Vae Victis! A Roman Mafia Game. CLODIUS AND EMPERORS WIN!

Comments

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I don't particularly trust Cyndarin or Ess, honestly, I just understand the absolute refusal of logic that would have them both share the exact same power. There are very few town-related day only options, and mine has seen play in nearly every recent game that has gone through. I'm one of the most interesting Roman Emperors that has ever lived (seriously. once names are revealed [and confirmed true by mod] read up on me. my eyes boggled), and I'm your one-time governer. This is easily proved, and I'm face-claiming because our investigator did on day one and we've already had two mafia and the arson die, so my power's not as important at present since we have a fairly nice list of possibly confirmed towns. If @Yarith would like it demonstrated, I can provide him a meaningless barrier for the day. Then I will be vanilla, since Vivet unfortunately died before she could start throwing out extra charges on anyone not the arson.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Wait, so we have three doublevote claims on right now?
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Three-way claim of vote-related day-only powers, but only two claiming double votes (Cyndarin/Ess), and a separate governor (Tremula) claim.
  • governor does what again?

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Why are people always suspicious of me in every single game, lol. 

Ess was already the chief target of town due to being blocked. I could have quite easily stayed quiet and let the day carry on which would have likely resulted in Ess being lynched anyways. 

So instead of letting that happen, I decided to make up a power, cause a conflict between myself and Ess, and draw attention to myself? For....reasons?

• Ok, looking back at the rest of the day posts,having a brain fart, and looking back AGAIN to reread something, I'm going to PROSCRIBE: ESS . Cyndarin might be shady AF but that's normal Cyndarin vibes, and I haven't been getting a lot of scum vibes from him this game.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Vote Count
    Ess 3-Cyndarin, Tremula, Arix
    Cyndarin 1-Ess
    9 Players remain! 5 Votes required to lynch!
    Day 4 ends at 6:30 PM EST on November 5th!

What race of men is this? What land is so barbarous as to allow this custom?
    Virgil, Aeneid, 1.539-1.540

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    At this point, I'm just waiting for @Vatul
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Same.
  • Yarith said:
    I'm not entirely convinced by the current play of the events today, but I've been leaning towards Ess being a third party member for a while, personally. 

I'm still uncertain regarding the triple all day voting powers between Cyndarin, Ess, and Tremula and I definitely think suspicion lies there. 

I also do not know how I feel about Kaimanahi at all, and Vatul has been allowed to lurk in the shadows for a while now.

Reconsidering Ushaara's crisis list, the undeclared members were Sylandra, Cyndarin, Arix, Tremula, Ordassa, Vatul, and Yasei.

Yasei turned up positive for me for being town. Sylandra has no reason to contribute to the crisis win condition. Ordassa was a member of the town and couldn't have worked against us in the crisis. Judging by what Arix just said, I'm inclined to believe he is also town and is accounted for during the crisis phase. 

The only people who could have acted for the crisis that night to support the crisis (and attack Vivet) is between Cyndarin, Tremula, Ess, and Vatul. 

Tl;dr Cyndarin, Tremula, Ess, and Vatul are the only logical options that I can see as being mafia members/malignant 3p forwarding the crisis from the first crisis phase. Kaimanahi may or may not be mafia/3p, but they could not have advanced the crisis or killed from behind Hadrian's wall, when we know at least two of the above acted malignantly.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Holding off the proscribe for just a bit longer in case of a snipe, probably will proscribe Ess shortly. 
    If you truly are investigator, then my post revealing my role should have made you investigate that I'm telling you the truth. No one blocked me during the night, and once again I've seen nothing to indicate that I'm apart of the crisis, in fact, I don't even think I participated. Correct me if I'm wrong? A lot of posts here. I did not attack Vivet, I've refrained from using my night powers because no other townies have approached me for discussion. Continuing to throw my name up there is rather suspicious to me. If you want to know my night power @Yarith, I suggest you investigate me to confirm.

Ess doesn't really logically make sense with their argument, so I'm going to lynch them.

Proscribe: Ess
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
    edited November 2017
    Vote Count
    Ess 4-Cyndarin, Tremula, Arix, Vatul
    Cyndarin 1-Ess
    9 Players remain! 5 Votes required to lynch!
    Day 4 ends at 6:30 PM EST on November 5th!

What race of men is this? What land is so barbarous as to allow this custom?
    Virgil, Aeneid, 1.539-1.540

I've been assuming you're Elagabalus, Vatul, but are you saying your power requires people visiting you?
  • 4 votes?

@Cyndarin ?

Thought not!
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
    Probably Kistan but that only has one s
    ISSUE AN EDICT

• I am impressed!
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
  • I'm gonna be honest, @Vatul, your spiel about your role was largely confusing and contrarian to me. 

Despite it being one of.. three? Four posts thus far?, your role 'claim' also flip-flopped between 'I give people strange rewards' to 'I will give up my safety as town to prove my innocence' to 'I would like to keep my role secret unless it's absolutely necessary'. This could just be me, but it seems counterproductive for a town member to hold back due to not being approached. Further, you stipulate in your 'claim' post that if anyone declared town is approaching you to let you know. I'm torn between this being an active initiate item giving mechanic, or this being a baited malignant alert mechanic. Further still, I'm an alignment detective and if you put it forward that anyone 'declared town' can prove your role, that's more incentive for me, as the investigator, not to visit you. 

Anyway, unfortunate or not, I find your lack of participation and the conduct of your prior post sufficiently suspicious. 

