Problem: The Economy

12346»

Comments

• Luce said:
    Honestly one of the main concerns for using commodity costs as a baseline is that some professions alter the cost, either by making something that lasts longer (creating more value per commodity spent) or by making something for fewer effective commodities based on whether you have the artifact. As an example, I'm a chef with a spatula but (and I'm just picking on someone at random here and have no idea if they are a chef or have a spatula) Kalnid is a chef who does not. For 20 meat, 3 veg, 2 grain, Kalnid can, at Transcendent skill level, produce 2 or rarely 3 platters per COOK, and probably ~10 rounds of COOKing per coal spent. For the same 20 meat, 3 veg, 2 grain, I produce between 4-6 with a reliable 4 and an uncommon 5 plus the odd 6. In the same amount of time, I can produce about 45-50 more platters than Kalnid. If I push for balance bonuses, I can also squeeze a few more COOK commands per coal burned, which is going to factor into my costs overall. In order for Kalnid and I to be competitive, he has to take a loss on commodity costs.
    It's less egregious for some professions like Tailoring and Forging, but even in those, the market price will be set by the tradesman with the artifact, and novices/those without 200-400 credits to burn have a much harder time making a profit, if they can do so at all.
    Moving commodities to a time investment rather than a gold one would certainly help in that regard, but only if we (the players) self-police to prevent spatulas from bringing the price of bread to a single sovereign per loaf.
    With more complexity the current artifacts could be repurposed to provide a benefit within the system though, like the spoon arti might be repurposed to enable you to refine certain special materials in your orgs kitchen without having to travel around. If there's some form of minigame you could have artifacts that make it easier, just depends on how the system is designed.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    True. One baby step that could be made nearly immediately is something already suggested here, I think: having village comm quests shift or duplicate some of the produced comms to the player turning them in, and having the Obelisk give a report showing how much of what the village will next tithe. Right now only Trade Minister and his or her aides are able to see that information, and only if they can be bothered to go get it and put it into a human readable form. Whatever we move to in the end, the transparency and personal reward are probably going to be at least part of the final economic model, and if not it shouldn't be too hard to revoke that portion of things.
    Come to that, not all designs are created equal. Forging and jewellery especially have wildly varying commodity costs from one design to the next. How does one account for the fact that Greatrobes A are made from 80% silk, with gold tracery, steel reinforcements, and two mammoths required for an ivory-boned corset, while Greatrobes B are made from 100% undyed tweed cloth held together by hemp rope? They're mechanically the same right now, but Robe A likely costs quite a bit more than B to produce.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Luce said:
    True. One baby step that could be made nearly immediately is something already suggested here, I think: having village comm quests shift or duplicate some of the produced comms to the player turning them in, and having the Obelisk give a report showing how much of what the village will next tithe. Right now only Trade Minister and his or her aides are able to see that information, and only if they can be bothered to go get it and put it into a human readable form. Whatever we move to in the end, the transparency and personal reward are probably going to be at least part of the final economic model, and if not it shouldn't be too hard to revoke that portion of things.
    Come to that, not all designs are created equal. Forging and jewellery especially have wildly varying commodity costs from one design to the next. How does one account for the fact that Greatrobes A are made from 80% silk, with gold tracery, steel reinforcements, and two mammoths required for an ivory-boned corset, while Greatrobes B are made from 100% undyed tweed cloth held together by hemp rope? They're mechanically the same right now, but Robe A likely costs quite a bit more than B to produce.
    Forging is even worse.  A platinum scaled jacket, costing 14 platinum, is mechanically the same as a suit of fullplate that costs 250 commodities.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Part of that was the armor overhaul but even before, that's gonzo, yeah. Oof, and I don't want to think about the aethersuits, gnomish weapons, whips, etc. and how they factor into the economy discussion yet since their owners have essentially opted out of portions of the economy by dint of never having to worry about upkeep on weapons/armor that are mechanically as good as or better than anything a tradesman can produce. I'll just content myself with knowing that those all represent several million gold's worth of credits or goop each.
  • edited October 2018
    Implemented the commodity quest update being discussed here. Let me know how it goes and if there are any other 'baby step' ideas you might have!

Also, I am interested in gold sinks but it probably cannot involve credits, lessons or artifacts. We have ALWAYS been trying to brainstorm gold sinks!
    Estarra said:
    Implemented the commodity quest update being discussed here. Let me know how it goes and if there are any other 'baby step' ideas you might have!

