Solstice Stockings!

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Veil isn't a get out of combat free card.....

Veil doesn't prevent combat of any sort, whatsoever

I'd much rather everyone have access to veil than prismatic barrier, which does actually affect combat.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Get more than 1 room away and pop veil - now the only methods of tracking your location is seek (which is basically out of the question), and bond seeking which is slow. As has been demonstrated many times in Wildnodes and forest raids, this makes you effectively impossible to engage, even in places where fast travel like flow are possible. Benny hilling ensues and you escape - or accomplish your goal even with staunch opposition, as they just can't find you or catch you.  At least it's confined to one skillset, and isn't available as an artifact yet - even in the IREs where you CAN get a veil artifact, other people with the artifact can freely sense you and relay that information back to their allies, so you can't act with total impunity. 
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited December 2015
    A once a month veil is definitely being blown out of proportion here. I've been able to deal with veiled opponents without much issue, so I don't know why you guys have such a problem. They still get hit by meld effects, shrines, discretionaries, totems, pits aka literally everything. It's just a temporary counter to automated tracking everyone has gotten extremely lazy about, which is not an issue with veil.

Prismatic is always useful. Always. Veil has counters, prismatic does not.

edit: the thing with veil is that, unless it's against a vastly larger group, it doesn't add anything significant to your ability to escape or avoid combat. Anyone worth their salt can escape solo and small group combat at will, it's just not difficult. Veil is for when you have a large number of people trying to murder you, and provides only a temporary relief from that. 

Veil doesn't make you impossible to engage. What part of veil prevents you from attacking someone? Are you sure you aren't confusing a prismatic barrier for veil? Prismatic literally prevents you from attacking someone with anything other than psionics.

As Celina pointed out, I can prime raid Serenwilde rather easily, regardless of whether you can find me or not. This is demonstrably true. Veil has little to do with that. 

PS, why can't you take the advice of other IRE's and have someone seek and relay that information back to you... 

Don't get me wrong, if I had the choice between a 1/day veil, and a 1/day 5 sec prismatic barrier, I'd take veil in a heartbeat, between 1/day trueheal and 1/day veil, would take trueheal. 1/day 5 sec prismatic barrier is really lacklustre compared to the other suggestions.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    That's kind of the point right? It's not supposed to be a crazy power? Heh.
    I mean, I'd take the prismatic barrier. As a highmagic mage, I don't have any prismatic and I'd definitely use it. I'd use veil too. Depends on the individual, a lowmagic user might have little use for barrier. A stealth user will have no use for veil. Etc etc.
    There's a difference between crazy and worthwhile. A 1/day 5s prismatic barrier isn't worthwhile for me.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • These aren't one time use right?

Probably already answered but thread is tl;dr
  • lol, a veil derail.

I've said this before somewhere else, and I'll say it again. Veil is extremely powerful. I use (or abuse, if you're on the receiving end) it every single time I get the opportunity to do something useful with it. And I've not used it as an escape skill in real life years. If you can get one room out and use veil, you can get one room out and haul your ass out of there in the 4s balance it takes to veil (in addition to however many seconds of balance you had to spend to use an ability to get out of the room in the first place). Not being able to be scried means nothing if you're stuck there for four seconds waiting for the zerg to come have tea with you.

It has limited application in combat, it's especially useful for scouting, mind games and baiting when you're outnumbered and alone versus a group. It's even useful for clearing traps in an area large enough that you can maneuver around in. In actual combat? Pretty much near to zero use.

It has far more application in questing, both to complete and to disrupt quests. The only other skill more powerful than veil in questing is probably deepcover. Despite both, however, and especially for conflict quests, it's not difficult to counter quests, and paranoia can disrupt most quests. The mists of Lirangsha provide far more power when you want to complete a quest in the face of determined opposition.

All of the above weaknesses are doubly true with the cooldown given to veil years ago.

I'll say this again. Veil is extremely powerful. Few abilities match veil in what it can do, and what a clever person can achieve with it. It is one of my favourite skills because it has such a unique and potent niche, and occupies a purpose that no other ability provides. It is still pretty much useless in actual combat.

My only complaint here is that giving it to everyone reduces the uniqueness of the Stealth skillset, which is already extremely utility based. Yes, as a once a game month artifact, it hardly gives a huge enough benefit to threaten Stealth as one of the better utility skillsets in the game, but on the flipside, that also means to me that we're giving away my skill (yes, MINE!) to the unwashed plebians for... little effect. Let me hoard it to myself, if that's the case! =(

Joking aside, as a once a game month veil, it's probably perfectly fine. I'll find some other way to spruce up Stealth via reports.

