Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Luce said:
    Like, I'm legit worried about the other thing we're getting soonish now.
    I am now curious what the other thing is.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I don't know, but that is a big bummer when people are prepared to hate it before it even exists. For both players and admin involved :pensive:

• I don't hate the new thing, I just don't like that it sends me non-essential information outside city limits.
  • I like it and think it should spread brainwashing propaganda True Facts About the Superiority of Collective Culture to all Citizens.
  • Okay, I have a solution that should appeal to everyone. Since the tower can broadcast to every plane, refigure the functionality so that instead of just spewing hourly alerts,  citizens can use it to bypass Planar restrictions on CT/GT/CWHO/etc.

Then hire a town crier to spread brainwashing propaganda.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Maligorn said:
    I don't know, but that is a big bummer when people are prepared to hate it before it even exists. For both players and admin involved :pensive:
    How to avoid this: tell people about it before it comes into being? Give them the opportunity to pose their concerns and give their opinions before it's too late? I would have immediately said, hey, please don't do this, and if you feel like you must then dear god please don't make it a universal broadcast, and if you are sadistic enough to insist upon letting this thing reach me across all existence, show a small amount of mercy and give me the option to opt out of the messages.

Also, still wasn't even told about it after it'd already been put up. I had to find out by receiving long advertisement messages after logging in. I wrote a strongly worded letter about my feelings on the situation and sent it off, went into my manse to go afkmode while I ate...and discovered it can still broadcast at me while I'm in my manse. It can get me no matter where I am. Extremely not cool.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I mean, seriously, when we were discussing it we knew the interval timing was something we'd need to wait and see on. I remember asking if it could be player set so we could tweak it as needed. The transplanar part of it was supposed to be a "see how much better we are than X? They have to hire a guy who shouts really loudly, WE can have a recording send the information directly to citizens in a calm, measured voice, regardless of planet distance." But there was none if that? Just "I hate it forever and the council should feel bad for voting for it."?

• edited March 2017

Option 1) gag function

Option 2) forum rants
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • If they took out the 'One Will, One Collective' announcement and just kept it to relevant information I'd be less annoyed
  • ^ Pretty much this. If it's broadcasting only to citizens, it should really only be useful information.
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • It just reminds me of when I was in Glom and every five minutes some random novice would start up a GBTG train and it got so old so fast
    edited March 2017
    You didn't even tell us about it until it already went up (actually, still not been told about it). There has been zero communication regarding how it works or why it's here. The people who aren't on the Board matter, too, and you need to tell us about stuff that's getting added to the city, especially when there's not even a "Reply STOP to stop" option included in this shiny new spam mail system that I'm apparently just supposed to love and accept. Yes, I can gag it. Yes, I'm totally going to gag it next time I log in. But, come on. I shouldn't have to resort to that.

If it was a thing that could be used to manually send important messages to citizens, that'd be fine. That'd be kinda cool, though I would worry a bit about the abuse potential of being able skirt the planar communication barrier with it (does this thing reach bubbles, btw?) But instead you created a freakin' omnipresent town crier. Town criers suck. They're irritating and even if they're cute at first, the fact that some dude keeps yelling at you about the same things all day gets old quick.
  • I just think it needs more announcements, so it's not just "here's this same book, here's the same play, no one wants to be a delta they wear khaki" over and over. We shouldn't be THAT brainwashed. I think the setup showed it can handle 10 messages? That's a decent pool to choose from if it's only every 1-2 hours.

And maybe there's a way that it can be made to not reach manses, so people can afk in peace? worth looking in to I guess.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Well, I believe the Tower is much easier to update on relevant information than Aural or Rasshid(?). But I'm not sure if that assuages your concern about hearing the same things all day.

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Akatriel said:
    I just think it needs more announcements, so it's not just "here's this same book, here's the same play, no one wants to be a delta they wear khaki" over and over. We shouldn't be THAT brainwashed. I think the setup showed it can handle 10 messages? That's a decent pool to choose from if it's only every 1-2 hours.

And maybe there's a way that it can be made to not reach manses, so people can afk in peace? worth looking in to I guess.
    I mean, if you can use GMCP to make a trigger in Mudlet to not announce people entering/leaving an area if it's not one of the ones you'd like, it should be possible in theory.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    In the interest of not spamming Tweets, this should be in game at this point.