Also, I am interested in gold sinks but it probably cannot involve credits, lessons or artifacts. We have ALWAYS been trying to brainstorm gold sinks!
    Just going to add it here so it can be reviewed / seen later (I know I already sent the list to you in-game, so please excuse the repetition!).

Some comm-quests exist but can't really be done right now (the only way to to do them is to raid enemy villages, murder their NPCs, and turn in the stuff that drops).  Nobody likes the spam that comes with village raids.  For a bit of time, Conquest gave you a bonus for spam-murdering villagers but when Glomdoring kept doing that to enemy villages every hour it got (rightfully!) fixed.

In particular, the following commodities have raid-gated quests: Fruits, vegetables, grain, rope, coal, iron, gold, silver, platinum, marble.

The quickest "fix" to these would be to make it so that the NPCs that hold the commodities can be begged from (they're all currently greedy).  It would enable the comm quests without requiring raiding.  The other alternative is to find things that exist in-game in a somewhat limited form that can be murdered and turned in, specific ones for specific quests (like some of the machines in Plaxios could be murdered and turned in to provide some metal parts, perhaps)-- that would require a bit more effort identifying good sources, though.

PS: I love the changes, being able to see what's going on is great and a direct reward for doing the quest is also wonderful.  If your comm shop is low on what you need (and it's not one of the raid-gated resources, at least), go out and put in a little work to get what you need without having to deal with the 10-purchase-limit!  Or if you're low on gold, or just don't want to pay comm-shop prices, you have that option too.
  • Estarra said:
    I think it's awesome you are demonstrating willingness to try economy-oriented changes, especially ones that are being suggested by the playerbase, @Estarra.

I hope this change is well-received by those it affects the most!

• I hope this change is well-received by those it affects the most!
    I'm actually wondering who this is?

Like, who is it that needs comms but doesn't have enough gold to just buy them from the shops?

Newbies typically don't have the skills to craft and if they did they'd also have the credits to sell a couple and have more than enough gold.
    Older players who do have the skills meanwhile can likely just go bashing quickly to also get enough money to skip the questing, especially if it's low when you also consider the likely difference in xp gain.
  • Saran said:

Like, who is it that needs comms but doesn't have enough gold to just buy them from the shops?

Newbies typically don't have the skills to craft and if they did they'd also have the credits to sell a couple and have more than enough gold.
    Older players who do have the skills meanwhile can likely just go bashing quickly to also get enough money to skip the questing, especially if it's low when you also consider the likely difference in xp gain.
    Honestly? I will do this. One of the big problems I have had with village commodity quests the entire 8 years I've been playing is that all the effort goes into a big, vacuous void. It was really only worth it to me to do for those village honours quests where you have to for hints, like Delport and Shanthmark. Now, I get rewarded for my time with a small amount commodities, and it gives me something to do, AND I can actually see my name in lights on the obelisk.

It's not a perfect fix for anything, no. But the goal was baby steps.

I also agree with Xenthos about the raid gated commodities, another village commodity quest peeve of mine. Make there be -some- way to get the items to turn in. Influencing would be good. Or maybe there's something else you could give them and they give you the turn-in item. If it somehow unbalances metal/marble/rope production, then it's probably fine to adjust down the tithing rates. Because people can actually generate the comms.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Stratas said:
    Saran said:

Honestly? I will do this. One of the big problems I have had with village commodity quests the entire 8 years I've been playing is that all the effort goes into a big, vacuous void. It was really only worth it to me to do for those village honours quests where you have to for hints, like Delport and Shanthmark. Now, I get rewarded for my time with a small amount commodities, and it gives me something to do, AND I can actually see my name in lights on the obelisk.

I also agree with Xenthos about the raid gated commodities, another village commodity quest peeve of mine. Make there be -some- way to get the items to turn in. Influencing would be good. Or maybe there's something else you could give them and they give you the turn-in item. If it somehow unbalances metal/marble/rope production, then it's probably fine to adjust down the tithing rates. Because people can actually generate the comms.
    Right and does that achievement of getting your name up there diminish when you realise that it's lessened because it's only people with the specific cross-section of interest that you're competing with?

