Warrior/Knight class questions: differences between Pureblade and Blademaster

Comments

• Correct
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks for all the input so far.

Another question: Is Crow a suitable sub-skill for a Warrior? I did play Lusternia, long ago, and I remember it not being one, but it suits my imagined RP and I wonder whether the Overhaul hasn't changed things.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited August 2016
    Aisyrion said:
    Thanks for all the input so far.

Another question: Is Crow a suitable sub-skill for a Warrior? I did play Lusternia, long ago, and I remember it not being one, but it suits my imagined RP and I wonder whether the Overhaul hasn't changed things.
    I'll jump on this one.

I'm a horrible warrior when I play one. That being said, Crow is horribly underrated IMO, and my favorite skillset in the entire game. A skill that does a massive chunk of self healing, a roomwide effect that does damage based on enemy bleeding, a passive effect in your room that causes bleeding in enemies, a small but decent amount of passive healing in Crowform while hunting, and other things. It's not a powerhouse, but it's really strong if you're inventive, and especially if you cause bleeding with your spec. It does take a lot of prep (gathering carrion, building a nest and upkeeping it, and so on), and it's semi power hungry, but I love it.

I don't think the overhaul has changed it much at all.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It's also nowhere near as weak as it was in comparison to Night just because the overhaul weakened Night pretty drastically, so it's no longer a clear-cut choice.  I still think that Night's probably "better" from a set-and-forget standpoint (just have to release shadows in the room you're in and you get a very significant buff), but there's no longer as wide a gulf between the two and you can probably make Crow work for you.
  • Most warrior tertiaries aren't going to help much in achieving a warrior kill directly. So I wouldn't look for that. IMO, Night = defense, a little bit of damage (drink, nightgaze/nightkiss, flight). Crow = utlity (squall, flying, totem/nest). Tracking = utility + group support (traps, bond unite, bond tracking).
    For Night, don't forget Bonds/Brumetower too.  Situational, but can be very nice.
  • I actually did forget. I kinda think of them as Wiccan things.
    Shedrin said:
    I actually did forget. I kinda think of them as Wiccan things.
    Probably because Narynth flexed to Harbinger and we haven't had a lot of other Night-warriors in a while (I'm either Crow or Tracking, but usually Tracking these days).  Only really need one person to do those things, and better to let a Wiccan have it while we do other things.
  • edited August 2016
    Crow in general is alright. It's greatest issue is that carrion that you can carry with you is a very limited commodity and requires summoning your nest to replenish. It's not good for prolonged engagements. Even with that aside, the benefits it does provide are pretty meh. Nice to have belch and what not but they aren't really game changers. 

Night is a group powerhouse, but you generally only ever need one night user at any given time. Multiples tend to get redundant, because shadows, brume, bonds etc don't overlap. A single Night user (like me) can generally cover the bases. The individual benefits come from drink and flight, lash for the odd occasions warriors want to drain mana.

Good news is Night is no longer wildly superior to Crow! Bad news is that's because they made Night worse rather than Crow better. Tracking tends to be king these days.

Crow PB could have some solid group potential due to how well bleeds stack in Glom!
  • edited August 2016
    If you decide to pick up tracking you'll probably have to transcend enivronment as well.
  • Rolsand said:
    If you decide to pick up tracking you'll probably have to transcend enivronment as well.
    Well, I'm gonna start with 8.5k+ credits, so that's no object, really. I did sort of want to have a magic skillset for my tert, but maybe I'll consider doing otherwise.

Thanks again for all of the information and help, everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. PB and Crow sounds like a cool synergy, but equally - and maybe it's just my rudimentary understanding of these skills - affliction stacking seems more interesting me than building bleeding.
  • Unless you really enjoy people on your side screaming at you to deal with pits(tracking is pits and the occasional springtrap. They could delete the entire skillset other than those two and nobody would realise), do not go tracking. Your life will revolve around doing nothing but trip trap conceal trap ad nauseam.

I am one of the most active trackers and I have to flex to a whole new class now and then to take a break because to be quite honest, pits made the whole skillset completely unenjoyable for me.
  • edited August 2016
    Aisyrion said:
    Rolsand said:
    Well, I'm gonna start with 8.5k+ credits, so that's no object, really. I did sort of want to have a magic skillset for my tert, but maybe I'll consider doing otherwise.

Thanks again for all of the information and help, everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. PB and Crow sounds like a cool synergy, but equally - and maybe it's just my rudimentary understanding of these skills - affliction stacking seems more interesting me than building bleeding.
    Tbh if you have that amount of credits I would suggest going tracking.

• Enyalida said:
    Sorry, you're probably right on that one. It probably is currently locked to field plate now, but it should be pretty easy to get it switched to all comparable types of armor. Paging @Iosai and @Estarra on that one!
    And the slow reply of the month goes to....me!

Fullplate, fieldplate, scalemail, and chainmail armour offer the same protection (20%). Fullplate and fieldplate armour can be marked as MasterArmour for the increased protection (25%).
  • I've been using night myself. Its got some handy abilities in it but a lot of what it does doesn't really do anything for a warrior. I'll run through what I've found.

