Lusternia Pro Tips

Help the newbies out! What are some tips that you can give to the new (and maybe not so new) players?

Comments

• Try every feature you can out at least once. You never know what you might find an aptitude for or really enjoy.
  • What does gotop do..?
    beep
  • Goto player. 
  • When learning combat, learn how to do one thing, and ingrain it as a habit. Then, when you're comfortable, add one more thing to your repetoire, then another, then another. In this way, you can not be too overwhelmed with complexity and panic about what to do in a fight, and over time you'll master your class and all its tricks.
  • Everything you die to is not OP
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    If someone invites you to their manse alone, 1) a manse is basically like a house, 2) they might be trying to initiate mudsex, ie, sexting. Be aware that this is a thing, and unfortunately a thing that people assume everyone knows. I didn't as a new player. :|
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Celest's Bathhouse > Krin's Bathhouse.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    edited April 2016
    Don't live in a bubble. Try different classes, make alts, explore the world, and listen to different conversations. Especially if you want to engage in PK and be successful at it. One of the worst things you can do is live in an echo chamber with your own org or allies who circulate the same opinions about what's OP, what's no good, what strategies work, etc etc. If you ask the most successful PKers in the game what classes they've played, they will give you a list. 

The best way to learn a class's strengths and weaknesses is to play it. Barring that (because it's not always that easy), spar the class you have difficulty over and over and over until you understand it. Spar people that will  kick your ass, log it, review it, and ask them questions. Keep doing it until they stop kicking your ass. 

Review your fights after they are done. Always. I still review my fights every single time. It's hard to learn on the fly with spam scrolling like the matrix across your screen. You learn by looking at what you did and understanding what you could have done better. Did you not run when you should have? Are you missing an important highlight? Did you fail to gust save your melder? Read your logs, read your logs, read your logs. 

If you REALLY want to improve, you can ask combatants to review your logs. Most of us actually enjoy reading logs. You can probably find some someone to give you tips. Share your logs and get input. Beware of trolls who are angry you killed them with "OP skills." (disclaimer: some people who are terrible will give you tips and talk a big game. Just be careful what advice you take.)

The first step to learning group PK is learning how to survive and how to run. Abbreviated as "will to live."

Embrace dying as part of learning. It costs almost nothing. You'll get over it. 
    As an extension of this, read other people's logs, too! You might see they have their echoes or highlights set up in a way that makes you think "oh my god I need that", or you'll realize you should be paying closer attention to something you're currently barely aware of more easily than you might figure it out on your own. I really wish I could read most other people's logs (unfortunately, since most people use the normal color setup of black with a bunch of bright colors on it, I can't without royally effing my eyes up for hours and getting migraines :( ). But if you're able to do so, do it!
  • edited April 2016
    Say what you want, lowmagic and highmagic shields have saved my life on so many occasions!

If you have healing or defencive skills don't be afraid to use them. If you have that spammable prismatic you press that button if you have to until you're better! You aren't given skills in a skillset to not use them!
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Shaddus said:
    A large amount of people in this game are introverts who don't socialize a lot in real life, and use this game as an outlet. 
    Super guilty.
  • Followup to what Shedrin said, you can use -1.[object] to target the last of something.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Kalnid said:
    Followup to what Shedrin said, you can use -1.[object] to target the last of something.
    REALLY?! Omg. I usually just do last.[object].
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • You can add "here" to the end of any command to only work with objects in the room, as opposed to in your inventory.

For example "touch crystal here", or "read scroll here".
  • Shedrin said:
    You can target the second of something in a room or in your inventory with 2.[object]. For example... "probe 2.earring", or "attack 2.guard".

3.[object], 4.[object], 5.[object], etc also works.
    WHAT IS THIS REAL OMG
  • edited April 2016
    Shaddus said:
    You can't make everyone happy. Ever.

Some day, your favorite god is gonna die, go back into the Void, get eaten by a soulless or some other analogy to "go inactive". It's gonna happen, because irl things happen. Don't get angry at them. Trust me, it doesn't do any good. Also, don't be afraid to email them at (yourgodsname)@lusternia.com and thank them if they've really went out of their way lately.

The first part. Yes. Sometimes. Maybe.

Emailing the god only helps if they actually check that email (I know some gods have said they don't check it and that messages are a better way of ooc contact).

----

(As long as you are not breaking game's rules), there is no wrong way to play. Interactions, while important to some, are not required to have fun. Find what you enjoy and do that.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Shedrin said:
    You can add "here" to the end of any command to only work with objects in the room, as opposed to in your inventory.

Not any command.  GREET *MOB* HERE does not work. :(
  • Shedrin said:
    You can add "here" to the end of any command to only work with objects in the room, as opposed to in your inventory.

I didn't know that! I've only been here, like, forever.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    It's also slightly buggy. For instance, having to touch something in the room to activate it may not work if you have to TOUCH whatever HERE
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.