Trill Reproduction

EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / BrontaurIndianapolis, IN, USA
Since it amuses me that this issue keeps coming up so frequently:

Do trills give birth to live young, or do they lay eggs?

Discuss.
Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.

Comments

• i'm pretty 89% sure that it's live.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I think so, too, but there is also the opinion that they lay eggs. I've seen players argue both ways, but I wonder if there's any lore or NPC statements out there that clarify one way or the other.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Wouldn't this also depend on (or result in) a discussion on whether or not Trill (and Dracnari) have breasts or not?
  • This was answered in an Ask Estarra!

As Ssaliss says, it depends on if trills have breasts or not. We can hypothetize that true blooded trill lay eggs, and that trill with more human blood might give birth to live young.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2015
    Their bodies are basically human, but they have feathers instead of hair. I imagine the important reproductive bits are more human than avian, so birth method should be more human than avian.

EDIT: Okay never mind. Gross.

EDIT2: The idea of boobless female dracnari laying eggs doesn't squick me, but a trill having a regular human body with avian sexual anatomy... abhorrent. :-O
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Mammary glands and egg-laying are not necessarily exclusive. Look at the platypus.

Isune said:

This was answered in an Ask Estarra!

As Ssaliss says, it depends on if trills have breasts or not. We can hypothetize that true blooded trill lay eggs, and that trill with more human blood might give birth to live young.

Hypothesize, you say... so, we're not actually sure? I'm still confused :( .

• edited February 2015
    (It was hard to tell if @Estarra was teasing or if that's actual canonical fact. I get the impression it was meant to be up to player interpretation.)
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I haven't been able to get any answers for the same question in reference to dracnari, mostly because I don't know any dracnari.

• Everiine said:

Mammary glands and egg-laying are not necessarily exclusive. Look at the platypus.

While true, I think we can safely conclude that Trill are neither platypus or echidnas. Also, Trill aren't native to Glomdoring.
    What does Glomdoring have to do with it?

• edited February 2015
    Glomdoring is clearly the Australia of Lusternia. Coincidentally, Australia (and New Guinea) is where monotremes live.
    Serenwilde has playtipii, too! :D Can we be Australia, too?

• As soon as you get venomous spiders and venomous wasps and venomous zombies and venomous bats and... gee, is there anything in Glom that isn't venomous? Much like there's nothing in Australia that isn't venomous.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Possums. Possums are generally cuter and nicer than opossums.
    So, what's the general conclusion?

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Pretty sure it was Phoebus who put it forth that trill don't have cloacae and thus have to have live young, which is my favorite argument for it. Plus, trill can breed with humans, so going off of that I'd have to assume that they're mostly humanlike reproductively. Same goes for Dracnari being mostly human in that regard.

Would be open to the idea of ovoviviparity as a compromise option.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Portius said:

Pretty sure it was Phoebus who put it forth that trill don't have cloacae and thus have to have live young, which is my favorite argument for it. Plus, trill can breed with humans, so going off of that I'd have to assume that they're mostly humanlike reproductively. Same goes for Dracnari being mostly human in that regard.

Would be open to the idea of ovoviviparity as a compromise option.

Ah the debates I'd have with Phoebus about cloacae, good times... goooooood times. Admittedly I never really took a position on Trill IG and I'd think they'd probably give live birth, else we'd probably see actual hatcheries built somewhere in Hallifax [for the servants, communal living and efficiency et cetera]. 

Honestly I was always more interested in arguing that true-blooded Dracnari have no external primary or secondary sexual characteristics and anyone with hair/breasts/external genitalia had to have human ancestry. Also Mael is slightly racist against humans... 

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• I imagine they likely have secondary characteristic, ie: body fat distribution, shape, width and depth of the hips, propensity to burn you to cinders, etc.
  • *creates a pure-bread Trill that explicitly lays eggs*
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited February 2015
    Include words like "cloaca" and "ovipositor" and "golden birdwoman milk" in your description.

• I didn't want to talk about Trill eggs, but Talan tagged me. So here goes.

My favourite food is omelettes.

That is all.

• Lerad said:

I didn't want to talk about Trill eggs, but Talan tagged me. So here goes.

My favourite food is omelettes.

That is all.
    So what you're saying is that if it weren't for you, Talan would have far more kids?
  • edited February 2015
    Trills are birds. Birds lay eggs.
    Dracnari are lizards. Lizards lay eggs.
    Mugwumps are amphibias. Amphibias lay eggs.
    Tae'dae, furrikins, faelings and all other mammals have live children.

The viscantis are a mix of all this... the real question is: how do viscantis give birth? 
    But, Trill and Dracnari are also very, very humanoid. Aside from the feathers and wings, a trill looks like a human.

Trills are birds. 

Yeah by this reasoning you could call a faeling a butterfly or a bat depending on their spec, right?
    I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:

Trills are birds. 

Yeah by this reasoning you could call a faeling a butterfly or a bat depending on their spec, right?
    In a very intense degree, yes. My post was not meant to be serious.
    I actually think it depends of the degree by which you rp as either more a bird or more a human. By this reasoning, some have eggs, while others have live babies, while others in a perfect middle of that scale can't figure out which method applies to them. :p
    Man I guess by my own reasoning Daraius has like eight nipples.  :-<
    I used to make cakes.