Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    ^Bahaha
  • Morbo said:
    It isn't your responsibility to fulfill the desires of what -everyone- else wants out of the class you represent. You've done your job and don't need to feel bad about all the stuff people are saying. They have their own envoy representatives for a reason and it is they that are failing if they are complaining that no report is up to fix the damage (which now there is thanks to Enyalida)

When it comes to fixing broken things like your insane damage, it's definantly someone else's job, right? Not that I'm taking any kind of shot at her for not having the time, it's understandable. But that was just hilarious.

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Just because you can stack some insane buffs, that doesn't make the damage insane :D
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Certainly, just because you can stack buffs doesn't immediately make the damage insane.

8k damage to all enemies in the room is insane, though, buffs or no buffs.

• Having trouble getting motivated to set up combat-related stuff in the evenings because of work, but I'm slowly getting there.  Getting pretty excited to have the minimums pretty much done!  Now for a relaxing evening of sitting back, influencing, and watching some LoL streams!

Hooray productivity!

(Also hooray level 1 demesne rune)
  • I find it ridiculous for there to be any argument of the situation when there is one person, and only one person, blowing up my deathsight right now.  This is obviously something that needs fixed.  How it is fixed doesn't matter to me, as long as it is fixed.

When, in the context of an MMO, one particular class develops one tactic which exploits the behind-the-scenes numbers, they are either hotfixed or emergency-patched.  I'll make three points taking from League of Legends, as it's all I can think of right now (probably because it's all I really follow closely).

On the release of Elise, she saw little to no play.  When the magic-penetration ap-bruiser and health stacking meta began to creep around, she instantly became far too powerful to deal with because of her numbers.  For those who do not know of League of Legends, I'll explain more thoroughly:

Elise deals damage based on the opponent's health.  Her two main skills (when played this particular way) deal flat-damage, plus an percent of the opponent's health based on either how much health they currently have or how much health they are missing (depending on which form she is in).  The numbers behind the math had to be adjusted pretty quickly, as stacking magic penetration ramped up her damage to INSANE levels with little investment.

Evelynn, another champion, saw the same situation.  By dealing an incredible amount of damage based on the max health of an enemy, you could instantly be chunked for 40-65% of your health if you didn't build resistances.  This was changed.

And finally, Zyra.  Zyra's base damages in combination with the nature of her skills were so incredibly powerful that, after only days of being released, were hot-fixed.  Not patched.  Hot-fixed.  That's how ridiculous it was.

There is no difference here.  SOMETHING is making for an amount of damage which is instantly spouting of two to four names on my deathsight at the same time.  What that something is needs changed for the sake of the game.

Apologies for an incredibly long tweet, but this is irritating.  @Thul was mentioning earlier the high cost to participate in PK.  If one skill is taking out three demigods at once, it needs Fillin'd.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    What's the topic?
  • Enyalida said:
    What's the topic?
    Just a vague, venting frustration tweet.  I'm not ingrained enough into the scene to have any meaningful input to the discussions, so I just needed to vent!
  • I'm in your org, pretending to be a novice.

Points to whoever finds me, because it's boring and lonely with no clans...
  • Liok said:
    I find it ridiculous for there to be any argument of the situation when there is one person, and only one person, blowing up my deathsight right now.  This is obviously something that needs fixed.  How it is fixed doesn't matter to me, as long as it is fixed.

When, in the context of an MMO, one particular class develops one tactic which exploits the behind-the-scenes numbers, they are either hotfixed or emergency-patched.  I'll make three points taking from League of Legends, as it's all I can think of right now (probably because it's all I really follow closely).

On the release of Elise, she saw little to no play.  When the magic-penetration ap-bruiser and health stacking meta began to creep around, she instantly became far too powerful to deal with because of her numbers.  For those who do not know of League of Legends, I'll explain more thoroughly:

Elise deals damage based on the opponent's health.  Her two main skills (when played this particular way) deal flat-damage, plus an percent of the opponent's health based on either how much health they currently have or how much health they are missing (depending on which form she is in).  The numbers behind the math had to be adjusted pretty quickly, as stacking magic penetration ramped up her damage to INSANE levels with little investment.

Evelynn, another champion, saw the same situation.  By dealing an incredible amount of damage based on the max health of an enemy, you could instantly be chunked for 40-65% of your health if you didn't build resistances.  This was changed.

And finally, Zyra.  Zyra's base damages in combination with the nature of her skills were so incredibly powerful that, after only days of being released, were hot-fixed.  Not patched.  Hot-fixed.  That's how ridiculous it was.

There is no difference here.  SOMETHING is making for an amount of damage which is instantly spouting of two to four names on my deathsight at the same time.  What that something is needs changed for the sake of the game.

