Transgender Discussion (Potential Trigger Warning)

This discussion was created from comments split from: Gender and Respect.
7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.

Comments

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited January 2015
    So, hey everyone. I've been thinking about this a lot and I know that I can be loud and proud about what I believe in game wise. But this is real life, so it's taken me a while to formulate my thoughts regarding this.

I'm sharing with you my viewpoint because you guys are my second family. My home away from home. I trust you guys to not bite my head off SJW style. So here goes.

I come from a moderately conservative family. My mother is an internal medicines doctor and my father is a clinical psychologist. I've been taught all my life that willpower is the key to solving any mental issue you face, and if that fails, there is medicine and treatment waiting for you. When I see someone that is blatantly transgender or undergoing hormone therapy, I become literally squeamish in my stomach. It's not out of disgust but empathetic pity that they'd assign such a stigma to themselves, saying "look at how dysphoric and unbalanced I am!"

I know that's irrational, and I have my own mental problems that lead into that, but that's really how I feel.

So I have to look deeply into this. How much of the fight against binary gendering is truly heartfelt and how much is just a "fight the power and the people who want to label you". I've been raised to believe that dysphoria, even gender dysphoria, can be solved with treatment, medication and psychotherapy.

And yet I see scans of a man's brain showing it to have MORE than a few similarities to a woman's -- it's just that the poor person was assigned a Y chromosome instead of an X. Beyond their genitalia, they really are women -- they were shaped to be that way, just something in the genetic code went awry during formation of the baby.

So then I have to ask, how much is nature and how much is nurture. Nature would be having the literally female brain in a man's body. Nurture would be, say, childhood trauma instilled a gender dysphoria in the patient. How do we treat each person. When a person consents to treatment, that means that they actually cannot demand a medicine from their doctor -- your doctor has full control over what he or she prescribes to you (that way, you can't walk into the office saying "I have a headache, give me x milligrams of xanax doc". But naturally, you can go around seeing different doctors until you find the one that gives you the answer you're looking for.

How much of it is motivated by sexual fetish. If I were a doctor and someone came to me looking for hormone therapy or gender reassignment surgery, I would probably refuse them if their only reason was to satisfy their sexual needs. The pragmatist in me screams "why would you want to be a woman in what is literally a man's world (higher wages, higher employment, etc. I'm NOT TRYING TO BE CHAUVINISTIC the facts are just there y'all (though slowly equalizing)). The pragmatist also says why would you let yourself be assigned such a social stigma.

What I wonder is how many so-called transgender or genderfluid people can be treated with normal methods -- not electrotherapy or any bullshit like that -- but medicine and psychotherapy (and how many would actually want to do that) -- and how many would achieve the greatest sense of happiness from hormone therapy or gender reassignment.

EDIT: It's a long watch, but I fell in love with this Australian TV show thing. Relevant to topic.

edited January 2015
    Uh, wow. Sorry about that! "Triggering" has been kind of made laughable by what I've seen from Tumblr SJWs, but I should've realized that I was making a legitimate post to all you adults here. I'm very sorry about that, I should've been more sensitive to that.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I have comments on this, that I'll make a little later. Don't know why, I just feel the need to mention that.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm moving this out of the Gender and Respect thread because this sort of discussion is sufficiently removed from the purpose of the original thread; that thread is there to note the expectations of the administration in regards to the subject at hand, and to make sure that those sensitive to such issues know they are safe in Lusternia. While you are reaching for understanding, and I know your motives here are in no way malicious or accusatory, it's nonetheless a very sensitive topic, particularly for those who have to deal with gender issues directly in their own lives, and questioning of these things can lead to discomfort and a perceived lack of safety even when motives are pure.

