Epic Quest Griefing

This discussion was created from comments split from: Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine.

Comments

• Killing Cheonbi I can maybe deal with. The ebon wakabi, not so much. Nice to know unnecessary Epic Quest mob killing is a thing now. This will be fun! B-)

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited November 2015
    It's always been a thing. I remember when Elodres (as a Mag) would spam the dracnari mirror quest to kill off all the Mesa Compound to disrupt our epic quest, and if we ever killed Cheonbi/released twisted lucidians, he'd just walk in and kill important mobs. And then there's Lanikai and Ladantine which span the whole of Lusternia.

Shit happens; keep on trucking. Most, if not all Hallifaxians will just leave you alone because of distaste for reciprocation; there's generally a gentleman's agreement about not fucking with the Hand quest if you just ask about it, or ask someone to stop (this was difficult to do with Elodres, since he wasn't a Gaudi).

EDIT: Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if you caught some flak over the Kingmaker quest. Shit has consequences, yo.

EDIT 2: Taunting people with corpses of the Mesa Compound/Kl'aet is probably not going to win you any favours. ;)

• Eodh said:
    Killing Cheonbi I can maybe deal with. The ebon wakabi, not so much. Nice to know unnecessary Epic Quest mob killing is a thing now. This will be fun! B-)
    Keep in mind, this is due to two actions on your part to attack organizations. Chopping elders in Serenwilde, and killing Thoril in Hallifax.

Gaudiguch has no meaningful targets to attack, and you ran constantly from attacks so the next only meaningful method of attack is to see that you're doing the epic and disrupt it.

It should also be noted that when trying to kill you for you killing Thoril, you handed Davos corpses of a Taroch, a meaningful family in Hallifax.

This also isn't a matter of oh you killed some random mob or random tree, but now you're being griefed for it! No, Kingmaker is a quest that can only be done in a great while and losing it now means we've lost it until Magnagora decides to kill Ethildora or we break alliance with Celest. That has to be considered when carrying out these actions because it will certainly be considered in the reaction that people have to it.

Chopping trees is also a source of stress for Serenwilde. They have to deal with it and the threat of it all the time. If they ever piss anyone off, any novice can come in and chop their trees and there is almost nothing they can do about it so they have to come down hard on tree choppers to prevent it from happening in the future.

The escalation of conflict has been a result of your continued aggression against organizations in pursuit of honours quests. You have to expect reciprocity for that and if you want to avoid it, you have to engage them in character to try to make right what you did.

TL;DR: Actions have consequences, nobody plays the game in a bubble

Congratulations! By order of Newt Blasterson, you've been named a Master of the Aetherways!
    2015/12/09 23:54:29 - Pejat drained 2000000 power to raise Davos as a Vernal Ascendant.
    You use 80,000,000 of your divine essence. You gain BeauteousThought as a supernumerary power.
  • I handed over Kl'aet's corpse so that he'll know when he's back, instead of me knowing when he's back... The only reasoned I kept killing Kl'aet afterwards was because Cheonbi still kept getting killed, and I had to prevent Kl'aet's side from being completed.

Also I've offered to be killed for the Kingmaker thing (which, by the way, I did alone except for the initial murder of Thoril, yay me!), but @Davos insists on getting kills on absolutely everyone who had even the slightest connection to me: @Talan, @Synkarin, @Minase, @Malarious (this is the Thoril assassination group), @Gero (who just happened to be there when Davos tried to jump me), and @Lothringen and @Ixchilgal (who only came up to defend the ebony wakabi). There are consequences, and there are unreasonable consequences.

In any case, this is a bit too toxic for me. I've spent the better part of the last day for the Hand, and my sanity can no longer handle Lusternia.  :-h

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Man, it must be so hard to have people oppose you. I'm glad I play everywhere, so everyone can oppose me everywhere.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I killed Thoril.

There are several ways to get lumber that don't involve chopping trees in Serenwilde - two I can think of offhand that don't involve chopping trees anywhere, including neutral territory.

Quest lines are not evidence of wrongdoing. They are only evidence of opportunism.

You are now harping on someone who has admitted publicly that they're not up to having this fight with you. You look like a bully.

Stop it.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen?

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Er, he did actually chop down an Elder Tree. I saw him. And then told me he would cut down more if I didn't find a way to stop @Krek killing people. Even though I have no actual authority in the forest these days.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    This is great - especially coming from people like @Davos and @Maligorn who have complained about the same thing being done in the past, or have recently made complaints about game population and how things need to be less time-consuming like domoths, but you're going to purposefully go out of your way to make a particular character's life miserable because he crowned Ethilwen? or some sort of vengeance for Serenwilde? Can't they handle their own business?