I'll mea culpa the lack of post, I was trying to wait until we had a process in place for suggesting/approving announcements, and wanted to preserve a bit of the surprise of getting the new toy by posting before it was ready. I'll fill you in on the other project, ooc, like I said I would if you wanted me to, and start cross posting vote results again.

For the record, this thing was in the works before Isune came back. My understanding is​ the vote to build it happened during or before Falmiis's tenure, which is during the period you still were a Board advisor I thought? I legitimately thought you specifically were aware of the relay but I've been wrong before.
    Luce said:
    For the record, this thing was in the works before Isune came back. My understanding is​ the vote to build it happened during or before Falmiis's tenure, which is during the period you still were a Board advisor I thought? I legitimately thought you specifically were aware of the relay but I've been wrong before.
    Nope, never heard of it. I was removed from the clan during a period of inactivity, and as I was no longer in the clan next I logged on, it's not like I could go back and read every proposal that was made while I was out. It's been a good while since I was in the BoD clan.

And yeah sorry. I'd sent that letter and wanted this to be in game, but then I got really annoyed and logged out when it messaged me while I was in my manse and felt a great urge to grump about it. 
  • Tbh I thought the project was dead before Isune took over as patron.

Anyway, I love the idea. I think it'd be way better if we self-policed the length and type of messages. I really don't need 4 lines of text every hour telling me to go read a book or watch a play.
  • I do want to apologize for the long messages about the new book and play being sent by the broadcast tower; I was the one who added those in and broadcasted them in a hasty attempt to replace the "Testing. This is a test. Testing" message that the broadcast tower kept sending out. I tend to get wordy when I'm sleepy and didn't realize just how spammy the book and play messages would be. I've since shortened both messages, and I'm sorry they caused such a nuisance. If anyone would like to suggest new broadcast messages, please feel free to send me (or Luce or anyone else on the Board of Directors) an in-game message or letter.
    Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.
  • I think it's a shame that people put in effort to make something nice and new and helpful and their efforts are being reacted to so rudely. Maybe it could be improved, but people invested time to do something nice and that seems like something worth thanking until things are refined.
    Sluelugh said:
    To me, it is no different than some people who remind an org about things on CT which, as annoying as some people may find them, really do help. 
    Aggh I said I wouldn't reply to anything anymore but I have to respond to this in particular. There is a very big difference between someone manually sending a message, and an automated system. It's like...consider the difference between someone saying "Buying this thing!" on Market, and those people who have the automated ads that spam the same thing all day long. The former is good use of the channel. The latter is a nuisance.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    The original "testing testing" message is kinda my fault. Isune had three or four in place as placeholders and I asked that they be dropped in favour of a single placeholder and having us set up our own announcements. 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited March 2017
    Limit it to city, potentially make a "tower off" option so that we can limit the tower to only broadcast messages manually, problem solved.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Limit it to city, potentially make a "tower off" option so that we can limit the tower to only broadcast messages manually, problem solved.
    Personally, I like that it reaches me outside the city. If you are going to add a 'toweroff' choice, just do that.
  • edited March 2017
    Phoebus said:
    Sluelugh said:
    To me, it is no different than some people who remind an org about things on CT which, as annoying as some people may find them, really do help. 
    Aggh I said I wouldn't reply to anything anymore but I have to respond to this in particular. There is a very big difference between someone manually sending a message, and an automated system. It's like...consider the difference between someone saying "Buying this thing!" on Market, and those people who have the automated ads that spam the same thing all day long. The former is good use of the channel. The latter is a nuisance.
    Eh, I don't know. You and others may see it as a nuisance but I feel like it brings atmosphere. It's a radio ad or a billboard. It makes a quiet game (in some orgs, very quiet) seem a little more alive. One message an hour is not bad at all. To me, even the market channel blurbs aren't a nuisance, they're getting the name of the shop/owner out there, that is what the channel is for.

EDIT: I realize some people are not only broadcasting once an hour.
  • #Leprechauns2017 Will there be an election?

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    The tower probably just needs more messages, and a feature to ensure the same message won't repeat twice in a row.

If people still find that super annoying, it has a handy-dandy prepending text for setting up a gag trigger.

• I'm surprised people are reacting so strongly.

But I like it, and always thought Hallifax could use something like that, though it's never been a huge priority with the various other ways to get information out. I feel it fits the city rp though.
  • Thank god I got out just in time from this blight!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
This discussion has been closed.