City Aethers

So I am really curious what the attitude and style of everyone's city aether is like. I have not had to alt and spy on the other orgs after I started playing again but I've noticed that Magnagora's city aether has become really relaxed. A lot of slang, talking mechanics, people just ranting or bullshitting over CT. It's not exactly bad but it's really different from what I remember and really weird to me. An active CT is great but when most of it is not really IC or furthering RP it is kind of jarring. Are most of the orgs like this? Are other places doing it differently? (I already know I'm a grump so no worries, no need to let me know)

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited February 2016
    Glomdoring's is IC.  Magnagora has (for a couple of RL years at least) considered certain aethers (like squads) to be OOC.  I've had to let people know, when they come to Glomdoring, that we don't have the same view of them.  Perhaps that is just kind of creeping further to other aethers?  Can't really say, I cannot see Mag's CT at all, so I do not know what they're doing.

I would think that if it got too out of hand on CT that the admin would start docking rolepoints, however.
  • It's not OOC but it's also not always IC if that makes sense. It can just get really casual and slangy and rubbing up against just being an OOC channel. 
  • Phoebus said:
    I know exactly what you mean. I alted in Magnagora for a bit a few months ago, and between multiple people attempting to screw me just because I was playing a furry race and the borderline OOC attitude on the city aether (and outright OOC discussion in squads,) I felt disinclined to continue there. Very much different from how I remember it being years ago on my Geomancer. I have not experienced this in any other org I've played in within the past few months (can't speak for Celest, only place I've not poked around in since coming back.)
      being a furry race has nothing to do with getting cruised on. just saying.

squads are considered ooc. at least, mine are. i let everyone know up front. city-purposed squads, e.g. for domoths, are also ooc unless someone leader-ey sets ic tones.

you should've talked to me or one of the leader people :/ this is the kind of stuff we need to know. i'm the first to admit magnagora isn't perfect but how are we supposed to fix things if we don't know what's broken?

rant aside, my previous post is totally accurate. /sunglasses/

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Yarou said:
    Phoebus said:
    I know exactly what you mean. I alted in Magnagora for a bit a few months ago, and between multiple people attempting to screw me just because I was playing a furry race and the borderline OOC attitude on the city aether (and outright OOC discussion in squads,) I felt disinclined to continue there. Very much different from how I remember it being years ago on my Geomancer. I have not experienced this in any other org I've played in within the past few months (can't speak for Celest, only place I've not poked around in since coming back.)
      being a furry race has nothing to do with getting cruised on. just saying.

squads are considered ooc. at least, mine are. i let everyone know up front. city-purposed squads, e.g. for domoths, are also ooc unless someone leader-ey sets ic tones.

you should've talked to me or one of the leader people :/ this is the kind of stuff we need to know. i'm the first to admit magnagora isn't perfect but how are we supposed to fix things if we don't know what's broken?

rant aside, my previous post is totally accurate. /sunglasses/

Actually no aethers outside of newbie are considered ooc. Private clans are the exception. If everyone in the clan/squad wants to be ooc that's fine, but it's certainly not the rule.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm pretty sure the only blind-eye aethers are Shipt and certain clans. Shipt only when everyone is in agreement and only because it's so gorram spammy, and OOC clans because you really need a clan to talk about stuff like kata forms and high-level strategies. It can only be hand-waved and vagued around so much without losing meaning.

I've never heard of squads being OOC, nor covens, and ESPECIALLY not GT, CT, OT, etc...
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Luce said:
    I'm pretty sure the only blind-eye aethers are Shipt and certain clans.
    After having witnessed a god poking in on shipt more than once, I have to say that you're not entirely correct.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Eritheyl said:
    Phoebus said:

I don't really know where this idea came from, but squads aren't supposed to be OOC. And yes, it was about being a furry race. I specifically had someone say to me "Oooh, a <race>. I like." and lick me. At the Megalith. In front of some "leader people." No one batted an eye.
    Yep, that's Magnagora in a nutshell. The rich lore and atmosphere just weren't worth dealing with that shit every. Single. Day. For me, at least.
    Both of these are breaking my heart. It is a damn shame that you both got chased out because people were like that. Especially you @Phoebus, you're great people and a great player. @Eritheyl, you are probably also good people even if you're not a nice person :D
    Othero said:
    Both of these are breaking my heart. It is a damn shame that you both got chased out because people were like that. Especially you @Phoebus, you're great people and a great player. @Eritheyl, you are probably also good people even if you're not a nice person :D
    That's really...uh, sweet and stuff. But no, I'm shit. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

(they won't, it's okay)

I had a lot of Big Plans for my stay in Magnagora, but yeah. The people sort of trumped the potential, which - while I've encountered the same thing in Gaudiguch, and was my reason for leaving Gaudiguch to begin with - is more than a little disappointing considering just how much I love the themework that's gone into the org.

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Listen, I was just trying to sound nice. Anyone who knows me also knows I was vomiting blood as I typed all that out.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited February 2016
    If it happens IG and doesn't come with an admin dictated* OOC designation, then anyone can take it IC, even if previously agreed upon that the chat was OOC.

2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • From what I have been told and a quick google search, what is said on clans can be considered IC knowledge as well as far as the admin are concerned.
  • Othero said:
    Bitch about it and someone will take notice. Say something. Tell someone. Some of our leaders are dumbasses -- others are pretty damn awesome. Ilthilior, for instance. Zarialle. Esca. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm awesome (yet) but I care and that's important, too. I love Magnagora. I want to see it fulfill its potential and more. But I can't push for changes that I have no knowledge of IG.