I saw some of the tells that Davos sent to Eodh, and I know from past experience what he's capable of. There's a really big difference between IC consequences and just being straight up ridiculous. Insisting everyone involved heartstop or whatever? Come on now. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited November 2015
    I don't understand people sometimes. The options are you either ask we restrain Krek or you act aggressively.You don't get to do both and expect some cooperative response. By chopping that elder down before I could even read your complaints about Krek, I don't particularly feel inclined to tell Krek anything, nor all that sympathetic toward your quest. 

I think the general learning point from this thread is, if you are engaging in a quest that people can ruin via conflict, don't give them ample reason to feel spiteful towards you.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited November 2015
    Davos sends me tells telling me how much I suck every time he tries to engage me in PK, because he's a healer and I know there's no point bothering. I respond by giving his taunts a score out of ten. 

We're all bitches, really. Don't let it get to you. 

edit: Lol@Hallifax responding on behalf of Serenwilde. I'll take transparent bullshit for 500, Alex.
    One of the issues here is that some people believe they can themselves decide what is an acceptable consequence to their actions, and what is not. Don't get me wrong, I think killing the black Chocobo is a dick move, but -you- don't get to decide your punishment for what you've done against someone else.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Killing the wakabi isn't that big of a deal, I agree it's a dick move, but whatever

The rest of this conversation and the tells, etc, in addition to the obvious hypocrisy of certain individuals condoning it is what's the issue.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.

• Synkarin said:

I saw some of the tells that Davos sent to Eodh, and I know from past experience what he's capable of. There's a really big difference between IC consequences and just being straight up ridiculous. Insisting everyone involved heartstop or whatever? Come on now. 

I did call for the deaths of all those involved, as a way of demonstrating that Eodh dying once was no longer a meaningful resolution. I knew that it would never happen particularly when I included Gero in that list (with whom I had a pleasant conversation following my death). What I actually was hoping to negotiate was Thoril being crowned again. Eodh decided to disengage and go post on forums instead.

Eodh ran from conflict and called in friends when there was a reasonable claim to his death. I am not saying that it's unreasonable to run from conflict, but you have to expect it will move to other arenas. What other means is there available to impress upon him the seriousness of his action?

This was not Rivius and Davos trying to make anyone's life hell. It was simply reaction to attacks against our organizations with targetted attacks against the individual that perpetrated those crimes. If it had been anyone else working on that quest, there would have been no question that it was off limits.

I am not proud or glad that Eodh has taken this so seriously in his real life. However, if you start conflict quests with organizations, you have to expect reprisal. Similarly, I am sure that my attacks on Eodh will bring consequences to myself. I am willing to accept that without getting upset or leaving the game because I know that my actions warrant reprisal.

This is the last thing I have to say on this matter. To Eodh, Get some sleep. The game will seem less important and this conflict inconsequential in the face of a well rested day.

Congratulations! By order of Newt Blasterson, you've been named a Master of the Aetherways!
    2015/12/09 23:54:29 - Pejat drained 2000000 power to raise Davos as a Vernal Ascendant.
    You use 80,000,000 of your divine essence. You gain BeauteousThought as a supernumerary power.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited November 2015
    I have no comment on the Thoril part of this, or the various tells sent one way or the other (knowing some of the people involved, I can imagine that they are Over The Line).

In regards to chopping an Elder, though; if someone has done so, and if said someone threatened to do more, said someone should indeed not be surprised if their endeavours are messed with. You are screwing them out of their time to regrow and defend them while regrowing, so they are completely justified in messing about with your time. It is far healthier for them to do it to you than to random uninvolved orgmates of yours.

That said, Hallifax using it as part of their reasoning seems like thinly veiled justification (we want to mess with you, and hey, we know you did this thing so it is also part of our rarghrage), based on the comments thus far.
    Obivously instead of chopping trees, you should stalk krek every chance you get and make him not want to leave his forest.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited November 2015
    Hahaha. Chopping totems effectively makes you a terrorist, thinking that gives you any leverage is insane - it just makes people (IC and OOC eventually) hate you. What is the end game there, don't attack [me| my org | my friends | my enemies | my enemy's friends | third party orgs | literally anyone but the other forest] or we'll chop down your totems and there isn't anything you can do in return without being OOC ragers. 

EDIT: Continued chopping of trees eventually earns you the right to your very own dreamweaver entourage, helpfully picking up items for you!  You think it's bad getting your quest disrupted once?
    You guys are missing the big picture here if you think it's about stopping the epic, which has been said -multiple times now-, is not what it's about.

IC Consequences are fine. Incredibly colourful tells that are long and abusive are not. Does anybody disagree with that?

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    I have never disagreed with that. Ever. Not even in the post I just made!
    Then maybe that should be the focus rather than harping on things that everyone, even Eodh himself, has said is ok.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Isn't Eodh the kid who started in Seren, cried because Gloms griefed him, joined Glom, and then griefed Serens?

Synkarin said:
    Then maybe that should be the focus rather than harping on things that everyone, even Eodh himself, has said is ok.