I'll note as well, that while I applaud your desire to understand these sorts of gender issues, this topic runs close to the edge of rules regarding OOC political discussion, in a way that it deals heavily in topics that are heavy, emotional, controversial (even if they really shouldn't be). It's a murky line, and one I'll leave to the forum moderators (and Estarra) to decide on, but know this thread may be closed later regardless.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I'm just going to add the following to this conversation:

Klinefelter syndrome

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    edited January 2015
    Before the rest of the post, I just want to make it clear that I do not consider myself to be on the Trans* spectrum, though I do consider myself an ally. This means that not only is what I say not representative of all trans people (duh?), it's not even representative of me as a trans person. So, that. I like to think that I have a decent outsider's insight, but I'm all ears, correct me if I'm wrong.

@Maligorn, the answer to your question "How do we treat people?" is "With difficulty, and hopefully sensitivity.". 

The basic problem you describe is a constant struggle, not only for those trying to figure out the best way to support someone on the trans spectrum, but for those trans people as well. Not only is the trans person wrestling with gender dysphoria and potential body dysmorphia, both agonizing, doubt can be crippling. Imagine all of the doubt and anxiety involved with just... growing up, or being a more 'typical' adult... now add in the words "freak", "pervert", "crazy", "abused", and turn it up to 11. 

I mentioned gender dysphoria and body dysmorphia, which are two separate things. In general, I would say that the trans* experience is typified by the former (dysphoria) not dysmorphia. That is, trans people were gender dysphoric, but not all trans people had (or have) dysmorphia. Gender dysphoria has to do with a disconnect between what society expects of you because of your biological sex and your internal self, you don't match your gender's assigned roles and are a better fit for a different gender's role and expectations. Body dysmorphia is all about you, the 'mind and soul' that comprise your identity are at severe odds with your physicality, your body. BDD (body dysmorphic disorder) is not confined to a transsexual experience, it's any time you have a severe anxiety about your body, often involving a distorted perception of it. 

BDD is a mental illness, it is an anxiety disorder. Gender dysphoria is not, by DSMV standards - the highest psychological diagnostic standards in the land, as it were. That isn't to say that people wo have gender dysphroria are free from mental illness, the opposite tends to be true: Not only is potential BDD in the mix, the extraordinary stresses on the gender dysphoric in such a gender charged society are enormous, and trans (and other Queer* people) often are reluctant to seek help, more so than their cis-gendered or heteronormative counterparts. 

So, that might answer part of your question on how to treat gender dysphoria is: You don't. At least not from an internest/psychopharmacological standpoint You can't treat or solve it any more than you can treat being left handed, or preferring apple pie to chocolate cake, or being one of those sad sad freaks for whom cilantro tastes like soap. What you do is 'manage' your dysphoria. The most direct solution is to move towards the gender role (or eschew gender roles) that reduces your dysphoria. You were born with a penis, and have dysphoria. Living as a woman reduces your dysphoria, solution found. Penis can go, penis can stay, doesn't always matter.

Often times, the medical interventions involved in SRS/GRS procedures are exceedingly expensive. Just this week, I was looking at the numbers, wondering how much it would cost for a trans woman friend to remove her extra appendages. It's a lot. In some states (I'll leave it there, no politics) and countries, there is insurance that covers these procedures, and in all cases one of the requirements to qualify is a period of the following:

1) Living successfully as your target sex. That is, at home, at work, in public, you should be presenting an identity consistent with your desired sex.

2) You must undergo a period of counseling, and have a signed letter from your mental health provider attesting to your sincerity and capacity to handle the surgery.

3) You must undergo a period in which you are using less invasive means to move towards your target sex, like hormone replacement therapy. 

I won't comment too much on what I think about these (and other requirements), and how they potentially price out many trans people, who are a particularly disadvantaged population, even when compared to other Queer populations. That covers most of the concern about people "Just in it for the kicks", or the like.  There is a sexual fetish involved with cross-dressing, that has nothing to do with trans* identities, and you don't call people with that fetish trans (and they almost certainly do not too)!

I want to also point out, as an aside: Electrotherapy is alive and well. It's a useful and gentle tool for treating depression and other mental disorders, usually employed on people who cannot tolerate some antidepressants, like old or pregnant people.