Apologies for an incredibly long tweet, but this is irritating.  @Thul was mentioning earlier the high cost to participate in PK.  If one skill is taking out three demigods at once, it needs Fillin'd.
    Obviously, I don't think anyone wants to see that kind of raw damage output, even in 'nuking'. Not like this, at least (I mean, I could see an argument for it, in some kind of high-cost situation).

Once I heard it had occurred, I talked to someone who seemed to have a bit more first-hand knowledge - I had a couple suspicions. Once I looked into it, it seems like my suspicions were correct, though there's a lot more to it than just 'fixing' it, as it's a matter that's particularly exacerbated by higher damage output. Fixing it would probably bring down certain groups of people outside of this one (chemantics), although to markedly less noticeable degrees. Part of the problem is also that once you add certain damage boosts together, it causes issues like this with big pools.

We'll have to look at it, and Iosai's going to confirm that my suspicions are right (damage code is really old, and there's exceptions to rules that otherwise would exist and... It's kind of a head ache. And it's definitely late, so I might be reading things wrong. Don't think so, though.

I don't know how easy or hard it will be to fix - but it will be soon, hopefully!

It's in far more capable hands than mine now, anyways. :)
  • Better late than never. Having no actual access to the code, we as players can only identify symptoms that may or may not indicate a problem within said code. And unfortunately, the vast majority of the time, we are left guessing because even if the symptoms get fixed, we never know what the actual problem was. In this specific case, the symptom is particularly egregrious, and whatever the cause, I would have expected it to be changed. Thank you for taking the time to clarify that suspicions made by Ushaara and others who took the time to test the skill (thanks to you guys too); I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    edited March 2013
    I'm in your org, pretending to be a novice.

All I need to do is drop some donuts/hot males around and find the first nub to jump on them.
    Alternatively, the first nub who tries to kill their ally.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    edited March 2013

I'll be your friend. Step into my white van and let's chat.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Neos said:

All I need to do is drop some donuts/hot males around and find the first nub to jump on them.
    Alternatively, the first nub who tries to kill their ally.
    You're next.
  • "We were bashing together, and I mistargetted, and next thing I know Avechna was yelling at me. I don't know what happened!"
  • This code is not cooperating.
    Akyaevin said:
    "We were bashing together, and I mistargetted, and next thing I know Avechna was yelling at me. I don't know what happened!"
    Code thing I neither bash, nor interact with nubs.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Neos said:
    Akyaevin said:
    "We were bashing together, and I mistargetted, and next thing I know Avechna was yelling at me. I don't know what happened!"
    ... the implication here is that any old nub can kill you, of course.
  • Really getting into SMITE.  So much fun.
    Xenthos said:
    Neos said:
    Akyaevin said:
    ... the implication here is that any old nub can kill you, of course.
    I'm easily griefed :(

Signature!

Celina said:
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Lack of Crowbonics still makes me sad. Means Pyrochem gets delayed too. :(
  • Viynain said:
    Lack of Crowbonics still makes me sad. Means Pyrochem gets delayed too. :(
    It's not really delayed if it's not varied from its committed an end date ("after geochemantics"), no? Now if we said it would be done after Acklechem, that'd be a delay....

(/semantics)

• Eventru said:
    Viynain said:
    It's not really delayed if it's not varied from its committed an end date ("after geochemantics"), no? Now if we said it would be done after Acklechem, that'd be a delay....

(/semantics)
    If you want to be semantic, I believe you said you were aiming to have all six out before the War seal. So based on that, it's kinda delayed :P
  • Ssaliss said:

Eventru said:
    Viynain said:

(/semantics)
    If you want to be semantic, I believe you said you were aiming to have all six out before the War seal. So based on that, it's kinda delayed :P
    Um. No, I'm pretty sure I didn't, heh. I think I said it'd be nice, but I've never committed to an end date (it's not my project!).

If I did, I was probably being a bit facetious regarding someone's complaint re not having -chem specs for their orgs.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ickytrees!  We want Ickytrees!
    GLORY BE TO ICKYTREES. NOTHING MATTERS BUT ICKYTREES.
  • Jagrerox is such a noob who didn't even tell us how to work him until 30 minutes into the event and by that time all the places we'd already checked all the other orgs had gotten them and i'm dead last and I was leading and auuuuuugh freaking bards. That is all.
  • Marcella said:
    Jagrerox is such a noob who didn't even tell us how to work him until 30 minutes into the event and by that time all the places we'd already checked all the other orgs had gotten them and i'm dead last and I was leading and auuuuuugh freaking bards. That is all.
    Actually, each guild had their own places, one at a time, randomly picked when they started that 'round'. Your first one was always in that first place, and it's the only place that would ever be found until you found it and the next one was on Jagrerox's "rot"dar!
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    We lucked out getting our first two both in the Scorpion Caverns

then I totally randomly found it in the Imperial highway looking for bards

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
This discussion has been closed.