• Okay, we need to make a decision. This is what I have so far:

Peppermint

• 1 peppermint = candy stick (2/6 ego buff for 1 hour, 1/game month)
    • 2 peppermints = candy rod (2/6 mana buff for 1 hour, 1/game month)
    • 3 peppermints = candy cane (2/6 health buff for 1 hour, 1/game month)
    • 4 peppermints = candy staff (2/6 universal damage resistance for 1 hour, 1/game month)
    • 5 peppermints = candy pole (trueheal that you can only use on someone else, 1/game month)

Coal

• 1 coal = trowel (acts as a shovel for digging with faster balance recovery)
    • 2 coal = spade (pit trap, 1/game month; if tracker, pit traps cost no commodities)
    • 3 coal = shovel (earthquake that knocks down enemies and stuns, 1/game month)
    • 4 coal = drill (2/6 universal damage buff for 1 hour, 1/game month)
    • 5 coal = bin (veil, 1/game month)
    Last chance to give input!!

• Portius said:
    Make sure the 1 coal digging power stacks with the silver shovel, so it's useful to people who already have the artifact. Make it reduce the balance on the three level shovel dig.
    This. Yes.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited December 2015
    Do ALL pit traps cost no commodities, or just 1/month? Because your post makes it sound like all, which is pretty strong, whereas just once per month is basically useless.

Also, you would have to make disarming them provide no comms... or one could just generate free wood.
  • Xenthos said:
    Do ALL pit traps cost no commodities, or just 1/month? Because your post makes it sound like all, which is pretty strong, whereas just once per month is basically useless.

Also, you would have to make disarming them provide no comms... or one could just generate free wood.
    Good point. I was thinking of all but they should definitely provide no comms on disarming!
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    So happy for a promo item I have no problem skipping, given prior investments. Good luck everyone!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I actually kind of want the 2-coal one, but don't have any interest in the peppermint one at all.

Also, just $45 to buy 10 stockings, and can trade the peppermints for coal... so.  Actually is tempting, because the price value is so low in comparison to prior promotions.

But still have the rest of the month to decide.
  • I'm gonna be totally honest and say I'm tempted by that digging balance more than anything else, and the fact that it's level 1 makes me actually consider trying for it. So I guess this is a successfully alluring promo for me now. I want the coal. Give me the coal.
  • Not a fan of real trueheal, I agree with the scalpel suggestions.

10s prismatic, all affs and wounds cured, this is just asking for hard people to have multiple lives.  At least make it reasonable to kill people like me when someone is nearby.

Also not happy about veil, would rather see it brief because of known harassers. Outside of players intent on harassment, it is NOT deepcover, it is veil, so this will have some limitations on it. Once they leave your site, assume they are gone though.
  • Im confused...I thought the Gold and Plat stockings would later contain limited artifact gifts...no? Or are these them?
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Yes, these are them. They are limited edition artifacts.
  • edited December 2015
    Edit: I was corrected.

I previously beliefed platinum=coal and golden=peppermint, which would present a few problems econimically due to the release table, but if they are randomly distributed between the two types then that's fine.
    Congratulations! By order of Newt Blasterson, you've been named a Master of the Aetherways!
    2015/12/09 23:54:29 - Pejat drained 2000000 power to raise Davos as a Vernal Ascendant.
    You use 80,000,000 of your divine essence. You gain BeauteousThought as a supernumerary power.
  • Mmm, not what I expected
  • Trading 2 peppermint for 2 coal, when the time comes! Get your trueheals here!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited December 2015
    Can we put things in people's stockings? Little extra gifts for them to receive when they unwrap them? Also, can gold and platinum stockings be hung for other people?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Looking for official answer:

Can gold and platinum each produce either a peppermint or coal or is gold only peppermint and platinum only coal?

Can gold/platinum stockings be hung for others?

Can peppermint and coal be transfered to others? (I have seen references to trading, but not selling of them)
    Congratulations! By order of Newt Blasterson, you've been named a Master of the Aetherways!
    2015/12/09 23:54:29 - Pejat drained 2000000 power to raise Davos as a Vernal Ascendant.
    You use 80,000,000 of your divine essence. You gain BeauteousThought as a supernumerary power.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    From what I understand, the answers are

1. They are mixed, so it isn't one for one and one for the other.

2: Yes.

3: Yes.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Trading 2 peppermint for 2 coal, when the time comes! Get your trueheals here!

Dibs on your goodies. And your coal.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Loving these stockings! I sure wish there was was a command like STOCKINGS to show you where yours are, and if you can open them or not. Hint hint @Baelor @Ieptix @Estarra
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I thought I added that already. Stupid memory screwing with my head.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.