City Aethers

Comments

• Silvanus said:
    Even if you did manage change in Magnagora, eventually, someone will replace you and just let them all back in.
    Every
    god
    damn
    time
  • Because 90% of the time we have to explain entirely ooc mechanics over said channels. Like, combat.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Marcella said:
    Because 90% of the time we have to explain entirely ooc mechanics over said channels. Like, combat.
    But 99% of the time that's not what's going on over those channels.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    That's not a reason to start off OOC. 

Do you guys not have gold to buy a combat clan? Is the legion not cool enough anymore? Is typing sqt or shipt easier than clt?
  • the funny thing is that the combat clan is IC
  • Like every astral bash is just ooc chillling pretty much
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    It definitely is, but there is a very clear line between shooting the (OOC) shit in a private clan and shooting the (OOC) shit in a public channel.
  • Leolamins said:
    Marcella said:
    Say what you want, but Magnagora is never dull.
    Despite the common belief that I left Mag because of 'drama' or to follow the d'Murani, the fact is I left Mag because nobody did anything and it was just plain boring.  Everyone talked in their OOC clans which I wasn't involved in and as a result the city felt like ghost town.  Everyone else moving created a good time and opportunity.  Mag may have changed now but it was quite dull previously.

Stahp lying. We all know Lavinya gave you the choice of ever being given a plate for dinner again, or staying in Mag.
  • edited February 2016
    As for a more serious response.

The whole licking and fur thing was 99% Munsia, and we -all- hated it, but Munsia was like an aggressive tumor that was difficult to deal with, if even remove. I am deeply sorry to any that had to suffer her shit at the Megalith. You wont believe the amount of times it has been brought up if she should be put in her place or even removed for it. There is a reason she has a muzzle!

As for CT, I can say without a doubt that it does not break any OOC rules. I think using this term is going to project a distorted image of the situation. I believe what is trying to be implied here is that Magnagora's CT is very casual.

The thing is, Magnagora is a militaristic state and most of its citizens are soldiers and fighters. Most of its population just look to the thrill of combat and bashing, and it is common that the CT would develop into a common talk.

A good comparison, for those that know the Manga and Anime, is the Fairy Tail guild. Discipline is out the window, and they like to make scuffles moreso than often, but they are pretty close at the hip. Nakama yo. (Cant believe I just used that reference)

This is not to say RP and IC are non-existent in Magnagora. You will find it in scads with the right groups. Nihilists are filled with it. You just need to keep to your guns, and you will attract the same individuals. Also, decorum is taken seriously to an extent. If you find something deeply upsetting in someone's actions, such as licking you, report it to the leader or council member, heck even moreso to a council member that you know is strongly against such things (Zarialle comes to mind). You can be expected a quick disfavor to that individual.

As for Squads and Shipt, this goes back to the fighter's theme. It was only natural that they would devolve into OOC talks of strategies, abilities, triggers, and so forth. Hardy fighters are hardy.
  • Celest is pretty strict on keeping OOC out of anything remotely IG, and that includes SHIPT and SQT. I've been yelled at before for being OOC during aetherhunts, which is part of the reason why I created my own OOC aetherhunting clan.

However, we have been known to throw out Mean Girls quotes from time-to-time (both @Azula and @Lorina are quick on the draw with them). I also like making topical Fox News jokes, but I'm odd like that.

• Xenthos said:
    Yarou said:

squads are considered ooc. at least, mine are. i let everyone know up front. city-purposed squads, e.g. for domoths, are also ooc unless someone leader-ey sets ic tones.

Just... keep them IC.  It's better to limit OOC to a very select few places (if you have a clan or two).  The more OOC channels you use, the easier it is to not see the big deal in talking elsewhere.  Some people can keep it better than others, but even if you're one of them, who's to say that the others in the squad with you are able to keep the distinction?  OOC squads make me sad.  :(
    OOC squads are usually because newbies. It's easier than tells or messages. If they're chill with it, so am I.

• Ok, I feel like I hit a nerve with this when I didn't mean to, though it has been enlightening. Calling Mag's CT OOC probably is not exactly right but I'm having trouble explaining it exactly. It's just become very casual in a city who's entire character is stuffy nobles and disciplined warriors. I wanted to figure out if most places had turned out like that or not. I did not even know that squads had become OOC chats.

For examples of what I mean by casual it's people joining and leaving by just going "Hi!" and "Bye!", using modern slang, whining about lag but saying it's "soul aeon" so it's fine, quoting system and game messages over CT. Each piece on its own is innocuous but it really kills the mood of the city and this thread has shown that it's chased some people off.

As for the "Munsia was 99% of the furry licking and she's so hard to remove." that's just shameful. Someone sexually abusing people out of the city shouldn't be hard to remove.
  • You can't claim that Munsia was 99% of the problem and that everyone hated it while also saying she was hard to remove. Obviously there are enough people in power who accept it and they are just as much part of the problem.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Othero said:

As for the "Munsia was 99% of the furry licking and she's so hard to remove." that's just shameful. Someone sexually abusing people out of the city shouldn't be hard to remove.
    You wouldn't think so, but it's pretty true.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I think one of the issues here is there's different views of what consists being In Character, versus not overtly breaking rules, versus being Out Of Character. That's something I've noticed since coming here (same for what constitutes RP). 
  • Falmiis said:
    You can't claim that Munsia was 99% of the problem and that everyone hated it while also saying she was hard to remove. Obviously there are enough people in power who accept it and they are just as much part of the problem.
    The other 1% of the problem was, yes, the rest of the city. We pretty much let her go unchecked for so long that she just ran roughshod over everyone, including the Council. Excuses were made for her because she was a combatant and contributed so much pure power to the city. But I like to think she'll come back with a changed attitude. Hopefully. If not .. well, I'll do my best to stay out of her way and let her dig herself deeper, because at this point I'm done letting people like her ruin my gameplay.

