Defenses Overhual

edited May 2015 in Combat Overhaul
Will the new defenses be maintained between temporary failures in internet connection? And how long should we expect the defenses to last? The same as before, or is there new logic behind it?

Comments

• For the time being, it is the same as before.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • IMHO, defenses are tedious to put up.  A lot of the game can be tedious for little reason.  Why not have a command to put up all of your available defenses, one after another?

Also tedious: enchantments.  We could use a liquid rift equivalent for enchants.  Having lots of jewelry is still useful for influencing.  My suggestion would be a "powerstone" that everyone has, sort of like the cache in Aetolia, which is where you store/draw your power from as well as your enchants.  The powerstones could be org-specific and customizable and help to illustrate the use of planar skills too.  For example, Magnagorans get a shard of the Megalith.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Winnae said:
    IMHO, defenses are tedious to put up.  A lot of the game can be tedious for little reason.  Why not have a command to put up all of your available defenses, one after another?

Also tedious: enchantments.  We could use a liquid rift equivalent for enchants.  Having lots of jewelry is still useful for influencing.  My suggestion would be a "powerstone" that everyone has, sort of like the cache in Aetolia, which is where you store/draw your power from as well as your enchants.  The powerstones could be org-specific and customizable and help to illustrate the use of planar skills too.  For example, Magnagorans get a shard of the Megalith.
    Energy cubes? I really don't follow what the request here is. You don't need to run to a store to recharge anything. Just recharge from your personal cube. Attach a regulator and you don't even have to get spammed as it recharges automatically without an extra message.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2015
    @Winnae is saying that you'd have a special, automatic item based on your org. That item is what actually stores your power reserves, and also lets you call up all of your enchantments. 

EDIT: I also really dislike having to wear tremendous amounts of bling to cover all my basic necessities, but this is not a good suggestion. While silly in a roleplaying sense, managing enchantments is not an onerous part of the game. Personally, I would greatly slash the 'common' enchantments and abilities, rolling any necessary carry overs (like cleanse) into guild skills or common abilities. It's dumb that the majority of our utility comes from one or two skillsets that are farmed out with enchantments and artifacts. More unique guild utilities and abilities would be great.
  • I actually don't mind enchantments, but I'd have liked it if artifacts were not visible as actual items, but were all runes or all attached to a single artifact-item. The Orb of Lerad, holds all of Lerad's artifact powers. That way, I won't have to think about whether Lerad is secretly a Kephera with three sets of legs and three pairs of boots.

(Sorry for the derail)

• Lerad said:
    I actually don't mind enchantments, but I'd have liked it if artifacts were not visible as actual items, but were all runes or all attached to a single artifact-item. The Orb of Lerad, holds all of Lerad's artifact powers. That way, I won't have to think about whether Lerad is secretly a Kephera with three sets of legs and three pairs of boots.

(Sorry for the derail)
    I completely agree with that, and I have a small shard of hope that this is what wonder items will essentially become. Items that everyone can create at no cost, but that has no inherent powers. Instead they can be imbued with powers by either folding existing artifacts into them or by paying credits for a power (i.e. what buying an artifact does now).
  • edited May 2015
    So a question... are my waterwalk, deathsight and nimbus defences supposed to drop all the time? The other enchantments (mercy etc) do not.

EDIT: Also Acquisitio is constantly gone! And I don't use an enchantment for that but the rituals skill. Why does it turn itself off automatically? Is that a bug?
  • Define "all the time". After logging out? After some other action? 
  • edited May 2015
    Ieptix said:
    Define "all the time". After logging out? After some other action? 
    After doing random quests and then twiddling my thumbs for a while. In other words: After 1-x hours of online time without me doing anything that could strip it (no arena, no combat, no hardcore mobs etc).

EDIT: I can try to keep an eye on it and figure out how long it takes to drop again after having put it up. It's been happening a couple times today already but I've not paid close attention to it, sorry.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Oh. Meh. I like deathsense. I don't need to see where people die. It's usually rather obvious if people are raiding/domothing/whatever. I just like knowing when they do and stuff. Now I need to buy/wear another enchantment?

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I don't know if this is pertinent, and I haven't even really been paying attention to the overhaul, but the other day I logged in and immediately saw a deathsense without even raising the defense. I hadn't been online for a few hours, and when I checked my defenses, I didn't actually have deathsight or deathsense up.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited May 2015
    EDIT: Ok I should read the news. Meh. ;(

Besides: I always thought deathsense shows some deaths that deathsight does not? Like bleeding to death. Anyone know whether this is true or not?
  • The only difference between deathsight and deathsense is that the former shows the room in which the death occurred.
  • Well, to be fair, the first requires an enchantment and the second doesn't, which means you now need an enchanted item and charges on it (and have to upkeep them) just to see who died, even if you don't care about the room.
  • I didn't know we had regulators until just now...
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ssaliss said:
    Well, to be fair, the first requires an enchantment and the second doesn't, which means you now need an enchanted item and charges on it (and have to upkeep them) just to see who died, even if you don't care about the room.
    It's another thing you have to buy and look after, even though it was just fine the way it was before... I don't really understand this change.  It doesn't actually simplify anything at all, just makes it so that you have to do more to get the thing you want (just sensing the death itself).
  • It would have been better to lose the enchantment and put the room sensing portion into deathsense. Which is actually available to everyone, not available to everyone as long as you can find it in a shop or a friendly enchanter.
  • edited May 2015
    Winnae said:
      Why not have a command to put up all of your available defenses, one after another?
    I really like this idea.
    OVERHAUL NEWS #37
    Date: 5/15/2015 at 17:33
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Deathsight/Deathsense

Due to concerns raised after my post yesterday, instead of simply
    deleting the Deathsense ability in Discernment, I have instead replaced
    it with the Deathsight ability/defense, activatable via the DEATHSIGHT
    command. Deathsight also remains an ability in Cosmic, and may still be
    enchanted onto items for any who might not have the ability from
    elsewhere or simply prefer using enchantments.

Penned by My hand on the 5th of Klangiary, in the year 412 CE.

I <3@Ieptix. Thank you!

• @Ieptix: So my enchantment defences went poof again. I neither logged out nor died. Could it be that they get reset or something when you load defence changes?
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited May 2015
    Maybe make it instead so that you must have deathsense up to raise death sight.

At the moment, the current solution screws cosmic out of a unique skill and makes the wonderwand power mostly worthless.
  • I'd kind of like to see something replace the wonderwand ability, since anybody with that much wand is bound to have that much Discernment already.
  • Yacsee said:
    @Ieptix: So my enchantment defences went poof again. I neither logged out nor died. Could it be that they get reset or something when you load defence changes?
    I've just loaded up some logging for defences being lost. Message me in-game next time it happens and I'll check where it's coming from.
  • Messaged you, thank you. (Just lost them again -.-). Am I the only one having this problem... *confused*
    Mine vanished too at some point...didn't notice when

• Oh good.. I mean not good, but I was starting to be afraid it's something I am doing and just stupidly not realizing it would/might strip defs. >_<

Gonna keep an eye on it and message Ieptix when it happens again! (Thank you for trying to figure it out!)

• Idea for a boost for cosmic to replace deathsight:

Aethersense - If you don't have the aethersight skills, gives a % chance to detect scry attempts. If you do, scry attempts tell you their location.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited May 2015
    I don't think enchantments that replicate existing common skills will be worth anyone's money. You will have some business from newbies, but only for a little while, and less so than a unique skill that isn't accessible otherwise. I think the idea of some sort of automatic "return scry" is cool, but kind of powerful for a simple enchantment. That's better given to an artifact or guild-only skill.