Expanded Customizations

So the one thing that keeps me from a lot of customization is action lines (nose scent, aethersuit turrets, etc) that can't be redone, or so I have been told. I would love if we would be allowed redo such lines (while I think the aethergoop is a good start to such reskins, it is just not enough for me when none of the choices are to my liking).

Another thing I would love is the ability to have an alternate description, changed on an action such as wear or wield. For example, if I want to customize an item that changes size as I wield/unwield it, while I can have the wield/unwield reactions to show the change, the actually description stays the same at full size thus causing slight immersion breaking when unwielded.

is this such a thing even possible code-wise? And a question moreso towards @Estarra , what are the chances of us ever getting something like this if it is possible?

Comments

• I think changing action lines for some things definitely should not be allowed. Notably, things that will have an impact on PVP. It makes sense that some of those lines need to be standardised so as to not give an edge to those with the ability to fork out to get customisations for their lines.

The alternative to that will be to make short action-messages the same way we have aff-messages. Where every activity or ability that is PVP related generates a system message that is standardised, short and meant specifically for triggering. Something like this:

Lerad snorts and sniffs in the air with his pig nose.

Lerad used: Scent.

In which case it will become okay to change the action lines. Sort of like the same concept with dramaturgy - the aff-messages are what makes the customisability of dramaturgy attacks acceptable. Some PVP actions don't give aff-messages, though, and those would be the ones that should not be customisable unless we get action-messages of the sort I demonstrated above.

• Ayisdra said:

So the one thing that keeps me from a lot of customization is action lines (nose scent, aethersuit turrets, etc) that can't be redone, or so I have been told. I would love if we would be allowed redo such lines (while I think the aethergoop is a good start to such reskins, it is just not enough for me when none of the choices are to my liking).

Another thing I would love is the ability to have an alternate description, changed on an action such as wear or wield. For example, if I want to customize an item that changes size as I wield/unwield it, while I can have the wield/unwield reactions to show the change, the actually description stays the same at full size thus causing slight immersion breaking when unwielded.

is this such a thing even possible code-wise? And a question moreso towards @Estarra , what are the chances of us ever getting something like this if it is possible?

It has been offered in very rare circumstances, as I recall, since it takes a lot more work than customizing a description. Descriptions are handled via the OLC system where you make rooms/items/etc in the game itself, so they can be done more or less on the fly, but as far as I am aware customizing a use message requires a fair bit of backend code work, which is something far fewer people are qualified or able to do.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • @Ayisdra what you describe in your second paragraph is doable, easily too. Sure, whatever we'd have to edit with Rapture is a challenge but wield/unwield can be overriden with OLC in most instances. Desc changed too. You'd need to specify what you want and on what you want it in more detail though if you were to hit up artifacts@lusternia.com.