*Queer terminology is famously personal and contentious. When I say "Queer" I mean it to include all the LGBT+, alternate-gender-and-sexual-experience people. I do draw the line somewhere, I wrote a looong screed about 'otherkin' the other day, as a comment on a blog post about them. But in general, I mean Queer to include all those people, and allies!
    I kind of rambled there, but I hopefully at least addressed all of the things you mention, @Maligorn

To any and all trans* people who might read the boards, or people who are educated in Queer healthcare/support, was that accurate? I'm just entering the health care profession, I and my bestie hope to eventually become NPs specializing in queer care, though she's more into women's health specific issues* than I.

*Including trans women AND men. If you've ever had a cervix dudes, you still need to get checked for cervical cancers and other "women's health issues", as much as you aren't a woman. DAMN YOU, DOUBLE XX!
  • Thanks for that. That seems really well-informed. What I was worried about, I suppose, is people making hipshot decisions on this and being allowed to do so, but to know that therapy and counseling is involved beforehand is comforting.

If you want your x y z gone, you -should- have to see a psychiatric for a few months and then see how you feel. What you might unravel in therapy might solve your dysphoria more than dressing up or looking the part does. Am I right?

edited January 2015
    Sort of. Usually though, it's one of those things that's so deeply felt that there is little question. For some, it may be that remaining in the gender they were assigned at birth IS the right thing to do for them. That does not mean that they were wrong or mistaken. It just means that it's the best course available to that person.

Something I mentioned, but neglected to make a big enough deal about is that language about requiring outside investigation 'just in case' can come off as really paternalistic. It can sound like you're saying that you (or some professional, historically a heteronormative man - THE man) knows you better than you know you. That they know what's best for you, and you don't. 

Of course, that's nothing like what visiting a good, modern mental health professional should be like. My mother (the psychotherapist) always tells me that for all the tools she has in her mental health box, what really does the work on the therapist's couch is the special relationship built between the provider and the client. You untangle problems together, it's not about the therapist getting out the scalpel and magnifying glass, locating the problem, and slicing it off - nothing so unilateral. 

So yes, it's good that people see a therapist before undergoing such a frankly traumatic experience. It's good for veryone to seek counseling all the time, if they can afford it. It's just a good idea. It's not so much about 'making sure it's really who they are', it's about having support and clarity, and being more healthy - for a population that is absolutly rife with punishing mental illness and disorder, as I mentioned above. Seriously, the statistics are staggering. A big part of it is the pressure and heat of being who they are, coupled with a tendency to fear help (because of the above perceptions I talk about, with THE MAN poking around in your head), allowing problems to take root and entrench themselves .
  • Enyalida mentioned a point about insurance, and my birdies wanted it expanded on a little bit. 

Some insurance policies are very flexible about prescribing androgen and estrogen for trans* patients. Most people working insurance love them for it. Most, however, are NOT so flexible about those or other hormones involved in transitioning, even if they are for other uses (such as preventing cancers, reproductive viability, or cosmetic or lifestyle reasons (men taking testosterone to postpone or prevent pattern baldness)). This is unfair, but it's how the industry works. Anyone transitioning is usually in for a long, uphill struggle to get their medications, and will often be subjected to multiple rounds of appeals if they get it at all. 

For all of the faults of the Affordable Care Act, the fact that it established a level of medical necessity review that is not in the hands of the insurance company itself is a GODSEND for many patients, and the fact that this level is required to be offered is likely the best thing to come out of a bill that I generally agree with anyway. It's a pain, and a layer of red tape, but it has overturned more than one ruling that would have denied these patients affordable medicines.

I sincerely doubt anyone would willingly subject him or herself to such a process if they were anything but serious about it.
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, that's edging on political stuff that's... contentious. I think we can all agree that in a perfect world, people would have full and free access to all needed preventative and responsive health care, including mental health care. Pesky things like money and human nature and 'needing to feed my children' keep getting in the way.

An interesting (mild, and generally apolitical, as I remember it) talk about the way the US mishandles young trans* people can be viewed here.

