Warrior Overhaul Testing

Comments

• Bonecrusher is in! KNIGHTHOOD_SPEC BONECRUSHER in an overhaul duel to select it.

Skill details will be below, but first: In addition to the new bonecrusher overhaul, our new bruising mechanic has been added. This mechanic is a sort of blunt analogue to bleeding. However, instead of causing damage on a tick, instead bruising will trigger on movement and attempting aggressive actions (i.e. any action that strips rebounding will trigger bruise damage). As of right now, both triggers will cause the same base damage, but I may scale it back for one or the other if it ends up being too powerful. At the moment, bruising is only given via blunt overhaul warrior attacks, though it is implemented generally for the entire game. Bruising in general will build and be cured at 1/3 the speed of bleeding; so if a warrior attack were to give 30 bleeding as a cutting attack, it will give ten bruising instead as a blunt attack.

Curing bruising is done via clotting, using the following syntax: CLOT [BLEED|BRUISE] [<#>]. If you specifically choose to clot only bleeding or only bruising, then clotting will only cure that (if there's any to cure). If you simply CLOT, it will split the healing between bruising and bleeding if you are both bruised and bleeding, otherwise it will cure whatever you have at full effect. When splitting, the base amount cured is split between both bleeding and bruising, and then the bruise curing is scaled down by a third as above.

This is sort of an experimental mechanic, and may have subtle issues that come up so I am especially interested in feedback here.

Now, on to the Bonecrusher abilities:

BONECRUSHER

-----

---

Bonecrush

Increased effectiveness when using one-handed bludgeons via quicker balance than non-bonecrushers.

---

Blackeye

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: head
    Prereq: Light wounds on targeted bodypart
    Effect: Afflict with blindness and damagedskull

---

Knockdown

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Lleg, rleg
    Effect: Afflict with prone, 2s balance loss

---

Breakleg

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Rleg, lleg
    Effect: Afflicts with weakenedleg on targeted limb

---

Breakarm

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Rarm, larm
    Effect: Afflicts with weakenedarm on targeted limb

---

Crush

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Any
    Prereq: 4p
    Effect: 2 wounds on targeted bodypart, cannot be parried

---

Vomitblood

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Gut
    Effect: Afflicts with vomiting

---

Slapknuckle

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Larm, rarm
    Effect: Knocks wielded item out of hands, if possible

---

Warcry

Unchanged from non-overhaul

---

Snapspine

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Gut
    Prereq: Heavy wounds on targeted bodypart
    Effect: Afflicts with paralysis

---

Wind

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Chest
    Prereq: Light wounds on target
    Effect: Balance loss based on wound level of targeted bodypart

---

Bludgeoner

Combatstyle
    Effect: Reduced damage for increased bruising

---

Crushchest

Modifier
    Effect: Afflicts with crushedchest

---

Crushwindpipe

Modifier
    Effect: Afflicts with damagedthroat

---

Tenderize

Passive
    Effect: Increased damage based on bruising 

---

Smashchest

Modifier
    Effect: Stun based on wound level of targeted bodypart

---

Smashleg

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Lleg, rleg
    Effect: Increased bruising based on wound level of targeted body part

---

Herniatelung

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: 
    Prereq: Critical wounds on targeted bodypart
    Effect: Afflicts with collapsedlung

---

Smashskull

Modifier
    Effect: Blackout based on wound level of targeted body part

---

Bashbrain

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Head
    Prereq: 3p, critical wounds on targeted bodypart, damagedskull, blackout
    Effect: Instakill, cannot be parried

---

Pulp

Modifier
    Allowed bodypart targets: Any/None
    Prereq: 4p, prone, 300+ bruising
    Effect: Very high damage

7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Knockdown and wind both have their balance loss stack.  Ie if I do knockdown twice in a round, they're off balance for 4s.  If I do wind twice, same deal.  At heavy, it was 4.2s.  Feels like critical would scale to somewhere in the mid 5's.  Dunno if intended.  As is, with another warrior in the mix to stick the gut/legs for you, you can basically permaprone someone pretty easily.
  • @Ieptix: I know it is asking a lot, but when I asked people about the overhaul I am hearing a lot of "haven't tested" with the main reason being a lack of full speed ice curing.