Also, baby steps implies some sort of positive motion towards an actual goal, not stumbling around until the people that are unhappy give up and leave.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Stratas said:

Maybe kind of tie this into the idea I mentioned. Weakening these mobs makes them break down in (big, drawven) tears and go find the nearest pub to drown their sorrows in, removing the dwarf's production from the village for a time and dropping the raw commodity for you to pick up (or just handing it over directly). Empowering instead doubles their value for a time and has them hand you what they were carrying, since you inspired them to go get EVEN MORE!!! ?
  • Luce said:
    Stratas said:

Maybe kind of tie this into the idea I mentioned. Weakening these mobs makes them break down in (big, drawven) tears and go find the nearest pub to drown their sorrows in, removing the dwarf's production from the village for a time and dropping the raw commodity for you to pick up (or just handing it over directly). Empowering instead doubles their value for a time and has them hand you what they were carrying, since you inspired them to go get EVEN MORE!!! ?
    Just to highlight this the logical next "baby step" would be shuffling things around so that orgs actually feel it when you reduce their comm generation moving it directly towards a conflict mechanic.

So basically the first stage in fixing the economy is to make it relevant to combatants, joy.
  • Saran said:
    Stratas said:
    Saran said:

Right and does that achievement of getting your name up there diminish when you realise that it's lessened because it's only people with the specific cross-section of interest that you're competing with?

Also, baby steps implies some sort of positive motion towards an actual goal, not stumbling around until the people that are unhappy give up and leave.
    I'm not actually competing with anyone, so I don't understand the question. Is my feeling of doing something lessened by the fact that now people in the org I'm ostensibly doing it for now know I'm doing it if they care to check? Not really.

I'm also not going to be bitter that Estarra asked for something small that she personally could do right away, and she got a suggestion that she could implement, and she implemented it. You asked who wanted this, I said I did. It's not about comm generation, no, because I have more money that I can ever spend anyway. It's about putting something tangible in there to make it feel like I'm actually impacting something. "I do something, I get something for it" is a much better reward cycle than "I do something, and a number I never see is increased by an amount I don't know, and it never affects me anymore ever." I would have been even crazier about this change as a novice.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Luce said:
    Stratas said:

While weaken influence is somewhat better than killing, do realize if you get caught weakening villagers and it cause harm to the owner, you will just get enemied, and in the end just every non allied visitor will be enemied. Considering most village quests are tiered towards novices (though bored people mainly do it) do you really want such a culture to be created again
  • Stratas said:
    Saran said:
    Stratas said:
    Saran said:

I'm not actually competing with anyone, so I don't understand the question. Is my feeling of doing something lessened by the fact that now people in the org I'm ostensibly doing it for now know I'm doing it if they care to check? Not really.

I'm also not going to be bitter that Estarra asked for something small that she personally could do right away, and she got a suggestion that she could implement, and she implemented it. You asked who wanted this, I said I did. It's not about comm generation, no, because I have more money that I can ever spend anyway. It's about putting something tangible in there to make it feel like I'm actually impacting something. "I do something, I get something for it" is a much better reward cycle than "I do something, and a number I never see is increased by an amount I don't know, and it never affects me anymore ever." I would have been even crazier about this change as a novice.
    You also get that this thread is about fixing the economy and in the context of the other discussions that are happening right now it's about how that can also encourage players to stay, log in, or even return to the game. 

So yeah, I'm going to question the point in spending even the minor time it may have taken to implement this rather than spending that time coming up with a plan to resolve the broader issue and, given what people have already talked about in this thread and based on near 14 years of experience with the game, seems liable to become a distraction from actually solving the economy complaints because now people are wanting to be able to negatively impact others, which (as I mentioned above) turns into people wanting it to have an actual impact, which then turns into people upset about griefing through the mechanic, which leads to forum threads, which maybe years later turns into a nerf, which turns into people complaining that it doesn't do anything.
    Saran said:
    Stratas said:
    Saran said:
    Stratas said:
    Saran said:

You also get that this thread is about fixing the economy and in the context of the other discussions that are happening right now it's about how that can also encourage players to stay, log in, or even return to the game. 

So yeah, I'm going to question the point in spending even the minor time it may have taken to implement this rather than spending that time coming up with a plan to resolve the broader issue and, given what people have already talked about in this thread and based on near 14 years of experience with the game, seems liable to become a distraction from actually solving the economy complaints because now people are wanting to be able to negatively impact others, which (as I mentioned above) turns into people wanting it to have an actual impact, which then turns into people upset about griefing through the mechanic, which leads to forum threads, which maybe years later turns into a nerf, which turns into people complaining that it doesn't do anything.
    You already "negatively impact others" through the moving of resource-generating mobs back and forth (flipping furrikin from Estelbar to Acknor, silk spiders from Angkrag to Dairuchi, hemp farmers between Estelbar and Delport, etc).  These are all pretty low-level minor "conflict" things that exist right now and certain people take advantage of.  And, apparently, doing this thievery will now give you a direct comm too (it's considered a commodity quest).  People aren't generally complaining about the flipping of resource generating mobs too much, are they?  I don't hear about it, at least...

