Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited June 2014
    No, I don't think so. If people really wanted to, they could top all three acts. They just have to want it.

EDIT: inb4 this is equated to the PvP situation

• edited June 2014
    Daraius said:
    Hey does anyone feel like it's kind of cheating to split plays into several separate productions and submit each one for prestige? On the one hand, it's one original piece of work so it doesn't seem like it should get multiple awards. But on the other hand, each production represents a certain degree of actual player coordination and effort (some more than others).

I split Nihm's script up (and I intend to do it with future productions) to make it easier for my actors and me to record, and to encourage people to actually watch the whole thing in easily digestible sections. I'm just curious if anybody finds it a little shady. Am I just overthinking it? :-S
    I've had some of the same doubts, but ultimately I think that's just paranoia. Each act is a ton of work, particularly in comparison with a five minute song. And it's a lot more manageable to watch each twenty-minute act separately, than to dedicate an hour to watching the whole thing all the way through with no way to skip acts to resume watching if you get called away.

Library rewards scale based on length and effort put into the work. Stage rewards don't, so breaking a longer work into a few smaller ones that suit the narrative arc makes sense to me.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I believe people have split bardics up into several books, I see no problems with splitting a single long play over several segments.

They're also more likely to be watched as opposed to one long piece that may drag on* in parts. As people can watch it piece meal when they have time.

*That isn't an accusation that Nihm's play drags on, I haven't even seen it!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Karlach said:

You should see it. It's pretty darn good.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    The really long ones are too! A Matter of Convenience is so funny, but I didn't have the foresight to split it up so no one ever watches it. :(
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    +1 to splitting plays up. I've had a few ideas in mind that I want to pen, and need to sit down to do so, that lend themselves to being watched in episodic chunks.

• Tarkenton said:
    +1 to splitting plays up. I've had a few ideas in mind that I want to pen, and need to sit down to do so, that lend themselves to being watched in episodic chunks.
    Now I am awaiting a wave of Lusternian steampunky/fantasy space operas. 

So that's what the Divine get up to when bored in the Havens, huh.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Welp, guess I'm giving up on my characters ever having a relationship or family. Ever.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    I feel like you've said that before.
    I used to make cakes.

• Shaddus said:
    Welp, guess I'm giving up on my characters ever having a relationship or family. Ever.
    Did I miss something?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Nope, nobody missed anything. Just a personal observation that it's foolish to emotionally or financially invest in something I can only be around 2-4 hours a day.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Cern said:

Tarkenton said:
    Now I am awaiting a wave of Lusternian steampunky/fantasy space operas. 

I started writing a Star Trek aetherspace spoof and never finished. It was a very long time ago (I know this because it's so old it has Krellan in).
  • edited June 2014
    Daraius said:
    Hey does anyone feel like it's kind of cheating to split plays into several separate productions and submit each one for prestige? On the one hand, it's one original piece of work so it doesn't seem like it should get multiple awards. But on the other hand, each production represents a certain degree of actual player coordination and effort (some more than others)

It's a tough call. It can certainly be "gamed" but on the other hand it also feels kind of wrong when a two-hour long play comprising tens of thousands of words is up against a twelve-line poem. And your points about making it easier to record and more likely to be watched are also very true, and part of why I tended more towards serials later in my career (still wonder if Separate Lives should have been done that way).

My personal rule was, if the way I'm splitting it would make sense as a serial (like if it were made into a TV show), so that each "episode" feels like a complete part of a multi-part story, then it's probably okay. (Part of why Separate Lives wasn't done that way -- while each of the four pieces is a complete story, none of those stories make any sense except in comparison to the other, each one seems like a fairly dull 'why did we bother to watch that?' tale.) I never split them into parts that were shorter than, say, 30 minutes on the stage anyway.
  • edited June 2014
    Regarding space operas, my three-part Contraption plays were exactly that, an episodic space opera.
    Lendren said:

Regarding space operas, my three-part Contraption plays were exactly that, an episodic space opera.

Speaking of plays everybody needs to watch. :x
    I used to make cakes.

• Karlach said:
    I believe people have split bardics up into several books, I see no problems with splitting a single long play over several segments.

They're also more likely to be watched as opposed to one long piece that may drag on* in parts. As people can watch it piece meal when they have time.

