Competitions (bashing, influencing, questing, etc.)

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Eventru said:
    All ice creatures have laughable attacks, because only one ever attacks at a time.
    Maybe they should be berserk and track. Though that would make them essentially impossible to bash.
    I will bet you that I can still bash them; I'd just adapt my Wasset hunting script to do it.

If I can bash wassets solo in permanent aeon, I'm pretty sure I can handle the ice-critters!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited February 2013
    Full mound aggro would be amazing. It just means people would have to bash down the tiers instead of just whacking everything at each level and moving on.

Edit: I should elaborate.

As things stand Icewynd skews out of the game's risk vs reward when bashing. Falling into mounds isn't so much a risk as it is a stupidity check. If the frequency of Larva was raised the xp toned down and the damage of Ice Devils slightly adjusted, then Icewynd would actually be a brilliant hunting ground. The berserk idea is not as silly as it sounds, the only issue would be when you've got Lemure/Mane/Imp/Eyebane/Skull/Fiend/Devil/Devil on you, but with a slight adjustment to Ice Devil damage that'd actually make for good bashing.

If you can make the damage akin to the average (with the exception of rooms where all hell broke loose because someone picked up brains left right and center) amounts you get in the Gutter, it'll even out.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• The fiends were still giving out double experience. This is now fixed!

Are they aggro yet?
  • Zvoltz said:

The fiends were still giving out double experience. This is now fixed!

Hey, did I call it or did I call it?
    edited February 2013
    Zvoltz said:
    And thus Icewynd is somewhat fixed. Thanks!

(Can we get that higher spawnrate please? 4 mounds per 4 hours is still kinda low)

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• They're also aggressive and track now. Haven't had a chance to look at their attacks, they may get a further boost later, we'll see.

And no, definitely not boosting their spawn rate.
    And suddenly there's a furious recoding of autobashers as people realise they can't bash out an entire level now.

This is an awesome series of changes, thank you.

• It'll be interesting to see how people handle them. I'm not sure how well someone can solo them now.
    edited February 2013
    Eventru said:
    It'll be interesting to see how people handle them. I'm not sure how well someone can solo them now.
    Still feasible.

I wasn't even using Drink.

Just need to be a lot more careful!
    Eventru said:
    It'll be interesting to see how people handle them. I'm not sure how well someone can solo them now.
    They'll definitely be doable for highend bashers. You've removed the midlevel farmers that were going up there as soon as they had Fire/Div/Blunt attacks that could powerlevel, and a lot of low end or squishy Demigods will be put off.

If you do it right the most you'll face at any time is the list I put above of 1 of everything and 2 Devils. That's damagewise no different to walking into a mixed room of 3-4 shamblers and hulking zombies. Only with less bleed and clotting spam, and more sipping fire potions.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Squishy demigods, forever cursed. (My symbol strike of black nil fire should totally count as a fire attack)

• >---------------------------[ Changelog Entry #280 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Eventru, Crown of the Exalted       Date: 2013-02-09 00:37:46

o The Ice Devils of Icewynd, terror of the trill tribes, are a fair bit
       more terrifying and flesh hungering. Beware!
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Oops?
  • Morkarion said:
    Zvoltz said:

(Can we get that higher spawnrate please? 4 mounds per 4 hours is still kinda low)
    It's 4 larvae that respawns 5 hours after first being killed.

Eventru said:
    They're also aggressive and track now. Haven't had a chance to look at their attacks, they may get a further boost later, we'll see. And no, definitely not boosting their spawn rate.
    I'll try it later, but I suspect I might still be able to handle them! I used to hunt by aggroing the whole room anyway (to make them stay in place).

If this means that the ice creatures will stop wandering away, woo! I don't have to manually target each creature to make them stay.
    Valen said:
    Morkarion said:
    Zvoltz said:

It's 4 larvae that respawns 5 hours after first being killed.

Eventru said:
    They're also aggressive and track now. Haven't had a chance to look at their attacks, they may get a further boost later, we'll see. And no, definitely not boosting their spawn rate.
    I'll try it later, but I suspect I might still be able to handle them! I used to hunt by aggroing the whole room anyway (to make them stay in place).

If this means that the ice creatures will stop wandering away, woo! I don't have to manually target each creature to make them stay.

Pretty sure it was only 4 hours, I've never had problems finding spawns that way.

The Devils also got a damage buff, so if you were just holding tank before it might be tricky now, if it was comfortable then it'll still be a good hunt. If anything it'll be faster and less hassle.

• edited February 2013
    Seems like everything is aggressive now only to the person that spawned them (everyone else that enters the room just chills them), and chase, and that devils got a new double-damage attack.

Lemures paralyze you. Imps bounce in and out. Eyebanes cause blacklung, Skulls break arms, Ice devils sprawl.  Seems like fiends just...freeze?

I suspect base damage on the ice devils is 1000, and super attack is 2000, before resistances are calculated.  Buffed quite a bit, though!  Icewynd is now a fair bit more challenging.
  • Oooh. I'll have to poke around after I've done Tzaraziko (again). Also, yeah, I think it's 4 hours. I used to do it alongside influencing the Mysrai godrealm.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Every form of the ice devil should give an affliction besides freeze now, give or take. Good luck!
    First thought: Wow.