Proscribe: Ess.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • I'll just get my things
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
  • Oh Cyndarin popped off while I was typing. Crepe Dios indeed.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
    All night actions are in. Night messages will start to go out shortly!
    edited November 2017
    Vatul has been modkilled. I encourage everyone to take a moment to peruse the rules in the first post.

------------

Day 5

Another day, another illicit proscription. At least, you don't remember sticking Ushaara's name on the list. Somebody must have put it there in the night. Illegal though it may have been, people seem to have taken advantage of the situation. You find Ushaara's body with several deep wounds in its back, just sitting in the streets.

---------------

Vatul was Elagabalus!

You are the reason that many classicists assume George R.R. Martin is one of their own, since you are basically Joffrey. You did a lot of crazy things during your reign, but the most amusing one is the lottery. You decided that a lottery would be a great way to raise money. You handed out prizes like land and slaves. People loved it.

Then you started handing out prizes like the winner's death warrant, or a box full of bees. You even started launching free tickets into the crowds. That was really popular, except when the tickets were actually snakes.

Your own grandmother plotted to have you killed, and you probably deserved it.

Imperator: You were an emperor of Rome, and you will see the eternal city triumph over her enemies. You win with the town!

The Lottery: You run a lottery that nobody wants to win. At night, you may kill a player. You may only do this twice. [2-shot vigilante]

Ushaara was Caligula!

You have a terrible reputation. People said that you were crazy! You were, of course, but that isn't the whole story.

The first few months of your reign were great! People called you the new Augustus, and they all had high hopes for the future. Then you got sick, and people thought you were going to die. You got better, in the sense that you survived. You got worse in the sense that you came out of it slightly crazy.

Imperator: You were an emperor of Rome, and you will see the eternal city triumph over her enemies. You win with the town!

Mixed Blessing: Your reign could easily have gone differently if you had managed to stay healthy. Who knows how it will go this time around? You assume the role of the first town player to die. [Copycat]

Clarification edit: Ushaara absorbed Hadrian's power to become a blocker.

---------------
    Day 5 begins now!
    6 Players remain! 4 Votes required to lynch!
    Day 4 ends at 11 AM EST on November 7th!

"Thine, Roman, is the pilum:
              Roman, the sword is thine,
         The even trench, the bristling mound,
              The legion's ordered line;
         And thine the wheels of triumph,
              Which with their laurelled train
         Move slowly up the shouting streets
              To Jove's eternal flame.

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, The Prophecy of Capys

Whoa, rando modkill. And then there were six.

So because we don't have a lot of apparent investigative capability, I thought a lot about the game last night in the hopes of drawing some conclusions around its odd setup. Maybe this isn't the right way to think about proceeding, and I'm curious what the mafia veterans might propose at this stage in the game. But, I think it'd be a beneficial discussion, so here goes:

1) There have been a lot of kill roles for a game of this size. We have the rebel scum kill, the arson-bomb, the serial killer, and now a vigilante with Vatul's reveal. This leads me to believe that this game was just the ultimate shootout, and/or, there are also protective roles. I am more inclined to the latter, given that Sidd had a strongman mafia kill, which is designed to bypass such abilities. That said, the only "protective" role we had revealed was the blocker (which only by luck made it past night 1), so I have to believe that there is at least one or two protectors among us.

2) To follow on the previous point, if there are protectors among us, then we have the difficult choice of revealing our roles, in the hopes of poking holes in stories, but at the expense of exposing our protectors. At this point, half of us have not declared our roles: Arix, Yasei, and myself. I'm willing to claim, if that's what we consider is best, but I don't want to make that call myself. Any thoughts on this?

3) There have been a peculiar number of supposed abilities in this game centered around the voting mechanic. We know that Cyndarin has a 2-vote weight ability. Supposedly Tremula has a governor mechanic (of which I'm not sure I quite understood the details). There was also the +1 vote on Sylandra Day 2. And Shaddus' body revealed the mob mentality crisis for the rebels. I don't have any solid conclusions on this, but I am inclined to believe that the mafia would really be the benefactor of additional vote weights or taking advantage of voting mechanics. So, generally, I feel that Cyndarin and Tremula could be the remaining scum pair, or maybe at least they are of opposite alignments.

4) To also piggyback on the previous point, I'm going propose that people be conscientious about when and how we vote moving forward in the game, particularly because so few are needed to push the lynch. We know that supposedly there are vote modifying abilities in the game (at least Cyndarin's double-vote) and we really don't want to provide the means for ninja lynches.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    As to your number three, I hope that someone will be able to confirm that I am not. You see, I got a message for the first time last night, and apparently my pleasant night at home was because I had philosophers over for dinner. I'm hoping that's an investigation at work but seeing as I wasn't pitch drunk, I don't it highly unlikely. Second, I think Ushaara might have blocked me last night, because I found out someone built a wall around my house that I had to spend all night tearing down. So we have at least one, potentially two actions on me last night out of all the remaining six. 

Also, a governor can prevent one person from being lynched in the day phase. I cannot target myself either, which is why I offered to use it on one of the few confirmed town people I was able to remember while being p drunk.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    ...didn’t I just confirm myself yesterday.
    You confirmed your power against a third party. I don’t think that absolves you from the possibility of being scum-aligned.
  • Does anyone know why Vatul was modkilled?
    Arix said:
    Does anyone know why Vatul was modkilled?
    Breach of rules.
  • So I guess Yarith investigated Tremula?