I think you mean Library additions, for I doubt Bardic stories will be accepted and prized with titles of "The journey of Lady Mc'beth, Part 1".
  • edited June 2014

Arcanis said:
    Karlach said:

I think you mean Library additions, for I doubt Bardic stories will be accepted and prized with titles of "The journey of Lady Mc'beth, Part 1".
    Actually, no. Quite a few people have broken up long works into several parts for the bardics (Alban, Catarin, Ialie, Lendren, Numidian, Raizan, Romero, Saaga, Shric, Tacita, Valory, Wuylinfe, Yuniko to hit the highlights). It's worth noting that most of them designed their writings as a serial, and that all of these would have been absurdly long (possibly too long to submit) if they'd tried to submit it all in one go. I personally don't see a problem with it. If you're just splitting up a story to try to get more credits, the admin will probably notice, and if it doesn't hold up to the other submissions that month, your ploy will fail. If each part is good enough to win you credits... then why not win those credits?

Writing something, anything, for publication or the stage is a lot easier than many people tend to think. Writing something long, detailed and engaging, tends to be a lot more difficult.
    Arcanis said:
    Karlach said:

Newp. People have written bardics and then submitted them for prestige afterwards in sections.

• edited June 2014
    We can remove all combat mechanics and replace all attacks with POINT WEBBING. 
    :>

EDIT:
    This isn't intended to sound snarky. 
    We don't have to PK one another to have fights and resolve conflicts. We can take peaceful fighting alternatives... One day.

(I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
    Yarith said:
    We can remove all combat mechanics and replace all attacks with POINT WEBBING. 
    :>
    Nah, just newbie kick/punch

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Yarith said:

We don't have to PK one another to have fights and resolve conflicts. We can take peaceful fighting alternatives... One day.

Clearly all domoth conflicts should be resolved over a game of Jenga!

Anyway, bad timing Ela, we were slow to gather up to stop P3, so when you went up and Ollie came in, he was already on his way to (belatedly) stop Caerlyr. Shit luck.

Karlach said:

Clearly all domoth conflicts should be resolved over a game of Jenga!

Anyway, bad timing Ela, we were slow to gather up to stop P3, so when you went up and Ollie came in, he was already on his way to (belatedly) stop Caerlyr. Shit luck.
    Granted, you probably didn't need him. People were still asking what was going on in the Domoth realms 2 minutes later... rather than coming to help the firstaid user. :D Yeah, it's really my fault for going up there solo when knowing there actually is a fight happening. No hard feelings... except for the shut up, I hate the shut up.

• Clearly all domoth conflicts should be resolved over a game of Jenga!

Couldn't agree more - I'd actually be -good- at that!
  • Maligorn said:
    Seeing as how I remember a Parua posting about having difficulties explaining to newbies why Seren was getting ground into the dirt by Glomdoring, and is a non-combatant, I really think you have no ground telling people to shut up.

People need to blow off steam, especially Elanorwen. Get off her back or start sharing the workload by learning to be a combatant.

well truth be told, coming from my own experience, I felt serenwilde was just not very tasteful (Not the people, the mechanics in place and theme) and I just wouldnt mesh there. The squirrels, flowers, and generally 'happy love' vibe just rubs me the wrong way. Now Glomdoring...that has Crow, and I do love ma crows and winged creatures of all kinds. I was pretty much sold with that (also spiders. gotta love the spiders).
    Arcanis said:

well truth be told, coming from my own experience, I felt serenwilde was just not very tasteful (Not the people, the mechanics in place and theme) and I just wouldnt mesh there. The squirrels, flowers, and generally 'happy love' vibe just rubs me the wrong way. Now Glomdoring...that has Crow, and I do love ma crows and winged creatures of all kinds. I was pretty much sold with that (also spiders. gotta love the spiders).
    It's also got icky trees. Icky trees are awesome. And purple!

• edited June 2014
    I'm really, incredibly frustrated right now. It's been a terrible day IRL and I honestly do not have the capacity right now. Sorry everyone. I'm checking out and going outside.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • But it's so humid outside. :/
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I'm sure this is beating a dead horse but,

I will never understand why cosmic entities (everywhere) attack their defenders too. Why, why would you punish the defenders like that. Is it really that hard to code the room attacks to not harm defenders?

@Ieptix put this on your to-do list, yo. Please.

This discussion has been closed.