Ok this is certainly the group bashing area that it was designed to be. The damage has been raised, the hinderance is through the roof, and the text spam is plenty. Some thoughts though...

Devils seemed to have gained a health boost, because they take forever to kill now, if this is the case was it necessary, considering they were already far tougher than anything else.

Mobs occasionally wander in and out which can be a pain in the backside for tracking where you're up to on your kill quota, consider they now track you is this necessary for them to wander?

It's entirely possible for people to be stupid, not realise what they're doing and suddenly swarm a room with 20+ icedevils, this is essentially a killroom now and can't be dispersed. Which means one of the four larva can't be used by anyone, do they have a code to disperse if no one is in their room after so long?

As a follow up.

Can you solo bash it? Yes

Is it worth doing? Probably not.

• edited February 2013
    Morkarion said:

Ok this is certainly the group bashing area that it was designed to be. The damage has been raised, the hinderance is through the roof, and the text spam is plenty. Some thoughts though...

Devils seemed to have gained a health boost, because they take forever to kill now, if this is the case was it necessary, considering they were already far tougher than anything else.

Mobs occasionally wander in and out which can be a pain in the backside for tracking where you're up to on your kill quota, consider they now track you is this necessary for them to wander?

It's entirely possible for people to be stupid, not realise what they're doing and suddenly swarm a room with 20+ icedevils, this is essentially a killroom now and can't be dispersed. Which means one of the four larva can't be used by anyone, do they have a code to disperse if no one is in their room after so long?
    They used to disperse after a while, no?

Also, I would like to take back my foolhardy assertion earlier in the topic that I could handle the new area without testing.  Definitely a lot more hindering and damage.
    I should clarify by disperse I mean they split up and wander away from each other. So people can pick off small groups of them as opposed to making it an impassable killbox.

• Morkarion said:
    I should clarify by disperse I mean they split up and wander away from each other. So people can pick off small groups of them as opposed to making it an impassable killbox.
    Limited testing suggests that they start roaming after a while.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'm not personally a fan of group bashing. If I've got a group of people together who all like each other and aren't the sort of person to charge in and die anyways, I don't tend to want to spend that time mashing a stratagem button to bash! That's what mindless aetherbashing is for! But if it floats your boat, I guess.
  • From what I've heard from people and seen personally in Icewynd, I agree that some changes were necessary, but that does kind of make me wonder where to bash between 80 and 100. Everyone basically said to go to Icewynd when you could, and now that Icewynd isn't doable for non-Demi's or solo bashers... what else is there? I mean, that someone can solo? Sometimes getting a group together (even if it's 2-3 people) can be really tedious. Also, it seems to be a kind of common confusion of where to bash between the 80-100 levels. As it stands, influencing is better than bashing if you have to do anything alone, but shouldn't there be an option to bash alone between that range of levels if you want to (without having to go to Astral since that's bashed out half the time anyway).
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Astral, undervault, kephera/illithoid, all highly viable bashing options. Once upon a time (only a year ago) there was no icewynd, and yet people still managed to get to demigod. In fact, they probably had to work a lot longer at it. Icewynd was broken, it's not supposed to be such a walk in the park to get to the higher levels.

Group bashing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but is has the benefit of a) you're interacting with people (which is a huge bonus to newer players to get them involved and drawn in) and b) you get through them quicker/can handle more/tougher mobs.

To add to the above, Gutter (at 90+ but you have to be careful for some classes, and well generally not gungho stupid unless you're one of the few supertanks in the game) and Lirangsha are also viable bashing areas, and influencing is far more viable now than it was previously.

Personally I'm glad to see Icewynd become a group spot, it's somewhere I can safely take the newbies without them lighting up on Who for roaming gank squads*. My last request would be for icediggers to have their xp/offering raised slightly to bring them into line with the values of frost fiends.

* Yes I know, I do it too, I don't need people to point that out :p

• So how about those aetherhunts?
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • edited February 2013
    Morkarion said:

Devil health hasn't changed, and I think only one denizen has had a single attack bumped. It's probably just the result of all the extra hindering and some extra freeze that is making you feel like you're talking more damage.

If they don't wander, 'killbox' rooms won't disperse eventually. You can't have it both ways.

Ice diggers are worth more than frost fiends. Remember that fiends had double the value because they were missed when stripping the extra experience - so their value has been halved. I just checked the fiends, for whatever reason when they tried to remove the double xp last night, it didn't work. I've fixed it, though.
    I use to be able to knock Devils over in a straight WSC. It's probably something my end, I don't tend to bash with such a low strength value (17 makes me weep)

As Valen said, mobs wander eventually. I was more concerned that they'd sit in one room, ala Astral deathrooms.

And Fiends were still bugged, that explains it. I'll be honest I'm really looking forward to getting a hunting group together and testing this properly, I know the change has made solo hunters a bit :( but it's more accessible to the masses now than it was before where a small group who knew spawntimes would just keep the place to themselves.