It'd be good roleplay, too! Make a snide, slightly bitter comment referencing Magnagora's broken decorum. Yarou's aware that it's a problem -- she's also aware it's on the Council's list to tackle -- but she hasn't yet been moved to take an aggressive stance on it. Actually, this would be great roleplay. It'd inspire Yarou to shape up and become more of a role model in terms of proper behavior.

Even better if someone who was a recent novice in Magnagora brought it up. Or knew a recent novice. Yarou's fiercely protective of all novices/newbies, even the ones that aren't Magnagoran, and if someone tells her a novice was spurred to leave the city because they were made uncomfortable by something that happened within the city walls, I can guarantee she'll do a 360 turn around into mother goat mode and push for quicker changes.

Come on, guys. We can sit here and talk about the broken shit all night but talking isn't doing. Ffs, I'm ready to do this.

Othero said:
    Listen, I was just trying to sound nice. Anyone who knows me also knows I was vomiting blood as I typed all that out.
    I'm...sorry?

(are we mad at each other now, is that a thing that's happening, uhhhh)

/scuttles away awkwardly

-

• edited February 2016
    Eritheyl said:
    Othero said:
    Listen, I was just trying to sound nice. Anyone who knows me also knows I was vomiting blood as I typed all that out.
    I'm...sorry?

(are we mad at each other now, is that a thing that's happening, uhhhh)

/scuttles away awkwardly
    Can we be frenemies?

Edit: It's not about you. I'm just a Mag in real life. Saying nice things causes ulcers and ulcers cause blood.
  • Marcella said:
    Half of us hate Munsia's fur-squad too. @Yarou is entirely incorrect. Magnagora is the mudsex capitol of Lusternia. It's overtaken Serenwilde.
      WOW THE FIRST TIME YOU TAG ME ON THE FORUMS EVER AND IT'S TO DISS ME?

Yarou said:
    Bitch about it and someone will take notice. Say something. Tell someone.

Make a snide, slightly bitter comment referencing Magnagora's broken decorum.

Even better if someone who was a recent novice in Magnagora brought it up. Or knew a recent novice.
    Sorry, these things don't work. They've been done in the past, repeatedly, and by multiple people. It does as much good (read: none) as bitching about it here, so. GG?

-

• Silvanus said:
    Even if you did manage change in Magnagora, eventually, someone will replace you and just let them all back in.
      Oh, I don't plan to go anywhere for a long. Long. Time. And even if I do, I have plans in place to train up mini-mes to carry on my work when I'm gone.

• Maligorn said:
    @Yarou it's what I like to call "Evil Org Syndrome". Everyone thinks Magnagora is Mhaldor and think that they're so edgy and evil that they can get away with acting like a tool on IC aethers. It's chronic and incurable. Sorry.
       I'm Sartan. I will bring change. Or eternal pain. It's your choice.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Some of us used to get abused for trying to stand their ground on decorum. Like called a prude or just a plain bitch trying to ruin everyone's fun. Not to mention the whole 'don't need to pay attention to the decorum scroll, it's just Lavinya being a c-word trying to lord it over people' (never mind I only updated the scroll originally written by Nariah, ffs.) 

I'm glad that there are people who are actually trying to make a firm stance in Magnagora again, but don't presume that we never tried, or it was never reported. Please. The problem is a vast majority of the population either didn't care, were engaging in said furry orgy, or didn't want to be the target of the vitriol that comes from the very fiesty worst offender. (As someone who copped it ALL THE FREAKING TIME, I don't blame them.)

Good luck, Othero and others who actually want to restore Magnagora's culture. You need it.

• Say what you want, but Magnagora is never dull.
  • Every org's CT gets muddled up with OOC at times. How swiftly it is corrected depends on whether there are any respected people putting their foot down, and how respected the infringers are. If I were to make a semi-OOC comment on CT, I could probably say nothing to follow up and maybe get it shrugged off and quietly left alone... unless there's someone like Celina or Xenthos who would make a snarky remark or remind me that I should clarify that I mis-channed (as an excuse, even if I didn't mis-chan) or something.

The more times immersion and in-character-roles are broken over CT, the easier it is to make more such infringements in the future, and the more people will shrug it off and start thinking it is alright to do so.

Changing a set culture can be difficult, but not impossible. But it also depends on how wide your contacts and your soft power in terms of relationships and contacts is. Someone who doesn't hold an official position can subtly create more change than the seated CL at times, depending on who they have as enemies or friends. Naturally, if the official seated officers are creating or reinforcing such situations over CT, then it boils down to someone with a better reach than them - Viravain has spoken up when she doesn't like the way a conversation is going on Glom CT before, and while the opinions aren't always reconciled, the decorum of the channel itself is - the argument is almost always moved somewhere else at the very least.

It certainly won't be something that changes overnight - getting the buy-in from the perpetrators is almost as important as creating a base of soft power for yourself or convincing others to support your push for more ICness or decorum. Some people just won't change their habits, and others see it as a hassle. And some of these people can be very entrenched in terms of their presence as a player and as a character both. If you can't convince them to correct themselves and subscribe to your ideal, it's likely going to be an uphill battle.

• Marcella said:
    Say what you want, but Magnagora is never dull.
    Despite the common belief that I left Mag because of 'drama' or to follow the d'Murani, the fact is I left Mag because nobody did anything and it was just plain boring.  Everyone talked in their OOC clans which I wasn't involved in and as a result the city felt like ghost town.  Everyone else moving created a good time and opportunity.  Mag may have changed now but it was quite dull previously.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

This discussion has been closed.