Aethergoop Scarves

Comments

• Is vampiric still at 33% of max hp? 

Blood scarf isn't going to be used purely because anyone who can afford to use these will already be at 13/13 to all of the damage types they care about.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Shedrin said:
    I think blood red scarf will work well for monks. They can stop the bleeding with haemophilia + dust stack and/or stuns or whatever else. For warriors, less useful, but could have some impact in groups.

The blood red and Armoured scarves can be permanent if you never log out? I'd make them time-based.
    From what I read it's the user gets a damage buff based on how much they're bleeding.

Not how much their target is.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Karlach said:
    Shedrin said:
    I think blood red scarf will work well for monks. They can stop the bleeding with haemophilia + dust stack and/or stuns or whatever else. For warriors, less useful, but could have some impact in groups.

The blood red and Armoured scarves can be permanent if you never log out? I'd make them time-based.
    From what I read it's the user gets a damage buff based on how much they're bleeding.

Not how much their target is.
    Oh. Weird. I've changed my mind, not effective. In any situation where you're bleeding enough for it to be useful, you'll probably want to run or use hinder rather than damage. Maybe I could see keeping 100 bleed around, maybe.
  • edited November 2016
    Good point (although bad AFKers!); will last 10 IG days.
  • Karlach said:
    Blood scarf will never get used due to most systems auto curing clot to zero.

And it's unlikely you'll see people focus on a work around due to the risk of pureblades.

Edit: See previous question regarding vitae and other instant revive effects on the headless scarf. also the 5% resistance tooltip could do with clarification regarding resistance to what, damage types? Summoning?

Also most people in higher tier stuff will have 10/10 or higher damage anyway so its kinda useless to them.
  • Basically most of these will be mostly used for ascension/anniversary and the odd fight where someone wants to spend a few credits to nuke someone. If this was intended to be a gold and comm sink I don't think it'll have much success since these occurrences won't come very often.
  • I think the rainbow scarf should just become a goop artie. Maybe 4000 goop/200 credits.

Maybe the same for shifting at 5000 goop/250 credits or something.
    The bashing one will almost certainly see use. It will swing between roughly a 3-8% dps increase, depending on crits and uptime.

It will likely operate at a financial loss, but it should be sustainable to see use in certain end game bashing areas to clear them out faster.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Karlach said:
    The bashing one will almost certainly see use. It will swing between roughly a 3-8% dps increase, depending on crits and uptime.

It will likely operate at a financial loss, but it should be sustainable to see use in certain end game bashing areas to clear them out faster.
    I don't know about that. I bash very fast as it is and I don't really see myself spending a few credits for that little bit of extra bashing speed with 1) the essence cap, 2) the gold throttle and 3) high end bashing being somewhat limited in variety. Right now the game has so much going for it for people who want to just grind endlessly all day.
  • It will be one extra thing needed for top tier bashing in death events, though.
    I will put my hand up now and say I'll take it for larva bashing, it's all I need to get 2 larva in under an hour

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Yeah for the purposes of a gold sink, this promo wont do anything. all of these effects might as well be plain goop arties if they're always gonna be situationally useful anyway . 
  • Shedrin said:
    It will be one extra thing needed for top tier bashing in death events, though.
    Yeah that's what I'm saying. They're too expensive to use most of the time but for the big events with prizes on the line these will be almost necessary to have a shot at winning.
  • edited November 2016
    So its basically just a case of creating more outliers for major events then.

A 60% instant cast damage ability is crazy at face value though. Is it fire damage? Is it buffed by buffs and reduced by resistances?
  • Veyils said:

A 60% instant cast damage ability is crazy at face value though. Is it fire damage? Is it buffed by buffs and reduced by resistances?
    Yes, it's fire damage; yes, it's buffed/resisted like normal damage.
  • Iosai said:
    I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who does this, but I totally chill in news for hours, because defences are expensive here. :/
  • Falmiis said:
    Is vampiric still at 33% of max hp? 