Flight is kind of handy to get around carcer to leave a room quickly to avoid instakills or as a general random escape skill. It's got a fairly high equi recovery time so don't think its a get out of rail free card and most people will beable to sniff and find you before you recover but it has saved me from a kill once or twice.

Brumetower and bonds stops people going into the trees or magic travel, both very useful but like everyone said you only need one night user for it so if there are any shadow dancers around they can handle them.

Steal adds a very small amount of extra damage to your strikes about 100 per strike but you don't want to use it in groups as you can only steal someones shadow once and its much better to let the shadowdancers steal so they can play with aeon.

On stealing the linked in ability of twist may have some use, I've played with it a bit but the problem is there is not much a warrior can do to capitalize on the afflictions it gives. Its got potential but.

Drink is very good, it heals your vitals and also cures an affliction once every 10 seconds. It only takes 0.5 seconds to release shadows so you can drop it easily in most rooms when fighting. Also it stops enemies mana regen, stacking bleeding or brusing is very difficult anyway so every little helps to stop easy clotting.

Nightkiss is an odd one it gives damage resistance which is nice but it says it improves our weapons but it dosn't seem to do anything that I can tell, it dosn't speed us up or do any extra damage from my testing.

I'm guessing maybe nightkiss dosn't effect us because it used to be linked to weapon stats and nothing have changed yet, something to envoy maybe.

• Nightkiss and Moon equivalent are still pre-overhaul and probably need to be brought into the buff system when @Iosai does her post-overhaul catchup. I would suggest talking to your envoy about them. Perhaps they will just get removed from the system entirely as it is already very easy to cap your main damage types at top tier.
  • For clarification, drink should equate to a sip's worth of healing once every 10 seconds. 

Nightkiss used to give a weaponsaura that buffed the stats of your weapon across the board, which is what it made the best for warriors. I don't know if it was ever converted to the overhaul system or repurposed.
  • I've not tried it myself but tracking does seem the potentially superior skill set for group and solo combat. Even ignoring traps it gives you passive hinder from clamp and damage from the wolf plus a small bit of extra wounding and a balance boost in some environments. Even ignoring the traps these minor buffs seem to give more than crow or night do although I'm not that familiar with crow to be honest.
  • Demartel said:
    Nightkiss and Moon equivalent are still pre-overhaul and probably need to be brought into the buff system when @Iosai does her post-overhaul catchup. I would suggest talking to your envoy about them. Perhaps they will just get removed from the system entirely as it is already very easy to cap your main damage types at top tier.
    It'd be sort of a shame, though, I think, giving how RPly cool it is to sheathe the blades of your weapons in moonlight or darkness/shadow.

Iosai said:
    Enyalida said:
    Sorry, you're probably right on that one. It probably is currently locked to field plate now, but it should be pretty easy to get it switched to all comparable types of armor. Paging @Iosai and @Estarra on that one!
    And the slow reply of the month goes to....me!

Fullplate, fieldplate, scalemail, and chainmail armour offer the same protection (20%). Fullplate and fieldplate armour can be marked as MasterArmour for the increased protection (25%).
    Do you think chainmail and scale could be made MasterArmour-able? Given that it requires Transcendent, anyway? I realize you've still probably all got a lot of Overhaul stuff on your plate (pun unintended), but I for one would super appreciate it :)

Thanks again for being so helpful, everyone.
  • edited August 2016
    Hounds are also very useful for searching hidden items.
  • Plus also pits seem really important for group combat.
  • Hunting/Tracking has lots of utility yes. In combat you will be the "disarm the traps here! Hurry up! Put a pit north!" guy. If you can handle that, then tracking is great. If you get tired of people telling you to do what you already are doing, but they don't pay attention to you doing it, then tracking is not for you. Like I said, I take breaks from it, because it's easier than telling people to STFU and let me do my thing.

I can't speak for Night or Crow, but both Stag and Moon are superior when it comes to 1vs1. Tracking is crowd control.
  • I'm thinking with just crunching the some basic numbers that tracking is defiantly better for warrior offence, wound building, damage and affliction building than night, I don't have timing on any other skill sets abilities though.

Night is defiantly superior to tracking for defs though. 
  • Keep in mind tracking has a higher chance to hit with poisons. 
  • Thats part of why I'm looking at tracking as the better skill set for afflictions as well. 
  • Keep in mind tracking has a higher chance to hit with poisons. 
    Veyils said:
    Thats part of why I'm looking at tracking as the better skill set for afflictions as well. 
    So would that factor help me to pull off Eviscerates better as a Blademaster, in any kind of remotely direct way?
  • Short answer yes.
  • I've been testing the poisoning abilities. Even with combatstyle poisonist, focus poisons and the honed enhancement, it's still a pretty low chance for the poison to even come off the blade, and then there's the shrugging chance beyond that. So it's not reliable, but when going for eviscerate, and for general hindering output, every percentage point helps.
  • That was the long answer. I found the same things. I even asked ieptix at one point to look into those things actually functioning, but never got a response.
  • I actually wanted to envoy Intensify increasing your chance to apply a poison based on how many affs the person has. Instead of it increasing damage based on affs, because blademaster is not a damage spec it is an affliction spec