forelegs.

Or did the movies make him a wyvern when he's supposed to be a dragon? *hasn't seen the second one because of what I've heard about other things*