The gist is that in some places, trans girls and boys like the ones depicted in @Maligorn's videos are prescribedmedication that will stop them from having the wrong puberty until they're ready to undergo assisted puberty as their correct sex/gender. This is a way easier-on-the-body approach that gets better results, with the "bonus" of saving some poor kid from the terrifying and horrifying process of wrong puberty. Really, that's the best part, puberty is scary enough already.

EDIT: UH, it shows in my preview, but dies when I post.  Let me fix it.
  • I'd like to stress for those choosing to participate in this discussion to try to be very respectful on both sides of the subject.

I know more about homosexuality, and there's still no definitive answer as to why someone is gay or not, though most believe the biggest role is environmental or genetic or some combination thereof. BTW, when scientists talk about "environmental" causes of homosexuality, they mean the environment of the fetus in utero (generally looking at hormone levels of the mother while the fetus is in the womb), and not the environment after the child is born (i.e., sexuality has nothing to do with a domineering mother or a weak father or not being held enough or whatever). In any event, it is generally believed that sexual orientation is set by the time the child is three years old. And, as pointed out, brain scans show that there is indeed physiological differences between gays and straights.

It's my understanding that causes of transgenderism is even more a mystery than homosexuality (which, again, is not fully understood). Could there be genetic or environmental reasons? No one knows. Of course, no one talks about what if there's a spiritual cause (a feminine soul born into a male body and vice versa), and I guess there's no room for that sort of debate in this age of science (though I can't help wondering). I think ultimately it is no one's business but the person involved who, like all of us, is searching to find themselves. Maybe the key to happiness and fulfillment is not to try to convince the transgendered through psychotherapy and drugs that he or she isn't transgendered but to accept who they are (which is pretty much the consensus for how to treat those unhappy with their own homosexuality).

There is a fetish called cross-dressing and also performance art called drag, and it does get messy when either overlap with being truly transgender. But ultimately cross-dressing fetishes, drag performance and being truly transgender are all very different things.
    edited January 2015
    There has been some traditional... gristle between drag performers and the trans* community, which is thankfully clearing up some (I hope). Misogyny, transphobia, and their really horrendous evil baby transmisogny are alive and well, even within Queer culture (which is wide and varied). 

Remember what I said before about personal terminology? Well, some people say "Queer and Trans", presenting a difference between the two types of identity. I don't think that's a good move, but it does highlight that trans people are probably the most misunderstood and persecuted of people on the Queer spectrum, even in relation to other queer people, who should be their staunchest allies.

There's also a really interesting bit about queer identities in the book Far From the Tree, a book about horizontal identities. Basically, most people have an identity that is strongly based on their parent's identities: it's a vertical identity. Your're Roman Catholic, your parents were probably Roman Catholic, and so on. Seeing as they (even if not biologically your forebears) raised you, and you are a product of that upbringing, along with other elements. 

The book focuses on all kinds of horizontal identities, where an identity comes from some 'sideways' source, and you identify radically with some group your parents do not. He has sections on deaf children of hearing parents (do you perform cochlear implants? Is this robbing them of community with other, fully-deaf people?), people with high criminal children, disabled children, and yes: gay children. The author himself is gay, and the things he has to say about identity are interesting.
  • Well.

Enyalida has neatly put to rest my concerns in a few posts. I suppose I already knew that some cases of transgenderism are very much -felt-, and that some are solved through therapy, and some through hormones, and some through surgery. I suppose I just wanted to hear it from someone else that isn't a 14-yo girl from Tumblr, but from what you guys have gleaned through your experience.

edited January 2015
    Yeah. I have a lot of problems with Tumblr SJW culturs. I'd be happy to talk about my feelings there in PMs, as I have several... non-fond things to say about the subject.

Seriously, I could talk about gender and sexuality all day, and do when I get the chance. I'm still working on the "Actually go out and do shit, help people instead of being an armchair activist" but then again, so is the majority of the country. Education is where it's at, though!