Blood scarf isn't going to be used purely because anyone who can afford to use these will already be at 13/13 to all of the damage types they care about.
    Can you think of an alternative that might be preferrable?
  • edited November 2016
    Iosai said:
    Veyils said:

Ouch thats going to hurt, two people can easily instant shot one person then.

Are they consumed in the arena?
    Iosai said:
    Falmiis said:
    Is vampiric still at 33% of max hp? 

Can you think of an alternative that might be preferrable?
    Immediately I start thinking of buffs that would be worth the risk of opening yourself up to bleed based damage, none of these however are balanced.

Regeneration tick speed,
    Balance/EQ bonuses.
    Damage increase that lies outside of the /10-13 system.

The problem is there's not a great deal that is worth taking constant damage, and subjecting yourself to potential burst, and it's hard to balance it incase someone finds a way to sustain that kind of malus and suddenly is running round with a very powerful buff.

• It's 1/10, too. It's those final 1-3 points that you want. There's enough buffs to hit 10 without this, I think?
  • How about if we open it up to anything bleed-related, not necessarily just bleed on the owner? It could be as Est described previously, a whip-based scarf that gives an "affliction"/detrimental effect to the victim. Does that open up better options?
  • Veyils said:
    Iosai said:
    Veyils said:

Ouch thats going to hurt, two people can easily instant shot one person then.

Are they consumed in the arena?
    As per the update, it's based on the target's current health at the time of the attack, so two attacks alone will not cause death.
  • edited November 2016
    Breandryn said:
    It's 1/10, too. It's those final 1-3 points that you want. There's enough buffs to hit 10 without this, I think?

Yea if you have the rune and fairly standard buffs you can hit 13/13 sort of easily enough.

Hmm 60% of current health isnt bad then.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Iosai said:
    How about if we open it up to anything bleed-related, not necessarily just bleed on the owner? It could be as Est described previously, a whip-based scarf that gives an "affliction"/detrimental effect to the victim. Does that open up better options?
    Maybe add periodic burst vessels to the owner's attacks? Like, every 5s or so the next attack deals a number of burst vessels in addition to its normal effect for the next x minutes.
    Iosai said:
    How about if we open it up to anything bleed-related, not necessarily just bleed on the owner? It could be as Est described previously, a whip-based scarf that gives an "affliction"/detrimental effect to the victim. Does that open up better options?
    It certainly allows for alternative ideas, I'm wondering if there's something where it can cause bleeding/require target to be bleeding, and affects the clot mechanic in some form or another, but then it becomes a crutch for certain classes and gah this one isn't fun to try and balance.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Breandryn said:
    Iosai said:
    I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who does this, but I totally chill in news for hours, because defences are expensive here. :/
    Just a little FYI, the afk policy was changed a little while ago - it's now perfectly allowed to afk in manses.

• FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited November 2016
    I don't think there is much we can do with the bleed mechanic that will both be useful to more than a small subset of classes without making those classes too powerful. Right now we're looking at passive effects so it makes it much harder to balance than with some of the other scarves. Maybe we could just make it do a large amount of bleeding on a 4 second balance or something. I don't necessarily like it, but if we're going to have the fire/vampiric scarves we might as well make another active skill so there's actually an opportunity cost to using it.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I'm against moving the rainbow scarf to being an artefact: see my previous point about people wanting to show support without having as easy access to credits/goop as a combatant would. 
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Tremula said:
    I'm against moving the rainbow scarf to being an artefact: see my previous point about people wanting to show support without having as easy access to credits/goop as a combatant would. 

Seems sort of ok, I mean your paying to get a special benefit that isn't really needed but is a nice bonus.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Increasing the price and moving to becoming an artefact negates the 'nice bonus' and it becomes another glamrock. Nice to have, but unnecessary, and no longer serving its (seemingly) intended purpose as a goop/gold/comm sink.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."