Eodh said:
    Killing Cheonbi I can maybe deal with. The ebon wakabi, not so much. Nice to know unnecessary Epic Quest mob killing is a thing now. This will be fun! B-)

I missed Eodh saying it was okay, I've only seen a lot of posts by him complaining about epic quest griefing.  I may have missed something while reading on my phone, but he's definitely been complaining about the Epic Quest aspect, and thus my responses are in regards to the complaints that he himself is making.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Eh, honestly this whole thing has become more OOC-personal than I'm comfortable with. I think it's best we just cool down now and let it all drop.
    Synkarin said:

Eodh said:

Eodh said:
    I handed over Kl'aet's corpse so that he'll know when he's back, instead of me knowing when he's back... The only reasoned I kept killing Kl'aet afterwards was because Cheonbi still kept getting killed, and I had to prevent Kl'aet's side from being completed.

Also I've offered to be killed for the Kingmaker thing (which, by the way, I did alone except for the initial murder of Thoril, yay me!), but @Davos insists on getting kills on absolutely everyone who had even the slightest connection to me: @Talan, @Synkarin, @Minase, @Malarious (this is the Thoril assassination group), @Gero (who just happened to be there when Davos tried to jump me), and @Lothringen and @Ixchilgal (who only came up to defend the ebony wakabi). There are consequences, and there are unreasonable consequences.

In any case, this is a bit too toxic for me. I've spent the better part of the last day for the Hand, and my sanity can no longer handle Lusternia.  :-h

What? No, it seems like the focus is "consequences, and [...] unreasonable consequences." No one thinks that bad tells are good, and I urge @Eodh to use the Issues system to address problems with harassing tells, it's not cool.

Xenthos said:

Synkarin said:

Eodh said:

I missed Eodh saying it was okay, I've only seen a lot of posts by him complaining about epic quest griefing.  I may have missed something while reading on my phone, but he's definitely been complaining about the Epic Quest aspect, and thus my responses are in regards to the complaints that he himself is making.

You are missing the relevant part where he was still in good spirits about things and not ready to qq the game over certain things said by people.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited November 2015
    Frankly, the whole Thoril thing sounds like a thinly veiled justification. No org actually has any reason to make that quest into that big of a kerfuffle, unless individuals just want to make it personal for the sake of making it personal. 

At first blush, Davos sounds reasonable enough, but he's certainly spinning the story once you look a little deeper. "Eodh ran from conflict and called in friends...you have to expect it will move to other arenas" for example, but what we also know is Davos is playing a basically unkillable healer researcher-on a mechanical level there is no reason for Eodh or anyone to even bother with Davos in a 1v1. 

Davos knows this, he's said so on forums how ridiculous institute healers are, so Davos behaving as if he's looking for some meaningful conflict through direct confrontation with Eodh is fairly disingenuous and kind of slimey. Especially considering he goes a step further to blame Eodh for the escalation because he won't fight Davos. 

No shade girl, but if you want meaningful conflict, take off the training wheels (I can say that, because I wrote the book on modern healer cheese). Just don't behave as if people not engaging you on your terms is justification for further dickery

edit: I have no qualms with screwing with people's epics or griefing in general. No one is entitled to epics just because they want one. My point is having some integrity about what you choose to do and the situations you decide to be apart of. Be a turd, it's a conflict game, but be honest about it.
    Synkarin said:

Xenthos said:

Synkarin said:

Eodh said:

You are missing the relevant part where he was still in good spirits about things and not ready to qq the game over certain things said by people.
    I've never seen anyone post like that when being "in good spirits"... that's a rage-response.  Which, every time I've seen it, has quickly descended into something like this if the rage-inducing behaviour continues.
    It may be a 'argh you killed by wakabi' response, but it certainly not a 'I'm going to qq Lusternia because I was verbally berated' response which is what this turned into. 

You're missing the point where this turned from simple consequences based on actions to incredibly toxic tells sent by indiviuduals and said individual is using the guise of 'consequences' to justify his tells. 

Your continual pedantic efforts to not be wrong aren't really needed nor wanted. Yes @Xenthos you are right, chopping elders and the like come with consequences, they don't come with toxic, uncalled for tells that force someone who happens to be sensitive to that kind of thing to want to quit the game rather than toughen up and get even. Ok? Satisfied? Now drop it and focus on the real issue.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Luckily, you aren't the hall monitor of this thread, and don't control conversation. I'm pretty sure you're wrong (and I'm not the only one) about the "focus", and don't appreciate your trying to dismiss real and valid replies to the presented complaint. 

You're right! If @Davos is sending toxic tells that's bad, and he should feel bad (and be issued, and be dealt with appropriately). Literally no one (besides perhaps @Davos) disagrees. These facts do not trump the rest of the thread. Tough! 
This discussion has been closed.