Would it be possible to set up the firstaid autocuring specifically for ice curing so we could all have the same ice curing at optimal speed without waiting on everyone to update.

I assume this might be a running theme where there is almost no real practical testing of the system.
  • Yeah. I tried to test out Pureblade, but without both me and my sparring partner having curing set up for it, it's basically impossible to get a good feel for how things would work live. I've done some rough theorycrafting, and it -looks- like Pureblade shouldn't really be able to get anywhere - it seems like a monster once you have momentum, but it has nothing that really helps in building that momentum. One attack that doesn't connect, for whatever reason (parry, rebounding, shield) costs you three more attacks of just building wounds.

The affs don't really seem to be all that impressive either. Especially not compared to Bonecrusher - Bonecrusher has some major hindrance very quickly, including options to start prone/offbal chains from the word go, which is an advantage the 2H specs don't get. Meanwhile, the only significant hindrance that Pureblades get hinders the user as well (Impale).

I don't know. Maybe my guesses are just wrong, but right now it's looking like there's very little reason for anyone to go Pureblade. If I'm missing something, please enlighten me - I'm likely to go Blademaster in the overhaul, but I'd really like to keep Pureblade too, but right now it just doesn't seem worth it.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    It is kind of sad to see pureblade going from a cool warrior spec with lots of hindering/limb dismembering to just being the bleeding b- spec.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • The age of the Bonecrusher has returned.
  • edited October 2015
    After this is all out what kind of things would a blademaster aim for in body parts and also what poisons are the best to use when afflicting people. And also there are also going to be some abilities added on when it all comes out right or is the abilities in the arena and on here going to be just that?Also will Knighthood change a little or stay?
  • I wanted to add that blademaster looks pretty bad like I can only think if two ways to kill a person and those two ways are slit throat and eviscerate and also haymaker but that's like if you know when to do it.Cant there be one more insta kill move for us I feel like Axelord,pureblade, and bonecrusher and skills that have more than three ways to kill
  • edited October 2015
    L
  • Not that I agree with you, but that would be why things are being tested before being implemented. Balance should be the goal and I think will be attained.

• Yeah sorry I was going over this whole discussion and heard somethings about being in a process and has a few things to add
  • edited October 2015
    Cavalier is in for testing. Details below. Note that the steed-related abilities will still require an actual steed, which people who arne't Cavaliers normally won't have, but the new beast-based instakill will work with a non-steed beast during testing. I've also, for at least the time being, gotten rid of being mounted having any effect on the cavalier's effectiveness with their weapon. If this is something that players liked and enjoyed, I can certainly go back and add it back in, but for now taking out an extra variable makes everything that much simpler.

CAVALIER

-----

---

Cavalier

Increased effectiveness when using polearms via quicker balance than non-bonecrushers.

Additionally, Cavaliers have the ability to select a weaponstyle, which determines whether a strike does cutting damage+bleeding, or blunt damage+bruising. This neither requires nor consumes balance. Syntax is WEAPONSTYLE [CUTTING|BLUNT]. Omitting the damage type will display your current weapon style.

---

Steed

Unchanged from existing.

---

DoubleVision

Modifier
    Allowed bodyparts: Head
    Prereq: Light wounds
    Effect: Afflict with recklessness

---

PunctureLung

Modifier
    Allowed bodyparts: Chest
    Prereq: Light wounds, cutting weaponstyle
    Effect: Afflict with asthma

---

Tender

Unchanged from existing.

---

Ulcer

Modifier
    Allowed bodyparts: Gut
    Effect: Afflict with vomiting

---

Cleave

Unchanged from existing.