I'd be interested to hear (privatly) the experiences of Queer Lusternians. Remember: that includes allies to, and can therefore be anyyou!
  • Ally here. I'm going to mostly echo what has been said already, but I feel if you are unhappy with who or how you are, not just limited to gender, you should investigate why. Professional help is a good idea if you can't figure it out on your own or you want a more objective listener. I think it is too bad that gender issues were once considered mental issues, and am glad that is being phased out. It seems there is both nature and nurture at work, but I feel it doesn't matter too much in the end. If through therapy or soul-searching you discover that you feel your biological gender and mental gender do not match, and you want to act upon changing the former, permanently or not, then you should go for it. Some of us put tattoos on our bodies, get corrective surgery, or simply use make-up to subtly alter our appearance and how others perceive us. It is your body to do with as you like. If we're allowing people to do 'bad' things such as smoking, because that is a freedom of choice, then why not hormone therapy if a person wants to switch genders?

I get that it isn't always so easy to understand. When I first learned I had a friend who went MTF I was a little confused. At first I didn't know that was a thing at all, I'd only heard about drag. But up until that point she'd perfectly passed for a woman in my mind, and I didn't feel so different about it after. It didn't really matter. She was happy.

I get why some people struggle with the idea. Cultural norms put some expectations in our minds. I've some history of my own there. I grew up dressing very girlishly, but due to getting bullied for assorted reasons I ended up dressing like a boy (I got kicked and beaten and dresses would show the bruises and wounds and invited more of it). As a teen I thus got bullied for dressing and looking like a boy, including my short hair cuts which always looked very feminine at the hairdresser but on me just looked weird. Now that I'm an adult I seem to have finally found my balance. Although I do wish some ladies wear was more practical. I think female business wear looks really sexy but it seems to be made for offices in a steady 21+ degrees climate where it never rains or snows or anything. Anyway, trailing off here :P

As for Tumblr culture, ugh, I'll keep it to saying it almost does more harm than good. I don't want to say these are not real problems, but I do feel that for some the lack of any real issues in their life has them resort to that. And it makes sense, humans seem to be made to thrive in times of conflict. So when that is lacking we sort of seem to make our own, such as how infighting in close communities starts. We seem to kinda need an enemy, to the point we begin making them if there aren't any. And then there is also the fact how hot button topics like feminism get totally torn away from the original context by blogs and news sites looking to maximize page views. Anger is -the- page view generating emotion. And so the story is spun for the sake of money. Never mind the harm it does. And that seems to then fuel Tumblr SJW who gobble this up to reinforce their 'imaginary' enemy. Again, I don't wish to say that transphobia or any gender discrimination isn't real. Have had my experiences with the latter, too. It sucks. But if you blow the issue up to such a degree it becomes a laughing stock, well, you're shooting yourself in the foot. I'll leave it at that >_>
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • edited January 2015
    It's much better to have support through dysphoria than to not have that support. One of my friends identifies as genderqueer, with a preference for she pronouns. At the time she transitioned, she was isolated in rural Maryland. There was no community there for her. There was no supportive family structure there, no sympathetic psychologists or doctors. Like many other transgendered individuals, she chose to order her anti-androgens and her hormones via the Internet - I believe from some place in China. It's vouched for by others in various online communities, but who knows? 

It was those same communities, Tumblr and otherwise, that provided those support structures and pointed her at said locations.

It's worth mentioning that despite being an excellent programmer and a very hardworking individual, she literally could not get hired into the tech scene out there. Her girlfriend barely kept her job after transitioning in the Northern Virginia area. My friend couldn't get hired, much less get into any kind of supportive therapy. The best job I remember her having during that time was gas station work in rural Maryland. The stigma against being transgender meant she wouldn't even get an interview past the first in person encounter.