@Allyriane, you make a good point. I usually try to get a fix on the person behind the character, because Lusternia can be pretty overwhelming in the beginning. But roleplay is also important to me -- I'll work on a new approach to blend the two.

• Othero said:
    Ok, I feel like I hit a nerve with this when I didn't mean to, though it has been enlightening. Calling Mag's CT OOC probably is not exactly right but I'm having trouble explaining it exactly. It's just become very casual in a city who's entire character is stuffy nobles and disciplined warriors. I wanted to figure out if most places had turned out like that or not. I did not even know that squads had become OOC chats.

For examples of what I mean by casual it's people joining and leaving by just going "Hi!" and "Bye!", using modern slang, whining about lag but saying it's "soul aeon" so it's fine, quoting system and game messages over CT. Each piece on its own is innocuous but it really kills the mood of the city and this thread has shown that it's chased some people off.

ah see, that is a completely different problem then. You gave the assumption to many that the city aether had become just another OOC clan or had let RP completely die.

Yes, as I said, Mag public aethers are quite casual, you will however find more constrained and harder RP focus within societies in Magnagora, such as certain families, and even guilds. I know that the Ur'guard have a pretty strong upholding of certain behavior on their channel, and I personally can attest to the Nihilist channel being pretty strongly RP focused. If you want to find stronger RP communications, I would suggest searching for these societies and placing your focus there.

As for the Munsia issue, it has become such a dangerous mess that i'm not touching it with a 50-foot pole.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    @Yarou honey, you are so new to the Munsia problem. Sweet summer child. She has been hard to remove because she has a lot of support from people willing to overlook her bullshit. And anyone who stood up to it was abused or ignored or told to ignore HER by people who should have been working to protect novices and magnagoran rp. Basically this is a lot older of an issue than you.

• edited February 2016
    Well, I have experience with Glomdoring and Celest's CT's. I will start with Celest:

Celest has kind of fallen a bit since the days of Malicia and Nydekion. As Isanyl, I heard some conversations that made me turn my head and some of the behavior at the Pool would've probably resulted in Malicia beheading someone. Just a lot of licking, snuggling, groping, etc. by ranking Paladins and other members of the Star Council. It did not put a good impression of Celest in my head and I found myself losing patience really quickly. I had always imagined Celest as the steadfast 'The world is divided in two: The Light and the Enemy' mentality group. Which, honestly, was awesome. I loved that about Celest and I found myself really disappointed with what I saw.

As for Glomdoring, I'm pretty biased, but I've never really heard an inappropriate conversation over CT. Maybe once or twice in a blue moon, but the fact that I can't remember any in particular is pretty telling. Glom's CT is generally asking if anyone needs help, if there's anything to do, and NMBG/GBTG. It's quiet, but it CAN get social and that's a good thing. Most of our camaraderie is on Shadow Kindred, which was an OOC clan that we (by which I mean Salome) created for Glomdoring specifically so we could get to know each other better as players and bond. It's worked out very well. 
  • I've never really experienced any of the things you mentioned with Celest. That said though, there are always going to be particulars in organisations. I can tell you now that Glomdoring, Serenwilde, Hallifax, pretty much everywhere has particulars. I've never felt my immersion tested on any of the four organisations I've played in during my time in Lusternia so I'm going to assume it's a local problem. I don't think I've ever seen groping at any nexus, ever, and I am online a lot.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Lavinya said:
    @Yarou honey, you are so new to the Munsia problem. Sweet summer child. She has been hard to remove because she has a lot of support from people willing to overlook her bullshit. And anyone who stood up to it was abused or ignored or told to ignore HER by people who should have been working to protect novices and magnagoran rp. Basically this is a lot older of an issue than you.
      Oh, I'm aware. When I first came to Magnagora and my interactions with Munsia went sour, I got really familiar with those people who overlook her bullshit. I was made out to be the bad guy, somehow. I complained about her more than a few times to Council members. I got into spats with her over CT, at the Megalith, etc.

Some of them got very explicit and very nasty -- hell, even petty, but once I realized Munsia was a considerable part of Mag's problem and that nothing would change unless she was either removed or saw the error of her ways [we know the latter wasn't going to happen], I made it a point to target Munsia every time she tried to start shit. Running into a room and randomly backhanding people for no reason is the only example I'll give, since I honestly have no wish to get into the old Why Munsia's Poison conversation.

But yeah. As far as I'm concerned, Munsia got what she deserved. Something that she'd had coming for a loooong time.

• Hey, so,

I have a lowbie in Mag now, have for about... two RL months? Maybe a bit less.

A couple of things I noticed that seemed odd to me:

a) The first domoth squad I was ever in was blatantly OOC. Well, I'm okay with that, actually, but I am used to it being totally IC.
    b) What the hell is going on with CT. Seriously. There's a few key people who I see talking in CT and to me it 100% looks like a mistell from what was supposed to be in an OOC clan. And then I realize that no, it's intentionally being said there? 

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Yarou said:

But yeah. As far as I'm concerned, Munsia got what she deserved. Something that she'd had coming for a loooong time.
    She'll be back sooner than you think, don't get too comfortable.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Munsia's one of those people who repeatedly gets a pass. None of her many, many shrubbings will stick, despite repetitive abusive actions.
    See you in Sapience.
This discussion has been closed.