---

BreakArm

Modifier
    Allowed bodyparts: Larm, rarm
    Effect: Afflict with broken arm

---

Sunder

Modifier
    Allowed bodyparts: Any
    Prereq: 4 power
    Effect: Double wounds on hit, cannot be parried

---

BreakLeg

Modifier
    Allowed bodyparts: Rleg, lleg
    Effect: Afflict with broken leg

---

Knockdown

Modifier
    Allowed bodyparts: Rleg, lleg
    Prereq: Light wounds, blunt weaponstyle
    Effect: Prone + balance loss

---

Warcry

Unchanged from existing.

---

Muster

Unchanged from existing.

---

Mutilator

Combatstyle
    Increased bleeding at cost of decreased bruising.

---

SteedCharge

Unchanged from existing.

---

Guard

Unchanged from existing.

---

Impale

Modifier
    Prereq: Medium wounds, cutting weaponstyle
    Effect: Afflicts with impale

---

Joust

Unchanged from existing.

---

Pulverizer

Combatstyle
    Increased bruising at cost of decreased bleeding

---

Farguard

Unchanged from existing.

---

Rend

Unchanged from existing.

---

JaggedWound

Modifier
    Prereq: Light wounds, cutting weaponstyle
    Effect: Inflict both bruising and bleeding, scaling up with wound level

---

CrushArm

Modifier
    Allowed bodyparts: Larm, rarm
    Prereq: Critical wounds, blunt weaponstyle
    Effect: Afflict with mutilated arm

---

Hook

Unchanged from existing.

---

CrushLeg

Modifier
    Modifier
    Allowed bodyparts: Lleg, rleg
    Prereq: Critical wounds, blunt weaponstyle
    Effect: Afflict with mutilated leg

---

Obstruction

Unchanged from existing.

---

PiercePlexus

Modifier
    Prereq: Light
    Effect: Afflict with paralysis, plus stun scaling to wound level

---

Wind

Modifier
    Effect: Balance loss scaling with wound level

---

PinCharge

Unchanged from existing.

---

Maul

Syntax: STEED MAUL <target>
    Prereq: Mounted on steed (any mount will suffice when testing), both arms and both legs at least broken with two mutilated.
    Effect: Instakill

---

Skewer

Syntax: SKEWER (OHSKEWER during testing)
    Prereq: Target impaled with critical wounds on gut and chest
    Effect: Instakill

-----
  • Pierceplexus and Wind only requiring lightwounds for their effects worry me.
  • That's all of them, right? Can we retire weapon runes now, so that I can:

• Also when do you think that you will finish all polishing all of this?Next month or so right
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited October 2015
    Is heft not being carried over? Also, steed mauling seems not to be working. Says you need to be mounted when you already are.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Maul looks fun but exceedingly impractical.

Mangled arms should be critical, not heavy. 
  • Maul is fixed. There is a heft-replacement in the skill proposal, but for now I'm interested in seeing if it'll be necessary or desirable; in effect it would give cavaliers 50% more wounds per unit time than any other warrior (free 1-wound strike after a regular strike, essentially), which might be overwhelming against ice balance.

Any suggestions to maul that'd make it more practical but still keeping similar (i.e. limb affliction) requirements? Crusharm has been changed to require critical wounds.
  • I wanted to ask why Legtendon doesnt work for blademaster in a overhaul battle I tried to start off with it and it said you dont have the right weapon for this mod.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I'm kind of concerned (in the theoretical) about removing both heft and the mounted bonus; I personally never used heft much, but found the mounted bonus to be beneficial.  Cavalier is the only spec where your offense can be dramatically altered by forced movement / separation from the beast (or even beast murder, though that is very difficult).  The bonus was, to my mind, a way of compensating for the negative.  Having no steed neuters your offense, but having it makes you more deadly than your counterparts in terms of raw striking power.

It also makes sense from a purely "realistic" standpoint, when considering (trained) mounted warriors vs. infantry.