Will you get enemied if you're caught doing it?  Yes.  Do people do it anyways?  Yes.

However, to me is that it seems like it might be more effective to leave at least some of the commodity producers in the enemy village and just murder them every hour to get their comm resources vs. capturing them (the 'raid gating')-- once you're kidnapped them and brought them to your village, there is no way to get their commodities short of murdering all your own villagers and unenemying yourself.  I personally find that to be problematic.  There needs to be some way to get at the commodity without 1) Kidnapping them (putting them in your village is a permanent thing until someone else undoes it, so it's not something you can repeat like cows/rockeaters/sheep/etc), or 2) Killing them every hour (something we've tried to disincentivize doing in villages for other purposes, but still exists for these comms for some reason).

There isn't a need for any further negative impact than already exists to my mind, but people are free to offer ideas if they want.  I just think we need to loosen up their greedy little fingers a bit and let us get at those commodities somehow in a manner other than being mass murderers.
  • I can see the logic behind wanting more transparency on comm quests, that makes sense to me. So does getting a direct individual reward for helping the nation.

However, is one of the other goals of this commodity change direction to make comms cheaper/more readily available? As in, instead of having to spend as much gold to get the rarer commodities, I can instead go and spend a couple of hours doing village community quests to try and get the commodities I need directly for free, which has the side bonus of driving down the prices at my commshop for the remainder?

Not that I entirely disagree, just curious if this is intentional.
  • The comm quests were to demonstrate that we are willing to address your concerns and aren't all just talk. Since the number one complaint was not having anything meaningful to do on a daily basis, I thought this was a good 'baby step' we could implement over the weekend. It gives transparency to comm quests, you get immediately rewarded for doing the quest and spread saround commodities to individuals rather than gatekept by the orgs. For newbies who collect comms in these quests, will their city/commune comm shops buy them back?
    Anyway, obviously, it wasn't meant to 'fix' the economy or anything grandiose! I'm still interested in ideas for gold sinks and other solutions to help make the economy more fun. I think ultimately that should be the end goal, not some idealistic perfect economy where input equals output, but having enough things to do with your resources to make it fun. And if you need resources, enough things you can do to generate that resource.
    Some people think I shouldn't bother asking players to help brainstorm because I'm asking them to do my job, and some people are quite blunt that they don't think I'll ever do the right thing because I don't listen (or rather I don't listen to the right people), but for those who stick with me, I am really interested in your ideas and proposals to help the economy.
  • Damned if you do, damned if you don't, and damned if you can't. It is absolutely fricking tiring to watch this community sometimes.
  • Estarra said:
    The comm quests were to demonstrate that we are willing to address your concerns and aren't all just talk. Since the number one complaint was not having anything meaningful to do on a daily basis, I thought this was a good 'baby step' we could implement over the weekend. It gives transparency to comm quests, you get immediately rewarded for doing the quest and spread saround commodities to individuals rather than gatekept by the orgs. For newbies who collect comms in these quests, will their city/commune comm shops buy them back?
    Anyway, obviously, it wasn't meant to 'fix' the economy or anything grandiose! I'm still interested in ideas for gold sinks and other solutions to help make the economy more fun. I think ultimately that should be the end goal, not some idealistic perfect economy where input equals output, but having enough things to do with your resources to make it fun. And if you need resources, enough things you can do to generate that resource.
    Some people think I shouldn't bother asking players to help brainstorm because I'm asking them to do my job, and some people are quite blunt that they don't think I'll ever do the right thing because I don't listen (or rather I don't listen to the right people), but for those who stick with me, I am really interested in your ideas and proposals to help the economy.
    Except that it's not really anything meaningful and it's a really specific audience that it might appeal to, plus the availability can be limited to the point of an org not having any villages if they fare poorly in revolts.

And is it really gatekeeping if there's really no issue just grabbing the comms from the shop? I don't think I've ever had an issue getting comms when I wanted to craft. 

Why would the org buy them back if, from what I've been told, the orgs have a significant surplus of comms? Similarly, what price can the orgs set that's actually going to make it worth it while also not opening up the concern of getting flooded with thousands of useless comms that are sitting around in rifts from manse farms and the like.

Also, to point it out. The suggestions players have been providing aren't an "idealistic perfect economy", from what I have seen and suggested they're just trying to bring Lusternia up to what is now considered the basic level for MMOs and survival games. I.e what modern players are likely to expect from a game that advertises it's "extensive crafting system" as a selling point.