My friend moved to Baltimore, which was a safer place for her than the countryside, and was promptly greeted by an unsupportive transgender support group that insisted transwomen had to be more female than female in order to pass, lest they damage the cause. She was harassed and shouted at on a daily basis. I listened to her deal with body-image issues, doubt over her transition, outright self-loathing, and other bullshit like being fetishized by guys who liked the idea of a lady with a dick or worse. I also watched her kick some ass in the interim. Lady can throw a goddamn punch.

I was really happy when she moved out of Baltimore to Seattle, which is generally considered a safer and more supportive environment for those of the queer persuasion. Ironically, said safe and supportive environment was where she was finally put in the hospital by a bunch of gangbangers who attacked her and her girlfriend in a local McDonalds. There was no assistance from those around her when they broke her jaw in three places and sent her to the hospital. Those responsible got away with twelve months of community service, which they promptly skipped out on.

My friend is skeptical to critical to scornfully dismissive of Tumblr and places like Tumblr, but even she has acknowledged that it's much better to have people backing you up than to have no one. Far better to find your people, wherever they are, and have their support, than to be entirely alone during a time of intense vulnerability.
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
    Oh, for sure. 

When I (and I suspect @maligorn) mention Tumblr and other similar places in a derisive manner, I don't mean the entirety of the community there, or the platform itself. I'm talking about the sector of internet users that stereotypical congregate places like Tumblr who evidently have little real investment in the issues they 'support', and who are ultimately non-supportive to the people who really need it the most.

• As Lusternia is a gaming community, and not one that is primarily equipped to instruct or educate on LGBTQIA issues, I thought it might be beneficial to introduce a few outside resources for those who wish to be better informed on what it means to be transgender, and how to be a good ally:
    This is only a small sampling of the resources out there, and many link to more. Please feel free to share any that you believe might be useful!
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice

When I first played Lusternia back in 2008, I was extremely happy to find out that there was no discrimation in-game or in the forums. I still hadn't come out of the closet back then and I found friends who were very supportive within the Lusternian community. I'm not transgender although my friends from the LGBT/LGBT ally pool has grown over the years. I am just happy to find no judgment, no labels, no objectification from our friendship. If I never found Lusternia's community, I would have had a much harder time finding the right people to open up to - heck, finding the courage to come out would've been a much darker road. It was from playing in Lusternia that I first experienced truly being myself, in a way. It was just me and my character and gender/orientation was the least of anyone's concerns, unlike the way it was before where I had to think about my gender/orientation first before even befriending anyone. Lusternia was a sanctuary where I could be a ball of happy and positivity even if things went otherwise in real life and I can definitely say that a good number of my formative years were influenced for good by the game's community. Thank you, Lusternia. Much, much love.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

edited January 2015
    I suppose I should say, I'm a tentative ally? I haven't joined the LGBT club at my college, but that's more because I'm just not interested in developing myself that way (gotta focus on dem academics).

Well, I guess I'm also afraid of going to the club. I -know- it's irrational to think that it's just a gathering of people that wanna get laid, but that's all I think of when I consider going to one of their meetings. A bunch of thirsty people. Maybe it's not like that. But anxiety won't let me go either way.

I'm pretty much straight, but would go for a guy if he fit a certain body type that is attractive to me. So like, barely bisexual I guess.

EDIT: Coming back to clarify, when I say tentatively an ally, I mean -- I'm all for equal rights and stuff, and stopping violence against same-sex couples and other such things, but it's not at the super top of my agenda, nor am I going to call my mayor/congressman/what the fuck ever to press him on it, or go out picketing. I have my own problems to deal with, unfortunately. I always try to lend an ear to people who need it, but I'm just not the type to ask someone how their life is going, work them through problems, so on and so forth. Unless they come to me first.

• On the topic of gender binary, I think it can be hard to lift yourself from this notion depending on your native language as well. While English doesn't have gender to its words, many languages do. This concept that everything is assigned a gender also gives way to thinking that gender is this limited.

Sure, it seems the genders are randomly assigned in a language and two languages will not even match, but they still assign it. I am sure that the concept of gender (and there being more outside of the 'male/female/none(or neuter)' ) that languages use can seem confusing on a commutation level.