Note that I still need to actually play with the skills, just want to make my thoughts known on the matter.
  • There is no longer a trade off of hardlock vs no hardlock, so I disagree with the assessment.

For balance purposes I would also avoid heft as much as possible. You would need a pressing reason (balance wise) to randomly decide cavaliers need 50% more wounding in the same time when the afflictions are equally nasty and equally delayed. 

No one really hardlocks now, so they have not "given it up" in exchange for wounding.  Keep a status quo for now, do not upgrade anything or give special privileges.

If cavaliers need something special for using beasts, give them requirements on some affs of being mounted, and make their special skills the outlier (pincharge is still powerful for instance, but otherwise treat their normal warrior offense as intended equal to any other).

I agree with Celina that Maul seems impractical right now, but given the stuns and delayed cures I could see them potentially having ways to pull this off.  Keep in mind we have to account for tertiary skills playing a part in this.  Not saying it will be easy, but when it is 3s to cure an aff that already stuns.... it creates some windows.

Also bump for ice curing in arena so we can test better please.
    I could get behind no real inherent bonus to being mounted in exchange for muster being a free action.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Malarious said:
    There is no longer a trade off of hardlock vs no hardlock, so I disagree with the assessment.

For balance purposes I would also avoid heft as much as possible. You would need a pressing reason (balance wise) to randomly decide cavaliers need 50% more wounding in the same time when the afflictions are equally nasty and equally delayed. 

No one really hardlocks now, so they have not "given it up" in exchange for wounding.  Keep a status quo for now, do not upgrade anything or give special privileges.

If cavaliers need something special for using beasts, give them requirements on some affs of being mounted, and make their special skills the outlier (pincharge is still powerful for instance, but otherwise treat their normal warrior offense as intended equal to any other).

I agree with Celina that Maul seems impractical right now, but given the stuns and delayed cures I could see them potentially having ways to pull this off.  Keep in mind we have to account for tertiary skills playing a part in this.  Not saying it will be easy, but when it is 3s to cure an aff that already stuns.... it creates some windows.

Also bump for ice curing in arena so we can test better please.
    I don't know if you read my post.  I didn't say anything about hardlocks.  I also did not claim to want a 50% bonus.  Are you just putting words in my mouth in order to make a non-point?
    I think it'll greatly help testing if we are able to play with the big picture in this overhaul mode. Overhaul afflictions, particularly the final locking ones, should be finalized so we can test with them.
  • Is Steed maul really so impractical even with Trample?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Trample has historically been pretty bad. I use it sometimes for the comedy value when I'm a shaman and can group sprawl, but otherwise a single trampled target will cure all of their broken limbs before you get back balance from using trample. That math might change some with ice delaying wounds, though!
  • Exactly. I don't know what the final timing will be, but I imagine if all limbs are at heavy damage, a trample will be more viable.
  • Xenthos said:

I don't know if you read my post.  I didn't say anything about hardlocks.  I also did not claim to want a 50% bonus.  Are you just putting words in my mouth in order to make a non-point?
    @Xenthos: No, just poorly worded. I had written something else out, thought it was too easily misconstrued, deleted it and rewrote. I then posted it without reading from a third party point of view.  This changed the orders things ended up being said and came at the cost of timing.

Majority of my reply is aimed at Ieptix, and he is the one who brought up 50% more wounding (heft).

@Daganev: Keep in mind trample used (last I knew) around 5-6 seconds of NORMAL balance, not only beast balance. So the recovery is pretty prohibitive from getting things done.

@Rivius: Agreed with needing the other affs to really gauge this (is Bm anorexia new or old anor?).   Also fine with not needing mounted for most things.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I think the best solution is to just make it really difficult aka nigh impossible to dismount a mounted cavalier and do away with any kind of bonus. Makes balancing too difficult if one spec gets wounding bonuses the others don't, and I don't think the mount "weakness" is actually all that significant after buying the spurs and artifacting out your beast.